• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron: Cavs wanted, but couldn't afford, Wade

We couldn't afford him," James said. "It's that simple."

Wade signed a two-year deal with Chicago in the offseason worth about $47 million. The Cavs, well above the salary cap with a star-studded core of James, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson all signed to long-term deals, could have offered Wade only the taxpayer midlevel exception, worth about $3.5 million.

Cleveland ended up using the MLE to retain Richard Jefferson.

"Who wouldn't be interested in a Hall of Famer?" Cavs coach Tyronn Lue said, referring to Wade's likely spot in the Hall. "That don't even make sense. Yeah, we wanted him."

James, who has maintained his friendship with Wade since leaving Miami, unsurprisingly backed Wade's decision to join the Bulls after playing the first 13 years of his career with the Heat.

"I support my guys -- you guys know that," James said. "That was a decision that he wanted to make, and I support him."

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron: Cavs wanted, but couldn't afford, Wade

We couldn't afford him," James said. "It's that simple."

Wade signed a two-year deal with Chicago in the offseason worth about $47 million. The Cavs, well above the salary cap with a star-studded core of James, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson all signed to long-term deals, could have offered Wade only the taxpayer midlevel exception, worth about $3.5 million.

Cleveland ended up using the MLE to retain Richard Jefferson.

"Who wouldn't be interested in a Hall of Famer?" Cavs coach Tyronn Lue said, referring to Wade's likely spot in the Hall. "That don't even make sense. Yeah, we wanted him."

James, who has maintained his friendship with Wade since leaving Miami, unsurprisingly backed Wade's decision to join the Bulls after playing the first 13 years of his career with the Heat.

"I support my guys -- you guys know that," James said. "That was a decision that he wanted to make, and I support him."

Not saying he should have, but couldn't James have taken the pay cut hit so Wade could have got his?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Bosh did get released and some how got on the court for the playoffs I could almost guarantee it would be with the Cavs too...

it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Stop with the conspiracy.
You don't think the Heat would want him on the roster if he could play?

Bosh couldn't pass his physical. He has blood clots. He can't be put in a position to take body contact which eliminates several things in life, with NBA basketball being on top of the list.

Bosh really has no say in the matter. He's under contract. He's still being paid.
If he wants to make a REAL case to the Heat, other NBA teams and/or doctors, let's see him play some full contact NBA style basket ball vs just hearing his bullshit propaganda that he can.

Why would the Heat even CONSIDER releasing him?
If he can't get on the court this year and the doctors (both Heat and NBA) agree that it's health related, then he's off the books.
The Heat gets the cap space back heading into next summer.

At that point, if Bosh wants to risk his life and some other team signs off on it, good for him/them.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bosh couldn't pass his physical. He has blood clots. He can't be put in a position to take body contact which eliminates several things in life, with NBA basketball being on top of the list.

Bosh really has no say in the matter. He's under contract. He's still being paid.
If he wants to make a REAL case to the Heat, other NBA teams and/or doctors, let's see him play some full contact NBA style basket ball vs just hearing his bullshit propaganda that he can.

If he can't get on the court this year and the doctors (both Heat and NBA) agree that it's health related, then he's off the books.

At that point, if Bosh wants to risk his life and some other team signs off on it, good for him/them.
i think you bring up some valid points- but i also believe that if Chris Bosh was 27 years old and on the same contract as Crowder on Boston- that the path the Heat took would be totally and completely different.

I absolutely believe their is a heavy conflict of interest when you are talking about just purely the uncertainty associated with 3 years 75 million left on the cap for a guy you do not have any clue if he can play or not.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. It's like some folks (well, one anyway) think that the Heat wouldn't want a healthy Bosh out on the court playing for them.

Barring some as yet unknown miracle cure, the next best thing for the Heat is to get his salary off the books asap.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you bring up some valid points- but i also believe that if Chris Bosh was 27 years old and on the same contract as Crowder on Boston- that the path the Heat took would be totally and completely different.

I absolutely believe their is a heavy conflict of interest when you are talking about just purely the uncertainty associated with 3 years 75 million left on the cap for a guy you do not have any clue if he can play or not.

What other "path" or "uncertainty" is there?
Fact is after the first episode, the Heat followed protocol, assumed/hoped it was just a one time thing and he was back on the court.

Then, there was a re-occurrence,followed by what I believe was a 3rd setback.

Bosh has played to an all star level every season that he's been here.
Our team would be SO MUCH better if he could play.

You act like he's being looked at by the Heat as some scrub.
It's just not the case.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. It's like some folks (well, one anyway) think that the Heat wouldn't want a healthy Bosh out on the court playing for them.

Barring some as yet unknown miracle cure, the next best thing for the Heat is to get his salary off the books asap.

Correct, and if something happens between now and then that would guarantee his long term health, the Heat would of course want him.

Thing is, blood clots/ blood clot treatments are nothing new.
Unless some new science /cure is discovered, he's done.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, and if something happens between now and then that would guarantee his long term health, the Heat would of course want him.

well in fairness to Bosh- he has quoted a number of athletes that have played with blood clots in multiple sports- including hockey, baketball. etc.

