• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure he currently does.
Not that rankings mean anything, but as of now Canes are rated 1 by some for class of '18.
I actually loved it when both teams were great.
Best games ever.
truly the best game ever was the 2003 Fiesta Bowl/National Championship game heheheheh ;)

THE Ohio State Buckeyes under the direction of the Vest pulled off true greatness. What a game. They play REAL football in Ohio.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best thing about the Ibaka/Lopez fight is that it should lead to a one game suspension for throwing a punch which should mean no Ibaka tomorrow.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best thing about the Ibaka/Lopez fight is that it should lead to a one game suspension for throwing a punch which should mean no Ibaka tomorrow.
Raptors played better after he was ejected. Patterson was everywhere after that.

Also, firing Carroll into the sun and giving Tucker 35 minutes a game would help too. Dude was fired the fuck up!

This being said, the Raptors really, really need to win this game. Who knows how the East is gonna finish but the Heat are the one team below the Raptors right now I don't want to see in the first round.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron making some GREAT points:

With the topic of NBA players sitting out games for rest in the public spotlight after league commissioner Adam Silver issued a memo to all 30 teams about the problem, Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James says that all rest is not created equal.

More to the point, James said that when he sits out a game -- as he did, along with Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, in the Cavs' 108-78 loss to the LA Clippers over the weekend -- it is viewed differently than when just about any other player in the NBA does the same.

"I just know the conversation gets a little bit more talked about when I'm a part of it," James said before the Cavs practiced Tuesday on UCLA's campus. "If it's somebody else, it gets blown up a briefly, it gets talked about a little bit, but it doesn't have legs and it's gone. But as soon as I'm involved it's just a whole different situation."

When Cavs coach Tyronn Lue was asked whether James' actions are judged differently, he responded, "You know that."

While taking shots on the court before practice started, James wondered aloud whether anybody would mind him sitting if he were averaging only 16 points per game this season instead.

Supporting James' position is the fact that Silver was compelled to reach out to teams after James and his teammates sat out, calling the decision "an extremely significant issue for our league" and threatening "significant penalties" in the future if the practice is continued, as first reported by ESPN's Ramona Shelburne, but failed to do so the week before when back-to-back MVP Stephen Curry and his Golden State Warriors teammates Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala were all held out of Golden State's prime-time Saturday night game against the San Antonio Spurs on ABC.

On Tuesday, Popovich said he understands the league's perspective but seems content to continue resting his players as he sees fit.

"I would do the same thing if I was in [Silver's] shoes. But I think that just because we're coaches and GMs doesn't mean we don't understand or know what's going on with the business side," Popovich said.

"We have definitely added years to people. So it's a trade-off," the Spurs coach explained. "You want to see this guy in this one game? Or do you want to see him for three more years in his career? And do you want to see him in the playoffs because he didn't get hurt because maybe he got rest and he was playing so much."

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow...thats pretty fucked up. What city do you live in?

Dallas area - were I work is actually a really nice part of town, though, its crazy. Right next to a Ferrari dealership.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We have definitely added years to people. So it's a trade-off," the Spurs coach explained. "You want to see this guy in this one game? Or do you want to see him for three more years in his career? And do you want to see him in the playoffs because he didn't get hurt because maybe he got rest and he was playing so much."

Tim Legler made a great point regarding this today on Mike and Mike. I could not agree more. So coaches only care about extending the career of their superstars but don't care about the other guys on the team?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insurance covering it? My fiance's car got stolen a while back....she didn't have full coverage. Luckily it was only a 2000 Honda Civic (shocker).

Nope, didn't have comprehensive on it. Luckily its the older of our 2 cars and we paid it off years ago. Probably not worth more than a few grand.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
truly the best game ever was the 2003 Fiesta Bowl/National Championship game heheheheh ;)

THE Ohio State Buckeyes under the direction of the Vest pulled off true greatness. What a game. They play REAL football in Ohio.

Although true, the last game you guys played the Canes was when we had Al Golden....and lost. That's pretty bad.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Legler made a great point regarding this today on Mike and Mike. I could not agree more. So coaches only care about extending the career of their superstars but don't care about the other guys on the team?

oh great point legler...i mean the Cavs are probably just as concerned about extending Iman Shumpert's career as they are extending LeBron James' career. lol.

and YES- did you ever see Popovich sitting out Tiago Splitter or Patty Mills? of course not- A. they dont care if that guy gets 3 more years of high level play- and B. those guys dont ply NeARLY the minutes, and have nearly the load of a LeBron JAmes.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree - if we're talking about players who play as many minutes as the stars. The bench players playing 18 minutes a game don't need any more rest than their already getting.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I question the science on this one. Kobe was supposedly ran into the ground. He happened to play 20 years in the NBA. Was he supposed to play 25-30 years?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh great point legler...i mean the Cavs are probably just as concerned about extending Iman Shumpert's career as they are extending LeBron James' career. lol.

and YES- did you ever see Popovich sitting out Tiago Splitter or Patty Mills? of course not- A. they dont care if that guy gets 3 more years of high level play- and B. those guys dont ply NeARLY the minutes, and have nearly the load of a LeBron JAmes.

So the coaches only care about extending the career of their top players? You don't realize how fucked up that sounds. So the science only applies to the stars so rest wouldn't help extend role players careers?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - if we're talking about players who play as many minutes as the stars. The bench players playing 18 minutes a game don't need any more rest than their already getting.

What about other starters who avg 30+ MPG? Do they not deserve rest because they're not a star?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors played better after he was ejected. Patterson was everywhere after that.

Also, firing Carroll into the sun and giving Tucker 35 minutes a game would help too. Dude was fired the fuck up!

This being said, the Raptors really, really need to win this game. Who knows how the East is gonna finish but the Heat are the one team below the Raptors right now I don't want to see in the first round.

Someone on here said the Heat were a fluke.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the coaches only care about extending the career of their top players? You don't realize how fucked up that sounds. So the science only applies to the stars so rest wouldn't help extend role players careers?
absolutely 100%.

Also- i mean- its not like Iman Shumpert was playing the last 2 summers- like Kyrie Irving who gave up his summers of rest to go win a World Championship and an Olympic championship----

plus- those guys dont have nearly the workload a star has. You dont see Shumpert playing 35 minutes a night every night.

I mean- its common sense. You protect your most valuable assets- especially when they are the ones being worked the hardest.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about other starters who avg 30+ MPG? Do they not deserve rest because they're not a star?

Yeah, that's where I'm agreeing. There's not too many players that fit their bill - but there are definitely some.

TT for example. Even though he's not a star... the dude is a valuable asset in the NBA and if his career could be extended by resting a few games a year - both he and his team should be thinking about that. If you really believe it extends a career.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely 100%.

Also- i mean- its not like Iman Shumpert was playing the last 2 summers- like Kyrie Irving who gave up his summers of rest to go win a World Championship and an Olympic championship----

plus- those guys dont have nearly the workload a star has. You dont see Shumpert playing 35 minutes a night every night.

I mean- its common sense. You protect your most valuable assets- especially when they are the ones being worked the hardest.

There was not a world championship in 2015 so I have no idea what you're talking about

Also last I checked, Love was not playing in the Olympics either.

Also Klay Thompson played in the Olympics. Same for Draymond. Somehow those guys are not resting frequently. I think they both had 1 game off this year due to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.