• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it comes to pass, as frustrating as Sandoval can be, I'll be sad to see him go via free agency. It will be strange to see a home-grown Giants guy, who has meant so much to this team, in another uniform.

:agree:

I feel the same about Brian Wilson. He and Timmy and Panda were my favorites of this era. Now it'll be Pence and Bum. I hope they find a way to keep Panda.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance in hell the Giants sign Cruz. PEDs users need not apply.

I am not opposed to Santana.

Romo is an unfortunate casualty. He will move on because we have too many arms coming up, and the Giants know haw to dumpster dive. Serg, you will be missed.

Morse makes no sense for the Giants. He is a 1B/DH. The Giants don't need that in '15.

Peavy, I think, pitched his way off the team in the post season. If you can't pitch in the post season, we don't need you. Thanks for the help this year. You earned your ring. Enjoy your time in St Louis.

Vogey may be back as our 4/5. I am OK with that, as long as it is a 1 year deal.

There will be trades. EA still has decent value. I would be shocked if were non-tendered. He should be in a package for a SP, though.

I was thinking the same thing. I thinks its possible that Morse could stay just because they don't have anyone unless Perez begins to blossom. I believe they will keep Petit though and I expect him to be a stalwart in next year's rotation.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel the same about Brian Wilson. He and Timmy and Panda were my favorites of this era. Now it'll be Pence and Bum. I hope they find a way to keep Panda.

I'm not really a player guy anymore, I'm a team guy now. Too many guys come and go so frequently. But I sure do love Pence. Give me 8 Hunter Pence's and I'll win the World Series every year.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really a player guy anymore, I'm a team guy now. Too many guys come and go so frequently. But I sure do love Pence. Give me 8 Hunter Pence's and I'll win the World Series every year.

Hunter at short? Catching? Plus righty starters would shut you down... :heh:

So you're a Seinfeld-style fan now? Rooting for laundry...

So are most of us. But I definitely like certain players more than others. If/when we lose Romo, or Vogelsong, or even Crawford, I won't be that bothered by it (if it makes sense). But I loved Wilson, and I love Panda and Timmy.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter at short? Catching? Plus righty starters would shut you down... :heh:

So you're a Seinfeld-style fan now? Rooting for laundry...

So are most of us. But I definitely like certain players more than others. If/when we lose Romo, or Vogelsong, or even Crawford, I won't be that bothered by it (if it makes sense). But I loved Wilson, and I love Panda and Timmy.

Ha ha! I would love to see Hunter Pence catching or playing short. I'd love to listen to the pre-game motivational speeches as well.

Speaking of that, did anyone notice the Sandoval-Pence huddle in the dugout just prior to the game?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! I would love to see Hunter Pence catching or playing short. I'd love to listen to the pre-game motivational speeches as well.

Speaking of that, did anyone notice the Sandoval-Pence huddle in the dugout just prior to the game?

Panda did that with a bunch of guys. I hope it wasn't his good-bye speeches.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean really has his work cut out for him...the last 2 WS winning years we basically 'stood pat', and missed the playoffs both times (2011 not his fault). This time we have way more players who are FAs or question marks.

Honestly, though they'd never say it, I don't think they will be reloading to win in 2015. That would be nice of course but I think they will use 2015 as a transition year, waiting for Scutaro and Timmy and Hudson to come off the books and really make a push in 2016.

So sure, 1 year deal for Vogey, etc. I'm pretty confident they won't be contending next year. Not shatting, we just won the WS for pete's sake, and yes anything can happen, but we all know how surprising this year was after our summer meltdown. It's ridiculously hard to repeat.

Now, if Panik is an allstar and Cain comes back strong and Pagan stays healthy...maybe we make some noise. A lot of ifs.

The big questions are obviously Panda and Posey, and they are dependent. Even if not trying for 2015 you can sign Panda for the 2016+ run. The money should be there if they are forward looking (Timmy and Scoots off books soon, stadium paid off soon). But where do you put Posey? Anyone can see how gassed he was in the playoffs, he could barely celebrate last night. I think the time has come that he can't be an every day catcher. But we have Belt of course...do we sit Belt vs lefties? Seems like a bad idea. Move Belt to LF vs lefties and a few other days, have Posey catch 60% of the time?

