• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hwgh9nh3gth8it66lha8.jpg

one of the very very best.....Dan is DEFINITELY the shortest guy around that picture, LOL...

just glad he is in Cleveland- and the fans are lucky enough to have an owner to spend whatever it takes to secure a title!

i totally understand why Lakers fans would hate Gilbert after him and Cuban spearheaded the effort to get the CP trade vetoed....just glad we finally have a great owner that will stick up for the little guy and could bring home the title!

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,789.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs tanked? :scratch:

Pretty sure David Robinson got injured and missed most of the season.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs owner: 'Foolish' not to spend on salaries

great article on Gilbert for those who like reading;

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert said he's spending a near-record amount on salaries and luxury taxes because it would be foolish not to.

Since the end of last season, the Cavs have locked up players to nearly $300 million in new contracts, including $113 million to Kevin Love, $82 million to Tristan Thompson and $47 million to LeBron James. Currently, Gilbert is committed to spending $175.6 million on payroll this season, with $65 million of that in luxury taxes. Those numbers would represent the second-highest spending numbers in league history, falling behind only the 2013-14 Brooklyn Nets, who spent $197 million, including tax.

"We're committed; we're all-in ... When you invest in something like a sports franchise and you're in for so much ... if you at the margins start pulling back, I think that may be foolish on a lot of fronts," . "We're investing for the future as well as the current."

And DIRECTLY from the KING himself...

When the team finished its business last week by striking a deal with Thompson after a long stalemate, James praised Gilbert's willingness to spend.

"When you have an ownership group that believes what it's going to take, then money is not an object," James said. "It's a sign that [Gilbert] will do anything to help us go out there and perform."

"We look at this year by year. There's so many factors, so many things can change," Gilbert said. "We always like to have options. It's not so much the amount of payroll. The question is if you can maneuver. If the team goes a certain way, are all the contracts valuable? Can your general manager still play chess? We never try to say this is [the budget]. It really is how it operates."

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact that LeBron James himself says Gilbert "will do anything" to help the team win is sure good enough for me!!! :)

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs owner: 'Foolish' not to spend on salaries

great article on Gilbert for those who like reading;

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert said he's spending a near-record amount on salaries and luxury taxes because it would be foolish not to.

Since the end of last season, the Cavs have locked up players to nearly $300 million in new contracts, including $113 million to Kevin Love, $82 million to Tristan Thompson and $47 million to LeBron James. Currently, Gilbert is committed to spending $175.6 million on payroll this season, with $65 million of that in luxury taxes. Those numbers would represent the second-highest spending numbers in league history, falling behind only the 2013-14 Brooklyn Nets, who spent $197 million, including tax.

"We're committed; we're all-in ... When you invest in something like a sports franchise and you're in for so much ... if you at the margins start pulling back, I think that may be foolish on a lot of fronts," . "We're investing for the future as well as the current."

And DIRECTLY from the KING himself...

When the team finished its business last week by striking a deal with Thompson after a long stalemate, James praised Gilbert's willingness to spend.

"When you have an ownership group that believes what it's going to take, then money is not an object," James said. "It's a sign that [Gilbert] will do anything to help us go out there and perform."

"We look at this year by year. There's so many factors, so many things can change," Gilbert said. "We always like to have options. It's not so much the amount of payroll. The question is if you can maneuver. If the team goes a certain way, are all the contracts valuable? Can your general manager still play chess? We never try to say this is [the budget]. It really is how it operates."

Translation from Lebron: When you have a dip shit owner that said they'd win a title before this generation's all-time talent and miserably failed to capitalize, while promising a title to a city that's endured a 50+ year drought; it's easy to have him by the balls after you've won a title elsewhere pointing out that it isn't the player (Lebron) that's the problem, it's ownership. Yeah, he's willing to spend whatever, because he has no choice. If I dip out and he's the reason. That city will crucify him and the rest of his family.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your telling me you would rather have the Heats' core than the Sixers core?

