• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the opposite. I think as LeBron ages he will move closer to the basket and play more as a PF.

I think as LeBron ages he'll lose more hair.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I think it's funny that people are waiting for Father Time to catch up w/ LeBron. He's no different than any other athlete. Now time for an escape route outta here...

:plane:

:trash:
itll happen eventually thats for sure.

Its another reason why he was smart hitching his ride to guys in their prime in Love and Irving rather than guys even older then he is in Wade and Bosh.

I think he moves into the post more and continues to expand his game. Its just who he is.

This LeBron- right now today- I think is the toughest LeBron to beat 4 out of 7 games in his entire career.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
itll happen eventually thats for sure.

Its another reason why he was smart hitching his ride to guys in their prime in Love and Irving rather than guys even older then he is in Wade and Bosh.

I think he moves into the post more and continues to expand his game. Its just who he is.

This LeBron- right now today- I think is the toughest LeBron to beat 4 out of 7 games in his entire career.

Not sure I agree that where LeBron is now it's the toughest to beat his team in a 7 game series. They have been reeling for a while & are running out of time in the regular season to fix what's broken. They are playing their worst basketball of the season @ the wrong time.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are seriously discounting the value of a top 3 pick--- "not the end of the world"---

i mean- its the difference between getting a top 3 pick in a draft that is LOADED in the top 7-8 picks- AND keeping the pick that might go to Orlando.

I mean- i dont think you could put ENOUGH importance on getting a Jackson or Ball or Fultz. If any one of those guys was drafted by the Lakers they would become the biggest potential talent the Lakers have had since Kobe and a possibility to be the guy on the front of the Lakers program, the guy who's picture is printed on their season tickets- the guy that is their true FRANCHISE player going forward.

I mean- in the NBA- thats the MOST important thing- a FRANCHISE player in their prime....while i think the Lakers have done a decent/solid job of drafting the last few years- if i was putting money on anyone currently on their roster becoming a "franchise" guy- id prob say no.

If they had Ball or Fultz or Jackson- id say PROB yes. That guy would allow all the other guys to fit into roles they are better established for--- to let Russell be the #2 guy and not have as much emphasis on scoring- to let Ingram slot in at 3 and become (hopefully) a better version of a Luol Deng in his prime type player--- to allow Randle to become that 4th guy who grabs a bunch of rebounds, runs the court etc.

It would just make the roster fall into place so much better and allow guys to be put into roles where they arent asked to do stuff they prob. arent capable of doing

that- AND - if you are trying to bring in an elite free agent- having LaVar Ball or Fultz certainly would help.

No offense. But that's the mentality of a team that has spent many more years chasing lottery balls than championships.

I'm not saying that I don't want a top 3 pick. Just that it's not the end of the world if they don't get it and I don't want to undermine the development of the guys already on the team.

While that win yesterday hurts their chances of retaining that pick, it does wonders for the guys who are currently on the team and that the Lakers are trying to develop right now. I think FA's are going to be more attracted to a team that looks like it may be developing into something pretty good, than a team full of underdeveloped players who look lost when the game is on the line and are adding another player who will also still need some development.

Plus, as has been pointed out, players and coaches don't tank. FO's do. The Lakers FO has done their job by shipping off Lou Williams (they may have 4 or 5 more wins if he's still on the team) and shutting down Deng and Mozgov.

If the youngsters figure some things out here towards the end and it costs them the pick...so be it. At least it will likely mean that they've shown some growth which what the season was about anyway once it was obvious the playoffs weren't happening.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense. But that's the mentality of a team that has spent many more years chasing lottery balls than championships.

I'm not saying that I don't want a top 3 pick. Just that it's not the end of the world if they don't get it and I don't want to undermine the development of the guys already on the team.

While that win yesterday hurts their chances of retaining that pick, it does wonders for the guys who are currently on the team and that the Lakers are trying to develop right now. I think FA's are going to be more attracted to a team that looks like it may be developing into something pretty good, than a team full of underdeveloped players who look lost when the game is on the line and are adding another player who will also still need some development.

Plus, as has been pointed out, players and coaches don't tank. FO's do. The Lakers FO has done their job by shipping off Lou Williams (they may have 4 or 5 more wins if he's still on the team) and shutting down Deng and Mozgov.

