• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs would NEVER move Kris Bryant. Not even if we had a strong farm system to offer them.

I'd explore the following players in FAL

Noricha Aoki
Colby Rasmus
Alex Rios
Emilio Bonifaco
Jonny Gomes (hits well vs. LHP)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TK, no offense, but anyone recommending that Arias get DFA'd is just knee-jerking. Arias has historically been a solid util player and only had 1/2 of a bad season. Even if we were to KNOW that his bat was what he showed in the first half of '14, he would still have a spot on this roster because of his defense. He plays all 4 infield positions at a ++ level. The fact that the first half of the year was just an aberration (proven by his career number preceding and his second half numbers in '14) just further makes the chances of his DFA that much more laughable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs would NEVER move Kris Bryant. Not even if we had a strong farm system to offer them.

Noricha Aoki
Colby Rasmus
Alex Rios
Emilio Bonifaco

Yes, please...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Noricha Aoki
Colby Rasmus
Alex Rios
Emilio Bonifaco

Aoki - 32 YO, declining OPS (.787, .726, .710), bad dWAR (-1.3). Neh.
Rasmus - 28 YO, better OPS (.689, .840, .735), better dWAR. A little skittish that his 2013 year was an outlier on the high side. May still have some upside. Plays CF, which we will need more of. I would understand this.
Rios - 33 YO and all his numbers are trending down fast. Neh.
Elboni - .650 OPS, some speed, decent defense, some versatility. I don't see him moving the needle. But we may need another 3B. Maybe.
Gomes - 33 YO, numbers declining across the board. I'd rather play Carbonell or Williamson if they're anywhere near ready. Neh.

All IMHO of course.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco Giants Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors

No surprise - Giants named among top tier of those interested in Tomas.

"Though it’s early in the process, the market for Yasmany Tomas is beginning to develop, tweets MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez. To this point, the Rangers, Phillies, Padres, Giants, Mariners and Dodgers have all shown strong interest in the young slugger. Most of those clubs are logical fits, though the Dodgers are a bit surprising given the logjam of outfielders the team already has under contract. The Dodgers are already unable to find regular at-bats for Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Carl Crawford, Yasiel Puig, Joc Pederson and Scott Van Slyke, so adding another outfielder to the mix would make a semi-surprising addition."

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another question for the august compendium here:

If the Dodgers sign Tomas, and decide to make one of their current high-profile OF's expendable, would we be interested? Assume that the Dodgers would pick up most of the salary.

Bonus question: Would we trade Timmy for Kemp, or Crawford, straight up, no cash considerations?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another question for the august compendium here:

If the Dodgers sign Tomas, and decide to make one of their current high-profile OF's expendable, would we be interested? Assume that the Dodgers would pick up most of the salary.

Bonus question: Would we trade Timmy for Kemp, or Crawford, straight up, no cash considerations?

If the doggies were to send one their OFers for next to nothing, AND eat 3/4th of the contract, of the Giants would jump. The prob is, so would most other teams, so there is no chance the Giants would get the player offered.

As for the bonus question, of course I would make that trade. Kemp has made a HUGE resurgence and is a solid, legit starting OF now. Even Crawford would easily start with us. My only question (which I could look up, and probably will after this post) is what are their contracts? I don't think either has too much time left, do they?

The OFers in question are...

Puig - not available
Kemp - may have put himself back on the "stud" list this past season.
Crawford - had a solid year, but the years are adding up
Ethier - could start on most MLB teams, but is not a star.
Van Slyke - younger, but I don't know much about him, other than the fact that they like him
Pederson (sp?) - their stud prospect. He is not available.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the doggies were to send one their OFers for next to nothing, AND eat 3/4th of the contract, of the Giants would jump. The prob is, so would most other teams, so there is no chance the Giants would get the player offered.

As for the bonus question, of course I would make that trade. Kemp has made a HUGE resurgence and is a solid, legit starting OF now. Even Crawford would easily start with us. My only question (which I could look up, and probably will after this post) is what are their contracts? I don't think either has too much time left, do they?

The OFers in question are...

Puig - not available
Kemp - may have put himself back on the "stud" list this past season.
Crawford - had a solid year, but the years are adding up
Ethier - could start on most MLB teams, but is not a star.
Van Slyke - younger, but I don't know much about him, other than the fact that they like him
Pederson (sp?) - their stud prospect. He is not available.

That is the rub:

2014 Los Angeles Dodgers Current and Future Payrolls | Baseball-Reference.com

Crawford has 3 years left at $20+mm per.
Kemp has 5 years left at $21.5 mm per.

Timmy, of course, has only 1 year left at $18mm.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be diving into this thread after the parade. Actually, after the weekend. Have the Stanford-Oregon game on Saturday to go to, and I'm going to the Warriors-Blazers game on Sunday. And I'll be celebrating hard all weekend long for the Giants.

Some real quick thoughts: Pablo is coming back, Giants open check books for somebody (second tier SP? Thomas?), dumpster dives are in full force.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very hesitant on a big contract for Panda. Not worried about the $$ as much as the years. A long contract will kill his motivation.

