• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but as soon as you leave you lose that ability to be the designated player which is a huge deal....sure you can always leave for less money- i was just putting out there what you had to do to get the designated player contract and get the most money possible- and its a very big difference.
A six year Designated Player Rookie Extension adds five seasons plus the one still left to play out. Additionally, remember that the Designated Player Rookie Extension has to be an extension, meaning it must be agreed to by October 31 of that player'sfinal season on his four year rookie scale contract.

Its only a 1 year difference. Its not the end of the world. Player will leave. Here is the breakdown.

Explaining the Designated Player Rookie Extension

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A six year Designated Player Rookie Extension adds five seasons plus the one still left to play out. Additionally, remember that the Designated Player Rookie Extension has to be an extension, meaning it must be agreed to by October 31 of that player'sfinal season on his four year rookie scale contract.

Its only a 1 year difference. Its not the end of the world. Player will leave. Here is the breakdown.

Explaining the Designated Player Rookie Extension
dude thats from 2 years agoa nd is no longer relevant

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are down 1 with 7 seconds left on the clock- is there a guy you would rather have with the ball than Kyrie?

i was thinking maybe Durant....after that- prob no one.
He is right up there. Butler is a good one with last sec shots. Irving has done it in bigger games so u have to give it to him. D Wade was good at it. Kobe was the last great one at it. Of Course you have MJ. I know u are talking about right now in the NBA.

Irving would be right there. Just because I watch a lot of him Butler is really good at those. Not saying I would take him over Irving just throwing options out there. That was the 1 thing LBJ always lacked in. That is why its tough to put him up top. He just didnt have that killer instinct or ice in his Veins. Not all great players have it. U either have it or you dont. Like when LBJ takes the last shot im usually happy because I know chances of him missing are high. Irving is a Beast at it. That is why I became a fan of his. Irving All around game isnt great but damn he can score and hit clutch shots.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New veteran-designated-player rule could land Stephen Curry $209 million contract from Warriors

So trades will actually go up. Its not about being on 1 team. 10 year Vets it doesnt matter.

It seems veteran designated players can earn up to 35% of the cap (now a true 35%) and that this veteran-designated contracts are limited to players with 7-9 years experience. Players with 10+ years experience can already earn 35%. Players with 0-6 years experience have the 5th year 30% max criteria (Derrick Rose rule). So, this is a jump from the standard 30% to 35% for qualified players with 7-9 years experience.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is right up there. Butler is a good one with last sec shots. Irving has done it in bigger games so u have to give it to him. D Wade was good at it. Kobe was the last great one at it. Of Course you have MJ. I know u are talking about right now in the NBA.

Irving would be right there. Just because I watch a lot of him Butler is really good at those. Not saying I would take him over Irving just throwing options out there. That was the 1 thing LBJ always lacked in. That is why its tough to put him up top. He just didnt have that killer instinct or ice in his Veins. Not all great players have it. U either have it or you dont. Like when LBJ takes the last shot im usually happy because I know chances of him missing are high. Irving is a Beast at it. That is why I became a fan of his. Irving All around game isnt great but damn he can score and hit clutch shots.
i like when LeBron is taking the last shot when he is driving to the hoop- its a great chance he will make a layup/dunk or get fouled

i HATE IT when he pounds the ball on the perimeter and takes a fall away jumper that is absolute garbage- which he has a tendency to do.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude thats from 2 years agoa nd is no longer relevant
I wanted to put the other website in. The see the difference. I messed up. I just posted the new one. It really doesnt affect much. If anything it helps trades out more. U need to trade the player in the rookie deal and he qualifies but he also has to do one of the other criteria. if he doesnt get the other part of it it doesnt mattter.

I dont think this change will make players stay. Especially the super star player. He will get his money no matter what. The differenece for the Non 10 year Designated Vet is 30% to 35%. He loses 5%.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like when LeBron is taking the last shot when he is driving to the hoop- its a great chance he will make a layup/dunk or get fouled

i HATE IT when he pounds the ball on the perimeter and takes a fall away jumper that is absolute garbage- which he has a tendency to do.
Disagree on the 1st part. I will say this it opens up a shot for others. He is good at that but making the last shot he doesnt like that. He passes the ball more then he shoots it in those moments.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to put the other website in. The see the difference. I messed up. I just posted the new one. It really doesnt affect much. If anything it helps trades out more. U need to trade the player in the rookie deal and he qualifies but he also has to do one of the other criteria. if he doesnt get the other part of it it doesnt mattter.

