• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most important part of the article i posted last night.

According to a union source, the expectation is that the Heat will clear Bosh to play, although the timetable isn't determined, and it's unclear whether he would be available for every game.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard, the Heat would limit his travel

That makes a lot of sense. Managing minutes. Limiting Travel. More recovery time. All things that can help Bosh and his health situation and not be a detriment to the team preventing him from playing.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the worse analogy you've given on this board. How does this apply to a normal job? At most jobs you can be on blood thinners and be fine - to an extent. In sports it's a different story.
oh and the doctor doesnt know that its different in a sports environment--- his recommendation was based upon Bosh coming back and preparing the team's taxes. lol....shit-- you should prob. let the doc know that he will be playing basketball and not preparing car insurance quotes.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you cannot bar an employee from coming to a job because you are worried about being "safe than sorry" when a doctor says its safe.

Not rocket scientist what bskballer is saying here.
You can in this particular situation- when the work is contracted....Einstein.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree- lets hope that getting him on the court is a decision that both Bosh and the Heat have made reliant upon credible and objective medical advice.

The Heats biggest travel time
If he is cleared by a few other doctors then heck yeah

That's the whole thing here.
Anyone can find a doctor/expert to give an opinion they want if they can afford to invest the time/ money.

I'm not saying that is the case with Bosh. Obviously, we have no clue.

The issue is going to be if the Heat doctors refuse to clear him.

Then, the Heat would have to weigh that vs trying to reason if another teams doctor would clear him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard, the Heat would limit his travel

Both season, the clots formed during the brutal stretch of road games that the Heat annually have in Dec/Jan.

If he's back, I'm sure there will be strict monitoring all season, and would assume they would limit his travel on the long, extended road trips.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and the doctor doesnt know that its different in a sports environment--- his recommendation was based upon Bosh coming back and preparing the team's taxes. lol....shit-- you should prob. let the doc know that he will be playing basketball and not preparing car insurance quotes.

And funny that he's the only one that has cleared Bosh to play. I guess we'll ignore that most doctors would not clear Bosh. Keep making yourself look like a joke. I look forward to when you have me on ignore as well.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both season, the clots formed during the brutal stretch of road games that the Heat annually have in Dec/Jan.

If he's back, I'm sure there will be strict monitoring all season, and would assume they would limit his travel on the long, extended road trips.

So Bosh, whom's going to be by far our highest paid player will get to go ahead and sit out games. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heats biggest travel time

That's the whole thing here.
Anyone can find a doctor/expert to give an opinion they want if they can afford to invest the time/ money.

I'm not saying that is the case with Bosh. Obviously, we have no clue.

The issue is going to be if the Heat doctors refuse to clear him.

Then, the Heat would have to weigh that vs trying to reason if another teams doctor would clear him.
i dont think it even comes to the Heats doctors- i think it will come down to an impartial outside doctor through the league---- that would be, in my estimation, the most fair and reasonable way to do it.

if I was either the Heat or Bosh I would want to go through the league office and have every step carefully documented. If the Heat defer to the league office than its not on the Heat anymore- its on Silver.

I think that would be good for the Heat in another way too- in that if something does happen that is not incredibly serious- but is serious enough where things have to be re-evaluated- i think the league office would be more prone to grant the Heat's request for salary cap relief from the league.

if the Heat can say- we did X, Y and Z as you told us- and it just did not work out and he has to retire- i think the league would be more prone to listen to their arguments for cap relief and would be more prone to step in and discourage or even bar other teams from trying to give him yet another chance.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, you can. Just because one doctor clears an employee, doesn't mean the companies doctors have to clear him.

At my job, if one of my employees is injured on the job, they can only be cleared to return by the doctor the company sends them to. So, the employees primary care physician can clear them, but until the companies doctor clears them, I can't let them work.
actually- yah--- i totally understand if you are getting the open of Doctor Nick Riveria- but implicit in the statement is that its a credible doctor with approval from the league.

