• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Entry Draft Thread

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If everyone is healthy all year, its an average D, middle of the pack Id say. Not nearly as good as some (like chicago or nYR), but better than others (edm or Pho). However, health is a big issue. Martin is a major injury risk. Pickles has missed some time. Braun too. Dillon is a big big question mark in terms of his ability to step into the top 4. Thus, if everyone is 100% healthy all year, its a servicable crew. If not, then we will have Mueller and Tennyson in the lineup on a daily basis, and 2 injuries (also pretty common and happened a bunch last year) would put mueller, Tennyson, and stollery in the lineup as they have no depth at D in the system as far as I can see. Its gigantic risk, and their top 4, while solid arent the minute eaters of other top D. Keith and seabrook can push 30 mins/gm as can a drew doughty. No shark can easily handle more than 23-25 max, so the depth matters more for SJ.
Vlasic and Brauny are both largely good for 82 every season I think last year was more of an aberration, Vlasic was cheap shotted as well so you can say it was his fault or his body failed him

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On another bright side, we now know that Mr. SAP is willing to spend to the cap and wants to win now. If this little revolution works, and the sharks are a solid team next year, it will bode well for the longer term as they picked up 2 grade A prospects this draft and have a nice system of young forwards coming along. The 2 years left on the big two and 3 for ward are good lengths for the development curves of their abundant 19-20 year old forward prospects.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect this upcoming year now. They could suck just as much as last year if jones falls short, martin or anyone on the D gets hurt, and the young guys (karlsson, nieto, hertl, tierney, etc) do not progress. Or they could be legit contenders if Jones is a clear #1 as many say, the kids develop nicely, and the D health holds up. This is one of the most unknown years that I can remember

And the biggest wild card is DeBoer, and namely his ability to fix the locker room and establish a captain and leadership structure that gets everyone pulling in the same direction.

On another bright side, we now know that Mr. SAP is willing to spend to the cap and wants to win now. If this little revolution works, and the sharks are a solid team next year, it will bode well for the longer term as they picked up 2 grade A prospects this draft and have a nice system of young forwards coming along. The 2 years left on the big two and 3 for ward are good lengths for the development curves of their abundant 19-20 year old forward prospects.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect this upcoming year now. They could suck just as much as last year if jones falls short, martin or anyone on the D gets hurt, and the young guys (karlsson, nieto, hertl, tierney, etc) do not progress. Or they could be legit contenders if Jones is a clear #1 as many say, the kids develop nicely, and the D health holds up. This is one of the most unknown years that I can remember

And the biggest wild card is DeBoer, and namely his ability to fix the locker room and establish a captain and leadership structure that gets everyone pulling in the same direction.
I think the biggest one of the youngsters to worry about is Nieto. I think karlson is in the 40-50 pnt range over 82 maybe even as high as 60 his style of play doesn't heavily rely on a certain skill set I only see him improving. Tierny could possibly turn out to be something special. Hertl is probably a career 40-50 pnt guy so I'm not expecting more then that out of him

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vlasic and Brauny are both largely good for 82 every season I think last year was more of an aberration, Vlasic was cheap shotted as well so you can say it was his fault or his body failed him

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the dmen. As long as there isn't a huge regression in Martin's play they are a top 10 group as is. My biggest concern is what was the teams downfall last year, defensive coverage by the forwards. All year the forwards hung the dmen out to dry with lazy back checking and missed coverages. The addition of Ward will help some as should a new group of coaches but if the forwards don't greatly improve their defensive play it won't matter what dmen the team ices.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the dmen. As long as there isn't a huge regression in Martin's play they are a top 10 group as is. My biggest concern is what was the teams downfall last year, defensive coverage by the forwards. All year the forwards hung the dmen out to dry with lazy back checking and missed coverages. The addition of Ward will help some as should a new group of coaches but if the forwards don't greatly improve their defensive play it won't matter what dmen the team ices.
Yeah you figure with Martin you've got at least 3 dmen getting at least 20pnts combined with burnsies 50 and whatever additional scoring you get for the bottom pair. Might even get close to 30 out of pickles he's in his physical prime so it's not impossible. If Matt Irwin comes back it's atleast 4 out of your top 5 Dmen putting up 20 and I'd say that puts them close to top 5 defensively

