• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 Off Season Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another site they say it would be crazy trading Paxton for Gardner because of cost and that Gardner and Miller are the same player. Am I the only one that thinks this is nuts?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have continued to express interest in catcher Chris Iannetta, Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports on Twitter. Iannetta, 32, hit the open market after four years with the Angels — which was, of course, also the most recent stop of new Seattle GM Jerry Dipoto. The M’s have also reached out to Jarrod Saltalamacchia as the team weights its options for veteran additions behind the dish, SB Nation’s Chris Cotillo tweets.

-------------------

that is what it has come to? yuck!

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another site they say it would be crazy trading Paxton for Gardner because of cost and that Gardner and Miller are the same player. Am I the only one that thinks this is nuts?
As far as a trade of Paxton for Gardner I would rather sign a guy like Parra and keep Paxton. Gardner worries me offensively to be honest, in his recent years he reminds me a lot of what we have been seeing from our high k rate guys. Comparing current day Gardner to Miller isn't that far off in my mind. Offensively I would expect similar numbers to Miller.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as a trade of Paxton for Gardner I would rather sign a guy like Parra and keep Paxton. Gardner worries me offensively to be honest, in his recent years he reminds me a lot of what we have been seeing from our high k rate guys. Comparing current day Gardner to Miller isn't that far off in my mind. Offensively I would expect similar numbers to Miller.

Interesting. I see no comparison. I see Miller at best being a Gardner, but nowhere near that now. Miller had a 0.6 WAR compared to Gardner at 3.3 I believe. Gardner is the much better defender and baserunner.

I like Parra as much as anyone obviously, but he is more of a platoon 4th OF (which is fine) and not a Gardner.

I guess I am done with Paxton and his Bedard like body/mind. I just don't see winner when I watch him. Walker at least shows competitiveness. I have posted this before, but watch Paxton who shows no emotions and just sits in the dugouts between innings of games he is pitching and looks straight ahead into space. I guess I put more into the inner game than most. I believe the edge is in the heart of the game.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Among the teams interested in Alexei Ramirez aside from the White Sox are the San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, New York Mets and Tampa Bay Rays, according to Hayes.

Seattle is looking for a new shortstop after swapping Brad Miller to the Rays in a deal that netted them starting pitcher Nate Karns, among others. If the Mariners miss out on Ramirez, they could turn the shortstop spot over to 22-year-old Ketel Marte, who played 51 games at shortstop in the final two months of 2015, hitting .283/.351/.402 with a pair of home runs and eight steals in 219 at bats.

----------------------

What is wrong with Marte? I would much rather have him and spend the money elsewhere.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I see no comparison. I see Miller at best being a Gardner, but nowhere near that now. Miller had a 0.6 WAR compared to Gardner at 3.3 I believe. Gardner is the much better defender and baserunner.

I like Parra as much as anyone obviously, but he is more of a platoon 4th OF (which is fine) and not a Gardner.

I guess I am done with Paxton and his Bedard like body/mind. I just don't see winner when I watch him. Walker at least shows competitiveness. I have posted this before, but watch Paxton who shows no emotions and just sits in the dugouts between innings of games he is pitching and looks straight ahead into space. I guess I put more into the inner game than most. I believe the edge is in the heart of the game.

I agree completely with your assessment of Paxton, his heart doesn't look like it's ever in it.... very Bedard like.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of bring Ramirez in. He appears to be the exact opposite of what DiPoto says he wants to do. His OBP is below .300 2 of the last 4 years and under .320 in all but 2 seasons. Marte may not have Ramirez's defense, but I would think improving that would be much easier than changing what Ramirez has been his entire career.

As for Paxton, I'm for trading him if that is what needs to happen. He hasn't been able to put together an injury free season for a while (2013, maybe?). He has shown that he can pitch up here, but that just makes his value higher. I'm not sure Gardner is the answer for CF (he's been more a LF since his 2012 injury), but our OF is so depleted that he'd be out there somewhere.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of bring Ramirez in. He appears to be the exact opposite of what DiPoto says he wants to do. His OBP is below .300 2 of the last 4 years and under .320 in all but 2 seasons. Marte may not have Ramirez's defense, but I would think improving that would be much easier than changing what Ramirez has been his entire career.