Sabean earns his shekels, that's for sure.

It'll be a fun offseason as we will surely make some moves.

I'm pretty sure The Susser will factor in to next season in a significant way. More rest for Buster, and perhaps more LF for BB9

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Panda is the point guy for the Mardi Gras / Halloween / masquerade party atmosphere of the crowd. Hell, the Panda bubbleheads even went to KC. (I would LOVE to know how they got their bubbleheads to KC in one piece, unless they had another set made in KC, which is feasible.)

Unless some in the crowd dressed like Mad Bums, like the Mad Hatter. But that's not as identifiable, nor is it every day.

Not saying he's irreplaceable in that sense, but it would suck.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking it was.

Per the announcers, and from Panda's post-game interview, he was telling everyone to play game 7 like it was the last game of your life. So it could be argued that it was BOTH motivational AND good-bye.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a team that just won the WS, we sure will have a lot of holes and needs next year. Imagine what other teams are saying about themselves...

SP is Bum, maybe Petit, Cain if healthy, and no one else I would want to hand the ball to in a critical game. Do we re-sign Peavy? Unless he was hurt in the WS, I say no. Vogey? No better than Peavy/Huddy in the WS, but at least he's half the price.

Did Panda just play himself into a long-term contract to re-sign here?

Buster needs to catch less. Panda is likely gone. I've been advocating for Buster at 3B, but...

We probably need two OF's. We have Pence and no one else reliable and of championship caliber. Can Belt move to LF? I like his glove and lefthandedness at 1B. But if Belt moves to LF, Buster is the logical choice for 1B.

Is Travis Ishikawa really a viable alternative in LF long-term? I still think he's better than we think if he gets regular PT. Platoon him with JCP until a minor-leaguer emerges (Carbonell, Williamson, other)?

Tons of questions here and there are tons more. And the unanswerable critical question as always is: What is the budget?

Last edited by a moderator:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a team that just won the WS, we sure will have a lot of holes and needs next year. Imagine what other teams are saying about themselves...

SP is Bum, maybe Petit, Cain if healthy, and no one else I would want to hand the ball to in a critical game. Do we re-sign Peavy? Unless he was hurt in the WS, I say no. Vogey? No better than Peavy/Huddy in the WS, but at least he's half the price.

Did Panda just play himself into a long-term contract to re-sign here?

Buster needs to catch less. Panda is likely gone. I've been advocating for Buster at 3B, but...

We probably need two OF's. We have Pence and no one else reliable and of championship caliber. Can Belt move to LF? I like his glove and lefthandedness at 1B. But if Belt moves to LF, Buster is the logical choice for 1B.

Is Travis Ishikawa really a viable alternative in LF long-term? I still think he's better than we think if he gets regular PT. Platoon him with JCP until a minor-leaguer emerges (Carbonell, Williamson, other)?

Tons of questions here and there are tons more. And the unanswerable critical question as always is: What is the budget?

I'm not too worried about the rotation. With those three you mentioned, Lincecum and Hudson would make acceptable 4 and 5 starters. I'm excited to see the young guys get into the regular playing rotation; I'm talking about Duffy, Susac, Panik and Duval. Along with Crawford, Belt, Posey and maybe Sandoval, that's a lot of young, homegrown talent. I've got hopes for Strickland as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably this weekend, I will update the "Current Roster" to the off-season format. Once I do that, I will have a better picture of the roster status of everyone.

Quickly, I am OK with handing the #5 spot to Petit, but I don't want to start him higher than that. I think he has a good chance of becoming a reliable 3+, though. I think we HAVE to count on at least one SP graduation this year. We have too many kids to not assume one will click. I am MILDLY concerned with the relief appearances for Blackburn and Crick, but I am reserving judgment until ST.

We need to get 2 OFer who are at least at the 4+ quality level. I am not sure Tomas is the answer. The numbers swirling around him are at super-star money, and I just do not see that as a good bet. There are a lot of rumors about Markakis. I know he was good a few years back, but I need to look at his numbers before I have an opinion on him.

Ishi will be back with the team as a ST invitee only. He was a minor star for us, and he filled in admirably where needed, but lets be realistic. He is a journeyman. He is a dime a dozen in the off-season.

