• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Entry Draft Thread

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Woulda rather have had Oduya that Martin...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
straight up, id say yes too. Cooch is amazing. I love him to death and he's awesome in every aspect of the game. Future captain material without a doubt. But, at 6M he's not cheap, and he hasnt gotten 70 pts yet. He likely will shortly, but nevertheless he hasnt yet. A straight up deal would save almost 2M on the cap in the enxt two years and the sharks could likely extend shattenkirk for many more years given his age. top pair dmen are harder to find than top 6 forwards, and if Green and sakera get 5.5 and 6M per year, then Shattenkirk is easily for 6.5, so he's way way underpaid for at least two years. If they pulled that trigger and then signed Justin Williams and Joel ward, I'd look at them as a real contender.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
without a 1st rounder, we arent getting shattenkirk so its not even worth mentioning...

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
without a 1st rounder, we arent getting shattenkirk so its not even worth mentioning...

Possibly. Didn't someone say the draft is weak next year? Maybe the Blues would rather have young players instead of a 1st round pick.
I'm sure there is no way this happens either....but I'd do that do for Couture in a second too.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Possibly. Didn't someone say the draft is weak next year? Maybe the Blues would rather have young players instead of a 1st round pick.
I'm sure there is no way this happens either....but I'd do that do for Couture in a second too.

yeah, its not gunna happen. While dougie has never been gunshy on a big deal, he doesnt tend to trade centerpieces like cooch. Maybe mueller, nieto, even possibly hertl.

Personally, I see acquiring a guy like shattenkirk as a very very rare opportunity, so I would anti up. Red Wings are rumored to be front runners, though they just signed green and richards, so not sure.

Either way, I certainly would not hold out hope.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sharks have about 5M left and need one more D and maybe one forward. heres what I want to see going forward:

Irwin resigned 2 yrs 2.5M. Williams signs 5 years, 15M (I know the term is crazy, but the term is what drops the cap number to fit him in. if dougie pulls those two deals, I will feel like the sharks might even be cup contenders again:

Here's the D: Burns, Vlasic, Martin, Braun, Dillon, Irwin/Mueller.

Its not a spectacular D, but basically its the same as last year except Mueller is a year older, Irwin is a year better, and Hannan became Martin, which is a massive upgrade, and really makes the D way better and shuld really help the GAA and PK.

Heres the top 10 O: Thornton, marleau, couture, pavelski, Williams, Wingels, hertl, Nieto, Karlsson, and tierney. A mix Ben Smith, brown, Torres, an Goodrow make up the rest of the 4th line.

Maybe a lineup like:
Thornton-paveski-Karlsson
Couture-Marleau-Williams
Hertl-Wingels-Nieto
Tierney-Smith-Goodrow (Torres if healthy, brown too)

Thats a very nice top 9/10 forwards, and with some development of the younger guys, could be a lethal forward crew as tierney also showed some nice pop and potential, and can easily slot into the top 9 particularly in case of the inevitable injury bug. Also, the acquisition of williams gives them a 3 time cup winner who has proven himself in the biggest game on the brightest stage. Hell, he's Mr. game 7. His vet leadership and heart alone make him worth it.

G: Jones, Stalock: Obviously some unknowns, but if Jones is as good as Dougie and many aroudn the hockey world believe, than the goaltending ould be well improved.

That lineup has the potential to compete with the best if Deboer does a good job, the chemisry is good, and the systems are in place. The development of Jones, Hertl, Nieto, Karlsson, Tierney, and Mueller would obviously be the main determining factor, but if the stars aligned, the combination of solid vets, youth, and playoff experience would make the sharks formidable.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think you have a little to much faith in Mirco, he needs to start the season in the AHL and log big minutes to help his development. And unless he put on some serious mass this off season I don't see things going much different for him this year. I like that he wants to play a nasty game sharks lack that on the backend he just needs to fill out.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What the fuck is going on in Boston?!?! Belisky to that many years? Ouch!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think you have a little to much faith in Mirco, he needs to start the season in the AHL and log big minutes to help his development. And unless he put on some serious mass this off season I don't see things going much different for him this year. I like that he wants to play a nasty game sharks lack that on the backend he just needs to fill out.

I agree with you about Mueller. Thats why i want them to sign Irwin for 2 years, 2.5M. I would rather Mueller start for the Cuda as a #1/2 Dman playing 23-25 mins/night, and have the 7th Dman be someone like tennyson.

As for boston, 3.8 is actually less than he was expected to sign for. Most sources I saw were more like 4-4.5M. it could end up a solid deal, but its definitely risky.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Martin the only player Doug is planning on signing? :noidea: personally im not too thrilled.

I think some of you have too much faith in our young players and I don't see anything to get excited about.

