• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what you dont realize is THAT WAS THE PLAN.

likethe Lakers before their rebuild- the cupboard was dry!!! There was nothing left! Mo Williams, Andy Varejao, JJ Hickson- THATS IT...everyone else was over the hill.

The GOAL WAS TO WIN THE TITLE. You dont win a title signing 2nd tier vets that will DO NOTHING besides help you win too many games so you dont get an elitedr aft pick.

I mean - could u imagine the colossal fuck up it it would have been for the Lakers to sign an extra vet or two last yea and win an extra 10 games and get Sabonis instead of Ingram? Is this something that you just fail to recognize?

The Cavs went from worst team in the league to championship in RECORD TIME. If you, me, ANYONE out there would have said- Dan Gilbert will win the championship within 6 years of that night when LeBron took his talents to south beach- you would have been institutionalized........you should be acknowledging his freaking GENIUS with what he pulled off to steal LeBron back from a place where he won 2 titles.

The Cavs rebuild was freaking HISTORIC for how quickly it happened all considering....that is beyond a doubt 100% truthful.

What a bunch of horseshit.

So, according to you, the plan was to lie to Cavs fans about what he was going to do and make false promises that he had no intention of even trying to fulfill. All while waiting patiently for Lebron to get his ya ya's out in Miami so that he could hand over his testicles when Lebron's contract was up, while hoping and praying that Lebron would forgive him and come back?

:lol:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bunch of horseshit.

So, according to you, the plan was to lie to Cavs fans about what he was going to do and make false promises that he had no intention of even trying to fulfill. All while waiting patiently for Lebron to get his ya ya's out in Miami so that he could hand over his testicles when Lebron's contract was up, while hoping and praying that Lebron would forgive him and come back?

:lol:
no intention of filling!! HE WON THE TITLE WITHIN 6 YEARS!! while spending HISTORIC sums of money---- LOL.....how long have the Lakers been rebuilding? If they win a title within 6 years of starting their rebuild you would dance in the freaking street!!! Gilbert took the team from last and a bare cupboard to championship and LOADED for years to come in 6 years!! thats HISTORY. Its why a statue of him will stand outside the Q for as long as the Q is around and the NBA is in existence.

i am not sure your criteria- but spending tens of millions in luxury tax and winning the title within 6 years seems like he had a fire under his ass to me, lol.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no intention of filling!! HE WON THE TITLE WITHIN 6 YEARS!! while spending HISTORIC sums of money---- LOL.....

How many titles did the Cavs win before Lebron won his first in Miami?

The promise was that they would win one before Lebron did. That he would do everything he could to make that happen.

So again, how many championships did the Cavs win before Lebron won his first?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many titles did the Cavs win before Lebron won his first in Miami?

The promise was that they would win one before Lebron did. That he would do everything he could to make that happen.

So again, how many championships did the Cavs win before Lebron won his first?
absolutely zero....do you have a point?

how many titles did the Lakers win without a great player? Same number as the Cavs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely zero....do you have a point?

how many titles did the Lakers win without a great player? Same number as the Cavs.

Pretty sure I made my point. Gilbert had no competitive fire and no plan despite his promise to win a title before Lebron got one.

Then, when Lebron wanted to come back, he handed over his manhood and his checkbook. He's not a great owner with a great plan, he doesn't have competitive fire. He's an opportunist. Period.

Again, other than lying to Cavs fans, it's not a criticism. Lebron, for whatever reason, decided to provide him with an opportunity and he took it. But let's not pretend he has some "competitive fire" or that he had a "grand plan."

Sometimes, you just get lucky. Nothing wrong with admitting that. I freely admit that the Lakers have gotten lucky a time or 2 and gotten a few titles as a result (getting Magic and Worthy as #1 picks comes to mind). As the late, great Chick Hearn used to say: "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I made my point. Gilbert had no competitive fire and no plan despite his promise to win a title before Lebron got one.

Then, when Lebron wanted to come back, he handed over his manhood and his checkbook. He's not a great owner with a great plan, he doesn't have competitive fire. He's an opportunist. Period.

