• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure how many Nate will have around the league. He is right back into his journeyman-4th OF rep. When you have that tag, you can't really afford to have animosity towards any team.

That said, I think if the Giants were to offer him the exact $$ and opportunity as another team, he would probably go with the other team. He and Bochy did not exactly see eye to eye.

I think he fits as a GREAT 4 option for us. I just don't see it happening. Frandsen will come back sooner than Nate.

This. It's unfortunate, because I think he'd be a MUCH better solution in LF than Ishi, Beast, JCP or Blanco.

Dude can hit.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This almost certainly will NOT happen.....but:

Can you imagine the fervor the return of the Melkmen and the Melkmaids would engender?

tumblr_m5c5wg07nN1ru5ngco3_1280.jpg

Also, I could bust out my Got Melky? T-Shirt...so there's THAT.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I could bust out my Got Melky? T-Shirt...so there's THAT.

Saving you $15 on a tshirt is worth at least $12M to the org.

GET IT DONE SABEY SABES!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure how many Nate will have around the league. He is right back into his journeyman-4th OF rep. When you have that tag, you can't really afford to have animosity towards any team.

That said, I think if the Giants were to offer him the exact $$ and opportunity as another team, he would probably go with the other team. He and Bochy did not exactly see eye to eye.

I think he fits as a GREAT 4 option for us. I just don't see it happening. Frandsen will come back sooner than Nate.

Well, time can heal most wounds. I hope that Bochy is professional enough and, certainly now, self-confident enough, to start fresh with someone, esp if he needs him. Hope Nate could be, too. Of course, I have no idea of the nature or depth of any difference there might be. It may indeed be irreconcilable.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. It's unfortunate, because I think he'd be a MUCH better solution in LF than Ishi, Beast, JCP or Blanco.

Dude can hit.

Precisely.

Although, minor question, if Nate and Pants were in the game at the same time, would we not play Nate in RF, and move Pants to left. Or is that too disruptive to Pants?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precisely.

Although, minor question, if Nate and Pants were in the game at the same time, would we not play Nate in RF, and move Pants to left. Or is that too disruptive to Pants?

Given how His Bochitude stuck with Oxy in CF even when we had a Blanco/JCP/Oxy OF, I can't see him moving a stud vet off his position. Besides, Herk is faster than Nate (although not nearly the arm).

And Nate is plenty fast. Now, BRING ME MELKY.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, time can heal most wounds. I hope that Bochy is professional enough and, certainly now, self-confident enough, to start fresh with someone, esp if he needs him. Hope Nate could be, too. Of course, I have no idea of the nature or depth of any difference there might be. It may indeed be irreconcilable.

I don't think the Giants really need to bend too much for Nate. He would be a late off season add anyway. Not a key add.

On a more "person"al level, I hope Nate at some point makes peace with time with the org. I hate to see lifelong Giants fall from grace the way Frandsen did.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but it is interesting that the luxury tax number is going to start to come into play for us -- if not in 2015 then in 2016. Which seems intuitively correct to me.

Yeah, wow. The cap hasn't moved much lately (now $189mm), and we indeed are not far from it. I would guess our FO would not want to exceed that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how His Bochitude stuck with Oxy in CF even when we had a Blanco/JCP/Oxy OF, I can't see him moving a stud vet off his position. Besides, Herk is faster than Nate (although not nearly the arm).

And Nate is plenty fast. Now, BRING ME MELKY.

Overall defensively, I am not sure who I like better in RF at ATT. Nate proved he was exceptional there in the past. However, consistency is a real issue, and as you stated, Boch has shown in the past that he places a high priority on it. Therefore, I would guess that Nate would be the one to shift.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF Giants Payroll 2015 - includes Panda and Cabrera

I shaved a little off Panda and Cabrera's 2015 salary because we have so much rolling off in 2016 - we can structure the contracts to fit that (I hope).

Budget assumptions: For 2015 payroll, in rough terms, start with 2014. BBRef has us at $166.6mm, which needs to be adjusted for Peavy. BBRef has us at $14.5 - $3.0 or $11.5 net. We only net paid Peavy $2mm, per MLBTR. So subtract $11.5 - 2.0 = 9.5 from $166.6, and we are at an adjusted $157mm for 2014. Add 7% for FO payroll expansion, about $11mm, and we are at $168mm for 2015. Nothing new here, just reasonable estimation on my part, IMO. We may go a few million higher because of WSC III.

Starting Pitchers (5)
Timmy $18.0 fixed
Cain $20.0 fixed
Hudson $12.0 fixed
Vogey $6.0 fixed FA
Bum $6.75 fixed

# Starters Subtotal $62.75

Bullpen (7)
Lopez $4.0 fixed
Affeldt $6.0 fixed
Casilla $5.0 fixed
Machi $0.5 Pre-Arb-2
Strickland $0.5
Petit $3.0 Arb-2
1 other $0.5

# Bullpen Subtotal $19.5

C/IF (8)
Buster $16.5 fixed
HSan $1.0 Arb-1
Susac $0.5 Pre-Arb
Belt $4.5 Arb-2
Panik $0.5 Pre-Arb
Craw $3.0 Arb-1
Arias $1.45 fixed
Panda $16.0 FA

# C/IF Subtotal $43.45

OF (5)
Pagan $10.25 fixed
Pence $18.5 fixed
Blanco $3.5 Arb-2
Melky Cabrera $12.0 FA
Other $0.5 Pre-Arb (Williamson/Perez/Brown/Carbonell)

# OF Subtotal $44.75

Off roster: Scutaro $6.7 fixed

Prelim Total $177.15 (25 players + Scoots)

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the coast clear enough for us to consider signing Melky Cabrera back as a FA OF?

