• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie Irving shows maturity in acceptance of Tyronn Lue's rest plan despite criticism

Interesting article from ESPN.com- how Irving was not exactly happy with sitting out- but how- for the last calendar year- he had been playing basketball for practically a year straight including being the starting point guard on the NBA Champions and the Gold Medal winning Olympic team.

It seems ot have worked out when he goes for a career high in assists (tying it actually) yesterday.

Kyrie Irving -- you know, the guy with the NBA championship, Olympic gold medal, three All-Star Game appearances, an All-Star MVP, Rookie of the Year award and two 55-plus-point performances to his name, all at the tender age of 24 -- was back on the court Saturday night.

The significance of Irving’s 21-point, six-rebound, 12-assist, three-steal game in the Cleveland Cavaliers' 119-108 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers, other than the fact that the assists tied a career high, was the seven days that preceded it. That’s because Irving -- healthy and smack-dab in the opening act of his prime -- took a week off, at Cavs coach Tyronn Lue’s behest, to rest.

Was he 100 percent OK with that decision?

“Yep,” Irving said, flatly, after the Lakers game.

That’s not how Lue tells it.

“Our biggest thing is trying to keep Kyrie healthy,” said Lue, not needing to remind reporters of the fractured kneecap Irving suffered during the 2015 NBA Finals or the ligament injury to his right big toe he suffered in college. “There’s going to be times where he’s going to be mad at me or mad at the training staff; that’s part of it. The biggest thing is we’re trying to prepare ourselves for the playoffs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isiah Thomas got ejected today for this elbow to Justice Winslows face...damn, he drew blood...it looked inadvertent to me --- but when you cut someones face like that and drop them- i can see why they gave him the flagrant 2- even if it was a 5' nothing guy doing it...yikes...

you guys think that was purposeful?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im impressed with the patience....that route is probably the route to go- but this is year 5 without a playoff win absent a miraculous turnaround...if you continue on that route it could be a total of 7-8 years (or more) without a playoff win until Ingram who is still 19, Russell who is 20, and Randle who is 21 will/can be ready.

As a Lakers fan, I've seen enough championships that I can wait a few years for the next one if need be. One thing I've never gotten to see as a Lakers fan, is watch them rebuild the team literally from the ground up. It's kind of fun.

I think that they will develop enough this year that by next year, they should be in the hunt for a 7-8 seed. Not saying they'll get it, but they should be in the hunt. After that is when they can start looking at which FA's to go after.

Obviously, if something crazy happened where a Lebron, KD or Westbrook suddenly expressed that it's been their life long dream to be a Laker and they want to sign, then you scrap the long haul plan. But barring that, I'm good with the process.

Plus, as others have pointed out, by the time these kids are ready to take the next step, the Cavs and Warriors will be getting long in the tooth and ripe for the Lakers to step into their place.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isiah Thomas got ejected today for this elbow to Justice Winslows face...damn, he drew blood...it looked inadvertent to me --- but when you cut someones face like that and drop them- i can see why they gave him the flagrant 2- even if it was a 5' nothing guy doing it...yikes...

Wasn't on purpose. Whiteside got called for a flagrant 1 on something similar in the 3rd quarter. was trying to post up and caught someone with an elbow

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No it wasn't purposeful, and it shouldn't have been a flagrant 2 but whatever. The refs gave Justice a tech for kneeing Smart in the balls inadvertently to make up for it lol. All jokes aside though, the Celts fell apart after the IT ejection. I thought we might end up losing it for a minute.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Justise. My phone refuses to accept how the man spells his name.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wasn't purposeful, and it shouldn't have been a flagrant 2 but whatever. The refs gave Justice a tech for kneeing Smart in the balls inadvertently to make up for it lol. All jokes aside though, the Celts fell apart after the IT ejection. I thought we might end up losing it for a minute.

These 2 teams don't like each other. The first game got a little chippy as well. If only the Heat could hit their freaking free throws then this game may have ended differently

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who would have guessed out of all the rebuilding t eams- that the one that you could argue has looked the best so far out of the Lakers, Sixers, Twolves, Nuggets, Suns, Magic--- is probably the Nuggets.

Nuggets also have some potential pretty decent trade assets as well in Galo and Faried....kind of interesting.

Mudiay at a dreadfull 37% shooting though- its why if you are a young guard shooting over 40%- while is not great- is fairly respectable for a young guard. (if you are also shooting at least 3 3's a game).

