• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 rebound in the first half for Hassan. 12 rebounds in the 3rd for Hassan.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami missing so many chances right now. Too many silly turnovers

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Tyler Zeller could you be anymore worthless?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Johnson already with a career high in 3 point makes for a season

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man the end of that game was brutally long. Much needed win for the Celts though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. all these false narratives about "helping the kids" are just so ridiculous its not even funny. James Jones makes the league minimum and is one of the best teammates in the NBA. You can find PLENTY of guys that are great teammates that can throw an arm around a young guy that dont make 16 million a year like the corpsoe of Luol Deng- or Lou WilliamsLou Williams is playing himself into being an actual asset that might be able to bring back a 2nd round pick or a late 1st round pick if a team gets desperate and has an injury. Lou Williams will NOT be part of the next Lakers team taht wins a playoff series- so keeping him makes no sense to me if you can get an asset that can actually help the the team down the line when they are ready to compete. Williams makes 8M a year next year and is then subsequently a free agent---- you want him there long term and renogiate a new deal at AT LEAST 15M a year or get a 1st rounder for him that will be with the team for 4-6 years and make practically no money? to me thats an easy answser.

You can call them false narratives all you want. The Lakers coaching staff is very happy with what Deng, Mozgov and Williams are doing with the kids. I'll just gom ahead and take their word over yours. As for Lou, who knows if he'll be part of the next Lakers team to win a playoff series or not? He's only 30 and he comes off the bench. He may be a valuable piece. A lot will depend on how quickly the young guys develop. I don't have a problem if the Lakers decide to trade him as long as they get something of true value. I'm sure that as the trade deadline approaches, there will be a playoff team or 2 looking to add his scoring off the bench. If it happens, hopefully the Lakers will get worthwhile assets.

Personally, even though he's playing well, I'd rather they trade Nick Young, Lou is more reliable. Of course, Lou is probably worth more for that very reason.

2. My post about Ingram was BEFORE todays game- when he had arguably the best game of his career at 9, 10 and 10. on 40% shooting---- he just does NOT look like the type of athlete that is usually taken that high in the draft. From what i saw from him- he looks like he is a heady basketball player that knows what he is doing, but there wasnt one time where i saw a play from him and thought- DAMN that guy was the 2nd pick in the draft because he CAN DO THAT!!- By this time last year you had already seen that from Russell a few instances where you sat back and said- "All right- i get why this guy was taken 2nd overall".

The Lakers are intentionally bringing him along slowly. Also, there have been flashes. You wouldn't know, because you don't watch the Lakers. Lakers fans have no complaints about him. The kid is 19, he's been getting playing time at small forward and has also been playing some point guard as well. In fact, from what was being said last night on the Lakers broadcast, Luke may be considering moving him to PG at some point. Apparently, he likes the idea of a 6'9" point guard. I seem to remember the Lakers having some luck with a point guard of that size in the past. lol

3. Tarik Black is just the worst. Think about that- you have a guy on a 2 year contract - who is taking playing time away from actual young players like Nance Jr., Thomas Robinson and eventually Zubac and . You already spent a boatload of money on a Mozgov who makes 15 million a year...then another 7 on Tarik Black? Thats 22 million dollars on very mediocre centers. Why not give Black's minutes to Randle/Nance Jr.,/Thomas Robinson(a former top 5 pick that is at least a little intriguing) and Mozgov (who is playing VERY VERY light minutes- like 22 minutes a night)/ - and have an extra 7 million in cap space. Its the type of strategy that REAL GM's implement.

Black is doing well and $7 million isn't overpaying for what he brings. He's obviously not going to be an all-star, but he has good energy, plays defense and runs the floor. With today's salaries, what he's making is fair. It's not like he's sitting in on the end of the bench, not playing.

It's funny how you think you know so much about players on a team you don't watch play.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou would be awesome for a Team like the Bulls, Sixers or Bucks who need shooting desperately.

But, I disagree on the need to deal him....

What's the hurry?

It's not like trading him is gonna bring in the final piece to compete for a chip.

Draft picks are nice.

But, they have enough youth and don't need to add another toddler unless he is of the can't miss variety.

Plus, let's be honest...

The return for Lou will be much higher around the deadline.

But, with that contract, I'd be inclined to keep him the whole year unless something to good to be true comes along.

Exactly. The Lakers are taking the same approach as OKC and GSW a few years back. They are looking to develop a young core who will grow together.

Are they overpaying for guys like Mozgov and Deng? Yes, but it doesn't really matter at this point. As you said, they're not exactly looking for the final piece for a championship right now.