I dont think this change will make players stay. Especially the super star player. He will get his money no matter what. The differenece for the Non 10 year Designated Vet is 30% to 35%. He loses 5%.
plus a year of guaranteed money from 5 years to 6 years right? and the annual raises of the higher percentage....

it comes out to tens of millions -

and just to be clear- the criteria is pretty strict- you have to be DAMN good- making an All NBA team or other pretty strignent criteria- so its not going to apply to a lot of guys- just to the very very best.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMG_0148.jpg

Discuss this picture of stephanie curry cowering in fear on the bench late in the 4th...

Discuss this defensive masterminded play

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 years of experience washes away everything. Thats why it really doesnt matter to the super stars. They will get their money.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i do think it increases the value a team would potentially get back in a trade though- becuase the team trading for the player has an even greater chance then under the old CBA to keep that guy

like Love for example- the Cavs took that gamble even knowing he would be a FA because of A. how good they were, but also B. the Cavs could offer the most money and most years......

now a team trading for a guy like that pretty much KNOWS a guy is not gonna pass up a boatload of extra cash. ---but it again- makes it less likely they move in the first place and takes awaay a tonof the urgency to trade the guy in the first place- so it kind of balanceso ut.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus a year of guaranteed money from 5 years to 6 years right? and the annual raises of the higher percentage....

it comes out to tens of millions -

and just to be clear- the criteria is pretty strict- you have to be DAMN good- making an All NBA team or other pretty strignent criteria- so its not going to apply to a lot of guys- just to the very very best.
So in a way we were both right. Overall I dont think it will stop players from leaving. If anything it might force bad teams to trade these players before their rookie deal and actually get more back in return. Trade value goes up for a guy like Towns or Davis. The team trading them will be like look Im giving you this young star player with a chance to give him the super max deal. I want more for him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should tell him being an asshole isn't the best way to get people to buy your book

Actually, it kind of is. People like that kind of stuff and all of these leaks about him slamming people seem to be creating interest. At least it's being talked about a lot.

If I'm being completely honest, when I first heard he wrote a book, I had no interest in it. Now that these quotes are coming out, I'm starting to think about buying it. If for no other reason than to see if the stuff he's saying is really that bad.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the CBA they signed makes it increasingly likely he stays....the new CBA just made it a LOT harder to get an elite level free agent.

boo hoo.

I haven't looked closely at the new CBA, so I'm not sure about this. But, if he was traded, wouldn't the ability to sign him to the long term huge contract transfer to the team he was traded to?

Example, if he were traded to the Lakers for maybe Russell (since Luke seems to like the idea of Ingram playing point) and whatever else for George, wouldn't the Lakers have the same option to sign him to one of those contracts like Indy would if he stayed?

If so, then I think we may see guys still leave, but it would be via trade rather than FA.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't looked closely at the new CBA, so I'm not sure about this. But, if he was traded, wouldn't the ability to sign him to the long term huge contract transfer to the team he was traded to?

Example, if he were traded to the Lakers for maybe Russell (since Luke seems to like the idea of Ingram playing point) and whatever else for George, wouldn't the Lakers have the same option to sign him to one of those contracts like Indy would if he stayed?

If so, then I think we may see guys still leave, but it would be via trade rather than FA.
oh yah- it DEFINITELY creates more leverage for a team if they decide to trade a guy- they can definitely get more for him if they decide to go that route instead of having to dump him for pieces parts Carmelo/Nuggets style.--- a team isnt gonna trade a guy unless they get an ENORMOUS package becuase they know they have so much leverage signing a guy.

i mean which ever way you cut it- the CBA just did a HUGE favor for the team that drafted the guy and made it a lot less likely those guys move.....

cool by me.....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can extend two veteran player for six years
The NBA already had a designated rookie rule, which allowed one rookie to be extended by five years instead of the normal four. Teams will now be able to extend that concept to veterans, with the ability to choose two players who can receive a six-year extension, instead of the usual five.