Again, other than lying to Cavs fans, it's not a criticism. Lebron, for whatever reason, decided to provide him with an opportunity and he took it. But let's not pretend he has some "competitive fire" or that he had a "grand plan."

Sometimes, you just get lucky. Nothing wrong with admitting that. I freely admit that the Lakers have gotten lucky a time or 2 and gotten a few titles as a result (getting Magic and Worthy as #1 picks comes to mind). As the late, great Chick Hearn used to say: "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."
LOL...yup you are right

guy gets a title in 6 years and spends tens of millions in luxury tax to do it- but was in no hurry. And he is now a legend in Cleveland- the owner who finally brought Cleveland a title. LOL

Will be happy to see how long some of these other rebuilding projects take in the league.

I gotta give TONS OF credit to Dan- to get it done in 6 years with what was left on the team once LeBron left was NOTHING short of miraculous. HE truly has earned his status as one of the best owners in North American sports. Competitive fire + a big checkbook = championship and icon status for Dan G.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good...I'm glad that's all it was.

All is good in Meccaville....lol

I know you'll pop in regularly when the Season starts.
Oh of course! I'm trying to determine if I want to go to the season opener this year.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the cavs fans are hoping Irving is the next Kobe after the Shaq/Kobe era - #2 guy rising in the ranks to be team leader after the Number One guy leaves.

They are wrong.
The difference here is that Irving had the chance at being the #1 guy- and that didn't work out so well for the Cavs. Kobe on the other hand didn't have that chance since he & Shaq were teamed up in the same year.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no intention of filling!! HE WON THE TITLE WITHIN 6 YEARS!! while spending HISTORIC sums of money---- LOL....

Yes, but that wasn't his promise to the fans. He promised to win one BEFORE LBJ did in Miami. But, I guess that point is mute to someone who thinks bending over & grabbing their ankles is an acceptable business tactic as long as they win. :L

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words, there was no competitive fire and no plan. He tanked. Period. If he had competitive fire...if he had a plan...he would have been going after difference making FA's and doing everything in his power to fulfill his promise.

Instead, he sat in the corner, took on bad contracts and collected NBA welfare while Lebron was winning championships in Miami.

You can try to spin it however you want. The FACT is that he said he was going to make sure the Cavs won a title before Lebron did. He not only didn't keep that promise. He didn't even try.

Additionally, the Lakers didn't make the promise to fans that Gilbert did. In fact, the Lakers were forthcoming and said that if the Dwight/Nash deal didn't work out, they were going to be rebuilding and it was going to be rough. That's why most Lakers fans have been willing to be patient over these past few years.

Well, they did have that nice 26-game losing streak the year after Lebron left. So there's that.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like the Heat did after LeBron left? See where that has them- a difficult rebuild with a serious lack of future draft assets.

The goal wasnt to save face and win a playoff series- the goal is to win a title- thats why Gilbert bought the team.

I dont understand how you fail to realize the best way to make the team better was to tank....i mean- you are seeing the SAME thing with your Lakers!

the Cavs ABSOLUTELY stripped the team down to nothing, cut the payroll, sucked, rented out their cap space and did little besides try and develop talent and collect assets for 3 full seasons.

the proof is in the pudding pal. Gilbert was right. His strategy worked. Championship.

Its what OKC did...its what the Sixers are doing.

Id take the Sixers team over the Heats without a SECOND THOUGHT right now. One team wanted to stay competitive- one team tanked....One team has a bright future with tons of assets- the other onei s stranded between not being bad enough to get a high pick- and not good enough to make any noise--- THAT and missing multiple future first rounders.

Easy decision for me and most.

The 6ers have a team that's not even proven. Simmons may or may not be a great player, you haven't even seen him play one NBA minute. They have Embiid who's been on the bench for two years with foot issues and hasn't seen one NBA minute. The only consistent NBA players that they have is Noel (who hasn't really lived up to his hype) and Okafor - both of whom can't play together because their offense is severely stagnant at that point.

