• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.....your bitterness tolds the Cavs, Gilbert and LeBron just does not go away.

you just CANT STAND the fact that one of the reasons LeBron left was Arison was cheap and Gilbert will spare no expense to win. Of course there was more to it--- but that was definitely an important factor.

Arison was so awful he won before James and never missed the Finals with him.
That's horrible ownership.

Gilbert already has spared expense or still would have Delly, Mozgov, etc..
I'm not saying he SHOULD, because it would be terrible business.
And, why the extended holdouts woth both Tristan and J.R. if money was no factor?
He caved into both situations because of the clout James has, not because he thinks or feels it is good business.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a great year.......what are you gonna do? they were underdogs to win the Central, underdogs against Boston, underdogs against Toronto and underdogs in the World Series...the wave finally crashed into the beach.

But what a great ride they had!! Maybe next year will their turn to break their curse?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree- Lakers are on their way up--- no way they have the worst season in franchise history again- like they did the last 2 years---- but when you look at the age of their prospets and where they are at with the rebuild----- its gonna be a long time before they are competitive again.

Agree. The Lakers best shot at being truly in the hunt (I don't consider making the playoffs as a 7-8 seed being in the hunt) in less than 3-4 years would be if they improve enough to land a big time FA or 2.

Because they are in LA, which is still a destination city, if the youngsters show enough improvement and Luke continues to be a coach that guys want to play for, they could entice a big FA or 2. Outside of that, I agree that they're about 3-4 years away.

They sure are a lot more fun to watch this year though.

Reactions: LAD

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. The Lakers best shot at being truly in the hunt (I don't consider making the playoffs as a 7-8 seed being in the hunt) in less than 3-4 years would be if they improve enough to land a big time FA or 2.

Because they are in LA, which is still a destination city, if the youngsters show enough improvement and Luke continues to be a coach that guys want to play for, they could entice a big FA or 2. Outside of that, I agree that they're about 3-4 years away.

Lakers are looking great to finish above number of wins over/under of 24.5

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And, why the extended holdouts woth both Tristan and J.R. if money was no factor?
He caved into both situations because of the clout James has, not because he thinks or feels it is good business.
dude...the Cavs have the highest payroll in the history of the NBA this year.

you only WISH your owner could spend on his level.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will LeBron break Kareem's scoring record?

A big game Thursday against the Boston Celtics would help Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James pass Hakeem Olajuwon and move into the top 10 on the NBA's all-time scoring list.

Given he's still playing at an elite level, James can pass many more of the game's greats in years to come.

Can he get all the way to the top of the leaderboard, passing Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant and even breaking Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's record of 38,387 points?

if he pulled it off- that would mean he is healthy and playing for a good long time to come...lets hope it happens! would certainly solidfy his status as the best of all time outside of MJ.

I could see him catching MJ and Kobe. Doubt he catches Kareem though.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

even if they get a couple big free agents- the team is only gonna be good once ingram and russel etc. and whoever else sticks around are good well rounded NBA players

the fact is- evenif you are amazingly talented at 19-20 years old- unless yo uare john wall or lebron- you are just not physically strong enough/mature enoguh to stand up to an 80 game season and guard grown men that have spent years in NBA training programs.

The Twolves- i mean- have Wiggins and Towns- and a ton of other good young players- and are still years away from really competing and they started their rebuild LONG before the Lakers.

Russell has looked really good- at the time of the draft i said he was a much better pick than Okafor and i think that has stood the test of time.....but its just the facts that its hard to win with guys who are 21-22 years old.......

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he signed Smith and Thompson because they are very good players that were instrumental to winning a title and had the Bird rights of both

having said that- why would you pay a guy what he is asking when you an negotiate and pay him less?---- what idiot says--- JR- name your price---- and doesnt even TRY and negotiate.

