• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have no other choice, given the current salary cap rules.
Maybe it should be addressed in the new CBA?
It would be great to have him get healthy enough to play and know if for some reason there was another setback that it wouldn't set the franchise back 2 more years.

Regardless of anything, as of today, Bosh hasn't healed or produced anything of substance that would allow him to be cleared by any NBA team doctor.
Until, if ever, that day comes he should keep quiet.
that is the primary reason the Heat want Bosh gone- the uncertainty. --- that -and insurance picks up a huge amount of his contract.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont understand how you can "force" someone into retirment against their will. I mean- logically- wouldnt as long as he is trying to come back- just play it out and put him on the IR? Unless you can GUARANTEE that he will never be able to play again- how do you force him into retirement against his will?

to act like the Heat do not have a conflict of interest is absurd.

The Heat aren't forcing him to retire. Their doctors aren't clearing him to play because he has a health condition that is potentially deadly. If he can't get cleared to play this season, he is then free to sign with any team that is willing to let him risk his life for them.

Acting like the Heat don't have a conflict of interest isn't what is absurd. Acting like they wouldn't want him on the team if he were healthy and that this is some conspiracy on their part to get rid of him is absurd.

Even if they didn't want him back, a healthy Bosh would at least have some good trade value for them.

Reactions: LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now with wade gone, i feel like we're really going to regret not taking Booker.....unless Winslow turns into a mini Leonard

Winslow is going to be a solid player for you guys. Maybe not All-Star calibre but his potential is close enough to it.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now with wade gone, i feel like we're really going to regret not taking Booker.....unless Winslow turns into a mini Leonard
I don't think Justice will ever be on Kawhi's level, but he could end up being really good. Booker might just be a monster, and soon.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat aren't forcing him to retire. Their doctors aren't clearing him to play because he has a health condition that is potentially deadly. If he can't get cleared to play this season, he is then free to sign with any team that is willing to let him risk his life for them.

Acting like the Heat don't have a conflict of interest isn't what is absurd. Acting like they wouldn't want him on the team if he were healthy and that this is some conspiracy on their part to get rid of him is absurd.

Even if they didn't want him back, a healthy Bosh would at least have some good trade value for them.
I dont think you understand the procedure here.

He would only be free to sign with any team next season if the Heat release him- not if he just "cant get cleared to play this season".

what the Heat DESPERATELY want to avoid- is releasing him- and then Bosh signing with another team and playing 25 games- because then their insurance claim becomes void- and his entire salary is put back on the cap.

The stakes are enormous

Ideally for the Heat- they release Bosh at the end of the season- he never plays again- they get tens of millions in insurance coverage, and get 25M in cap space.

If Bosh plays and signswi th another team next year- the HEat's insurance claim would basically be screwed since they would make it on the basis thathei s unfit to play- and BOsh's entire salary goes back on their cap and they wouldnt even have him to be able to faciliatte a buyout or a trade etc.

That is the "riski' n releasing him-

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winslow is going to be a solid player for you guys. Maybe not All-Star calibre but his potential is close enough to it.

Kawhi and Justise had pretty similar first seasons, but Justise needs to improve his shooting/shot selection to get to Kawhi's level. Other than scoring, their stats are very close.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would only be free to sign with any team next season if the Heat release him- not if he just "cant get cleared to play this season".

what the Heat DESPERATELY want to avoid- is releasing him- and then Bosh signing with another team and playing 25 games- because then their insurance claim becomes void- and his entire salary is put back on the cap.

The stakes are enormous

Ideally for the Heat- they release Bosh at the end of the season- he never plays again- they get tens of millions in insurance coverage, and get 25M in cap space.

If Bosh plays and signswi th another team next year- the HEat's insurance claim would basically be screwed since they would make it on the basis thathei s unfit to play- and BOsh's entire salary goes back on their cap and they wouldnt even have him to be able to faciliatte a buyout or a trade etc.

That 6 year contract extension not looking so hot right about now, eh?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Bosh did get released and some how got on the court for the playoffs I could almost guarantee it would be with the Cavs too...

it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

No better team to stick it to the Heat.

But, if he wanted a ring, Warriors, Cavs, Spurs....in that order.

Alas, it's a pipe dream. He's cooked.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Bosh did get released and some how got on the court for the playoffs I could almost guarantee it would be with the Cavs too...

it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Gilbert is stupid enough to actually sign him.

Although there is no cap space...

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, and if something happens between now and then that would guarantee his long term health, the Heat would of course want him.

Thing is, blood clots/ blood clot treatments are nothing new.
Unless some new science /cure is discovered, he's done.

Or, if the situation is not salvageable, they get something out of it.

Why in God's name would they risk losing him for nothing and still having to pay him?

Reactions: LAD

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The stakes are enormous

That's the scenario if he is released this season where he would be in a potential position to play those 25 games.

We know that isn't happening.

So, lets assume he's released in March.

He's now been off the court for over the year period which is required to get him off your books for the following season.

Are you saying the Heat then wouldn't immediately be given the cap space to use next summer?

The league couldn't possibly withhold it just in case some other team cleared him for the following season and then he somehow plays 25 games.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the scenario if he is released this season where he would be in a potential position to play those 25 games.

We know that isn't happening.

So, lets assume he's released in March.

He's now been off the court for over the year period which is required to get him off your books for the following season.

