• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C- Posey
1B-Belt
2B-Panik
3B-
SS-Crawford
OF-Pence
OF-Pagan
OF-

Do we really want to win the bidding war for Sandoval?Can we afford not to?

Panik Has claimed 2B for his own!Carbonell cant hit in the AFL he is far away from the majors.

I just dont think we have anyone to step up at 3B or LF in the minors.

BN-
BN-Arias
BN-Susac
BN-Perez
BN-Blanco

I hate to see Blanco,Perez and Arias on our bench next year coming out of ST but who else do we have?

SP-Bum
SP-Cain
SP-Hudson
SP-
SP-
Peavy pitched his way out of my wanting him back in game 6 of the WS,Same with Vogelsong and game 4 although we won it.Wish we had only given Hudson 1 year with club option so we could kick him to the curb as well.And there is that elephant in the room that is Lincecum.

RP-Casilla
RP-Lopez
RP-Affeldt
RP-Machi
RP-
RP-
RP-

I dont see them breaking up our core bullpen guys so Romo will probably be back.

I looked at the FA list and there is just no one worth bringing in to replace Sandoval.And LF looks pretty weak as well after Melky Cabrera."But"Do they want to sign another OF to a multi year contract and block Williamson when he is eventually ready?Do they they go into emergency backup plan mode when we lose bidding war to Red Sox or Yankees on Sandoval?

Fill out the bench internally,find out who can contribute and start weeding out those that cant hack the MLB level.That means they should DFA Arias,Blanco and Perez and give some others a shot.

I have been one of those calling for Posey to be moved to 3B and I will stick by that if Sandoval signs with anyone else.Cabrera is intriguing but How many years ?I have hopes Williamson will be the real deal.I would like to see Liriano brought in to go with Bum,Cain and Huddy and let Lincecum and Petit compete for 5th spoth in ST.

You have been calling for Arias and Blanco to get cut for a while. I just do not understand the logic.

Please explain why you want them gone.

And for the record, they would not need to DFA Blanco. They would simply need to non-tender him, as he is still in his Arb years.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C- Posey
1B-Belt
2B-Panik
3B-
SS-Crawford
OF-Pence
OF-Pagan
OF-

Panik Has claimed 2B for his own!Carbonell cant hit in the AFL he is far away from the majors.

BN-
BN-Arias
BN-Susac
BN-Perez
BN-Blanco

I hate to see Blanco,Perez and Arias on our bench next year coming out of ST but who else do we have?

SP-Bum
SP-Cain
SP-Hudson
SP-
SP-
Peavy pitched his way out of my wanting him back in game 6 of the WS,Same with Vogelsong and game 4 although we won it.Wish we had only given Hudson 1 year with club option so we could kick him to the curb as well.And there is that elephant in the room that is Lincecum.

RP-Casilla
RP-Lopez
RP-Affeldt
RP-Machi
RP-
RP-
RP-

I dont see them breaking up our core bullpen guys so Romo will probably be back.

I looked at the FA list and there is just no one worth bringing in to replace Sandoval.And LF looks pretty weak as well after Melky Cabrera."But"Do they want to sign another OF to a multi year contract and block Williamson when he is eventually ready?Do they they go into emergency backup plan mode when we lose bidding war to Red Sox or Yankees on Sandoval?

Fill out the bench internally,find out who can contribute and start weeding out those that cant hack the MLB level.That means they should DFA Arias,Blanco and Perez and give some others a shot.

I have been one of those calling for Posey to be moved to 3B and I will stick by that if Sandoval signs with anyone else.Cabrera is intriguing but How many years ?I have hopes Williamson will be the real deal.I would like to see Liriano brought in to go with Bum,Cain and Huddy and let Lincecum and Petit compete for 5th spoth in ST.

This more pessimistic take is one reason why they may decide to just punt on 2015, and I'd frankly be fine with it. Play the kids, save your bullets for 2016 with Timmy and Scoots and Hudson gone. Start the gradual Posey moving plan. It's not really their way, but then again their way after winning titles is not to improve things but try to bring back the same team. And with inevitable injuries and regressions that doesn't work. You have to try to bring back a BETTER team than what won you a title to get another. That ain't happening.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were the Ms, would you take Timmeh for 9M? Even for free?

