• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's where I'm agreeing. There's not too many players that fit their bill - but there are definitely some.

TT for example. Even though he's not a star... the dude is a valuable asset in the NBA and if his career could be extended by resting a few games a year - both he and his team should be thinking about that. If you really believe it extends a career.

What's your MPG limit for needing rest then as a starter?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was not a world championship in 2015 so I have no idea what you're talking about

Also last I checked, Love was not playing in the Olympics either.

Also Klay Thompson played in the Olympics. Same for Draymond. Somehow those guys are not resting frequently. I think they both had 1 game off this year due to rest.
well- whatever year the World Championship was that Kyrie Irving won the Tournament MVP---- the summer in between he was rehabbing from his serious knee injury

so Kyrie went from playing an NBA SEason- to the World Championships where he was the tourney MVP---- to an NBA season where he played till June before getting hurt--- to months of rehab--- to playing an NBA season till June--- to being the starting point guard on the Olympic team-- right into this NBA season where he will be playing till June.

uhhh yah.....I think you need to have a plan to make sure you do not over work a guy when he is playing that much basketball.

Popovich did it- and it works. Role players came and went- but the core of that team- was around forever and his deft handling of their workload was a significant part of their core playing at such a high level for such a long time.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suppose you are a season ticket holder for a contending team, paying thousands of dollars each season to support them.

Would you rather the team make rest decisions for away games based on the what the fans that are at that game would want --- or based on what you and your fellow season ticket holders would want?

I sympathize with these fans at these games - I really do... but doesn't the team owe more loyalty to their city and season ticket holders than they do to a handful of families showing up at an away game?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- when you are playing until June every year- and playing a 100 game season- instead of an 82 game season--- obviously that is a concern when you do it every single year.

now- if Kyrie Irving wasnt playing a ton of extra playoff games and Team USA games over the last few years- id be more skeptical resting him at the age of 24---- but when he is already playing LITERALLY dozens of more games then a normal player over a 3 year stretch- you need to do something to make up for that fact- and protect your investment in one of the best players in the game.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well- whatever year the World Championship was that Kyrie Irving won the Tournament MVP---- the summer in between he was rehabbing from his serious knee injury

so Kyrie went from playing an NBA SEason- to the World Championships where he was the tourney MVP---- to an NBA season where he played till June before getting hurt--- to months of rehab--- to playing an NBA season till June--- to being the starting point guard on the Olympic team-- right into this NBA season where he will be playing till June.

uhhh yah.....I think you need to have a plan to make sure you do not over work a guy when he is playing that much basketball.

Popovich did it- and it works. Role players came and went- but the core of that team- was around forever and his deft handling of their workload was a significant part of their core playing at such a high level for such a long time.

Pop didn't rest his guys nearly as much until they were in their mid 30's. You should really do some research. All he did was limit their MPG

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was the fickle year i believe, wasnt it? or no?

Yes........

IT STILL HAPPENED!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, the firing of Tressel may have been the best thing to happen to Ohio St. It landed you Meyer.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's your MPG limit for needing rest then as a starter?

I have no idea --- I assume the science models these teams are using crunch the data and make an attempt at answering this question.

If I had to take a guess, maybe 30-32?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suppose you are a season ticket holder for a contending team, paying thousands of dollars each season to support them.

Would you rather the team make rest decisions for away games based on the what the fans that are at that game would want --- or based on what you and your fellow season ticket holders would want?

I sympathize with these fans at these games - I really do... but doesn't the team owe more loyalty to their city and season ticket holders than they do to a handful of families showing up at an away game?

That's fine and all. If this keeps trending the way it has been as of lately, they will start playing in empty arenas. Fans not going to risk wasting they're money to see a d-league team.

And also do tou realize there are Cavs/Lebron James fans all over the country right. They don't just live in Cleveland so in a way you're still hurting your fans because you have those fans who only get to see their team once per year due to their location.

