• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-2017 Offseason thread

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope we let Trumbo walk and get a 1st rd pick. Until this team lands a true Ace, it's pointless to sign these sluggers w/ high K's to long term deals. The Chris Davis trade will never work out for us. The best we can hope for now is to hope we are so far behind at the trade deadline that we trade Manny. He would do wonders for restocking our farm.

If we trade Manny, Jones, and Britton we would get a killing in return.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade Manny, Jones, and Britton we would get a killing in return.
Britton is the only one we MIGHT trade this season and that would be only if we are out of it come deadline time and it would be because the value for closers is pretty high right now and Britton is the best of the bunch, so the Orioles could get a haul of much needed prospects for him. I would think Manny would be someone we could build this club around and we shouldn't trade him unless there is no way he would sign long term. But we own his rights in arbitration for a few more years, so that decision can be put off until later.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Britton is the only one we MIGHT trade this season and that would be only if we are out of it come deadline time and it would be because the value for closers is pretty high right now and Britton is the best of the bunch, so the Orioles could get a haul of much needed prospects for him. I would think Manny would be someone we could build this club around and we shouldn't trade him unless there is no way he would sign long term. But we own his rights in arbitration for a few more years, so that decision can be put off until later.

Only reason I even said Manny is because I don't think the O's will give him 400 million or so that'd he get. If their not going to resign him minus well trade him.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Trumbo would be another waste of money just let trey be the dh and don't waste money . let the 2 rule v guys fight it out with the high obp with both of them . rickard be 4 of or share lf with kim

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Trumbo would be another waste of money just let trey be the dh and don't waste money . let the 2 rule v guys fight it out with the high obp with both of them . rickard be 4 of or share lf with kim
If Trumbo really liked it here, he would've signed by now. So I have no problem letting him walk and get a draft pick for him. I'd sign Saunders to play RF, let Trey be the DH/first baseman and alternate Kim and Rickard in LF.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have acquired right-hander Yovani Gallardo and cash from the Orioles in exchange for corner outfielder Seth Smith, the teams announced today. The move fills an on-paper need for both clubs, as the Mariners have been seeking a starter to fill out their rotation, while Baltimore has been in search of a left-handed-hitting corner outfielder.

From the Orioles’ standpoint, that they were able to jettison Gallardo in exchange for a fairly useful big league piece comes as a surprise on the heels of a dismal, injury-plagued season for Gallardo. Set to turn 31 next month, Gallardo missed more than two months of the 2016 season with shoulder injuries. While that’s concerning in and of itself, his contract with the Orioles was dropped from a three-year agreement to a restructured two-year pact following his physical due to shoulder concerns, so there’s perhaps elevated cause for concern.

When on the field, Gallardo limped to a 5.42 ERA with 6.5 K/9 against a career-worst 4.7 BB/9 and a 43.2 percent ground-ball rate in 118 innings. Though Gallardo was able to make 23 starts despite the time he missed, he’s now showed a diminished ability to work deep into games in each of the past two seasons, averaging under 5 2/3 innings per start in 2015 with the Rangers and less than 5 1/3 innings per start last year in Baltimore. Gallardo has a remaining $13MM of guaranteed money on his contract, although $1MM of that sum is deferred without interest. Presumably, the Orioles will cover the difference in salary between Gallardo and Smith, who is set to earn $7MM next year.

It should, of course, be noted that prior to his woeful season in Baltimore, Gallardo was long a steadying presence in the rotation for the Brewers and Rangers. Though he displayed plenty of red flags in his lone season with Texas — diminished strikeout rate and velocity, increased walk rate — Gallardo averaged 32 starts per year from 2009-15, totaling 1339 1/3 innings of 3.69 ERA ball with 8.2 K/9 against 3.3 BB/9. His heater has dipped about three miles per hour from its 92.7 mph peak, but he does bring a track record of useful results to the table. Clearly, the Mariners are hoping that a move to a larger park will help to quell some of the home-run problems that plagued Gallardo in 2016, when he posted a 1.2 HR/9 rate that dwarfed the 0.9 mark he carried into the season.

If Gallardo is able to rebound in 2017, he comes with a reasonable $13MM option for the Mariners to exercise ($3MM of that sum would be deferred, without interest, as well). If not, they’ll pay him a $2MM buyout on top of his $11MM salary for the upcoming season.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have acquired right-hander Yovani Gallardo and cash from the Orioles in exchange for corner outfielder Seth Smith, the teams announced today. The move fills an on-paper need for both clubs, as the Mariners have been seeking a starter to fill out their rotation, while Baltimore has been in search of a left-handed-hitting corner outfielder.