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want more, confidence on the blueline. Give me another dman not a rookie.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who do you want to trade to get another Dman?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If the sharks are gunna trade anyone for a dman, it should be one of their young forwards, likely nieto, or possibly Wingels or hertl. I see Hertl's upside as pretty high (like bona fide top liner), but nieto is expendable. He has great speed and works hard, but he really is a slightly improved Torrey mitchell. Wingels is a hard nosed guy who is a very solid 3rd liner, but also not likely to improve too much for his current lot. The sharks have a ton of young guns 27 or younger already at the NHL level with couture/nieto/hertl/wingels/karlsson/Tierney/Smith/Goodrow and in the system (goldobin, meier, chartier, lebanc, sadowy, O'regan, Jevpalovs, Helewka, donskoi, etc...), so moving one (or even two) of them is fine with me to add a solid young D.

If moving two of those guys can land a shattenkirk, that would be amazing, but even just adding any solid 25 or under top 4 D would be great.

What teams are looking for good young forwards and have a surplus of solid young D?

At this point, I think it makes sense to go into the season with the current roster and see how it goes. Then, if/when injuries happen, dougie can trade for need. Also, keeping a little cap space gives more trade flexibility down the line. With their abundant young forwards, the sharks will have some nice chips to move midyear, especially to a team looking for a little more offense.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the sharks are gunna trade anyone for a dman, it should be one of their young forwards, likely nieto, or possibly Wingels or hertl. I see Hertl's upside as pretty high (like bona fide top liner), but nieto is expendable. He has great speed and works hard, but he really is a slightly improved Torrey mitchell. Wingels is a hard nosed guy who is a very solid 3rd liner, but also not likely to improve too much for his current lot. The sharks have a ton of young guns 27 or younger already at the NHL level with couture/nieto/hertl/wingels/karlsson/Tierney/Smith/Goodrow and in the system (goldobin, meier, chartier, lebanc, sadowy, O'regan, Jevpalovs, Helewka, donskoi, etc...), so moving one (or even two) of them is fine with me to add a solid young D.

If moving two of those guys can land a shattenkirk, that would be amazing, but even just adding any solid 25 or under top 4 D would be great.

What teams are looking for good young forwards and have a surplus of solid young D?

At this point, I think it makes sense to go into the season with the current roster and see how it goes. Then, if/when injuries happen, dougie can trade for need. Also, keeping a little cap space gives more trade flexibility down the line. With their abundant young forwards, the sharks will have some nice chips to move midyear, especially to a team looking for a little more offense.
You don't trade a guy like Wingels he brings way to much to the table to be moved, only way you trade him is if your in full rebuild

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You don't trade a guy like Wingels he brings way to much to the table to be moved, only way you trade him is if your in full rebuild

Or if it brings in a guy like shattenkirk. I would move wingels as a centerpiece in a shattenkirk trade in a heartbeat. its all about what you get in return...

I see the sharks forwards as their major strength. In the next few years, its fair to assume that several of the forwards in the system will be able to make the jump and are likely to be impact NHLers. You wouldnt want to throw away that depth for nothing, but you also can parlay it into help where the system is woefully short. At this moment, there is no more immediate impetus to move anyone, so I expect dougie will sit tight. But, if things are not going well or the injury bug strikes, the moveable pieces are there.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Or if it brings in a guy like shattenkirk. I would move wingels as a centerpiece in a shattenkirk trade in a heartbeat. its all about what you get in return...

I see the sharks forwards as their major strength. In the next few years, its fair to assume that several of the forwards in the system will be able to make the jump and are likely to be impact NHLers. You wouldnt want to throw away that depth for nothing, but you also can parlay it into help where the system is woefully short. At this moment, there is no more immediate impetus to move anyone, so I expect dougie will sit tight. But, if things are not going well or the injury bug strikes, the moveable pieces are there.