This immediately gives teams with superstars a better chance to retain them, simply due to the sheer amount of guaranteed money that comes with a six-year deal. Were this in place in the past, maybe Kevin Durant never reaches free agency in 2016.

Players must hit certain requirements to qualify for the designated veteran rule, including an All-NBA team, according to ESPN’s Zach Lowe. This rule should affect players like DeMarcus Cousins and Paul George when they become free agents in 2018.

it basically comes down to All-NBA players are a lot less likely to move then they were a month ago pre-new CBA....shouldnt a surprise- the league keeps moving more and more towards this and this is just the next step.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the main advantage though that we havent discussed yet is the ability to offer a 6 year deal BEFORE the contract is up----

theoritically- Durant would not have had to wait till free agency to sign a new 6 year deal- that he could only get from OKC-------- juxtapose that against the max another team could offer- a 4 year deal.

so you are talking about GUARANTEEING 6 years at the highest possible salary before you are even a FA- compared to 4 years while you have to wait until you get to free agency- plus the increases in salary and raises that come with signing with the team that drafted you

this is some really powerful shit when you really get down to reading it. I think that 2nd tier of FA- the good players that are all stars but not quite all nba guys could move around- but the elites, like Paul George, Cousins,- probably Giannis before long etc. ---- lol..i mean shit...

i mean- think about it- sign this 6 year extension at huuuge money right now- or wait a year until free agency and leave and take a 4 year deal at less money....the difference is going to be tens of millions of dollars- ESPECIALLY with how the cap is rising.

I think i read that if Curry wants to leave the Warriors- if the Warriors offeered him the most they could- hed have to leave over 60 million on the table. good luck with that.

"Silver recently told SiriusXM NBA Radio: "One of the things we're talking about ... is coming up with some additional opportunities for the incumbent team to retain the player, some advantages in terms of being able to negotiate earlier to extend the contract. I think if we 'early up' some of those opportunities, at least teams will be in a better position to know, one, whether they can keep that player. And if they can't, there will be more of an opportunity to deal that player and get value for that player if it seems likely that player is going to leave.""

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh- here it is:

NBA commissioner Adam Silver acknowledged in recent weeks, before the NBA and the players' association reached a tentative agreement Wednesday night, that both sides were determined to give small-market teams "some advantages" in their efforts to retain star players.

The widespread expectation in league circles is that rival teams had virtually no shot anyway at luring Curry from the Warriors in free agency in July, but now the finances are stacked against his departure even more. If Curry were interested in changing teams this summer, interested suitors could only offer an estimated maximum contract in the $135 million range over four years, giving Golden State unprecedented ability to retain next summer's co-No. 1 free agent alongside Durant.

urrently playing out the last year on a four-year, $44 million extension that he signed in October 2013 at a time that his long-term durability was still being questioned, Curry will be eligible in July for a new deal that sources say would be worth an estimated $207 million over five years, making it the richest contract in league history and paying out an estimated $47 million in the final season (2021-22).

ya think guys are gonna be anxious to leave OVER $70 MILLION DOLLARS on the table?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i personally love it- makes it a lot more likely Kyrie stays when his contract is up in 3 years.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh- here it is:

NBA commissioner Adam Silver acknowledged in recent weeks, before the NBA and the players' association reached a tentative agreement Wednesday night, that both sides were determined to give small-market teams "some advantages" in their efforts to retain star players.

The widespread expectation in league circles is that rival teams had virtually no shot anyway at luring Curry from the Warriors in free agency in July, but now the finances are stacked against his departure even more. If Curry were interested in changing teams this summer, interested suitors could only offer an estimated maximum contract in the $135 million range over four years, giving Golden State unprecedented ability to retain next summer's co-No. 1 free agent alongside Durant.

urrently playing out the last year on a four-year, $44 million extension that he signed in October 2013 at a time that his long-term durability was still being questioned, Curry will be eligible in July for a new deal that sources say would be worth an estimated $207 million over five years, making it the richest contract in league history and paying out an estimated $47 million in the final season (2021-22).

ya think guys are gonna be anxious to leave OVER $70 MILLION DOLLARS on the table?

Point is not every player is going to stay with their teams. Money is not the only thing players care about. Its not like they're making pennies if they go elsewhere. Players consider family situations, winning, and etc.

You're making it seem like every top player from this point on will re-sign with their team.

Status
Not open for further replies.