PED's aside, he sure would look good for us in LF.

MLBTR thinks it would take 5/66 to do it. Yikes. I might consider 3/40.

Free Agent Profile: Melky Cabrera ? MLB Trade Rumors

Melky would be better than anybody we currently have to play LF, but I don't think the org will go there. They are VERY much trying to stay away from steroids scandal moving forward.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we in agreement that Hacktor gets non-tendered?

He is a solid backup catcher. But we are feeling a bit of a 40 crunch, and concussion problems are pretty severe, so he MAY never play again. Also, Susac has emerged as a ++ backup.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a solid backup catcher. But we are feeling a bit of a 40 crunch, and concussion problems are pretty severe, so he MAY never play again. Also, Susac has emerged as a ++ backup.
What is Posey's exit strategy as a catcher?

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Might be slightly OT, but what do you guys think about Timmy's supposed dependency on Hector? Keep in mind, I don't know the intricacies of the pitcher-catcher relationship and I'm not saying Posey is the reason for Timmy's bad performances (he's not). But it's been something that's intriguied me for awhile now. It would be interesting if Timmy somehow pitched decent with Susac in 2015.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be slightly OT, but what do you guys think about Timmy's supposed dependency on Hector? Keep in mind, I don't know the intricacies of the pitcher-catcher relationship and I'm not saying Posey is the reason for Timmy's bad performances (he's not). But it's been something that's intriguied me for awhile now. It would be interesting if Timmy somehow pitched decent with Susac in 2015.

Not off topic at all.

This is a very good question.

I see 3 possible solutions...

1) Hacktor is non-tendered and Susac is the backup catcher.

2) Hacktor is tendered and Susac starts the season in Sacto (or Hacktor starts on the DL).

3) Hacktor is tendered and the team carries 3 catchers to start the season.

I can see any of these playing out. SJs point about Hacktors relationship with Timmeh is an important variable in the calculus. Personally, I am tired of the kid gloves used with Timmeh. Unfortunately, finding a replacement in the rotation is not possible due to the hellacious contract the PsTB gave him. But if Hacktor is done, and there truly is a riff between Timmeh and Posey, then I am at a loss for a solution. The money owed to Timmeh prevents a real alternative to be found. At least for 2015.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, wow. The cap hasn't moved much lately (now $189mm), and we indeed are not far from it. I would guess our FO would not want to exceed that.

Yup. And it's not changing per the CBA for a couple years. No more Timmy contracts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't be surprised if he's packaged with EA to bring back someone.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not off topic at all.

This is a very good question.

I see 3 possible solutions...

1) Hacktor is non-tendered and Susac is the backup catcher.

2) Hacktor is tendered and Susac starts the season in Sacto (or Hacktor starts on the DL).

3) Hacktor is tendered and the team carries 3 catchers to start the season.

I can see any of these playing out. SJs point about Hacktors relationship with Timmeh is an important variable in the calculus. Personally, I am tired of the kid gloves used with Timmeh. Unfortunately, finding a replacement in the rotation is not possible due to the hellacious contract the PsTB gave him. But if Hacktor is done, and there truly is a riff between Timmeh and Posey, then I am at a loss for a solution. The money owed to Timmeh prevents a real alternative to be found. At least for 2015.

I dunno, trade him to the Ms and eat half the salary. Problem solved.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
C- Posey
1B-Belt
2B-Panik
3B-
SS-Crawford
OF-Pence
OF-Pagan
OF-

Do we really want to win the bidding war for Sandoval?Can we afford not to?

Panik Has claimed 2B for his own!Carbonell cant hit in the AFL he is far away from the majors.

I just dont think we have anyone to step up at 3B or LF in the minors.

BN-
BN-Arias
BN-Susac
BN-Perez
BN-Blanco

I hate to see Blanco,Perez and Arias on our bench next year coming out of ST but who else do we have?

SP-Bum
SP-Cain
SP-Hudson
SP-
SP-
Peavy pitched his way out of my wanting him back in game 6 of the WS,Same with Vogelsong and game 4 although we won it.Wish we had only given Hudson 1 year with club option so we could kick him to the curb as well.And there is that elephant in the room that is Lincecum.

RP-Casilla
RP-Lopez
RP-Affeldt
RP-Machi
RP-
RP-
RP-

I dont see them breaking up our core bullpen guys so Romo will probably be back.

I looked at the FA list and there is just no one worth bringing in to replace Sandoval.And LF looks pretty weak as well after Melky Cabrera."But"Do they want to sign another OF to a multi year contract and block Williamson when he is eventually ready?Do they they go into emergency backup plan mode when we lose bidding war to Red Sox or Yankees on Sandoval?

Fill out the bench internally,find out who can contribute and start weeding out those that cant hack the MLB level.That means they should DFA Arias,Blanco and Perez and give some others a shot.

I have been one of those calling for Posey to be moved to 3B and I will stick by that if Sandoval signs with anyone else.Cabrera is intriguing but How many years ?I have hopes Williamson will be the real deal.I would like to see Liriano brought in to go with Bum,Cain and Huddy and let Lincecum and Petit compete for 5th spoth in ST.