Morse redeemed himself (at least with me) in the post-season. But the fact is, he is a DH/1B. His OF defense is a liability. It can be used in a pinch for an AL team, but he simply is not an NL player. Thanks for your time. You were a good Giant. Good luck in Seattle next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am correct, we have 8 Arb eligible...

Yusmeiro Petit (Arb 2)
JC Gutierrez (Arb 3)

Hector Sanchez (Arb 1)
Guillermo Quiroz (??)
Brandon Belt (Arb 1)
Brandon Crawford (Arb 1)

Travis Ishikawa (Arb 2)
Gregor Blanco (Arb 3)

Petit (845K), Craw (560K), Belt (2.9M) and Blanco (2.525M) are no-brainers.

Sanchez (512K), I think, is out of options. He is a tough decision. If we want to start Sussac in Sacto, then we can go with Hacktor, but I am not convinced that his career is not over. Cut throat, but he may be a non-tender candidate.

Gutierrez (850K), Ishikawa (??) and Quiroz (??) are no-brainer non-tenders.

Edit: Added 2014 salaries

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We currently have 31 on our 40 with 8 Arb eligible and 5 FAs.

After the 4 Arbs I expect the Giants to pursue, We should be at 35. I have no idea who will need to be added to the 40 to avoid the Rule V, but we have a few DFA candidates (Heston, Kickham, Cordier?, Kontos?).

We will need to add a few MLB-ready FAs. I figure we need 2 SPs and 2 OFers at the minimum. That leaves only 1 spot (pre-DFAs) for 40-adds.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We currently have 31 on our 40 with 8 Arb eligible and 5 FAs.

After the 4 Arbs I expect the Giants to pursue, We should be at 35. I have no idea who will need to be added to the 40 to avoid the Rule V, but we have a few DFA candidates (Heston, Kickham, Cordier?, Kontos?).

We will need to add a few MLB-ready FAs. I figure we need 2 SPs and 2 OFers at the minimum. That leaves only 1 spot (pre-DFAs) for 40-adds.

Wow! You are on this. Your last couple of posts indicate you've put a lot of thought into it. My only input is I think we will stand pat with the rotation we have. Bumgarner, Cain, Petit, Lincecum and Hudson. I think we can win with those guys. I'm expecting more from Petit than you are.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF Giants Payroll 2015

Budget assumptions: For 2015 payroll, in rough terms, start with 2014. BBRef has us at $166.6mm, which needs to be adjusted for Peavy. BBRef has us at $14.5 - $3.0 or $11.5 net. We only net paid Peavy $2mm, per MLBTR. So subtract $11.5 - 2.0 = 9.5 from $166.6, and we are at an adjusted $157mm for 2014. Add 7% for FO payroll expansion, about $11mm, and we are at $168mm for 2015. Nothing new here, just reasonable estimation on my part, IMO. We may go a few million higher because of WSC III.

Starting Pitchers (5)
Timmy $18.0 fixed
Cain $20.0 fixed
Hudson $12.0 fixed
Vogey $6.0 fixed FA
Bum $6.75 fixed

# Starters Subtotal $62.75

Bullpen (7)
Lopez $4.0 fixed
Affeldt $6.0 fixed
Casilla $5.0 fixed
Machi $0.5 Pre-Arb-2
Strickland $0.5
Petit $2.5 Arb-2
1 other $0.5

# Bullpen Subtotal $19.0

C/IF (8)
Buster $16.5 fixed
HSan $1.0 Arb-1
Susac $0.5 Pre-Arb
Belt $4.5 Arb-2
Panik $0.5 Pre-Arb
Craw $2.0 Arb-1
Arias $1.45 fixed
Emilio Bonifacio 4.0 FA

# C/IF Subtotal $30.45

OF (5)
Pagan $10.25 fixed
Pence $18.5 fixed
Blanco $3.5 Arb-2
Colby Rasmus $10.0 FA
Other $0.5 Pre-Arb (Williamson/Perez/Brown/Carbonell)

# OF Subtotal $42.75

Off roster: Scutaro $6.7 fixed

Prelim Total $161.65 (25 players + Scoots)
This leaves us appx $8mm-$12mm to sign another SP or OF if needed.