I know the feeling. For several years until the Nets moved to brooklyn, I always saved up money to visit MSG the one or two times that Miami came to town. Then when the Nets did the Brooklyn I did the same. Spend $200 & $300 on nosebleed seats just to see my team. Not everyone is rich like these players. We don't have time to waste hundreds of dollars to see players resting on the bench drinking coffee.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not only that----but i think there is a great argument i havent heard much of

i mean - the CLips are in a dog fight for playoff position--- as are the Griz--- the Heat are in a dogf ight just to make the playoffs

LeBron/Kyrie/Irving all were sat during those 3 games---- arent the fans of those teams happy that they go from having one of the toughest games on their schedule that they would be underdogs in- turn into almost assured wins? Taking one of the hardest games off your schedule and replacing it with one of the easiest?

you think if the Heat are a half game out of a playoff spot when the play the Cavs the 2nd last game of the season any heat fans will be bitching if LeBron IRving and Love sit that game out on the 2nd night of a back to back on the road?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop didn't rest his guys nearly as much until they were in their mid 30's. You should really do some research. All he did was limit their MPG
so what are you saying? there is no benefit to "resting" a 24 year old? (and Kyrie sitting against the Clippers wasnt strictly "rest" obviously- as he had just been pulled for a knee injury theg ame before).

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was Greg Anthony that made an interesting point about rest that I'd never heard.

He said - to him - there is a HUGE difference between rest that comes by limiting minutes (like the Warriors resting their starters in the 4th quarter) vs rest that comes from sitting out an entire game.

He said if you're in the lineup... you're going through the same routine the 24 hours before the game. Whether you play 1 minute or 48. You still go through all the same warmups, shoot arounds, preparing your body.

Whereas if you know you're out of the lineup... the whole routine changes and you can actually rest your body and your mind for those 24 hours or whatever it is.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what are you saying? there is no benefit to "resting" a 24 year old? (and Kyrie sitting against the Clippers wasnt strictly "rest" obviously- as he had just been pulled for a knee injury theg ame before).

STILL trying to justify all o' LeClown's rest, huh...?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine and all. If this keeps trending the way it has been as of lately, they will start playing in empty arenas. Fans not going to risk wasting they're money to see a d-league team.

And also do tou realize there are Cavs/Lebron James fans all over the country right. They don't just live in Cleveland so in a way you're still hurting your fans because you have those fans who only get to see their team once per year due to their location.

Definitely. I'm one of those fans. I went to the only Cavs @ Mavs game of the year (a b2b for the Cavs) and I was very concerned about the Cavs potentially resting.

I get it. I'm not saying those fans don't deserve being paid attention to or that the league and the players shouldn't care about them or try to find a way to avoid this situation.

I'm just saying its not as simple as just playing for them... when you have an even larger number of your loyal fans wanting the opposite thing from you. Its tough.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone on here said the Heat were a fluke.
They've got one of the 3 best coaches in the league, Whiteside might be my favourite big in the league, they get great bench scoring from them Johnson boys.

They're no contender but if they avoid Cleveland in the first round I won't put it past them making a run to the Eastern final.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying its not as simple as just playing for them... when you have an even larger number of your loyal fans wanting the opposite thing from you. Its tough.

So you wanted the big 3 to rest before it was announced on Saturday? If I asked you on Friday night if you wanted to see those 3 rest for the game on Saturday then your answer would have been yes?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about you guys but back when the Heat were competing for titles, I did not care about the big 3 resting until April. I was not expecting them to rest in January, February, March.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this the more I really think the market will take care of this problem--- and maybe even already has to some extent.

Right now - to secure an away game for a top team in the league - you have to pay more than the face value of the ticket. As a LeBron fan who has spent the last decade living in many NBA cities other than Cleveland, I can say this with confidence.

Unless you are a season ticket holder or are on-the-ball and purchase the ticket way in advance... you're paying more than face value to get your hands on that ticket.

So the league dropping the price wouldn't help anything. It would just increase the margins for the season-ticket-holders that sell their hot tickets.

The cheapest ticket I've ever purchased to see LeBron play was this one @ the Mavs?? Why?? because it was an away game on a b2b and everyone thought LeBron wouldn't play. I got a screaming deal. I think the market is taking care of the problem.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you wanted the big 3 to rest before it was announced on Saturday? If I asked you on Friday night if you wanted to see those 3 rest for the game on Saturday then your answer would have been yes?
I never WANT them to rest--- no one- not even the team WANTS them to rest---- they rest them when they analytics show an increased risk of injury due to fatigue or other injuries.

I mean- teams arent just resting guys out of the blue for no reason just to rest to them. There is a science and data behind it. The risk of injury is substantially higher when you are playing when you are tired/fatigued/have other nagging injuries that you might be compensating before.

Status
Not open for further replies.