Mueller = AHL material
Nieto = Another Torrey Mitchell that can't be effective on the bottom two lines
Hertl = Needs to grow, hope the knee injury isn't a issue?
Goodrow = AHL material
Tierney = can he survive as a 4th line center? Can he produce as a 3rd line center?
Karlson = Fluke? Or will he be another Neils Ekman?
Braun = don't have the faith in him
Stalock = needs to prove his worth
Jones = pure gamble, very nervous
Wingles = needs to emerge this season or he will be the new Steve Bernier

* Too many question marks on these potential young roster players

We dont even have a decent top line or a top six, we are entering the season again with a Top four with Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture only.
Our bottom two lines suck again, no depth

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So is Martin the only player Doug is planning on signing? :noidea: personally im not too thrilled.

I think some of you have too much faith in our young players and I don't see anything to get excited about.

Mueller = AHL material
Goodrow = AHL material
Tierney = can he survive as a 4th line center? Can he produce as a 3rd line center?

We dont even have a decent top line or a top six, we are entering the season again with a Top four with Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture only.

I can understand your concern and it's well founded. There are a ton of young players in key roles next year. That said, there is also a nice veteran core, and if everything goes wrong, then they will suck. However, if things go even so-so they should compete for a PO spot and iif things go well, they will be quite respectable.

You are wrong on a few things though. Braun is a solid shut down Dman and Id be shocked if he sucks next year. wingels, nieto and hertl will be better. Even if they are only marginally better, it will make a big difference. Jones is a gamble, but had been very good at every level since juniors, so its a reasonable bet, not a total prayer. Karlsson is definitely a wild card. He was surprisingly good, and even better than he was in lesser leagues. That said, I love the ekman comparison, and if he turns out anything like him, that would be amazing.

You do leave out the very real possibility of a rookie coming in and make a very big impact. Goldobin, Jevpalovs, Donskoi, emanuelsson, O'regan, Mcnally, and a few others will get real looks in training camp. I would be shocked if we dont see at least one or two of them at some point during the year. Doubly likely given that the cuda play in the same building making little 1 game call ups much simpler and easier.

I believe that despite the underperformance of pretty much every young player this year, the team sucked because of Defense, penalty killing, and goaltending. The addition of Martin to replace hannan is a major major move. Martin will play likely more than a 1/3 of every game, and that's alot of much improved minutes with a great PK track record. If nothing else, the D is better and if Jones is at least as good as nemo which is likely, then they will be an improved team either way.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Williams to Washington 2years, at just 6.5M total (3.25M per year). What a great deal for the caps. What the Fuck! Such a deal in SJ would have made this summer an unmistakeable success. Instead dougie overpays for martin (a player I like but about 1M per year overpay), who is also injury prone while williams is super durable. I really wanted to add him and 3.25 is very cap friendly, especially at just 2 years... Damn!

Why cant dougie pull off these kinds of good deals?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At least Williams is in the east, so I would love him to once again kill the sharks in the PO's...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Mueller = AHL material
Goodrow = AHL material

Mueller needs time to develop he showed he could play in the NHL as a 19 year old that's beyond impressive especially for a Dman.
Neito at least Mitchell could play defense lol, I dunno he's sort of a cusp player he could go either way, he has a chance to be a 40pnt guy or a cast off
Hertl it was the knee plain and simple lack of confidence too
Goodrow is most likely to be Bernier but worse, if he played a heavy powerforward game he'd be worth keeping
Tierny is going to be good period
Karlsson if he stays on the Thornton line will hit 30-35 goals this year and 60 pnts not a fluke watch his play hockey smarts
Braun will be fine barring injuries
Wingels what the hell else he's he supposed to do, he plays on any line and produces
Stalock is going to be make or break season I think hedberg and nabby do wonders for his game
Jones if he fixed his lateral holes 5&7 he's going to look like a massive steal

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dwill should throw an offer sheet at tarasenko

They cant anymore since their 1st rounder is gone to Jones... There was a handful of good players they couldve offer sheeted had they kept that pick... Shit prob couldvt gotten shattenkirk had they kept that pick...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rules what do you think of Erhoff 1-2 mill 1-2 years

Id be absolutely fine with him, but no more than 2yrs, 2M per. He's not the same top3 defenseman he was long ago, but he is still an excellent #5/6, and very good for 18 mins/night of good play and spot service on the PP.

Problem is that he's still only 32 (really 33 in a few days), so he's not old and still averaged over 21 mins/gm for the pens last year, even with the injury. Put that together and he will likely command in the 3-4M range for 3 years or so. I would not be thrilled if dougie threw 3 years, 10M at him. at 2 yrs, 4M, Id be all for it as he adds good depth and the sharks may come to need that given the injury history on their roster and the big question mark of mueller.