• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the Cavaliers offense can learn from the title run

pretty interesting and good article....just goes to show you- now that Griffin has had a couple seasons to put HIS team together- and the guys are learning how best to play with eachother- we should continue to see the Cavs offense get more and more efficient. Very good points about (i) the Cavs great depth, (ii) keeping LeBron healthy and rested, (iii) Love sacrificing for the betterment of the team and starting to take a larger load, (iv) Kyrie taking that next step from All Star to being one of the very best.

Having LeBron James play with four shooters allows him to utilize his vision and put tremendous stress on the defense. The Cavs best lineups in the playoffs was often James with Channing Frye, Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson and Matthew Dellavedova. That lineup had a +36 Net rating in 77 minutes of play during the playoffs.

By subbing James out early and utilizing him as a power forward in a spaced out lineup, it allows Irving and Love to get into a rhythm offensively with the rest of the starters. Contending with the James-less starters to close out quarters keeps the opposing starters in the game deep into the quarter, as they are still a formidable duo to contend with. But when the subsequent quarter starts, teams simply did not have the depth to deal with James and the bench mob. The absence of Dellavedova will likely be felt, but the key to the success of those lineups was James functioning as the initiator of the offense with spacing around him.

That type of look could be replicated by inserting Mike Dunleavy Jr. into the bench mob lineup in place of Dellavedova. Mo Williams is another option if he is healthy. The most important part to making those lineups work however is Frye, due to his ability to space the floor.

Love also possess great vision for his position, meaning he can be relied upon to make the right play with the ball and be an offensive hub. That ability carries more significance at the center position.

Part of why the Cavs traded for Love was because they knew he was capable of carrying a larger load as James ages. With James preserving himself in order to try and make a seventh straight NBA Finals, next year is the perfect time to start utilizing Love more in the regular season.

The sacrifices Love has made over the past two seasons have helped the Cavs play at their highest level possible. While maximizing him more in the regular season may not yield the best production possible with this roster, it’ll help reduce the load on everybody and keep the team in good shape to compete in the post-season.

Irving represents the future of the Cavaliers, both as the eventual face of the franchise, and as the bulk of the internal growth they can expect from their current roster. In a regular season that carries little significance for the Cavs, nurturing Irving and helping him cement himself in the conversation of best point guard in the NBA will be a top priority. After having to go through four coaches in five years and multiple offensive and defensive systems, it appears he will finally have stability in his career. He has erased questions of whether or not you can win with him, now all that is left is answering the question of what is next.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the Cavaliers offense can learn from the title run

pretty interesting and good article....just goes to show you- now that Griffin has had a couple seasons to put HIS team together- and the guys are learning how best to play with eachother- we should continue to see the Cavs offense get more and more efficient. Very good points about (i) the Cavs great depth, (ii) keeping LeBron healthy and rested, (iii) Love sacrificing for the betterment of the team and starting to take a larger load, (iv) Kyrie taking that next step from All Star to being one of the very best.

Having LeBron James play with four shooters allows him to utilize his vision and put tremendous stress on the defense. The Cavs best lineups in the playoffs was often James with Channing Frye, Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson and Matthew Dellavedova. That lineup had a +36 Net rating in 77 minutes of play during the playoffs.

By subbing James out early and utilizing him as a power forward in a spaced out lineup, it allows Irving and Love to get into a rhythm offensively with the rest of the starters. Contending with the James-less starters to close out quarters keeps the opposing starters in the game deep into the quarter, as they are still a formidable duo to contend with. But when the subsequent quarter starts, teams simply did not have the depth to deal with James and the bench mob. The absence of Dellavedova will likely be felt, but the key to the success of those lineups was James functioning as the initiator of the offense with spacing around him.

That type of look could be replicated by inserting Mike Dunleavy Jr. into the bench mob lineup in place of Dellavedova. Mo Williams is another option if he is healthy. The most important part to making those lineups work however is Frye, due to his ability to space the floor.

Love also possess great vision for his position, meaning he can be relied upon to make the right play with the ball and be an offensive hub. That ability carries more significance at the center position.

Part of why the Cavs traded for Love was because they knew he was capable of carrying a larger load as James ages. With James preserving himself in order to try and make a seventh straight NBA Finals, next year is the perfect time to start utilizing Love more in the regular season.

The sacrifices Love has made over the past two seasons have helped the Cavs play at their highest level possible. While maximizing him more in the regular season may not yield the best production possible with this roster, it’ll help reduce the load on everybody and keep the team in good shape to compete in the post-season.

