• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont understand how you can "force" someone into retirment against their will. I mean- logically- wouldnt as long as he is trying to come back- just play it out and put him on the IR? Unless you can GUARANTEE that he will never be able to play again- how do you force him into retirement against his will?

to act like the Heat do not have a conflict of interest is absurd.
You should understand the Heat's position more than most people given you're a lawyer.

There's such a thing as a wrongful death suit- that can be filed against the Heat & proven if they're found to not have taken all of the necessary precautions prior to clearing him to play knowing his condition.

It's the same reason that when some people take medical leaves from work they're required to be cleared by their doctor (usually in writing) before they can return to their normal duties.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand exactly that is how it works. I also understand that if the Heat thought it was safe for him to play, he'd be cleared because he is still a very good player and makes them a better team. So, to act like they are doing this just to get rid of him is absurd.
Sure- if you told the Heat- there is a 100% chance he will be healthy- of course they take him back.

What if you told the Heat- there is a 80% chance he wont have a set back- do you allow him on the court? What about a 5% chance?

I think they are doing this to get rid of the uncertainty surrounding him- not to get rid of him and thats based on his cap number. If Bosh had a 3 year 9 million dollar contract- they would be handling this situation completely differently in my opinion.

It all comes down to whether an impartial league doctor approves their claim for cap relief anyway. I am sure that doctor will do their due diligence and make an appropriate decision.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should understand the Heat's position more than most people given you're a lawyer.

There's such a thing as a wrongful death suit- that can be filed against the Heat & proven if they're found to not have taken all of the necessary precautions prior to clearing him to play knowing his condition.

It's the same reason that when some people take medical leaves from work they're required to be cleared by their doctor (usually in writing) before they can return to their normal duties.
How- after already allowing him back once - can you go to the league and say that there is a zero percent chance he can play anytime in the next 2 years? How could you know that? You simply cant--- its not like he has a destroyed knee and is limping and cant run. He obviously played for years. If he is willing to keep trying- how do you tell him- there is zero way you can play in the next 2 years? It just doesnt make sense.

like i said though -it all comes down to when they apply to the league for cap relief. At that point Bosh and the Heat will make their cases and an independent physician will make a decision. If that independent doctor tells Bosh that he will never play again- chances are its over. But it is going to take an impartial doctor saying that- not one from the Heat.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- just think about it.

if the heat doctor tells the team- that at some point he should be oka to play if tests come back okay- but there is a 60% chance that at some point down the road the blood clots re-occur- what do you do?

hes okay right now---- but there is a substantial CHANCE of something happening. How do you say that disqualifies him from ever returning to the court. Thats the problem here. The Heat of course HATE having a better than even money chance that Bosh will only have re-occorences and push back the date even farther from when they can apply for cap relief.

I think the smartest thing the Heat can do is wait till after the playoff-eligilbity deadline passes- apply for relief to the league- and if the independent league doctor approves their claim -they are golden...if he doesnt and says you must wait since their is a chance Bosh can return- then just stretch the last 2 years of his contract over the next 4 years.

I just dont see how an independent doctor could effectively say there is a zero percent chance he will ever play again. How can he know? --- you can look at a players knee and say see him limping and know- this guy is never gonna be on the court again- but how can you deifnitively 100% say- that Bosh will never play again as a doctor? I dont know how you get there when other players have played with past blood clot issues that have eventually cleared up.

Even if it is a 70% chance that the clots re-occur- that is not 100%- so how can you effectively force a guy to retire.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD- thats an effective argument and is without a doubt a concern- but you can easily get around that liaiblity stuff with waivers and assumption of risk etc. I am SURE that if a team at any point ever again employs Bosh they will make sure to protect themselves and make it clear that he assumes that any risk- whatever that level or risk might be.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure- if you told the Heat- there is a 100% chance he will be healthy- of course they take him back.

What if you told the Heat- there is a 80% chance he wont have a set back- do you allow him on the court? What about a 5% chance?

That's where it gets dicey and the Heat would have to sit with Bosh and try to figure something out. However, that's a hypothetical situation that hasn't presented itself and at this point, seems unlikely to.

I think they are doing this to get rid of the uncertainty surrounding him- not to get rid of him and thats based on his cap number. If Bosh had a 3 year 9 million dollar contract- they would be handling this situation completely differently in my opinion.

Of course they are trying to get rid of any uncertainty. Getting rid of uncertainty is best for both parties.

