• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem is what you've described- just being happy with minimal progress. While I agree Houston has improved in seeding from last year- they've still got A LOT of work to do. Part of that should come in the form of the coach recognizing there is TWO SIDES of the ball. Working on offense only isn't going to get the job done. And yes them not winning a title IS ON HIM since he signed on as the leader of the team. He's the one calling the shots so he has to take the good with the bad- in this case the bad being falling short of winning.

Let's be clear- they've already crossed the hurdle of GETTING to the playoffs BEFORE D'antoni became HC. IMO moving to a higher seed is a start- but at this point their goal should be WINNING in the playoffs rather than just getting there. And only improving offense IMO isn't going to get them closer to that goal.

I never said anything about them just being happy, I just said they've already exceeded expectations. The difference in your example is that it's not simply about seeding. D'Antoni took a borderline playoff team last year and converted them to a 3 seed, but legitimately a top 5 team and true contender for a finals appearance. Make no mistake the Spurs and the Warriors are the favorites in the West, but would you really be that shocked if the Rockets made the conference finals?

In basketball terms, that's an ENORMOUS leap. That's not taking a non-playoff team to playoff team. That's taking a playoff team and making them elite. It's what Steve Kerr did with the Warriors after they let Mark Jackson go. Who's job was harder? Mark Jackson taking that team from a non-playoff team to a 6 seed? Or Taking a 6th seed and getting them to 1 and a title contender?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Cavs don't win it all this year their season is a failure. The only person that doesn't see that is wiggy.
I totally agree that the season was a dissapointment if the Cavs dont win a title.

I just dont know anyone that thought LeBron would win a title every year he was here.

If in the big picture LeBron gets 2-3 titles and makes the Finals 5-6 times---- that will be an amazing success.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think the Cavs expected to win the title every year that LeBron is here?

I sure didnt

If LeBron plays 6-7 years in Cleveland and comes away with 5 title appearances and 2 titles that would be without a doubt success on a major level.

Absolutely ill continue to brag about how fucking great the Cavs are--- unless they lose to some shit bag Eastern Conference team or get swept or have no chance in the Finals.

Considering Lebron is the best player in the world, as you have stated numerous times, playing with a team with the highest payroll in league history, and one of the greatest young clutch players in the game in Kyrie, with another allstar in Kevin Love....

Yes it would be massively disappointing.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree that the season was a dissapointment if the Cavs dont win a title.

I just dont know anyone that thought LeBron would win a title every year he was here.

If in the big picture LeBron gets 2-3 titles and makes the Finals 5-6 times---- that will be an amazing success.

LITERALLY EVERYONE THOUGHT THIS UNTIL THE WARRIORS CAME OUT OF NOWHERE.

The season the Warriors won the championship, go look at the title odds for the Cavs. Then go look at the title odds for the Warriors to start that season. Then all of a sudden now it's not expected for Lebron to win a championship? GTFO.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Durant progressing well, will be re-evaluated in 7-10 days, per Warriors PR report.
its a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE TINY TIM!!! i mean- that uncertainty was just giving me some serious constipation- i dunno about you. I mean- could you even STAND the "uncertainty" LOL.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you-retweeted-kevin-durant-a-kdtrey5-now-everybody-wanna-play-2986405.png
hes such a fake.

Reactions: TJL

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE TINY TIM!!! i mean- that uncertainty was just giving me some serious constipation- i dunno about you. I mean- could you even STAND the "uncertainty" LOL.

Go back and look at every single one of my posts. At no point did I make a big deal about Durant's injury...you did. All I said is that I would take the team straight up, as is, with Durant being hurt at the time and bet them to win it all over the Cavs.

Then you came out of the wood works with every excuse why you didn't want to make a bet. You're such a joke.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and look at every single one of my posts. At no point did I make a big deal about Durant's injury...you did. All I said is that I would take the team straight up, as is, with Durant being hurt at the time and bet them to win it all over the Cavs.

Then you came out of the wood works with every excuse why you didn't want to make a bet. You're such a joke.
are you okay now lil guy? is the "uncertainty" a lil more bearable?

i mean- that uncertainty was avoidable if you could read and werent a panicker/alarmist

i bet you freak out when the weatherman predicts a bad storm to dont you? lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LITERALLY EVERYONE THOUGHT THIS UNTIL THE WARRIORS CAME OUT OF NOWHERE.