Are you saying the Heat then wouldn't immediately be given the cap space to use next summer?

The league couldn't possibly withhold it just in case some other team cleared him for the following season and then he somehow plays 25 games.
well they have to apply to the league for the cap relief. Typically in these situations- the player- like Brandon Roy- agrees to retire.

like we said- the Heat wont release him in March- since then he would be eligible to play for someone else in the playoffs....

say they release him next summer- and apply for cap relief- they can be granted that relief- remember - the standard is- he has to play 25 games.

they are eligible to apply to the league for cap relief after the 1 year mark. I dont know of another case where the player disputes it- so i dont know if the league has to weigh the case- or if they just grant it in accordance with a defined procedure- and then wait and take no action until the player plays 25 games on another team.

once that happens- i cant even fathom the mess it creates. imagine the heat sign someone- and then Bosh comes back on the payroll- what is the procedure if they are illegally over the cap? are they forced to trade someone?

confusing things even more is that a new cba is being negotiated right now this very instant. It could totally change the rules on something like this- and supposedly it could happen very shortly.

long and short- we are in uncharted territory- but to sum it up- if Miami applies for cap relief and gets rid of Bosh- and Bosh does not play 25 games in the league- they will be golden. If Bosh comes back and plays 25 games they will be royally fucked.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat could also try to remove Bosh’s salary entirely from their cap (again, he would still get paid). The Heat could waive Bosh on Feb. 9, one year from his last game, and the apply to have his salary removed because of a career-ending injury. An independent doctor designated by the NBA and National Basketball Players Association would determine if Bosh’s situation is career-ending. If the doctor determined it was career-ending, Bosh’s salary would be cleared from Miami’s cap number, and Bosh would never be able to play for the Heat again. If that happened but Bosh was later cleared to return by another team, his salary would go back on Miami’s cap. There is a period of 25 games to determine if he’s healthy enough to play.

What's next for Chris Bosh and Heat

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they have to apply to the league for the cap relief. Typically in these situations- the player- like Brandon Roy- agrees to retire.

like we said- the Heat wont release him in March- since then he would be eligible to play for someone else in the playoffs....

say they release him next summer- and apply for cap relief- they can be granted that relief- remember - the standard is- he has to play 25 games.

they are eligible to apply to the league for cap relief after the 1 year mark. I dont know of another case where the player disputes it- so i dont know if the league has to weigh the case- or if they just grant it in accordance with a defined procedure- and then wait and take no action until the player plays 25 games on another team.

once that happens- i cant even fathom the mess it creates. imagine the heat sign someone- and then Bosh comes back on the payroll- what is the procedure if they are illegally over the cap? are they forced to trade someone?

confusing things even more is that a new cba is being negotiated right now this very instant. It could totally change the rules on something like this- and supposedly it could happen very shortly.

long and short- we are in uncharted territory- but to sum it up- if Miami applies for cap relief and gets rid of Bosh- and Bosh does not play 25 games in the league- they will be golden. If Bosh comes back and plays 25 games they will be royally fucked.

There's 0% chance he plays 25 games for any team this year, so that's not even in the equation.

There's also no scenario that I could envision where if the Heat is given back his cap money and the sign another player , that they could be forced to trade him.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone's body is different as is the way blood thinners react in the body. It's likely that those players case isn't as severe as Bosh's. It's a pretty safe bet that if the Heat's doctors thought it was safe for Bosh to play, they'd clear him.

Not sure why that's difficult to understand.

Because it's Miami.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some individuals develop blood clots- that are potentially fatal if they go to your lung or brain etc...

in order to combat blood clots you take a blood thinning medication- however- a side effect is if you are on these medications and sustain an injury- it is very hard to stop the bleeding- as the clotting agents in the blood are obviously effected by the medication.

Andy Varejao developed blood clots one season- and got over them and is back. Hockey players have done so too as Bosh cited too.

Every circumstance is different- and it seems the Heat are taking the stance that since the problem has re-occured- that they are done trying to work through it- taking the re-occurence as evidence that the problem will never be ameliorated.
But you didn't answer his question- which is what causes them.

There are different causes for DVT (blood clots in the legs- which is what I believe Bosh has)
1.Damage to a blood vessel (inside the vessel)
2.Changes in normal blood flow- this could be directly related to some prescribed meds
3.Hypercoagulability- condition when blood is more likely to clot than normal

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The stakes are enormous

I understand exactly that is how it works. I also understand that if the Heat thought it was safe for him to play, he'd be cleared because he is still a very good player and makes them a better team. So, to act like they are doing this just to get rid of him is absurd.

Also, no one on here has denied that the stakes are huge. Money aside, we are talking about a man's life. The stakes don't get any bigger than that.

What you don't seem to understand (or your arguing just to argue since you keep avoiding it) is that we are talking about a life threatening situation. This isn't like he blew out his knee, had major surgery on it and isn't going to be the same player as before the injury, so the Heat are trying to dump him.

Based on the information at hand, if his health issue were resolved, he could return to being the player he was before the clots, which makes the Heat a much better team. This is a situation where allowing him back on the court could literally kill him.

Do the Heat want his contract off the books asap if he can't play? Of course they do. It's why the smart business move is to do exactly what they are. It's also smart because if by some miracle, his condition clears up, they can get him on the floor to help their team.