Only good thing about that Shattenkirk deal is they don't want a winger and no way Wingels would be a centerpiece it would be couture. Wingels is just a guy who brings the intaginables to the game he can be plugged In anywhere in the line up and excell, those are types of players don't come around often and rarely are replaced. Similar to guys like Mike Ricci they just don't grow on trees

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lol, Wingels and Nieto aren't going to bring in Shattenkirk or anyone of his calibre. If you want someone like that it will have to be Couture that gets moved.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wasnt implying that wingels would be a centerpiece to a shattenkirk trade, just that for the right return, he could be moved. I agree that he is a solid player and not one Id just throw away. I think my post was a little poorly written and misunderstood.

cooch isnt going anywhere. if dougie is going to add by trade, I am pretty sure it would be nieto or someone like that along with one of the many prospects to be moved. However, nothing is gunna happen until december or january and that's only in the case of some serious injuries to the back end or a badly underperforming team.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
On another note, the NHL roster is pretty close to being decided but I was curious where the 19-20 year old prospects will be playing next year. Namely, will Goldobin, Bergman, Chartier, Sadowy, Helewka, Rod, and Leblanc all be on Worcester, or will Goldobin and Rod go back to Europe and some of the others remain another year in juniors? I would love to have all them start the year in worcester and get a really good look at what they have coming up even though it might burn a year of the ELC.

Also, is it possible for the 19 year olds (chartier, sadowy, etc) to start on wooster and then get returned to the junior teams? I know they can do that within 10 games at the NHL level and preserve the ELC year, but can they do that at the AHL level too?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On another note, the NHL roster is pretty close to being decided but I was curious where the 19-20 year old prospects will be playing next year. Namely, will Goldobin, Bergman, Chartier, Sadowy, Helewka, Rod, and Leblanc all be on Worcester, or will Goldobin and Rod go back to Europe and some of the others remain another year in juniors? I would love to have all them start the year in worcester and get a really good look at what they have coming up even though it might burn a year of the ELC.

Also, is it possible for the 19 year olds (chartier, sadowy, etc) to start on wooster and then get returned to the junior teams? I know they can do that within 10 games at the NHL level and preserve the ELC year, but can they do that at the AHL level too?
AHL has an actual age restriction of 20 years old

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont think so...

FAQ
| The American Hockey League

Says that 18 is the min.
Yeah I'm not sure about that because I think that's the reason Mirco Mueller wasn't sent down, it was either the sharks or his JR team same thing happened with Gilber Brulle. I think a special waiver is required for and under 20 to play in the AHL I know Sergei Samonov needed one to play in the IHL

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I'm not sure about that because I think that's the reason Mirco Mueller wasn't sent down, it was either the sharks or his JR team same thing happened with Gilber Brulle. I think a special waiver is required for and under 20 to play in the AHL I know Sergei Samonov needed one to play in the IHL

I was just researching and you are mostly right, but it only applies to the CHL guys (college is different). CHLers cannot play in the AHL until they are 20 (by dec 31st of that year, so guys turning 20 in calendar 2015 can play there) OR until they have played 4 years in juniors. they can however play in the NHL. Thus, if a guy who will not be 20 by dec 31,2015 makes the sharks roster, they have to be returned within the 10 games or kept on the NHL roster all year.

So, if I understand correctly, that would stop a guy like Meier from going to the AHL, but Helewka who turns 20 this summer can. In other words, any 1995 born player could, which means goldobin, bergman, Rod (becasue he is not from juniors), Lebanc can, but sadowy and chartier cannot. Anyone from the 2013 draft or before can. Should be interesting to see how the sharks play it.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
AHL has an actual age restriction of 20 years old

AHL age restriction is 18 years on or before Dec 31 of that season. However, Canadian born CHL players cannot play in the AHL until the year they turn 20. European born CHL players must play a year in Europe or the NHL before moving to the AHL if they want to play in the AHL before their age 20 year.