• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Sixers, I think I keep Bogut, if he's up for it. I do it for a couple reasons.

The Sixers don't really have many veterans on the team. He could act as a secondary defensive coach and a mentor to Embiid. Embiid's offense is there but his defense is still very much a work in progress. Having him there to help out with Saric and Embiid develop on that side of the ball would be very much needed.

Bogut could also get playing time with the team with Embiid out, Noel gone and Okafor might be on his way out as well. From a financial stand point it might build Bogut's off-season value.

Lastly, I'm not certain after this trade, but before it the 76ers were well under the cap floor. If they buy Bogut out, it will likely have to be for close to the full amount I would guess. Bogut even said before he's not really interested in a buy-out. I think that mostly comes from him trying to maximize his income right now.

I say they say some money AND ship him to Cleveland lol

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you just dont want him on the Cavs. lol.

I honestly don't think he would choose the Cavs.

If there's anything I've learned from Bogut's time with the Warriors is that he's a no bull-shit guy. The Warriors were always straight up with him on where he stood with the team and he appreciated that. So from a spite factor, the Cavs wouldn't be that appealing.

The Cavs would be appealing for a ring, but then again he's already got one with the Warriors. If you're Bogut right now, what are you trying to accomplish?

He's got to realize he's on his last NBA contract, whatever he signs next. His injury history and his age are getting up there. He doesn't have to be a true ring chaser just yet. What he needs to do is show he's still a capable player, possibly even starter material. I mean hell look what Joakim Noah got in the off-season. And Mozgof. Bogut has to feel he's at least worth 75% of those deals.

I think if he does get bought out, the Cavs, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics would all be equally appealing. But I do think he would have the most significant role on the Celtics. He could possibly even slide in as a starter there, assuming they don't pick up another big. If I'm him and that's an option, I'm going there.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Sixers, I think I keep Bogut, if he's up for it. I do it for a couple reasons.

The Sixers don't really have many veterans on the team. He could act as a secondary defensive coach and a mentor to Embiid. Embiid's offense is there but his defense is still very much a work in progress. Having him there to help out with Saric and Embiid develop on that side of the ball would be very much needed.

Bogut could also get playing time with the team with Embiid out, Noel gone and Okafor might be on his way out as well. From a financial stand point it might build Bogut's off-season value.

Lastly, I'm not certain after this trade, but before it the 76ers were well under the cap floor. If they buy Bogut out, it will likely have to be for close to the full amount I would guess. Bogut even said before he's not really interested in a buy-out. I think that mostly comes from him trying to maximize his income right now.

Embiid's defense may not be polished . . . but he's a pretty good defensive player thus far. I'd be more interested in having Bogut mentor Okafor on defense (if Okafor remains with the team).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there's anything I've learned from Bogut's time with the Warriors is that he's a no bull-shit guy. The Warriors were always straight up with him on where he stood with the team and he appreciated that. So from a spite factor, the Cavs wouldn't be that appealing.

The Cavs would be appealing for a ring, but then again he's already got one with the Warriors. If you're Bogut right now, what are you trying to accomplish?

He's got to realize he's on his last NBA contract, whatever he signs next. His injury history and his age are getting up there. He doesn't have to be a true ring chaser just yet. What he needs to do is show he's still a capable player, possibly even starter material. I mean hell look what Joakim Noah got in the off-season. And Mozgof. Bogut has to feel he's at least worth 75% of those deals.

I think if he does get bought out, the Cavs, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics would all be equally appealing. But I do think he would have the most significant role on the Celtics. He could possibly even slide in as a starter there, assuming they don't pick up another big. If I'm him and that's an option, I'm going there.
we shall see right?

I have a feeling if he is indeed bought out- you will be seeing him in a Cavaliers uniform.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Boston is even a remote possibility, I hope the 76ers keep Bogut just to spite Danny Ainge.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we shall see right?

I have a feeling if he is indeed bought out- you will be seeing him in a Cavaliers uniform.

Of course it's entirely possible. I'm not ruling it out and given the opportunities, it would be quite the destination for him.

If Andy V can sign with the Warriors the same season as being on the Cavs, it's not without reason that Bogut could sign with the Cavs, despite his history.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bogut doesn't go to the Cavs I hope he doesn't go to an East contender like Boston.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bogut is bought out, couldn't he just return to Golden State?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston or Cleveland will most likely where he ends up.

Don't count out the Rockets either. One of Bogut's best skills is his passing and with that plethora of shooters out there he would make a nice 1-2 combo with Capela. Adds to his off-season value here too.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. CBA prevents players from joining the team that traded them for a full year.

Ah. Thanks. I thought that maybe the intervening trade between Dallas and Philadelphia might have changed whether he could sign with GS.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn he didn't even get T'd up for that? Insane.

Nope. I remember watching that game with a close friend who was a die hard Celtics fan. What was funny was that neither of us saw it as anything more than a "playoff foul" because it's just how the game was played.

We both agreed that it was a little extreme, but that was about it. Many think that foul turned the series in favor of the Celtics, but also inadvertently fueled the Lakers next 2 titles because it showed them how far the Celtics were willing to go to win. If memory serves, it was after that when Riley came up with "No rebounds, no rings" which was basically code for "We have to be willing to get physical as well."

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you don't trade for George.

1. Because I hate y'all.

2. See Melo trade to Knicks.

Breaking the bank to get him would be a mistake.

Yeah, I agree to a point. If the Lakers decide to trade for him, I'd want them to do it during the summer and without giving too much in the way of young talent. If we end up with 2 first round picks, maybe package those and 1 young guy for PG.

Rumor is that he wants to be a Laker. He is an FA after next season, so it would make more sense to try and get him when he hits FA than to give up 2 or 3 guys from the young core. Plus, the Lakers should hopefully be in a better position for him to be joining a team with a chance to win by then.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is the provision of the CBA regarding the one-year restriction on signing traded players:

If a Team trades a player and the assignee Team subsequently places the player on waivers, the assignor Team shall not be permitted to sign the player to a new Contract (or claim the player off of waivers) before the earlier of: (i) one (1) year following the date all conditions to the trade were satisfied; or (ii) the July 1 following the last Season of the player’s Player Contract.

Golden State traded Bogut to Dallas (assignee team.) Dallas did not "place the player on waivers," but instead traded him to a third team. The restrictions of this provision should no longer apply to Golden State. The third team (new assignee team) puts Bogut on waivers -- Dallas should be prevented from signing Bogut but this provision of the CBA should have no impact on Golden State.

Now, maybe that's not how it was intended, but that provision does not seem to apply, on its face, to Golden State in the Bogut situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.