In 2-3 years, when the young guys are hopefully truly ready to start being contenders, the older guys like Deng and Mozgov will be at the end of their contracts, or close enough to it that the Lakers will likely be able to trade them to a team looking for expiring contracts, or worst case, have to keep them on the books one more season waiting for those contracts to expire.

If Lou continues to play the way he has, there will very likely be playoff contenders looking for someone who can score like he can. So, it's pretty likely that the Lakers will receive offers. Maybe they get one they like, maybe not. Point is, the Lakers aren't in a hurry on this rebuild.

Personally, I like what they are doing. If you're not going the FA route for a rebuild, then the best way is to go young, bring in solid vets to help teach and be patient. I hope they don't look to be major players in FA next year (although they probably will at least test the waters). I'd rather develop the young guys, then look to fill in around them with FA's rather than try to "bag an elephant" who may mess up the chemistry of the team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers were so concerned about going after a max salary guy in the summer of 2017 then they wouldn't have made a lot of moves they made last summer. They obviously have their plan in place on how they want to approach next summer.

This.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The Lakers are taking the same approach as OKC and GSW a few years back. They are looking to develop a young core who will grow together.

Are they overpaying for guys like Mozgov and Deng? Yes, but it doesn't really matter at this point. As you said, they're not exactly looking for the final piece for a championship right now.

In 2-3 years, when the young guys are hopefully truly ready to start being contenders, the older guys like Deng and Mozgov will be at the end of their contracts, or close enough to it that the Lakers will likely be able to trade them to a team looking for expiring contracts, or worst case, have to keep them on the books one more season waiting for those contracts to expire.

If Lou continues to play the way he has, there will very likely be playoff contenders looking for someone who can score like he can. So, it's pretty likely that the Lakers will receive offers. Maybe they get one they like, maybe not. Point is, the Lakers aren't in a hurry on this rebuild.

Personally, I like what they are doing. If you're not going the FA route for a rebuild, then the best way is to go young, bring in solid vets to help teach and be patient. I hope they don't look to be major players in FA next year (although they probably will at least test the waters). I'd rather develop the young guys, then look to fill in around them with FA's rather than try to "bag an elephant" who may mess up the chemistry of the team.
OKC? OKC did the type of thing i suggested- rent out your cap space for extra draft picks and save it- When did Oklahoma City spend a ton of money on long term contracts when Westbrook and Durant were young?

the BIGGEST problem i see with Deng and Mozgov is that their contracts wont be up by the time its time for Randle and Russell to sign extensions.

The Cavs had to get their business done before Kyrie Irving's contract jumped from very reasonable to a max deal--- thats the time when you add free agents.....as soon as Mozgov and Deng come off the books Russell will already be on the books for big time dollars (if he works out and is worth it).

Obviously its a lot easier to sign free agents when Durant and RW are on rookie deals, or Russell and Randle are on rookie deals- instead of each making AT LEAST 18 million or more a year (if they work out and you want to sign them to that deals of course).

Usually- the best strategy is sign free agents BEFORE the young guy's contract value explodes. The signing of Mozgov and Deng and Black and Williams and Clarkson- prevents that type of thing.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmy getting his jersey raised tonight. The official nature of it finally sets in.

it might be the first time Pop tears up.

Still holding out hope that he grabs the jersey and decides to suit up.

Nice ceremony

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justice Winslow looks helpless on offense....he really is MKG 2.0.

Marcus Smart is pretty brutal offensively as well thus far.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you dont think the Lakers will try and sign a max free agent this summer?

I hope not. They tried the quick rebuild via FA and it got them where they are now. I'm sure they'll test the waters. But I'd rather stick with the long haul. Let the kids develop and then fill in around them via FA in 2-3 years. If they go that route, the Deng and Mozgov contracts will either be expired or have 1 year left and could possibly be traded. That will free up the space necessary to bring in better role players to fill in around the young core, or land a max level FA if the right one is available.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not. They tried the quick rebuild via FA and it got them where they are now. I'm sure they'll test the waters. But I'd rather stick with the long haul. Let the kids develop and then fill in around them via FA in 2-3 years. If they go that route, the Deng and Mozgov contracts will either be expired or have 1 year left and could possibly be traded. That will free up the space necessary to bring in better role players to fill in around the young core, or land a max level FA if the right one is available.
im impressed with the patience....that route is probably the route to go- but this is year 5 without a playoff win absent a miraculous turnaround...if you continue on that route it could be a total of 7-8 years (or more) without a playoff win until Ingram who is still 19, Russell who is 20, and Randle who is 22 will/can be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.