David Griffin says it all the time---- Dan Gilbert allows the Cavs to do things that other teams simply cant afford. Its why the team is so deep. Its why despite being capped out they can still add and retain solid players like Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye and Mike Dunleavy- and buy 2nd round picks like Kay Felder

all because you have an owner like Dan G.- who values winning over having an extra 50 million dollars in the bank to add to the billions he already has. I get it- you are jealous that Arison runs the Heat like a business and Gilbert runs the Cavs like its his hobby. You are jealous that Arison wouldnt step up to the plate and spend- while Gilbert told LeBron that no expense will be spared helping him get to where he wants to go in his career.

its cool man.....at least it gives you some kind of rooting interest while your HEat languish in irrelevance for the next few years. :pound:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you haven't moved on from Heat fans not moving on. :pound:
i wouldnt move on if i was a Heat fan until the Heat were good again- with the Cavs i didnt thats for sure.....winning a title helps though :)

gonna be a LOOOOOOOOOONG time before the Heat fans move on from LeBron lemme tell ya. lol. at least the really bitter ones like Turnup.

it just makes you so bitter that you have an owner that treats the heat like a business- while gilbert treats the cavs like his hobby.

is it hard for you to understand that when you have billions upon billions- that a championship ring is more important than having an extra 50 million in the bank? luckily- thats how the owner of the Cavs thinks....its fucking amazing. Dont be jealous. lol.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it would have been dumb (even for Gilbert) to spend >$100M on two guys who were not in the rotation in the Finals (at least last 3 games)

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could someone please confirm for me that -2500 means 25-1 odds? PLEASE!!!

:noidea: I don't bet either. In fact, I don't even do avy bets except for one with SUBuddha for the Stanford/USC game every year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His short arms are the only thing I worry about with him.

Blake Griffin same thing, but he has the leaping ability to make up for it. How are Randle's hops? I'm not high on Sabonis's kid because of his short arms.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah.....sports betting is for suckers it seems like.

Sports betting doesn't take in actual accounts of a team's chances of winning. Odds are set so that the house gets as close to even money on both sides of the betting. That way no matter the outcome, house always wins with the Juice(Vig, or house cut).

That's why even if someone is a close favorite, you might see a dramatic shift in the line if one side is being heavily bet. It doesn't mean that the team is now more favored because people are betting on them, it's to induce betting on the other side to even out the odds for the house.

That's why for the Warriors and Cavs line, there wasn't a huge discrepancy between the two teams talent wise as much as 25-1 odds would indicate. What it suggests is that there was huge prediction of heavy betting on the Warriors as opposed to the Cavs. When you offer larger odds on the Cavs, it helps to even out the betting on both sides. It doesn't necessarily mean Vegas or anyone else actually believe the Cavs to be a 25-1 dog. It just shows how much betting they believe to be on one side versus the other.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additionally, the best example I can give of the betting is say you have two teams like the Blazers @ Nuggets.

Lets say the line is set at Pick, which means there's no line set giving points, it's just who you think will win straight up.

You have 10 bets of $100 come in, all on the Blazers to win. Now all of a sudden you'll see a line shift to say Blazers (-1)/Nuggets (+1). It doesn't mean that now the Blazers are favored to win the game. It's now to induce betting on the Nuggets to help even out the odds. If you give the Nuggets 1 point, you'll see a flood of people who first believed it might be a toss up game want to be on the Nuggets now that they're receiving points.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was against the Indians because of Lebron? You Lebroniacs need to be less sensitive. Just because someone makes fun of Lebron bandwagoning the Indians or cursing them with his trolling of the Warriors over 3-1 deficits, doesn't meanb they were against the Indians.

I didn't really care who won. I just wanted to see a great World Series that went 7 games and that's exactly what we got.

Yeah, it's just pretty funny that just a few days before, LeBron had that 3-1 drum at his Halloween party. I guess he's psychic for predicting the Indians' collapse.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would have been dumb (even for Gilbert) to spend >$100M on two guys who were not in the rotation in the Finals (at least last 3 games)

Who said it wouldn't be?

Lets say they played for the minimum.
Would the Cavs be better with them or without them?

Of course better, so the reason they are gone is because of money which @WiggyRuss claims is never a factor in Gilberts decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.