• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its definitely NOT A positive....and i really thought going into Game 7 that Kluber and the Tribe would pull it out--- but i t as obviousa s the game went on that Kluber- and even Miller just had nothing left....at that point i thought it was done....i was shocked Rajai want yard like that- i really like him as a player- and would resign him--- but he is old and will probbly get some decent offers

when you are the Tribe and are a baseball team in Cleveland - you cant operate like that

the Tribe was the ONLY team in the playoffs that was not in the top half of the league in payroll- and they got to extra innings in game 7....that goes to show you how good the management is.

think about this- JON LESTER---- ALONE- makes more then the entire healthy tribe rotation combined- and when healthy the tribes rotation is considered easily one of the top 3 in baseball.

a rotation of Kluber, Tomlin, Bauer, Merritt though?- that wouldnt even be top 15 in baseball.

I agree. The Indians put together a real quality roster together and Francona's one of the best managers in the league. I knew Kluber wouldn't be super human like games 1 and 4, fatigue sets in when you only get 2 3-day rests.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.
After game 5.
Not sure about after game 4.
You were right though that Cubs were favored for each of the last 3 games individually.
of course they were---the Indians had been missing their best player- Michael Brantley all year....The Cubs payroll was 6th in baseball at about 168M - the Indians 25th at bout 98million.

Game 5- The Cubs were throwing their ace- vs. the Indians #5 starter in Bauer- obviously they were heavily favored that game

Game 6- the Cubs were throwing Jake Arrieta- who is the reigning NL Cy Young winner- on full rest--- vs. Josh Tomlin- who had an era of about 4 this year- is the Tribe's #4 starter- and was on short rest....obviously Cubs are the favorites there.

Game 7--- was close- but the Cubs were favorites- probably due to thef act that Kluber that he was pitching on short test for the 2nd game in a row vs. Kyle Hendricks- who WILL be top 3 in the Cy Young voting this year- if not win it.

Its why i was never ever comfortable with the 3-1 lead. IT was laid out perfectly for the Cubs---- missing Salazar and Carrasco didnt catch up to the Tribe against Boston in the 5 game series------ it didnt catch up with them even when idiot bauer hurt his hand and casued them to miss ANOTHER starter in the ALCS vs. Toronto.........It didnt even catch up with them early on in the World Series....

but by the end- Kluber and Miller had just been used too much for too long- and the Cubs payroll and depth were too much to overcome by a team that is missing 3 of its top 7-8 players with 70M less in payroll.

The Tribe blew a 3-1 lead. I dont think they choked though.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The Indians put together a real quality roster together and Francona's one of the best managers in the league. I knew Kluber wouldn't be super human like games 1 and 4, fatigue sets in when you only get 2 3-day rests.

Madison Bumgarner disagrees.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus the advantage def. goes to the hitters when you have seen a pitcher 3 times in a week and a half......thats tough too not even considering the short rest.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Indians have a window of about 2-3 years to get it done. Miller is signed for 2 more years. All the starting pitching is signed up - or cheap and controllable for the next 3-4 years. Lindor is not a free agent for 5 more years...Jose RAmirez and Kipnis are signed up long term or not eligible for FA.

its about another 2-3 year window before the inevitable happens and certain guys become free agents and leave. Its just a reality of baseball in a small market---- especially when youar e competing with the Browns who have God-like status in Cleveland for some reason- and LeBron.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be honest- i wouldnt have been surprised if the Cubs were favorites in all 7 games prior to the first pitch....game 1 is the only one that i think would prob be questionable.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anywhoooooooooooo

as i said- time to focus on basketball now.

Celtics vs. Cavs tonight. Should be fun. The Cavs look like a well-oiled machine right now and are playing great---- but its awesome that even though tonight we play the Celtics- and the CAvs are undefeated thus far and are the defending champs---- all the eyes and pressure and scrutiny will be FAR FAR WEST of Cleveland when OKC goes to GSW.