Being in the lotto every single year doesn't guarantee you shit, look at the Kings, Nuggets, etc... At least the Heat's pieces fit together, the 6ers don't sans Okafor and Simmons.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...yup you are right

guy gets a title in 6 years and spends tens of millions in luxury tax to do it- but was in no hurry. And he is now a legend in Cleveland- the owner who finally brought Cleveland a title. LOL

Will be happy to see how long some of these other rebuilding projects take in the league.

I gotta give TONS OF credit to Dan- to get it done in 6 years with what was left on the team once LeBron left was NOTHING short of miraculous. HE truly has earned his status as one of the best owners in North American sports. Competitive fire + a big checkbook = championship and icon status for Dan G.

Guy also got 3 #1 picks in a 4-year time span, which is the very definition of luck. Where one was traded away and the other is no longer playing in the NBA.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...yup you are right

It's pretty simple for everyone, except apparently you, to understand.

When Lebron left he promised Cavs fans that they would celebrate a title before Lebron did and that he would do everything in his power to make that happen.

He didn't. He chose to tank and collect NBA welfare money.

Had he gone after top FA's, had he spent a ton of money trying to win a championship before Lebron, that would represent competitive fire. That's not what he did.

Had he come out and said, we're going to tank for 4 years, try to get some good young talent and then try to get Lebron back when his contract is up in 4 years. That would represent a plan.

However, he didn't do that either.

What he did was suck for 4 years, collect NBA welfare money and then, when Lebron decided he wanted return to Cleveland...handed over his manhood and his checkbook.

Tanking for 4 years + bending over and letting Lebron go in dry = championship for the Cavs.

I also give Dan Gilbert credit. I credit him for being smart enough to get the hell out of Lebron's way.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Competitive fire is not willing to take a couple down years and always putting a quality product on the floor. Tanking and gather assets is fine and all, so long as you have a plan. Sixers are still going to be a bottom tier team (4th/5th year straight). Eventually those assets get tired of losing and jump ship. Had Lebron gone anywhere else, the Cavs are still likely in the lotto right with the Sixers. The stars aligned for Gilbert given that Lebron was more concerned with his legacy than with Gilbert being an ass (and a shitty owner at that).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like the Heat did after LeBron left? See where that has them- a difficult rebuild with a serious lack of future draft assets.

At least the Heat tried to remain competitive. Who knows what may have happened for them if Bosh had remained healthy. A healthy Bosh with other moves may well have put them back in contention. If they have him healthy in last years playoffs, we may well have had that Heat/Cavs ECF that we all wanted to see.

This is the difference between competitive fire and what Dan Gilbert did. The Heat tried to stay in the hunt when Lebron left.

When Lebron left the Cavs, Gilbert responded with a "strongly worded letter" and then curled up in the fetal position and sucked his thumb.

the Cavs ABSOLUTELY stripped the team down to nothing, cut the payroll, sucked, rented out their cap space and did little besides try and develop talent and collect assets for 3 full seasons.

Which is the exact opposite of what Gilbert said they were going to do.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the Heat tried to remain competitive. Who knows what may have happened for them if Bosh had remained healthy. A healthy Bosh with other moves may well have put them back in contention. If they have him healthy in last years playoffs, we may well have had that Heat/Cavs ECF that we all wanted to see.

This is the difference between competitive fire and what Dan Gilbert did. The Heat tried to stay in the hunt when Lebron left.

When Lebron left the Cavs, Gilbert responded with a "strongly worded letter" and then curled up in the fetal position and sucked his thumb.

Which is the exact opposite of what Gilbert said they were going to do.
goodfor the Heat trying to remain competitive---- it gets them no where....one playoff series win and a shitty rebuild.....as Cavs and Lakers fans we know all about long rebuilds- this Heat team is back the Cavs were in 2010 and the Lakers in 2012...a LOT of shit sandwiches to go aorund the next few years.....

i much prefer bottoming out and winning a title to be honest---seems better than fooling yourself into thinking your contender.

As everyone that follows the NBA knows- the worst place to be is in the middle- not bad enough to get elite talent in the draft- not good enough to make any noise.....thats right smack dab in the middle of where the Heat are at... Nba No Man's Land.

Give me the Sixers squad ANY DAY....