They need a five behind Felix/Young/Elias/Iwakuma...depends on how much they value Paxton and Walker I guess. For 9MM, I think it's worth a dice roll, especially since he's the local hero. Probably wouldn't have to give up much to get him and if he flames out in the rotation, you've got a one year bullpen guy.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C- Posey
1B-Belt
2B-Panik
3B-
SS-Crawford
OF-Pence
OF-Pagan
OF-

BN-
BN-Arias
BN-Susac
BN-Perez
BN-Blanco

SP-Bum
SP-Cain
SP-Hudson
SP-
SP-

RP-Casilla
RP-Lopez
RP-Affeldt
RP-Machi
RP-
RP-
RP-

Bochy has flat out said Buster isn't moving to 3B, so that's off the table. You'd have a better shot of Belt in LF and Buster at 1B with Susac and Hacktor splitting time behind the dish. However, neither Boch nor Buster want to give up Buster handling the staff..at least not for another couple years.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This more pessimistic take is one reason why they may decide to just punt on 2015, and I'd frankly be fine with it. Play the kids, save your bullets for 2016 with Timmy and Scoots and Hudson gone. Start the gradual Posey moving plan. It's not really their way, but then again their way after winning titles is not to improve things but try to bring back the same team. And with inevitable injuries and regressions that doesn't work. You have to try to bring back a BETTER team than what won you a title to get another. That ain't happening.

Me too. I'm interetsed to see what the young guys can do given an entire season. I have a feeling they'll be very competitive and, as you pointed out, the options are much better in 16 than next year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they're relying on better health in 15 than we had in 14. More Susac spelling Buster, Scoots NOT giving Belt another concussion, Panik playing all year at 2B, Craw and Panda relatively healthy, Pagan 120 games, Herk being Herk, Cain 30 starts.

None of those are unreasonable expectations, but something will blow up as it always does. Hopefully, it isn't Bum, Posey, Panda, or Pence.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're relying on better health in 15 than we had in 14. More Susac spelling Buster, Scoots NOT giving Belt another concussion, Panik playing all year at 2B, Craw and Panda relatively healthy, Pagan 120 games, Herk being Herk, Cain 30 starts.

None of those are unreasonable expectations, but something will blow up as it always does. Hopefully, it isn't Bum, Posey, Panda, or Pence.

Sure, and if they get lucky with health maybe they can contend. But it ain't the way to bet. Like I said if they just try to bring back the same basic team it's probably not their year...it is an odd year after all.

I don't want them to try too hard next year by signing bad contracts. Have a plan, work on 2016.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bochy has flat out said Buster isn't moving to 3B, so that's off the table. You'd have a better shot of Belt in LF and Buster at 1B with Susac and Hacktor splitting time behind the dish. However, neither Boch nor Buster want to give up Buster handling the staff..at least not for another couple years.

I am completely aware of that tzilly nilly :yahoo:but I dont want Belt in LF blocking Williamsons path to the club either.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have been calling for Arias and Blanco to get cut for a while. I just do not understand the logic.

Please explain why you want them gone.

And for the record, they would not need to DFA Blanco. They would simply need to non-tender him, as he is still in his Arb years.

Well each of them did something to help us win during the playoffs Cal but they are painfully hard to watch at the plate during the reg season.If you want to tell me that we cant find anyone to give us the quality defense and a slightly better avg that is fine.I would like to try though.Of course I know they are not going anywhere but I am not going to pretend we cant do better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't read too much into those comments. Those comments were made with Panda on the team, with a context of Posey REPLACING Panda.

Would you have expected him to answer any other way?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well each of them did something to help us win during the playoffs Cal but they are painfully hard to watch at the plate during the reg season.If you want to tell me that we cant find anyone to give us the quality defense and a slightly better avg that is fine.I would like to try though.Of course I know they are not going anywhere but I am not going to pretend we cant do better.

If belt does not break out this year, I think it is time to move on. He plays a position that should supply some serious offense, or be an outlet for another player. If he is going to only supply VERY inconsistent offense, he has to go.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If belt does not break out this year, I think it is time to move on. He plays a position that should supply some serious offense, or be an outlet for another player. If he is going to only supply VERY inconsistent offense, he has to go.

Another argument for 2015 being a 'transition' year. Let's see what we have in Belt.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, and if they get lucky with health maybe they can contend. But it ain't the way to bet. Like I said if they just try to bring back the same basic team it's probably not their year...it is an odd year after all.