Golden State is playing a game that if they lose they will have to hear a ton of shit about- have to answer all the same questions that they have been aasked and answered over the last few months, have to answer all the same questions on durant, and chemistry , and shot distribution, etc. etc etc......and no matter what happens- if they win by 30--- they will be asked the SAME questions again next time they play OKC. They will be asked the same questions over and over and over again and have every little move and comment dissected by the media every single day up until they win an NBA Finals....

i know- its what happened to the Cavs last year--- pretty much ran the table from the start as the #1 seed in the East--- but constant questions, constant analysis, constant pressure, the same questions over and over and over again- and no matter what you do- that pressure and those questions and that scrutiny- none of it can and will go away until a title is won.

i do NOT envy the Warriors that. I love that the Cavs are in the position they are in and all the pressure and scrutiny and expectations and constant annoying repeated questions about draymond and klay and curry and the bench and the frontcourt depth and steve kerrs health etc.....- the same stuff over and over again and again and again- is being directed the Warriors way.

sometimes that constant pressure can make a team more focused and more driven and teach them to deal with adversity. Sometimes it can crush them under the weight of expectations. i cant wait to see whath appens. And- last year it certainly seemed like Draymond cracked up under the pressure--- its definitely apparent Durant cracked under pressure thati s NOTHING like what he is going to see this year.......Curry i thought even gagged in the Finals and his Finals the year before was nothing special either.

We will learn a lot about the Warriors this year. Icant wait.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course they were---the Indians had been missing their best player- Michael Brantley all year....The Cubs payroll was 6th in baseball at about 168M - the Indians 25th at bout 98million.

Game 5- The Cubs were throwing their ace- vs. the Indians #5 starter in Bauer- obviously they were heavily favored that game

Game 6- the Cubs were throwing Jake Arrieta- who is the reigning NL Cy Young winner- on full rest--- vs. Josh Tomlin- who had an era of about 4 this year- is the Tribe's #4 starter- and was on short rest....obviously Cubs are the favorites there.

Game 7--- was close- but the Cubs were favorites- probably due to thef act that Kluber that he was pitching on short test for the 2nd game in a row vs. Kyle Hendricks- who WILL be top 3 in the Cy Young voting this year- if not win it.

Its why i was never ever comfortable with the 3-1 lead. IT was laid out perfectly for the Cubs---- missing Salazar and Carrasco didnt catch up to the Tribe against Boston in the 5 game series------ it didnt catch up with them even when idiot bauer hurt his hand and casued them to miss ANOTHER starter in the ALCS vs. Toronto.........It didnt even catch up with them early on in the World Series....

but by the end- Kluber and Miller had just been used too much for too long- and the Cubs payroll and depth were too much to overcome by a team that is missing 3 of its top 7-8 players with 70M less in payroll.

The Tribe blew a 3-1 lead. I dont think they choked though.

What does payroll have to do with it?
MLB is totally different from any other sport because there is no salary cap, and in general young players aren't handed giant contracts right away.
That doesn't mean the young talent can't be as good or better as the veterans who have earned the larger pay days.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Indians have a window of about 2-3 years to get it done. Miller is signed for 2 more years. All the starting pitching is signed up - or cheap and controllable for the next 3-4 years. Lindor is not a free agent for 5 more years...Jose RAmirez and Kipnis are signed up long term or not eligible for FA.

its about another 2-3 year window before the inevitable happens and certain guys become free agents and leave. Its just a reality of baseball in a small market---- especially when youar e competing with the Browns who have God-like status in Cleveland for some reason- and LeBron.

I don't watch regular season baseball, but what happened to KC?
I thought they had a similar built roster to the Tribes.
They went from Champs to Chumps awful quick.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch regular season baseball, but what happened to KC?
I thought they had a similar built roster to the Tribes.
They went from Champs to Chumps awful quick.
KC had injuries- Moustakas, Davis, Cain and more----- and their SP sucks....Cueto left...

KC should be very good next season- but NEXT offseason like half their team is eligible for free agency....their window is next year and then htey are gonna have to take a major step back.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB is totally different from any other sport because there is no salary cap, and in general young players aren't handed giant contracts right away.
That doesn't mean the young talent can't be as good or better as the veterans who have earned the larger pay days.
well thats true- but there is obviously huge advantages to being able to spend money to plug holes. More payroll gives you margin for error and helps a ton with your depth.