As for Paxton, I'm for trading him if that is what needs to happen. He hasn't been able to put together an injury free season for a while (2013, maybe?). He has shown that he can pitch up here, but that just makes his value higher. I'm not sure Gardner is the answer for CF (he's been more a LF since his 2012 injury), but our OF is so depleted that he'd be out there somewhere.

Ya, Ramirez is a hacker in my opinion. Prefer Marte though we don't know what to expect in his sophomore season.

I deal Paxton if we get a good return. Don't give him away.

I like Gardner for LF. I wasn't hoping for CF. Heck, I would be intrigued by Hicks and Bird and ? for Paxton. Cheaper and more talented, younger players who are MLB ready. Then sign Kazmir or Leake to replace Paxton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this become more likely with the Yankees trading for Aaron Hicks?

I think so because Hicks is a younger, cheaper version of Gardner and Yanks want to cut payroll and add controllable pitching. I would almost be intrigued with a Hicks and Bird and ? for Paxton and ? deal.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so because Hicks is a younger, cheaper version of Gardner and Yanks want to cut payroll and add controllable pitching. I would almost be intrigued with a Hicks and Bird and ? for Paxton and ? deal.

Hicks, Bird & Cole Figueroa for Paxton & Peterson?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hicks, Bird & Cole Figueroa for Paxton & Peterson?

Figueroa doesn't do it for me. 28 and a bench player. For me it would take Ian Clarkin or Gary Sanchez.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Outside of his speed and defense I don't like much of anything about Gardner. Not anymore at least. No doubt in my mind he is unsuccessful in Safeco. Gardner is a Yankee stadium product, more so now than he used to be. In my mind offensively Gardner is barely an upgrade from Miller, barely, and from what I have seen probably in the decline. No doubt he is better defensively and on the bases though. I still think a Miller/ Gardner is a pretty fair comparison of value taking into account money, skill and age.

I am pretty done with Paxton too, but if we are going to trade him it needs to be worth it. For me Gardner isn't worth it financially or for talent level and trading Paxton for him looks really stupid in my eyes. You definitely have a much higher view of Gardner than I do though.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of his speed and defense I don't like much of anything about Gardner. Not anymore at least. No doubt in my mind he is unsuccessful in Safeco. Gardner is a Yankee stadium product, more so now than he used to be. In my mind offensively Gardner is barely an upgrade from Miller, barely, and from what I have seen probably in the decline. No doubt he is better defensively and on the bases though. I still think a Miller/ Gardner is a pretty fair comparison of value taking into account money, skill and age.

I am pretty done with Paxton too, but if we are going to trade him it needs to be worth it. For me Gardner isn't worth it financially or for talent level and trading Paxton for him looks really stupid in my eyes. You definitely have a much higher view of Gardner than I do though.

Gardner from 2010-2015 has the 31st highest WAR of any hitter. Seager is 49th for comparison. Pujols 34th.

As far as Safeco goes, he is actually a .276 hitter which is 7th among stadiums where he has had at least 70 AB's. He is a .264 overall lifetime hitter.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figueroa doesn't do it for me. 28 and a bench player. For me it would take Ian Clarkin or Gary Sanchez.

I thought about Sanchez, but with them just trading away their other young catcher, I wasn't sure it was realistic. Figueroa plays 2B, 3B & SS - and though I don't necessarily see him in the role of a starter, I can see him as the utility IN and he plays good defense and has good OBP throughout MiLB. He's getting a little long in the tooth though....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gardner from 2010-2015 has the 31st highest WAR of any hitter. Seager is 49th for comparison. Pujols 34th.

As far as Safeco goes, he is actually a .276 hitter which is 7th among stadiums where he has had at least 70 AB's. He is a .264 overall lifetime hitter.

I see Gardner as a good fit for Safeco - and would see his power numbers go down, but his BA may go up.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is all fine and dandy I looked at his stats too not really impressed with what he has done lately, very discouraging. The Mariners are trying to field a team for the 2016 season not the 2010 season. What he does in the future should be much more of a concern. Current trends should be more of what you are looking at for a player. Last season he was 71st of all hitters Seager was 39th for comparison.

If he hits with the same approach he did last season it won't be pretty especially if its in Safeco. I would rather keep the little depth we have at SP. Especially after taking into account the money difference. I would probably rather have Austin Jackson than Gardner for next season.