• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Entry Draft Thread

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
J.P. Anderson, defenseman Taylor Doherty and forwards Uriah Hayes weren't qualified nothing shocking though I think they fucked up Jp andersons development though

Probably one of the reasons Schwab isn't with the franchise any more. I liked Hayes. Thought he could be a good 4th liner but it might be a numbers game with him. I'm glad to see they are not bringing Doherty back. Shouldn't have signed him last year but better late than never.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to win now, stop all this bullshit about building for a future. If Doug is gambling on Jones becoming the next BIG one, then you have to think Doug will put together the best defense in front of him. I could be wrong but I see this trade starting the off-season plan and signing some top talented UFA's on July 1st.

To trade a potential top ten pick in next years draft on a unproven player and not giving the player to succeed is just plain stupid and if Doug fails this off-season then its goodbye Doggie Boy.

:laugh3: Vancouver still settled for a 2nd rounder for Bieksa, I guess Dougie really pissed off Vancouver's GM after all.

All eyes are on Dougie now!!!!!!!!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We need to win now, stop all this bullshit about building for a future. If Doug is gambling on Jones becoming the next BIG one, then you have to think Doug will put together the best defense in front of him. I could be wrong but I see this trade starting the off-season plan and signing some top talented UFA's on July 1st.

To trade a potential top ten pick in next years draft on a unproven player and not giving the player to succeed is just plain stupid and if Doug fails this off-season then its goodbye Doggie Boy.

:laugh3: Vancouver still settled for a 2nd rounder for Bieksa, I guess Dougie really pissed off Vancouver's GM after all.

All eyes are on Dougie now!!!!!!!!

The Jones move definitely points toward a more win now attitude than a full rebuild, although he is young, so I guess dougie sees it as a 5+ year move. Certainly does seem like dougie is looking to win right away. His name has been thrown in with franson, so signing him would be a sign toward winning more immediately. Any of Bauchemin or martin would too. Cant imagine dougie is in the mike green conversation, but I guess you never know. If he is quiet tomorrow, then I cannot see how he will be able to field a competitive team with trading more future pieces (prospects/picks) for d help. Tomorrow is quite intriguing...

So which borderline NHL vet can dougie overpay for tomorrow?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Jones move definitely points toward a more win now attitude than a full rebuild, although he is young, so I guess dougie sees it as a 5+ year move. Certainly does seem like dougie is looking to win right away. His name has been thrown in with franson, so signing him would be a sign toward winning more immediately. Any of Bauchemin or martin would too. Cant imagine dougie is in the mike green conversation, but I guess you never know. If he is quiet tomorrow, then I cannot see how he will be able to field a competitive team with trading more future pieces (prospects/picks) for d help. Tomorrow is quite intriguing...

So which borderline NHL vet can dougie overpay for tomorrow?
Green, Fronson and or Beauchemin though I don't like that idea I guess it's an improvement over the current situation. Id like to see the 3rd and 4th line shored up

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Green, Fronson and or Beauchemin though I don't like that idea I guess it's an improvement over the current situation. Id like to see the 3rd and 4th line shored up

I kinda like Franson, so I hope they go after him. 5 yrs, 20M (4M per) would be fine with me. I think he's a guy who can eat up 20-22 minutes, play on the PP and if put in the right situation, I think he emerge a bona fide middle pairing Dman. I would not be thrilled to see dougie throw more than 5M per at him as I cant see him worth anywhere near that kind of money. 4.5 per is OK too...

I cannot see Green here. He'll command 6+ for major term, but he's not good defensively and while his O is amazing, I dont think he's the big minute guy that he seems to be. Trotz, who I love and think is among the top 3 coaches in the league, used him just 19 mins, and one of the lowest among all D at EV, hiding him with O zone starts and weak 3rd and 4th line opposition.

Beauchemin is a "win now" kind of player, but I reallllly like him. he's old, but I would be fine with 4-5M per for 3 years. He can still handle 20+ mins, and is very good at both ends. His experience and cup ring are also of great great value on a team clearly still committed to win now. he's more a of a stop gap move, but I really like what he brings.

As for the forwards, they have 14 forwards right now, and their top 9 is fine with me:

Jumbo, Patty, pavelski, cooch, wingels, hertl, nieto, karlsson, and tierney. goodrow-smith-brown/torres/rook would make up the 4th line. There's alot of youth in that top 9, and I could see even another youngin' making the lineup like Goldobin, O'regan, jevpalovs, chartier, lebanc, or sadowy. Hell, donskoi and emanuelsson have outside chances as well. As much as Id love to shore up the bottom 6, I wuld hate to sign anyone for more than year or for any real money. I dont see the need for another brown, burish, or scott. Id rather give the kids a chance...