I mean- imagine if the Tribe had an extra 70 million dollars they could play with......they could sign a guy like Cespedes to play right field- and not rely on a rookie like Naquin to play center field----

In baseball you are under team control for a total of 6 years--- the first 3 years at renewal numbers- the next 3 at arbitration---- arbitration can get expensive but its not crazy for the most part.

What the Indians do is usually reward young players for performacne by signing them through their arbitration years and usually try and buy out 1 year of free agency- maybe 2--- the players like it because it gives them ceertainty and sets them up for life

like Kluber for example just signed a 5 year deal for 39 million dollars.

luber's contract breaks down this way: $1 million in 2015, $4.5 million in 2016, $7.5 million in 2017, $10.5 million in 2018 and $13 million in 2019. Escalators in the contract can push the last guaranteed year as high as $17 million.

The 2020 option is worth between $13.5 million and $17.5 million. The 2021 option is worth between $14 million and $18 million depending on escalators. It includes a $1 million buyout.

----so- instead of just making like 1.5 million in 2016--- he gets 4.5 million---and the security of a long term contract......

on the open market as a free agent? Kluber would get AT LEAST 20 million a year-- probably like 25 million a year...the Tribe cant afford that------ not because they cant give that to 1 player--- but because of the risk....they cant risk that he becomes ineffective or gets hurt and have a player taking up 20% of their payroll. If he was a free agent he would prob get like a 6 year contract worth like 130 million would be my ugess

since he doesnt have the service time- he signed the 5 year 39 million dollar contract- making him one of the best deals in abseball.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and payroll obviously has a TON to do with it

as i said- the Tribe was 20th in payroll- they were the only team outside of the top 16 to make the playoffs in major league baseball this year.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and payroll obviously has a TON to do with it

as i said- the Tribe was 20th in payroll- they were the only team outside of the top 16 to make the playoffs in major league baseball this year.

There is no salary cap, so no team is limited as to what they can spend.
Why are these billionaire owners worried about 50M here or there?
Oh wait.
They don't have LeBron calling the shots and actually manage their own franchises or hire people who can.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no salary cap, so no team is limited as to what they can spend.
Why are these billionaire owners worried about 50M here or there?
Oh wait.
They don't have LeBron calling the shots and actually manage their own franchises or hire people who can.
well in Cleveland the Dolan's just dont have that much money. They arent billionaires. You have no IDEA the groundswell over the last couple years encouraging Dan G. to buy the Indians so he could flex the biggest fattest wallet in north american sports in a a different sport.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well in Cleveland the Dolan's just dont have that much money. They arent billionaires. You have no IDEA the groundswell over the last couple years encouraging Dan G. to buy the Indians so he could flex the biggest fattest wallet in north american sports in a a different sport.

The Dolans in general are loaded. Its not that they cant, its because its run as a business.

As far as Gilbert, once James is gone, it will also be back to business as usual.
Losing and no luxury tax.
Thats not a knock on him, its just what it is.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dolans in general are loaded. Its not that they cant, its because its run as a business.

As far as Gilbert, once James is gone, it will also be back to business as usual.
Losing and no luxury tax.
Thats not a knock on him, its just what it is.
lol.....your bitterness tolds the Cavs, Gilbert and LeBron just does not go away.

you just CANT STAND the fact that one of the reasons LeBron left was Arison was cheap and Gilbert will spare no expense to win. Of course there was more to it--- but that was definitely an important factor.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. The Indians went absolutely crazy. Loudest the stadium has ever been that I can remember lol

There were a ton of Cubs fans there though.

Well, then they were awfully quiet because the cheers for the Cubs were much louder.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers improved to 2-3 by beating the Hawks. And the other win was against the Rockets.

The kids are looking good. And Swaggy is even earning his starting position.

Why are you talking basketball in a baseball thread? :dhd:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda pathetic that people hate Lebron so much that they root against the team he was cheering for lol. But I do hate the Yankees so

Who was against the Indians because of Lebron? You Lebroniacs need to be less sensitive. Just because someone makes fun of Lebron bandwagoning the Indians or cursing them with his trolling of the Warriors over 3-1 deficits, doesn't meanb they were against the Indians.

I didn't really care who won. I just wanted to see a great World Series that went 7 games and that's exactly what we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.