The season the Warriors won the championship, go look at the title odds for the Cavs. Then go look at the title odds for the Warriors to start that season. Then all of a sudden now it's not expected for Lebron to win a championship? GTFO.
you are a clown

I can find people ON THIS WEBSITE ALONE that predicted the HAwks would beat the Cavs in the playoffs in 2015.

you are such a fucking joke.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

my excuse was i could read an injury report. LOL. apparently you cant.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said anything about them just being happy, I just said they've already exceeded expectations. The difference in your example is that it's not simply about seeding. D'Antoni took a borderline playoff team last year and converted them to a 3 seed, but legitimately a top 5 team and true contender for a finals appearance. Make no mistake the Spurs and the Warriors are the favorites in the West, but would you really be that shocked if the Rockets made the conference finals?

In basketball terms, that's an ENORMOUS leap. That's not taking a non-playoff team to playoff team. That's taking a playoff team and making them elite. It's what Steve Kerr did with the Warriors after they let Mark Jackson go. Who's job was harder? Mark Jackson taking that team from a non-playoff team to a 6 seed? Or Taking a 6th seed and getting them to 1 and a title contender?
You're the one who argued they should be getting pats on the back- and I simply added they're not done. I get that you're ready to recognize their growth- but they're not even done this season so we don't know how far they'll get.

And I think taking a 6th seed team and making them CHAMPS the very next season is harder. Which is EXACTLY my point in what the goal should be. It's a supporting factor in the belief that it can be done with the right coach/player(s) combination.

And yes, I would be shocked if they made it to the Conf. Finals. That means they would've had to beat at least one of the top 2 teams to get there. The Warriors & Spurs play on BOTH ends of the court so that would be a MAJOR feat for Houston. We saw a clear example of that last night.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are a clown

I can find people ON THIS WEBSITE ALONE that predicted the HAwks would beat the Cavs in the first round in 2015.

you are such a fucking joke.

Again, you're an idiot and I'll explain why.

The Cavs struggled during the start of that season and didn't find their rhythm till the mid season. But before the season started what was the case? Here's the bleacher report listing of their odds to win the title that year and the blurbs:

Cavs Title odds: 5:2 (which is very very good, since I know you don't know a lot about betting). Top team to win it all.

Sin City's pick at this point is, indeed, the Cleveland Cavaliers. As the last four years have shown, if you play in the East and LeBron James is on your team, you're probably going to wind up in the Finals.

To be sure, that's not a given for these Cavs. They still have much to prove, including (but certainly not limited to) how their star-studded parts will fit together, whether they'll be able to stop anybody on defense and what David Blatt will be like as a head coach in the NBA after all the success he enjoyed abroad.

The field in front of Cleveland might not be a cinch, either. The Bulls bring experience and defensive toughness to the table and figure to score their fair share with Derrick Rose back and Pau Gasol in the mix. The Wizards and Raptors should both be better, and the Heat, Hornets and Nets could all be surprisingly good.

On the whole, though, the Cavs' path out of the Eastern Conference should be a cakewalk compared to the bloodbath that awaits the West's best.

Golden State Warriors odds: 25:1
In truth, the NBA's best backcourt resides not in Cleveland or Washington, but rather in Oakland, where Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson play.

Thompson, in particular, has been a hot topic of discussion for the Golden State Warriors in recent months. First, he was (reportedly) the reason the Warriors didn't pull the trigger on a Kevin Love trade. As much as they wanted Love, the Dubs didn't want to part ways with Thompson, who may not be as good as Love on the whole but ranks highly at a position of greater scarcity.

Then, Thompson put together a strong two-way performance on behalf of Team USA at the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain. Now, the 24-year-old sharpshooter is closing in on a rich extension with Golden State.

"I just let (agent Bill Duffy) and the front office sort it out," Thompson said at the team's media day, via the Bay Area News Group's Diamond Leung. "I know if I just keep my mind on hoops and staying healthy, I know everything else will take care of itself."

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my excuse was i could read an injury report. LOL. apparently you cant.

So you were just scared then to take the bet? Let's say for sake of argument that Durant was 100% healthy right now and the Warriors were firing on cylinders. You still wouldn't back you team up after all the shit you've talked? You're so bold.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you're an idiot and I'll explain why.

The Cavs struggled during the start of that season and didn't find their rhythm till the mid season. But before the season started what was the case? Here's the bleacher report listing of their odds to win the title that year and the blurbs:

Cavs Title odds: 5:2 (which is very very good, since I know you don't know a lot about betting). Top team to win it all.