If the youngsters figure some things out here towards the end and it costs them the pick...so be it. At least it will likely mean that they've shown some growth which what the season was about anyway once it was obvious the playoffs weren't happening.
it think you are SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY over valuing a win or two here or there as something that actually matters going forward. The Twolves had a couple wins like that last season. Same with the Cavs when they were rebulding- same with any team.

it comes down to one simple and irrefutable fact-

Its only gonna turn when you get the talent. And right now the Lakers dont have enough- and a top 3 pick would be HUGE in changing that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just becomes lebron isnt going full tilt in the regular season doesnt mean the ability isnt there

Exhibit 1 A?---- his defining moment.

NOT EVEN ONE PLAYER in the NBA could have POSSIBLY made the play that he made in Game 7- the play of his career.

Does LeBron have the pure athleticism he had at 23 years old right now? ehhhh prob. not--- has he supplemented that with intelligence and gamesmanship and expiernece? absolutely

and he can still get up and make a play like this- which no one else in the NBA could EVEN dream of making.

View attachment 157286

This post shows what I mean when I say you don't know the game. 1 great play in last years finals doesn't mean he hasn't started to decline.

As has been pointed out, he can definitely still play top notch defense and make great plays. What he can't do anymore, is do it for an entire game. He has to pick his spots and do it for a few minutes here and there and in key situations.

The same thing started happening with Kobe at just about the same age. It doesn't mean Lebron isn't still a great player or that he isn't still the best in the game. It just means that he has to make certain concessions to age in order to maximize his abilities.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post shows what I mean when I say you don't know the game. 1 great play in last years finals doesn't mean he hasn't started to decline.

As has been pointed out, he can definitely still play top notch defense and make great plays. What he can't do anymore, is do it for an entire game. He has to pick his spots and do it for a few minutes here and there and in key situations.

The same thing started happening with Kobe at just about the same age. It doesn't mean Lebron isn't still a great player or that he isn't still the best in the game. It just means that he has to make certain concessions to age in order to maximize his abilities.
if you are saying that LeBron has to conserve his energy more- definitely agree- thats already been going on for years. ESPECIALLY in the regular season.

if you are saying that LeBron has lost a step and no longer has that top gear---- thats just wrong.

not one other player could make the play he made in the Finals. No one has the combination of skills to do that in the entire league. He still has that top gear he has always had.

if he doesnt reach that top gear during the regular season on a nightly basis- thats just common sense- nothing he can prove during the regular season. The playoffs are what matters. And he can absolutely find that top gear when he wants to. Itll be a while yet before he loses that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I've seen probably 68 of the 70 games he's played in this season. The wonders of DVR.

I'm not saying I haven't seen bad defense from him. What I said was that the bad defense I've seen has been - in my estimation - the result of effort or miscommunication with teammates. I haven't seen him get beat in a foot race, or fail to jump high enough. This isn't a plodding old dude that you can see just doesn't have the stuff to keep up. I'm sure he's had some athletic decline, because I assume he is a mortal human being - but where he's at right now, today - athletically - is still in the elite echelon of nba players.

What the fuck is it with you fucking Cavs fans and Lebroniacs that you have to respond to shit that was never said? I mean, now even you're doing it.

I never said he athleticism wasn't elite and I even have said that he's still the best player in the game. What I have said is that he can't guard the opponents best player for long stretches anymore and that he gets beat off the dribble by guys who, just a few short years ago, would never have been able to do it.

It's not an attack on Lebron, it's statement of fact based on his age and miles on his body. As I said, the same thing started with Kobe at just about the same age. It happens to every great player.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,885.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the opposite. I think as LeBron ages he will move closer to the basket and play more as a PF.

His knees can't take that.....his shock absorbers have taken a pounding....if he hopes to play for another seasons he has to ease the amount of pressure they take.

Just my opinion.....who knows? I've never EVER been wrong before. Now, have I?

:noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it think you are SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY over valuing a win or two here or there as something that actually matters going forward. The Twolves had a couple wins like that last season. Same with the Cavs when they were rebulding- same with any team.

it comes down to one simple and irrefutable fact-

Its only gonna turn when you get the talent. And right now the Lakers dont have enough- and a top 3 pick would be HUGE in changing that.