If the Heat had their own team doctor look at him- and said- NO he cant play---- FINE- then he wouldnt play---- but what you dont understand is- then he could just go to another team and totally fuck the Heats cap over in that they would owe him all the money- couldnt stretch (or amnesty him if there is another amnesty clause in a new CBA), and wouldnt even have him on the team anymore.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think it even comes to the Heats doctors- i think it will come down to an impartial outside doctor through the league---- that would be, in my estimation, the most fair and reasonable way to do it.

if I was either the Heat or Bosh I would want to go through the league office and have every step carefully documented. If the Heat defer to the league office than its not on the Heat anymore- its on Silver.

I think that would be good for the Heat in another way too- in that if something does happen that is not incredibly serious- but is serious enough where things have to be re-evaluated- i think the league office would be more prone to grant the Heat's request for salary cap relief from the league.

if the Heat can say- we did X, Y and Z as you told us- and it just did not work out and he has to retire- i think the league would be more prone to listen to their arguments for cap relief and would be more prone to step in and discourage or even bar other teams from trying to give him yet another chance.

Do you think Bosh would sign a legal document stating that if anything happens to him that he alone would assume all risk and liability ( blood clot related)?
If not, he shouldn't be cleared to play.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but implicit in the statement is that its a credible doctor with approval from the league.

There's nothing implicit in your statement at all. Here is what you said:

you cannot bar an employee from coming to a job because you are worried about being "safe than sorry" when a doctor says its safe.

You said "when a doctor says it's safe. The only thing implicit is that it has to be a doctor. Well, he has a doctor who says it's safe. Yet, he's still not cleared and neither the Heat nor the league have commented.

Bosh can get as many doctors as he wants to say it's safe. Unless and until the Heats doctors and/or doctors approved by the league clear him, it doesn't matter.

As for the rest of your post. Typical deflection on your part. What another team might or might not do, doesn't matter at this point.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bosh, whom's going to be by far our highest paid player will get to go ahead and sit out games. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

Actually sounds like Wade, 2014.

I'm not in favor of it at all.
Hopefully all will be clarified next month.

Basketball is such a contact sport.
I'm really not understanding how any doctor can say what is safe, and what isn't.
Hockey players bodies are covered from head to toe in thickly padded uniforms.
You can't use a hockey player example when saying a basketball player should be cleared.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing implicit in your statement at all. Here is what you said:

You said "when a doctor says it's safe. The only thing implicit is that it has to be a doctor. Well, he has a doctor who says it's safe. Yet, he's still not cleared and neither the Heat nor the league have commented.

Bosh can get as many doctors as he wants to say it's safe. Unless and until the Heats doctors and/or doctors approved by the league clear him, it doesn't matter.

As for the rest of your post. Typical deflection on your part. What another team might or might not do, doesn't matter at this point.

What another team might do is actually what does matter.
If another team clears him and he plays in enough games, the Heat takes the pay hit as well as the cap hit for the duration of the contract.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What another team might do is actually what does matter.
If another team clears him and he plays in enough games, the Heat takes the pay hit as well as the cap hit for the duration of the contract.

Ooh, didn't know that. I'd hope that other teams would figure there's a reason the Heat doctors won't clear him and would wouldn't even bother bringing him in. But, you never know. There may be someone willing to let him risk his life.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The way I've said it would go for weeks. Thank you.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooh, didn't know that. I'd hope that other teams would figure there's a reason the Heat doctors won't clear him and would wouldn't even bother bringing him in. But, you never know. There may be someone willing to let him risk his life.

Someone = Gilbert?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Wiggy and Turnup are right in that regards. It's essentially the Brandon Roy rule. However, this isn't a bad knee that we're talking about. You really think a team's going to take the chance of a major lawsuit given that Bosh has a higher probability of dropping dead on the court significantly compared to everyone else on the court?