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These 2 teams don't like each other. The first game got a little chippy as well. If only the Heat could hit their freaking free throws then this game may have ended differently
Too many turnovers for you guys to win this game from a moral standpoint lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winslow with 4 rebounds, 4 steals and 4 assists showed his very solid all around game- but the guy def. needs to learn how to shoot.

I know its trite and cliche- and we always hear about how guys have REALLY WORKED ON THEIR ShOT OVER THE SUMMER---- but its a long process to correct a shot that was as seemingly broken as his was when he came into the NBA.

You see MKG- and he is getting better at it- but he is still primarily a great defensive player (and elite rebounder)--- Marcus Smart too.

Some guys just cant figure it out--- some guys do figure it out...itll be intersting to see which one Winslow becomes....however, this year, at a dreadful 34.5% from the field and 64% from the line, and 24% from 3 (and hes taking almost 3 3's a game which is just either him not understanding his limitations or bad coaching) its clear he still has al ong way to go shooting wise.

him and MKG are just such great comps for eachother. You just cannot/should not be shooting 3's when you are shooting under 25% from behind the line- thats just unacceptable. Thats Josh Smith style.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i looked at the box score and saw Miami shot well over 50% from the field - and actually shot better from 3 then Boston did...and wondered how they lost until i saw they had 23 turnovers to Bostons 11....that will get you every time...

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that was another issue. We actually shot the ball pretty well but hard to win when you have 20+ turnovers and shoot barely over 50% from the line.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no games on December 24th, every team except the Knicks and Warriors will play on December 23rd.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was just looking at some stats

surprisingly- Toronto is tied with the Cavs for #1 in the league in 3 pt shooting. at 40.1%....i didnt expect that. A lot of credit towards DeRozans improved shooting, Lowry having a freaking great year, Terrence Ross becoming a very solid bench player....

Golden State is at 38.1% after shooting 41.6% last year.

Utah is surprising to me at 7th....i just dont see them as a great 3 pt shooting team when you look at their roster- Hill and Hood are shooting lights out....Joe Johnson also was a very nice pickup.

what a difference a coach makes- last year the Lakers were the worst 3pt shooting team in the entire NBA- this year they are up to 17th---- a very substantial jump in one year- give a ton of credit to Luke WAlton. That is a HUGE improvement and bodes well going forward.

not surprisingly the worst 3 pt shooting teams in the league are the Bulls (last at an atrocious 30.3%)---eeveryone knew that would be a huge problem for the Bulls- and its something they badly need to correct if they are gonna make any noise.

the Heat are 2nd last in the entire league at 32.7%- which really isnt a surprise becuase they have a very weak 3 pt shooting team- and have for a while now. They are simply atrocious at shooting the 3 and their center who provides no spacing certainly doesnt help.

and the Grizzlies are 3rd worst- which is a little surprising at 32.9%.....but they obviously are the most old-school NBA team out there.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was just looking at some stats

surprisingly- Toronto is tied with the Cavs for #1 in the league in 3 pt shooting. at 40.1%....i didnt expect that. A lot of credit towards DeRozans improved shooting, Lowry having a freaking great year, Terrence Ross becoming a very solid bench player....

Golden State is at 38.1% after shooting 41.6% last year.

Utah is surprising to me at 7th....i just dont see them as a great 3 pt shooting team when you look at their roster- Hill and Hood are shooting lights out....Joe Johnson also was a very nice pickup.

what a difference a coach makes- last year the Lakers were the worst 3pt shooting team in the entire NBA- this year they are up to 17th---- a very substantial jump in one year- give a ton of credit to Luke WAlton. That is a HUGE improvement and bodes well going forward.

not surprisingly the worst 3 pt shooting teams in the league are the Bulls (last at an atrocious 30.3%)---eeveryone knew that would be a huge problem for the Bulls- and its something they badly need to correct if they are gonna make any noise.

the Heat are 2nd last in the entire league at 32.7%- which really isnt a surprise becuase they have a very weak 3 pt shooting team- and have for a while now. They are simply atrocious at shooting the 3 and their center who provides no spacing certainly doesnt help.

and the Grizzlies are 3rd worst- which is a little surprising at 32.9%.....but they obviously are the most old-school NBA team out there.

Your heat comment shows once again you know absolutely nothing about that basketball team. Your blaming whiteside for everything act is getting very old.

The heat are shooting poorly from 3 because they don't have many shooters on this time. Nothing to do with Whiteside at all. The quality looks are there every game

Status
Not open for further replies.