After watching Aoki this past week, I amend my earlier post. No thanks. He was a meltdown waiting to happen.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting FA options next year, I figure we'll be looking at SP and OF:

SP -- we won't be in on Scherzer or Lester.
1. Big Game James 5/90
2. Ervin Santana 3/39
3. Francisco Liriano 3/36
4. Mike McCarthy 3/36
5. Jason Hammel 3/27
6. Peaved 2/24
7. Tron 1/7

OF: a thin crop this year
1. Nelson Cruz 3/45
2. Nick Markakis 3/33
3. Beast 1/7

I'd take Santana and Cruz, and re-sign Romo (2/12) and Panda (5/80)

2015 Lineup: Oxy/Panik/Buster/Cruz/Panda/Herk/BB9/Stamos
2015 Bench: Suss/Kobe/Duffman/Shark/Carbonell
2015 Rotation: MVP/Horse/Huddy/Santana/Timmah
2015 Bullpen: KCya/Romo/JA/JLo/Machi/Biggie/Strick

Payroll would be about 192MM...quite a jump, but I could see them doing it with the stadium paid off in two years.

In 2016, we'd have Timmah, Scoots, Huddy, JA, Kobe off the books for about 44MM. Scoots is deadweight. Timmah and Huddy would be replaced by Crick/Beede/Mejia/Mella/Blach/Blackburn, JA by Strick/Law/Okert. Kobe by Arroyo/Jones for a total savings of 42MM, 2016 payroll: 150MM

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more quick thought, think there is any chance Huddy retires after this? Not that I WANT him to, but he looked worn down though as the season rolled, and he got his ring. His money could really be useful coming up.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more quick thought, think there is any chance Huddy retires after this? Not that I WANT him to, but he looked worn down though as the season rolled, and he got his ring. His money could really be useful coming up.

IMO zero chance. He's got 12 million reasons to pitch next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance in hell the Giants sign Cruz. PEDs users need not apply.

I am not opposed to Santana.

Romo is an unfortunate casualty. He will move on because we have too many arms coming up, and the Giants know haw to dumpster dive. Serg, you will be missed.

Morse makes no sense for the Giants. He is a 1B/DH. The Giants don't need that in '15.

Peavy, I think, pitched his way off the team in the post season. If you can't pitch in the post season, we don't need you. Thanks for the help this year. You earned your ring. Enjoy your time in St Louis.

Vogey may be back as our 4/5. I am OK with that, as long as it is a 1 year deal.

There will be trades. EA still has decent value. I would be shocked if were non-tendered. He should be in a package for a SP, though.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Big Game James 5/90
2. Ervin Santana 3/39
4. Mike McCarthy 3/36
5. Jason Hammel 3/27
6. Peaved 2/24
7. Tron 1/7

1. Nelson Cruz 3/45
2. Nick Markakis 3/33
3. Beast 1/7

Payroll would be about 192MM...quite a jump, but I could see them doing it with the stadium paid off in two years.

In 2016, we'd have Timmah, Scoots, Huddy, JA, Kobe off the books for about 44MM. Scoots is deadweight. Timmah and Huddy would be replaced by Crick/Beede/Mejia/Mella/Blach/Blackburn, JA by Strick/Law/Okert. Kobe by Arroyo/Jones for a total savings of 42MM, 2016 payroll: 150MM

Personally, I'm pretty happy with Bochy. Though hiring the Green Bay Packers coach would be quite interesting

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Big Game James 5/90
2. Ervin Santana 3/39
4. Mike McCarthy 3/36
5. Jason Hammel 3/27
6. Peaved 2/24
7. Tron 1/7

1. Nelson Cruz 3/45
2. Nick Markakis 3/33
3. Beast 1/7

On a serious note, I'll have to dig up the link later. When it was announced Orioles weren't picking up Markakis option, was said SF would be very interested in him

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it comes to pass, as frustrating as Sandoval can be, I'll be sad to see him go via free agency. It will be strange to see a home-grown Giants guy, who has meant so much to this team, in another uniform.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean really has his work cut out for him...the last 2 WS winning years we basically 'stood pat', and missed the playoffs both times (2011 not his fault). This time we have way more players who are FAs or question marks.

Honestly, though they'd never say it, I don't think they will be reloading to win in 2015. That would be nice of course but I think they will use 2015 as a transition year, waiting for Scutaro and Timmy and Hudson to come off the books and really make a push in 2016.

So sure, 1 year deal for Vogey, etc. I'm pretty confident they won't be contending next year. Not shatting, we just won the WS for pete's sake, and yes anything can happen, but we all know how surprising this year was after our summer meltdown. It's ridiculously hard to repeat.

Now, if Panik is an allstar and Cain comes back strong and Pagan stays healthy...maybe we make some noise. A lot of ifs.

The big questions are obviously Panda and Posey, and they are dependent. Even if not trying for 2015 you can sign Panda for the 2016+ run. The money should be there if they are forward looking (Timmy and Scoots off books soon, stadium paid off soon). But where do you put Posey? Anyone can see how gassed he was in the playoffs, he could barely celebrate last night. I think the time has come that he can't be an every day catcher. But we have Belt of course...do we sit Belt vs lefties? Seems like a bad idea. Move Belt to LF vs lefties and a few other days, have Posey catch 60% of the time?

Sabean earns his shekels, that's for sure.

It'll be a fun offseason as we will surely make some moves.