I don't want them to try too hard next year by signing bad contracts. Have a plan, work on 2016.

We have to avoid the big "thank you for helping us win last year" contracts. Like we did with Huff, or Scutaro. Like signing Peavy to a 2/25, or Morse to a 2/18, or Romo to a 2/14, or Vogey to a 2/12, or Blanco to anything but a 1 year arb.

As tzill pointed out, we are approaching the luxury tax, something I suspect the FO wants to avoid like the proverbial plague. We need to sharpen our pencils IMHO. While Timmy and Huddy and Scoots roll off, other players coming up are in line to get paid - Crawford and Belt, for example.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to avoid the big "thank you for helping us win last year" contracts. Like we did with Huff, or Scutaro. Like signing Peavy to a 2/25, or Morse to a 2/18, or Romo to a 2/14, or Vogey to a 2/12, or Blanco to anything but a 1 year arb.

As tzill pointed out, we are approaching the luxury tax, something I suspect the FO wants to avoid like the proverbial plague. We need to sharpen our pencils IMHO. While Timmy and Huddy and Scoots roll off, other players coming up are in line to get paid - Crawford and Belt, for example.

Exactly...all of the signs point to the smart move being punt 2015. The available FAs, the potentially dumb contracts we would sign to try to win right away, the $ coming off the books in 2016...except for maybe 'overpaying' Panda I hope we pretty much stand pat, and only sign other guys on the cheap. If Peavy or Vogey want that so be it. Romo I'm torn, try to get him for 2/10-12.

When you win 3 titles in 5 years, as a fan (and a front office) you can be patient, IMO there's no reason to be dumb and push for next year if it's not there.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they will take on any bad contracts, unless they get a shot at Tomas...

I'm thinking Santana 3/39 and Rios 2/20, and bring Panda back at 5/85

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they will take on any bad contracts, unless they get a shot at Tomas...

I'm thinking Santana 3/39 and Rios 2/20, and bring Panda back at 5/85

I am OK with both the Santana and Rios proposals.

For Panda, I am just TERRIFIED at a contract longer than 4 years (and I am not thrilled with 4 years). He simply does not have the self-motivation to keep his conditioning in check when he is comfortable. A 3-year deal will keep his comeuppance close enough that he will keep himself in check. A 4-year deal gets into the area where it is far away, but MAYBE he can do it. A 5-year deal? "Fuck it, I am set. Let's PARTY!!"

Of course, all of this comes with the caveat that Sabey Sabes knows Panda better than I do, and he knows all the variables better than I. So I will be OK with whatever they decide.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am OK with both the Santana and Rios proposals.

For Panda, I am just TERRIFIED at a contract longer than 4 years (and I am not thrilled with 4 years). He simply does not have the self-motivation to keep his conditioning in check when he is comfortable. A 3-year deal will keep his comeuppance close enough that he will keep himself in check. A 4-year deal gets into the area where it is far away, but MAYBE he can do it. A 5-year deal? "Fuck it, I am set. Let's PARTY!!"

Of course, all of this comes with the caveat that Sabey Sabes knows Panda better than I do, and he knows all the variables better than I. So I will be OK with whatever they decide.

I don't think any of that is on the table, after Shin Soo Choo got 7 years (!) at age 30...

But 5/85 would be a very reasonable deal. Maybe the last year or so wouldn't be a good value, but with the constant escalation maybe it would. It's how the game is played now, you almost expect the last couple years on any deal to not be great. Plus Panda like any player is getting older and more mature, maybe he realizes what he has to do to stay at a good level, he's not 24 anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of that is on the table, after Shin Soo Choo got 7 years (!) at age 30...

But 5/85 would be a very reasonable deal. Maybe the last year or so wouldn't be a good value, but with the constant escalation maybe it would. It's how the game is played now, you almost expect the last couple years on any deal to not be great. Plus Panda like any player is getting older and more mature, maybe he realizes what he has to do to stay at a good level, he's not 24 anymore.

My point is not that he only has 3 years left in him.

My point is that he will lose motivation to keep himself in shape if he has a long deal.

I believe that if he has a 3-year deal, he will have a near All-Star-quality season in '15. He will have a contract discussion soon enough to "keep him honest". If he signs a 5-year deal, he will have a sub-par year in '15 because he simply would care more about having fun.

The years in the contract, I believe, will directly effect the performance on the field in the early years.