Sin City's pick at this point is, indeed, the Cleveland Cavaliers. As the last four years have shown, if you play in the East and LeBron James is on your team, you're probably going to wind up in the Finals.

To be sure, that's not a given for these Cavs. They still have much to prove, including (but certainly not limited to) how their star-studded parts will fit together, whether they'll be able to stop anybody on defense and what David Blatt will be like as a head coach in the NBA after all the success he enjoyed abroad.

The field in front of Cleveland might not be a cinch, either. The Bulls bring experience and defensive toughness to the table and figure to score their fair share with Derrick Rose back and Pau Gasol in the mix. The Wizards and Raptors should both be better, and the Heat, Hornets and Nets could all be surprisingly good.

On the whole, though, the Cavs' path out of the Eastern Conference should be a cakewalk compared to the bloodbath that awaits the West's best.

Golden State Warriors odds: 25:1
In truth, the NBA's best backcourt resides not in Cleveland or Washington, but rather in Oakland, where Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson play.

Thompson, in particular, has been a hot topic of discussion for the Golden State Warriors in recent months. First, he was (reportedly) the reason the Warriors didn't pull the trigger on a Kevin Love trade. As much as they wanted Love, the Dubs didn't want to part ways with Thompson, who may not be as good as Love on the whole but ranks highly at a position of greater scarcity.

Then, Thompson put together a strong two-way performance on behalf of Team USA at the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain. Now, the 24-year-old sharpshooter is closing in on a rich extension with Golden State.

"I just let (agent Bill Duffy) and the front office sort it out," Thompson said at the team's media day, via the Bay Area News Group's Diamond Leung. "I know if I just keep my mind on hoops and staying healthy, I know everything else will take care of itself."
oh i forgot just becuase you are the favorite that means you should win. The Warriors were the favorites in the Finals last year---- the Heat were favorites the year Dallas beat them--- OKC was a favorite over Miami in the Finals. Golden State is a humognous favorite this year

If you think just because a team is a favorite it means they will win you are a fucking idiot.

Jordan won 6 titles in 15 years.

Do I expect LEBron to win 6 titles if he is in Cleveland for 6 years? of course not- that would be insane.

Do I expect him to go deep into the playoffs each year and have a shot at winning it? of course.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs were the title favorites the minute Lebron joined the Cavs. From literally every sports book. Even the year after, guess what the CAVS were the favorites to win the title and not the Warriors.

So how on earth do you get the Cavs are not expected to win the championship every year?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you were just scared then to take the bet? Let's say for sake of argument that Durant was 100% healthy right now and the Warriors were firing on cylinders. You still wouldn't back you team up after all the shit you've talked? You're so bold.
no- i can actually read an injury report and didnt have irrational fears like a scared little girl.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs were the title favorites the minute Lebron joined the Cavs. From literally every sports book. Even the year after, guess what the CAVS were the favorites to win the title and not the Warriors.

So how on earth do you get the Cavs are not expected to win the championship every year?
wtf? are you drunk?

who was the "favorite" coming into this year?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pop2:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i forgot just becuase you are the favorite that means you should win. The Warriors were the favorites in the Finals last year---- the Heat were favorites the year Dallas beat them--- OKC was a favorite over Miami in the Finals.

If you think just because a team is a favorite it means they will win you are a fucking idiot.

Jordan won 6 titles in 15 years.

Do I expect LEBron to win 6 titles if he is in Cleveland for 6 years? of course not- that would be insane.

Do I expect him to go deep into the playoffs each year and have a shot at winning it? of course.

LOL. Keep hitting me with the rainbows because you can't distinguish that favorite means most likely. Every year the Cavs don't win the championship should be a disappointment. As constructed the Warriors should feel the same way.

Only I'm not sitting here being a bitch about it. I'll man up and say if the Warriors don't win, it's a disappointment. While you sit there and make every excuse and hedge you can. You're just a bitch about it. It's not even questionable at this point.

You talk all this shit about your team and never back it up. You say how great your team is then back track and say "whoa, they shouldn't be expected to win". You're so full of shit and it's clear as day you're a front runner fan. Front runners are the ones who are there when they win and gone when they lose. So you make every excuse you can on why they should lose, all the while talking shit on why they will win. So either way at the end you can say I told you so. You're the worst kind of fan. You're worse than bandwagon fans who join in on the fun.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

guess you can keep HOPING that'll happen...

#declinecomingsoon:D

Status
Not open for further replies.