To make tomorrow a success, they should resign Irwin, 2 yrs 3M, and Franson, 5 years 22.5M.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now that Jones, Dillon, Karlsson are signed and nemo is gone, the sharks have 2 goalies, 5D, and 13F. That leavs just 2 more D to be signed with just a shade under 10M left in cap space. Clearly dougie is armed and ready going into tomorrow to make a serious run at at least one or two bigger name D.

You know, I could see dougie chasing Oduya too. he's gunna be 34 by opening night, but I could see him getting 3 yrs 15M from dougie. That would be a very dougie like move to overpay for a cup winner, even though he was a -4 and not all that great and chicago won because of keith, toews and kane. However, this is the kind of play dougie tends to do as he basically never targets a top dog.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Wilson goes after a dman tomorrow I will maintain that Franson and Sekera are the only ones he should be targeting.

While I'm not a huge fan of him going after anyone in FA, I agree, the trade for Jones does suggest Wilson is looking to improve the team now.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Wilson goes after a dman tomorrow I will maintain that Franson and Sekera are the only ones he should be targeting.

While I'm not a huge fan of him going after anyone in FA, I agree, the trade for Jones does suggest Wilson is looking to improve the team now.
I'm ok with that but I still think the sharks need more offense from the backend after burns the threat of blue line scoring drops off to non threatening at best lol

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm ok with that but I still think the sharks need more offense from the backend after burns the threat of blue line scoring drops off to non threatening at best lol

I agree, that's why I kinda like Franson. I can see him as a 35-40 pointer if given a solid role and some good PP time. its actually also why i wouldnt mind if irwin got 2 years, 3M as a 7th defenseman. He added some nice pop last year and can also get good PP time. Burns, Franson, Irwin and Vlasic is reasonable as the two PP pairings.

I cant imagine dougie going for Green, but its awfully intriguing.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah cap friendly numbers in case he sucks lol

Yeah it is a relatively low risk signing. That said, at just 3 years, he'll be a UFA at the end, so it would really suck to trade a possible top 10 pick for a guy who plays only a few years in your organization. I kinda figured it would be 5 years 15M, but I suppose its risky to give 5 years to a guy who's only played 34 games. Its a prudent deal, though I still feel he vastly overpaid to get him.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree, that's why I kinda like Franson. I can see him as a 35-40 pointer if given a solid role and some good PP time. its actually also why i wouldnt mind if irwin got 2 years, 3M as a 7th defenseman. He added some nice pop last year and can also get good PP time. Burns, Franson, Irwin and Vlasic is reasonable as the two PP pairings.

I cant imagine dougie going for Green, but its awfully intriguing.
Im in the same boat with you on Irwin but hes going to go chase big money and i cant say i blame him, pro careers to make big money is a small window when your a guy like Irwin, I can see colorado over paying him in the 3-4mill range

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah it is a relatively low risk signing. That said, at just 3 years, he'll be a UFA at the end, so it would really suck to trade a possible top 10 pick for a guy who plays only a few years in your organization. I kinda figured it would be 5 years 15M, but I suppose its risky to give 5 years to a guy who's only played 34 games. Its a prudent deal, though I still feel he vastly overpaid to get him.
If he becomes as good as Braydon Holtby or Ben Bishop then its an under payment so thats the flip side of the coin lol

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Sekera's offensive game more than Franson's. He is much more versatile and creative. He's a better puck mover, better skater, and much better defensively. Franson will be another one who's defensive game you guys complain about like Burns and Ehrhoff.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks allegedly targeting Martin I don't like that at all especially at 34 on a stacked team like the Pens he still can't produce big numbers

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sharks allegedly targeting Martin I don't like that at all especially at 34 on a stacked team like the Pens he still can't produce big numbers

he's not a big scorer and cant play that kind of game. that said, he's a very solid defenseman, who is a clear top 4. I would be fine with him at a good number and term. 3 years 13.5M, or even 4 years at 18M. (4.5M per) would be fine with me, but I fear he may command 6M per. Injuries and age a risk but a 3 year deals buys 34, 35, and 36 years old. not that terrible.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like Sekera's offensive game more than Franson's. He is much more versatile and creative. He's a better puck mover, better skater, and much better defensively. Franson will be another one who's defensive game you guys complain about like Burns and Ehrhoff.

Totally understood. his defensive game is lacking, but perhaps it can be coached with a good system. Burns got a whole lot better the 2nd half in his own zone.