The bold part is ridiculous and just you trying to cling to your conspiracy theory.

Of course the Heat would handle it differently if he were on a 3 year 9 million dollar deal. They'd likely just release him and eat the money. The impact on both the cap and their roster would be minimal.

The problem is, Bosh isn't a 3 year 9 million dollar level player, so the impact to both the cap and their roster is significant. The fact that you even post a comparison like that shows that you're just trying to cling to your conspiracy theory because as @Mecca pointed out earlier...it's Miami.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Bosh did get released and some how got on the court for the playoffs I could almost guarantee it would be with the Cavs too...

it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Heat aren't going to waive Bosh until after March 1st. So he won't be able to play for anyone this upcoming season as well as the playoffs.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where it gets dicey and the Heat would have to sit with Bosh and try to figure something out. However, that's a hypothetical situation that hasn't presented itself and at this point, seems unlikely to.

Of course they are trying to get rid of any uncertainty. Getting rid of uncertainty is best for both parties.

The bold part is ridiculous and just you trying to cling to your conspiracy theory.

Of course the Heat would handle it differently if he were on a 3 year 9 million dollar deal. They'd likely just release him and eat the money. The impact on both the cap and their roster would be minimal.

The problem is, Bosh isn't a 3 year 9 million dollar level player, so the impact to both the cap and their roster is significant. The fact that you even post a comparison like that shows that you're just trying to cling to your conspiracy theory because as @Mecca pointed out earlier...it's Miami.

If he were a 3 year 9M type player, there wouldn't even be any news or discussion.
I doubt very, very, very, very much that any team doctor or NBA will clear a player as talented as Bosh unless something drastic changes with his situation.

There is 0.00000000 chance a crappy player would even be considered.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Truest words ever written on the hoop.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a little worried here. Almost 1 full page & no LeBron sucks comments? Is everyone feeling okay today? I gotta be in the wrong thread.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAD- thats an effective argument and is without a doubt a concern- but you can easily get around that liaiblity stuff with waivers and assumption of risk etc. I am SURE that if a team at any point ever again employs Bosh they will make sure to protect themselves and make it clear that he assumes that any risk- whatever that level or risk might be.

Like I've said now, probably a dozen times, Bosh should go play some full court, full contact basketball on his own time if he thinks he's ready to play again in the NBA.
It's fucking preposterous.

It would be worse then when Magic played with AIDS.
No player would want to make any contact with Bosh.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a little worried here. Almost 1 full page & no LeBron sucks comments? Is everyone feeling okay today? I gotta be in the wrong thread.

Nobody ever says LeBron sucks.
He's an amazing player.
Douche is a much better adjective.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, what Team do you see risking this PR nightmare this Season?

Nobody wants to see him die on the floor.

I think, if he is clot free and doesn't need the meds, he has one more return left in him....NEXT SEASON.

But, the minute they reoccur, he will have no choice but to call it a career.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well i mean that is exactly the point. Whether he is making 3 million a year or 25 million a year- they should treat the process the exact same way- the numbers of his contract should have absolutely zero to do with it and i think that is the overiding factor - eliminating their uncertainty. I am not saying its not in their best interest to eliminate their uncertainty- of course it is--- you cant force a guy into retirement because you are pretty sure he cant ever play again though just because you dont like the uncertainty hanging over your head.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, what Team do you see risking this PR nightmare this Season?

Nobody wants to see him die on the floor.

I think, if he is clot free and doesn't need the meds, he has one more return left in him....NEXT SEASON.

But, the minute they reoccur, he will have no choice but to call it a career.
of course no one wants to see him die on the floor- i have prefaced that argument with getting an INDEPENDENT doctor to say he can be on the court without significant risk.

To me- the Heat are no where close to independent when they literally have millions of dollars in insurance money at risk, and 1/3 of their cap space at risk.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i mean that is exactly the point. Whether he is making 3 million a year or 25 million a year- they should treat the process the exact same way- the numbers of his contract should have absolutely zero to do with it and i think that is the overiding factor - eliminating their uncertainty. I am not saying its not in their best interest to eliminate their uncertainty- of course it is--- you cant force a guy into retirement because you are pretty sure he cant ever play again though just because you dont like the uncertainty hanging over your head.

The biggest factor that you are ommiting is that the Heat rolled with him 100% the first time.
It invalidates every lame conspiracy theory that you are manufacturing.

#onlycauseitsmiami