From the Orioles’ standpoint, that they were able to jettison Gallardo in exchange for a fairly useful big league piece comes as a surprise on the heels of a dismal, injury-plagued season for Gallardo. Set to turn 31 next month, Gallardo missed more than two months of the 2016 season with shoulder injuries. While that’s concerning in and of itself, his contract with the Orioles was dropped from a three-year agreement to a restructured two-year pact following his physical due to shoulder concerns, so there’s perhaps elevated cause for concern.

When on the field, Gallardo limped to a 5.42 ERA with 6.5 K/9 against a career-worst 4.7 BB/9 and a 43.2 percent ground-ball rate in 118 innings. Though Gallardo was able to make 23 starts despite the time he missed, he’s now showed a diminished ability to work deep into games in each of the past two seasons, averaging under 5 2/3 innings per start in 2015 with the Rangers and less than 5 1/3 innings per start last year in Baltimore. Gallardo has a remaining $13MM of guaranteed money on his contract, although $1MM of that sum is deferred without interest. Presumably, the Orioles will cover the difference in salary between Gallardo and Smith, who is set to earn $7MM next year.

It should, of course, be noted that prior to his woeful season in Baltimore, Gallardo was long a steadying presence in the rotation for the Brewers and Rangers. Though he displayed plenty of red flags in his lone season with Texas — diminished strikeout rate and velocity, increased walk rate — Gallardo averaged 32 starts per year from 2009-15, totaling 1339 1/3 innings of 3.69 ERA ball with 8.2 K/9 against 3.3 BB/9. His heater has dipped about three miles per hour from its 92.7 mph peak, but he does bring a track record of useful results to the table. Clearly, the Mariners are hoping that a move to a larger park will help to quell some of the home-run problems that plagued Gallardo in 2016, when he posted a 1.2 HR/9 rate that dwarfed the 0.9 mark he carried into the season.

If Gallardo is able to rebound in 2017, he comes with a reasonable $13MM option for the Mariners to exercise ($3MM of that sum would be deferred, without interest, as well). If not, they’ll pay him a $2MM buyout on top of his $11MM salary for the upcoming season.
I have no problem with that trade as we needed a corner outfielder and needed to dump one of either Miley, Gallardo or Ubaldo. I guess that takes us out of the running for any other outfielders, unless we trade Rickard or Kim for minor league depth and sign someone like Michael Saunders or Trumbo.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12:30pm: Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun tweets that the Orioles will save about $4MM in total on the deal. That would suggest that about $2MM is headed to Seattle alongside Gallardo, who is guaranteed $13MM ($11MM salary + $2MM option buyout) to Smith’s $7MM.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great trade, imo.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with that trade as we needed a corner outfielder and needed to dump one of either Miley, Gallardo or Ubaldo. I guess that takes us out of the running for any other outfielders, unless we trade Rickard or Kim for minor league depth and sign someone like Michael Saunders or Trumbo.
rickard has an option like caleb also does .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're thinking we sign someone else to play LF and have Mancini and Kim DH?

I would roll the dice and go with the best of the 2 rule v guys as a back up and let rickard play everyday to get better . I think duke will re sign either pedro or Trumbo if not both but I would let both walk . we have to many all or nothing guys . I would not be shocked the o's sign Nolan with a spring invite to camp on a minor league deal but I hope that ship has sailed .

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would roll the dice and go with the best of the 2 rule v guys as a back up and let rickard play everyday to get better . I think duke will re sign either pedro or Trumbo if not both but I would let both walk . we have to many all or nothing guys . I would not be shocked the o's sign Nolan with a spring invite to camp on a minor league deal but I hope that ship has sailed .

And if all else fails... move Davis to LF since Mancini can play 1B?

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the smith deal......wouldn't mind seeing Jason Hammels return at least he wont walk in some runs.

On Trumbo..I would like to see him return but if his numbers are made up by other hitters, He will have to walk. Teams this year are finding HR hitters at cheaper price. Forgot keep Brach

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the smith deal......wouldn't mind seeing Jason Hammels return at least he wont walk in some runs.

On Trumbo..I would like to see him return but if his numbers are made up by other hitters, He will have to walk. Teams this year are finding HR hitters at cheaper price. Forgot keep Brach
I'm still holding out hope that we can sign Michael Saunders.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a horrible trade for the Mariners. Gallardo was a dumpster fire last year and there wasn't much to suggest he'll rebound to pre-2016 levels either. His FIP and xFIP were both north of 5.00 and he's no longer a strikeout pitcher (averaged over 9 K/9 from 09-12; it's below 7 since then). Smith isn't great, but he's still a useful bat.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Joey Bats and Hammel, call it a day!

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on the Fan that the Orioles are picking up talks with Trumbo again, now that he dropped his salary demands. He said he is looking for a 3 year deal in the $40 to $50 mil range now. It may be enough for us to bring him back.