And i think you are SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY undervaluing the development of young guys who are already on the team for a guy who may or may not develop into the player he's projected to be.

You don't watch enough of the Lakers to know anything about how much talent they do or do not have.

Also, you can't ask guys to give their best effort, develop their games and go out and lose.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,885.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Lakers chances of making the playoffs slim.........I hope the Clipps go deeeeeeeeeeeeeep into the playoffs.

There, I just jinxed them.

*Watches out for Big Red in retaliation*

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck is it with you fucking Cavs fans and Lebroniacs that you have to respond to shit that was never said? I mean, now even you're doing it.

I never said he athleticism wasn't elite and I even have said that he's still the best player in the game. What I have said is that he can't guard the opponents best player for long stretches anymore and that he gets beat off the dribble by guys who, just a few short years ago, would never have been able to do it.

It's not an attack on Lebron, it's statement of fact based on his age and miles on his body. As I said, the same thing started with Kobe at just about the same age. It happens to every great player.

Geez, that seems like a bit of an overreaction to my post. Based on the last couple of posts you made, I think we're agreeing more than we realize.

All I was saying was that I haven't seen a dramatic decline in his athleticism. I don't care whether someone said that or not... I'm just stating my opinion. Am I only allowed to comment on other people's comments... I can't make my own?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are saying that LeBron has to conserve his energy more- definitely agree- thats already been going on for years. ESPECIALLY in the regular season.

That's more or less what I'm saying.

if you are saying that LeBron has lost a step and no longer has that top gear---- thats just wrong.

Defensively, I am 100% correct. You may not like it, but it's a fact.

not one other player could make the play he made in the Finals.

The fact that you think 1 play made in the finals shows that he hasn't lost a step on defense, shows how completely unable to be even the tiniest bit objective you are when it comes to Lebron.

But then, you also think that one defensive stop in the finals by Kevin Love makes him a great defender.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What i dont think you understand its not that LeBron CANT- its that its not smart. LeBron isnt going to go 100% during the regular season anymore- especially on the defensive end.

If you watch the playoffs? its a totally different story. Its why the people who are panicking about the CAvs defense need to take a chill pill.

I TOTALLY disagree that he is "getting beat off the dribble" by guys that he would have d'd up a "few short years ago". Thats nonsense.

the LeBron you are seeing in the regular season- is NOT the LeBron you will be seeing in the playoffs.

I totally agree that the Cavs have gone out of their way the last 3 years to reduce LeBron's workload and responsibilities- especially on the defensive end- its the smart thing to do- you dont want to run him into the ground like Kobe was run into the ground.

but its not because he has lost ability. Its because they want him to conserve his energy for the only thing that matters-

the playoffs.

if anyone thinks LeBron has lost actual ABILITY they just havent been paying attention.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I TOTALLY disagree that he is "getting beat off the dribble" by guys that he would have d'd up a "few short years ago". Thats nonsense.

That's because you're blind when it comes to Lebron and every one of your posts shows it. I saw Brandon Ingram do it to him twice and beat him back door a couple of times in the game vs. the Lakers. No way in hell Ingram does that to him a few short years ago.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, that seems like a bit of an overreaction to my post. Based on the last couple of posts you made, I think we're agreeing more than we realize.

All I was saying was that I haven't seen a dramatic decline in his athleticism. I don't care whether someone said that or not... I'm just stating my opinion. Am I only allowed to comment on other people's comments... I can't make my own?
exactly.

LeBron DEFINITELY doesnt give effort on the defensive end like he did 5 years ago- but he WITHOUT A DOUBT still has that top gear avaliable to go to whenever he wants to.

LeBron- at 32 years old- isnt gonna bust his ass on the defensive end during an 82 game regular season the way he used to- it makes no sense and would do little but make him less effective during the playoffs.

but rest be assured- that top gear he has had - he STILL has. There is no drop off there when he wants to bring it. HE is just more selective- in a smart way- when and for how long he brings it.

His focus is on the playoffs- not the regular season.

its why people who watch the Cavs on a regular basis know that when the playoffs start- a huge piece of their improvement will be LeBron just "going into playoff mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.