Irving represents the future of the Cavaliers, both as the eventual face of the franchise, and as the bulk of the internal growth they can expect from their current roster. In a regular season that carries little significance for the Cavs, nurturing Irving and helping him cement himself in the conversation of best point guard in the NBA will be a top priority. After having to go through four coaches in five years and multiple offensive and defensive systems, it appears he will finally have stability in his career. He has erased questions of whether or not you can win with him, now all that is left is answering the question of what is next.

:yawning:

If you didn't post such ridiculously long essays about the cavs, maybe people would actually read them.

I didn't.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yawning:

If you didn't post such ridiculously long essays about the cavs, maybe people would actually read them.

I didn't.

No way on earth Id read all of it either.
Reality is, its all nonsense.
Put James on any of several teams in the East and they instantly become the favorite.
Take James off the Cavs roster and you have a roster that would prob be borderline making the playoffs depending who is replacing James.

Last edited by a moderator:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
laughable-

you replace James with just a DECENT small forward like a trevor ariza- if even that- and they would still stomp the life out of the Heat--- although -as to your original point about the playoffs- not like the Heat are a playoff team anyway...

hmm..

as to actual playoff teams- the East is getting better but Dan G's wallet would come in handy!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE to read--- dont enjoy reading- LOVE to read....

its definitely why I am ridiculously more informed.

I cant believe a few paragraphs intimidates you guys...plus- the rest of the article is just for whoever wants to read it- i summed it up for the most part in the first couple sentences...

good stuff though....the more you read and the variety of different view points you read definitely gives you the best point of view to give your own opinion....

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
laughable-

you replace James with just a DECENT small forward like a trevor ariza- if even that- and they would still stomp the life out of the Heat--- although -as to your original point about the playoffs- not like the Heat are a playoff team anyway...

hmm..

as to actual playoff teams- the East is getting better but Dan G's wallet would come in handy!

So what was the Cavs record during lebrons Miami years?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
laughable-

hmm..

My post said "several", specifically naming none.
You a little Heat obscessed?

As far as your statement, assuming all are healthy...

Id take Dragic/Josh-Tyler/Winslow/Bosh/Whiteside and Heat bench over
Kyrie/J.R.Ariza/Love/Tristan and Cavs bench, if you want to call it that.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I cant believe a few paragraphs intimidates you guys...plus- the rest of the article is just for whoever wants to read it- i summed it up for the most part in the first couple sentences...

good stuff though....the more you read and the variety of different view points you read definitely gives you the best point of view to give your own opinion....

Quoting Barkley, etc.. makes you informed?
And, informed on what? The Cavs?
You're basically just a parrot. Listen to Windhorst and Co, then you spew it here.

You readily admit you don't watch other teams very often.

@tlance gave a much better, detailed analysis of Kyries Olympic play.

I'm not sure why you just can't be thrilled LeBron got it done for you and leave it at that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You copy and paste ESPN articles and you think you're informed?

Well done, you are now at the level my daughter was when she learned this skill in 5th grade.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Copying and pasting other peoples opinions doesn't make you "ridiculously more informed."

It makes you ridiculously unable to express an original thought.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copying and pasting other peoples opinions doesn't make you "ridiculously more informed."

It makes you ridiculously unable to express an original thought.
lol

isnt that what you said you just did yourself in that post i quoted a couple pages back?

and if you read 5 articles- and get different point of views- and add that to your own thoughts- pick and choose what you believe- that is a lot better than regurgitating the rosiest news on your team you can find and blindly accepting it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

isnt that what you said you just did yourself in that post i quoted a couple pages back?

and if you read 5 articles- and get different point of views- and add that to your own thoughts- pick and choose what you believe- that is a lot better than regurgitating the rosiest news on your team you can find and blindly accepting it.

That's exactly what you do. You find the rosiest articles about the Cavs, the worst articles about the Heat/Whiteside and just regurgitate them on here.

That's why you're not "ridiculously more informed," and everyone thinks you're a clown.

Oh, and there's a big difference between saying "this is what's being reported" and just regurgitating an entire article and pretending you came up with an original thought. So no, that's not what I did.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we're not gonna need a part 3 since FA is basically done and you fuckers can't even break 1k on this new thread.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why you're not "ridiculously more informed," and everyone thinks you're a clown.

Clowns can be moderately funny, depending on childhood experiences of course.

Wiggy is more like an irritating rash.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a move(s) wiggy would have made? Like he has an NBA pedigree?

:pound:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a move(s) wiggy would have made? Like he has an NBA pedigree?

:pound:

Haven't you heard? He's "ridiculously more informed." I'm sure GM's all over the NBA are consulting him.

He reads articles and everything.