• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again...i know reading is not your forte.

I said- and have repeatedly said over and over- that none of us know the full extent of information that is avaliable to the pertinent parties.

I have said OVER AND OVER- how I believe Bosh would not totally contradict a doctor's advice that told him he will risk irreparable harm or death if he got back on a basketball court.

I have ALWAYS maintained that Bosh's INSISTENCE to continue playing was strong evidence that he was getting credible advice that it was not only possible, but PROBABLE, that he could continue.

I was told how serious blood clots are with all kind of anecdotal "evidence" and personal stories about the seriousness of blood clots- as if anyone that can read would think otherwise.

Despite knowing how serious blood clots are, it was evident that more was going on behind the scenes than we were privvy too- and instead of agreeing with the majority who took the simple and uninformed stance that "blood clots are really serious- he should just retire"- these same people had the same lack of information that i did.

I kept coming back to- this guy is a former champion, has millions of dollars, yet INSISTS that he can play?--- Obviously he was getting medical advice that corroborated his stance--- and now???- it appears that unless there is a set back he will be playing and i cant be more happy for the guy. No one deserves to have their career cut short because of health issues.

its a good lesson about jumping to conclusions- ESPECIALLY when the information available to the public is only a FRACTION of the information available to the pertinent parties.

Didn't you also predict he'd be back for last years playoffs when Johnson chose the Heat?

IF there is proven medical science/treatment, as Bosh is stating, then it is good news.

The Heat really have no choice if they feel another team might clear him, so obviously it's a tricky situation.

As far as the seriousness off blood clots, be real, they ARE life threatening.

Let's hope Bosh isn't wrong on this decision, because if he is, he could one day be a sad 30 for 30 story.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't you also predict he'd be back for last years playoffs when Johnson chose the Heat?

IF there is proven medical science/treatment, as Bosh is stating, then it is good news.

The Heat really have no choice if they feel another team might clear him, so obviously it's a tricky situation.

As far as the seriousness off blood clots, be real, they ARE life threatening.

Let's hope Bosh isn't wrong on this decision, because if he is, he could one day be a sad 30 for 30 story.
I totally agree- lets hope that getting him on the court is a decision that both Bosh and the Heat have made reliant upon credible and objective medical advice.

and I did think that the Heat "going for it" by trading for Joe Johnson was an indication that Bosh would be back- as I was surprised that Johnson would join a team that had seemingly no chance to win. After subsequently signing in Utah, and the fact that the Heat were the team that could offer Johnson the most money and playing time last spring- its pretty clear where his priorities lie- money and playing time- which was surprising to me at the time considering this guy was- i believe- the 2nd highest player in the NBA for quite a stretch and has more money tahn he could ever spend (seemingly).

apparently playing time and money were more important than a chance to win it all---- not saying whether that is good or bad-- each guy has to make their own personal decisions.

"It is my contractual and professional obligation to be there," Bosh said. "Will I be cleared? I don't know. But I will play basketball in the NBA. ... This has been a struggle. This has not been easy."

this quote from the article has to of scared the beejezus out of the Heat management. If they barred Bosh and denied him his right to play- it would likely either end up in court- or they would release him opening him out to sign someone where else for a minimum salary while still being paid his entire Heat salary. The Heat have their hands tied big time.

Last edited:

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree- lets hope that getting him on the court is a decision that both Bosh and the Heat have made reliant upon credible and objective medical advice.

and I did think that the Heat "going for it" by trading for Joe Johnson was an indication that Bosh would be back- as I was surprised that Johnson would join a team that had seemingly no chance to win. After subsequently signing in Utah, and the fact that the Heat were the team that could offer Johnson the most money and playing time last spring- its pretty clear where his priorities lie- money and playing time- which was surprising to me at the time considering this guy was- i believe- the 2nd highest player in the NBA for quite a stretch and has more money tahn he could ever spend (seemingly).

apparently playing time and money were more important than a chance to win it all---- not saying whether that is good or bad-- each guy has to make their own personal decisions.

"It is my contractual and professional obligation to be there," Bosh said. "Will I be cleared? I don't know. But I will play basketball in the NBA. ... This has been a struggle. This has not been easy."

this quote from the article has to of scared the beejezus out of the Heat management. If they barred Bosh and denied him his right to play- it would likely either end up in court- or they would release him opening him out to sign someone where else for a minimum salary while still being paid his entire Heat salary. The Heat have their hands tied big time.

It'll likely end up in the NBA's ruling which is why they've been involved. And besides, you're hearing this from Bosh's point of view. Notice that you're not hearing anything from the Heat? Of course not. Anything to fit your narrative that the Heat are some bastard organization so you can further try to trash on them. I'll say it again, I'd be shocked if the Heat clear him. I'm not taking that chance of Bosh dying on the court because I allowed him to play. I wouldn't want to be in that 30-for-30.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the fun in that?
Well my assumption is he cheats every now & again- since this site does offer the ability to view hidden contexts- in other words see posts from those you're supposedly ignoring.

:D

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll likely end up in the NBA's ruling which is why they've been involved. And besides, you're hearing this from Bosh's point of view. Notice that you're not hearing anything from the Heat? Of course not. Anything to fit your narrative that the Heat are some bastard organization so you can further try to trash on them. I'll say it again, I'd be shocked if the Heat clear him. I'm not taking that chance of Bosh dying on the court because I allowed him to play. I wouldn't want to be in that 30-for-30.
is that a rationale concern?

thats what i questioned then and I question now. Seemingly- its not right?

to have a knee jerk reaction that "he should just retire and not risk it" ignores all circumstances of the situation and just generalizes it. Me and you are not privvy to the relevant information.

at this point- i think all we can do is take stock of the conduct of the parties- and between ARison's tweet that seemingly welcomes him back, and Bosh's repeated insistence on playing (that has been documented multiple times)- it seems both parties- are on board at this point....

is that fair to say you think at this point?