You couldnt cobble up a combo of any 3 players on the Heat that would even tempt any GM with a brain to trade Simmons.- and thats ONLY Simmons.

Saric - I think-is gonna be really good.

Okafor certainly does not look like a young Dwight Howard- but the kid definitely has upside.

It depends on a few factors.

I think it's pretty indisputable that Philly has more young talent.

But, quantity doesn't trump quality.

If the best player in your Team is TERRIFIED to shoot, you are not winning many games.

And, don't get me started on that pg platoon.

With that being said, I think Saric and Simmons will be studs.

I think Justice is gonna be a stud too.

Johnson and Richardson look good too.

I think the health of Bosh and Embiid turn the tide in this conversation.

If both are out, I'd take Philly because I'd rather lose a guy making 5 mil over a guy making 20.

But, even healthy...they are not currently better than the Heat.

So, I'd take the Heats present and Phillys future.

If Bosh comes off the cap, Miami will be right back in the mix.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation from Lebron: When you have a dip shit owner that said they'd win a title before this generation's all-time talent and miserably failed to capitalize, while promising a title to a city that's endured a 50+ year drought; it's easy to have him by the balls after you've won a title elsewhere pointing out that it isn't the player (Lebron) that's the problem, it's ownership. Yeah, he's willing to spend whatever, because he has no choice. If I dip out and he's the reason. That city will crucify him and the rest of his family.

I don't even know why you guys are even trying. at this point it's propanda trolling and he's doing it on purpose...

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert

Majority Owner

Cleveland Cavaliers

Damn, y'all giving Wiggyruss DA business...lol

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A SPECTACULAR piece of writing and one of the very main reasons why Dan Gilbert is so revered in the city.

You know what?

In a ass backwards kinda way, I agree.

Not many Owners out there would do something so politically incorrect.

....Ohioans loved him for it.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an owner willing to spend more than the competition, an owner willing to speak his mind, an owner that brought a championship to the city.

Top 5 in my book....ill give ya the Spurs ownership group as better...OKC is too cheap so hell no there.....Ballmer appears pretty good in LAC but he hasnt won anything yet....Warriors have done an excellent job and have an excellent- if arrogant- ownership group....

yah- id put prob put Gilbert 3rd behind the Spurs and Warriors groups. When you combine winning, motivation to spend, strength of the roster they have put together, the longevity of the roster.....

Most ownership groups in the league are rather new when you really look at it.

Worked out better for him than it did Prokohov.

Takes more than just throwing money at it * see Clippers and Brooklyn*.

Gotta have competent basketball minds too.

I'm not gonna riff on the Cavs for Bennett because my Team has to live with the Khandi Man.

Gilbert bent all the way over to get Lebron back.

But, it got him a title . So, I guess it was worth it.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop it...the topic was NOT about the Lakers- you just continue to bring them up in this debate because you've been called out on your stupidity- which is not a good look for you-being a lawyer and all.

No matter how much you bring up other teams it won't change the fact that letter is out there because Einstein made it public as soon as LBJ left him for a better team.

and speaking of release- maybe you should try letting go of all that hot air- you might even make a friend or two.

th

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, y'all giving Wiggyruss DA business...lol
oh there is no one laker and heat fans hate more than dan gilbert- except maybe me extolling the virtues of dan gilbert as he is clearly one of the best team owners in sports!

Its rare someone delivers in Cleveland when it comes to sports.

Dan Gilbert bought the team and dreamed of bringing the first title to Cleveland in well over half a century and he was able to deliver on that vision and for that he has the eternal gratitude and appreciation of all Cavs fans.

when LeBron James says "When you have an ownership group that believes what it's going to take, then money is not an object," James said. "It's a sign that [Gilbert] will do anything to help us go out there and perform."

you know you have a keeper!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact that LeBron James himself says Gilbert "will do anything" to help the team win is sure good enough for me!!! :)

:lol: Of course he'll do anything. Lebron has his ballsack in his hands.