I am not saying either side is right--- i am saying that its the equavalent of putting your head in the stand if you hear the word "blood clots" and immediately say- OH THERE IS NO CHANCE QUIT- because that is just not reality.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, part of the problem with blood thinners is that there are so many things that can effect thickness of the blood. The hardest part is getting the INR right so that the blood isn't too thick or too thin (either of these can be deadly). The problem is that there are so many things that can throw it off. From what the person eats to intense physical activity.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well in fairness to Bosh- he has quoted a number of athletes that have played with blood clots in multiple sports- including hockey, baketball. etc.

Everyone's body is different as is the way blood thinners react in the body. It's likely that those players case isn't as severe as Bosh's. It's a pretty safe bet that if the Heat's doctors thought it was safe for Bosh to play, they'd clear him.

Not sure why that's difficult to understand.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not saying either side is right--- i am saying that its the equavalent of putting your head in the stand if you hear the word "blood clots" and immediately say- OH THERE IS NO CHANCE QUIT- because that is just not reality.

He cited I believe ONE hockey player.
Who knows the extend of what his clotting/circumstances were?
Hockey players play with the most padding of any athletes.

Instead of Bosh quoting someone, or posting videos of himself shooting free throws, lets see him put his body where his mouth is.
Go on the court at his own peril and let some 7' athletes slam into you for 36 minutes.
That would prove that he has the confidence in himself to be able to handle it.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Correct, and the Heat let him back on the court after his first bout was treated and his body was normal.

With any illness, re occurrence is NEVER a good thing.
In almost every instance it means your body can't fight off whatever is causing the issue to begin with.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He cited I believe ONE hockey player.
Who knows the extend of what his clotting/circumstances were?
Hockey players play with the most padding of any athletes.

Instead of Bosh quoting someone, or posting videos of himself shooting free throws, lets see him put his body where his mouth is.
Go on the court at his own peril and let some 7' athletes slam into you for 36 minutes.
That would prove that he has the confidence in himself to be able to handle it.
Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the clotting, but what specifically causes it to happen in people with the condition?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the clotting, but what specifically causes it to happen in people with the condition?
some individuals develop blood clots- that are potentially fatal if they go to your lung or brain etc...

in order to combat blood clots you take a blood thinning medication- however- a side effect is if you are on these medications and sustain an injury- it is very hard to stop the bleeding- as the clotting agents in the blood are obviously effected by the medication.

Andy Varejao developed blood clots one season- and got over them and is back. Hockey players have done so too as Bosh cited too.

Every circumstance is different- and it seems the Heat are taking the stance that since the problem has re-occured- that they are done trying to work through it- taking the re-occurence as evidence that the problem will never be ameliorated.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some individuals develop blood clots- that are potentially fatal if they go to your lung or brain etc...

in order to combat blood clots you take a blood thinning medication- however- a side effect is if you are on these medications and sustain an injury- it is very hard to stop the bleeding- as the clotting agents in the blood are obviously effected by the medication.

Andy Varejao developed blood clots one season- and got over them and is back. Hockey players have done so too as Bosh cited too.

Every circumstance is different- and it seems the Heat are taking the stance that since the problem has re-occured- that they are done trying to work through it- taking the re-occurence as evidence that the problem will never be ameliorated.

Very accurate. The problem for Bosh is that it's not just once. He has now had 3 clotting issues in 18 months. That's a lot and indicates that this is likely going to be an issue for the rest of his life.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very accurate. The problem for Bosh is that it's not just once. He has now had 3 clotting issues in 18 months. That's a lot and indicates that this is likely going to be an issue for the rest of his life.
I just dont understand how you can "force" someone into retirment against their will. I mean- logically- wouldnt as long as he is trying to come back- just play it out and put him on the IR? Unless you can GUARANTEE that he will never be able to play again- how do you force him into retirement against his will?

to act like the Heat do not have a conflict of interest is absurd.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have no other choice, given the current salary cap rules.
Maybe it should be addressed in the new CBA?
It would be great to have him get healthy enough to play and know if for some reason there was another setback that it wouldn't set the franchise back 2 more years.

Regardless of anything, as of today, Bosh hasn't healed or produced anything of substance that would allow him to be cleared by any NBA team doctor.
Until, if ever, that day comes he should keep quiet.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont understand how you can "force" someone into retirment against their will. I mean- logically- wouldnt as long as he is trying to come back- just play it out and put him on the IR? Unless you can GUARANTEE that he will never be able to play again- how do you force him into retirement against his will?

to act like the Heat do not have a conflict of interest is absurd.

They can't.
The Heat also can't be forced to clear a player who is sick and is at risk of death on the court.

He will be on the roster basically all season, so let him during that time prove he is healthy enough to be allowed on the court.

If not, then he can, will, and should be released so that next summer the Heat can add his cap space back to being used on a player who is actually healthy and can play.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't.
The Heat also can't be forced to clear a player who is sick and is at risk of death on the court.

He will be on the roster basically all season, so let him during that time prove he is healthy enough to be allowed on the court.

If not, then he can, will, and should be released so that next summer the Heat can add his cap space back to being used on a player who is actually healthy and can play.
what if a year from now he can get on the court?