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They kinda need to let him play. It would be a terrible look for the organization to have Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all leave on bad terms and would likely hurt us big time when it comes to acquiring big free agents

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And also to be fair to Bosh, last year blood clots were not nearly as bad as 2015. Not life threatening or anything of that matter.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They kinda need to let him play. It would be a terrible look for the organization to have Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all leave on bad terms and would likely hurt us big time when it comes to acquiring big free agents
This sounds like your opinion is the priority should be the team's rep rather than Bosh's health. The irony is if they let him play- and the unimaginable happens, which I think we all can agree would be Bosh dying-the team's rep will end up being negatively affected anyway. And I think this scenario would be far worse than the team not allowing him to play.

So, is there really a way to avoid a negative impact to the team? Or maybe the better question is which will have the least negative impact?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like your opinion is the priority should be the team's rep rather than Bosh's health. The irony is if they let him play- and the unimaginable happens, which I think we all can agree would be Bosh dying-the team's rep will end up being negatively affected anyway. And I think this scenario would be far worse than the team not allowing him to play.

So, is there really a way to avoid a negative impact to the team? Or maybe the better question is which will have the least negative impact?

He already been cleared by doctors. No top free agent is going to want to come to Miami if they ran off James, Wade, & Bosh in less than 3 years

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already been cleared by doctors. No top free agent is going to want to come to Miami if they ran off James, Wade, & Bosh in less than 3 years
You really think others will view this as the Heat running him off? I think it will be viewed by most as being safe rather than sorry.

Now in the case of Wade I can agree some may have that view point...but in the case of LBJ I think that's a stretch.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think others will view this as the Heat running him off? I think it will be viewed by most as being safe rather than sorry.

Now in the case of Wade I can agree some may have that view point...but in the case of LBJ I think that's a stretch.

If he is cleared by a few other doctors then heck yeah

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you cannot bar an employee from coming to a job because you are worried about being "safe than sorry" when a doctor says its safe.

Not rocket scientist what bskballer is saying here.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is that a rationale concern?

thats what i questioned then and I question now. Seemingly- its not right?

Of course it's a rational concern. What part of blood clots can be life threatening is unclear to you?

The problem for the Heat is that someone with Bosh's money can always find a doctor who's willing to give them the answers they want to hear. Michael Jackson died because of that.

Bosh, wants to play. That's his entire motivation. There's nothing wrong with that. He obviously loves playing and is willing to do whatever he has to so that can happen. That's why organizations sometimes have to protect a player from himself.

The Heat have a bigger picture to look at. Obviously, they want whats best for Bosh and his long term health. However, they also have to look at what's best for the organization. They know that a healthy Bosh makes them a better team and I have no doubt that they would love for him to play. However, having a player die on the court wouldn't be a good look.

The treatment they are talking about seems to be working just fine for the hockey player. However, everyone is different and they can react differently from others on the same medications. Heck, my wife is on blood thinners and those damn things don't even react the same in her body on a day to day basis. She's always having to adjust her doses based on her blood getting too thick or too thin.

It also appears that there is only the one doctor doing this. That would seem to indicate that it's not exactly a widely accepted practice at this time. That certainly doesn't mean it won't eventually become a widely accepted practice, but it doesn't appear to be now.

I don't blame the Heat one iota for taking a cautious approach on this.

Last edited:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lebron - Left due to an opportunity in Cleveland where they finally had suitable support pieces to help him win a title. Lebron was going to leave regardless of whether we beat the Spurs in '14 or not. It's a legacy thing for him.

Wade - Yeah, this one looks bad to an extent. The organization preached loyalty, but didn't really back it up in terms of providing money to Wade that he wanted - or to an extent, showing him the respect that he garnered. Realistically, we didn't over pay to keep a shooting guard who's going to be 35 in January and may have 1-2 good years left.

Bosh - He has a rare life-threatening condition (potentially). If Bosh doesn't play another NBA minute with the Heat again, I'd find it hard to believe that anyone with a working brain would hold the Heat to the fire on this one for not letting him play. The reason why Bosh is pissed is $$$. Yes, he has tons of money that he's earned in his career. Bosh will have just turned 35 when his last year of his contract is done prior to hitting free agency where he can sign one more deal. Look at the contracts that were just handed out. Bosh has the potential to make north of at least $15 mil per year on his next contract, if not more given that stretch 4's don't deteriorate at the rate of guards/SF's do who rely more on athleticism.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you cannot bar an employee from coming to a job because you are worried about being "safe than sorry" when a doctor says its safe.

Actually, you can. Just because one doctor clears an employee, doesn't mean the companies doctors have to clear him.

At my job, if one of my employees is injured on the job, they can only be cleared to return by the doctor the company sends them to. So, the employees primary care physician can clear them, but until the companies doctor clears them, I can't let them work.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably the worse analogy you've given on this board. How does this apply to a normal job? At most jobs you can be on blood thinners and be fine - to an extent. In sports it's a different story.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you can re-assign them to another job with a different work load. Gatorade refiller.