• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Western Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if centers like Whiteside are harder to find and there's no guarantee Russell will pan out?

There's still no guarantee that Whiteside will pan out. Remember, he only has about 1 combined season of NBA experience. There is a reason that Miami was able to get him off the scrap heap and the only reason they did was because they were desperate.

A possible red flag to me would be if Miami were even truly willing to trade him. I'd want to know why. If the reason was that they didn't want to pay him what he'll demand, I'd want to know why they aren't willing to pay him.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching this Suns-Cavs game and wow, Cleveland looks completely different from the first time we played them this year. Obviously they'll need to adjust but they look so disorganized right now.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching this Suns-Cavs game and wow, Cleveland looks completely different from the first time we played them this year. Obviously they'll need to adjust but they look so disorganized right now.

#FireBlatt

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Booker does look solid. I liked him in the draft.

Brandon Knight is such an inefficient player....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Booker has some good size too....now thats a REAL shooting guard right there..

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Booker does look solid. I liked him in the draft.

Brandon Knight is such an inefficient player....

I think he'll be a star in a few years. Looks really good… he can shoot lights out, but I didn't know his ability to score off the drive and pull-up J were this advanced.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll be a star in a few years. Looks really good… he can shoot lights out, but I didn't know his ability to score off the drive and pull-up J were this advanced.
yah i am impressed by how strong he looks- for a guy at age 19 to be able to take some contact like that is very very rare....

I liked Archie Goodwin at KEntucky too...i hope he gets an opportunity to be a rotation guy and get some solid minutes.

whats the deal with TJ Warren? ITs HARD finding a good SF....think he has a chance to be a starting small forward?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no guarantee that he stays unless he's willing to do a sign and trade. Because there are no Bird rights, the Lakers can't offer him any more than anyone else.

Dwight left (thankfully) and the Lakers actually had his Bird rights. I'd rather risk not getting him in FA than risk him not resigning and losing Russell too.
trading Russell for Whiteside would be a disaster---- Me and Turnup talked about this a little the other day- and he thinks the Heat will hang onto Whiteside mostly because no one is going to give them anything ESPECIALLY when he doesnt have Bird rights...no matter what- Whiteside is a free agent next year- he cant even resign before hand unless he takes peanuts... absolutely no point to give up valuable assets to get him- ESPECIALLY if you really believe that LA still means something.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah see.....this is something that you wouldnt know unless yo uwatched the Cavs a lot or read about them a lot.

Say what you will- and you can agree with this or not- but one of the reasons why the Cavs did not like Blatt (and i mean management) is he because he tried to win every single regular season. Now- that might sound crazy- but Blatt would constantly shorten his rotations, and play the Big 3 huge minutes in close games. Because of this he really never put in his own system- because as soon as something didnt work, they would just abandon it.

I expect some growing pains with the Cavs trying to learn and run an actual system- I hope that Lue sticks to his guns, sticks to a 10 man rotation, and if they lose a game here or there that they would have won if they wouldve played just for that game- then so be it....its more important to take some lumps and learn and institute this new system then it is to win every single game they can in the regular season. Its more important to have a deep bench that is in the flow- then shorten your rotation to win an extra game or two and then have guys have less rest, more likely to be injured, and a bench that is stone cold.

ITs the type of stuff that outsiders just wouldnt see- and they see the record and just assume its all good. when that was just not the case.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson, Russell, Randle and Nance Jr aren't going anywhere for a LONG time.
Clarkson? cmon man. you dont want to pay to keep clarkson...save it...combo guards like that are a dime a dozen. much more important to save that cap space.

I think Nance could develop into a solid rotation big.....way too early to make a determination if this guy could be a legit starter at the PF on a night to night basis- but i think its clear he has shown he belongs and should be in just about anyones rotation. Not a bad trade sweetener to have either.

Russell has been impresive to me lately from what i have read and the limited that I have seen outside of highlights. I loved his game at OSU- like someone said earlier- that pocket pass he had as a frosh at OSU...he has a great feel for the game- hes not a great athlete- but neither is kyrie. he is a good enough athlete.

I think Randle is hard to tell on which way he is going to go. Obviously he has shown he can be a very good rebounder. I have read some articles where the analytics guys are not as high on him as his stats show- and its well documented he has no right hand. It doesnt really worry me he is really bad defenisvely at this point- as its rare for a rookie big man to be good defensively (shout out to WCS). Can Randle be a top 10 PF in the NBA at some point down the line 4-5 years from now? Should be interesting. There are things to like, but im not sure...

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's still no guarantee that Whiteside will pan out. Remember, he only has about 1 combined season of NBA experience. There is a reason that Miami was able to get him off the scrap heap and the only reason they did was because they were desperate.

A possible red flag to me would be if Miami were even truly willing to trade him. I'd want to know why. If the reason was that they didn't want to pay him what he'll demand, I'd want to know why they aren't willing to pay him.

Whiteside is probably this summers most intriguing FA.
Who knows how important/valuable Riley thinks he really is?
Plus, Whiteside fits in the category of players who couldn't figure it out, but then thrived once getting into the Heat system.
Is someone going to think they are smarter then Riley and end up with Ike Austin II ?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson? cmon man. you dont want to pay to keep clarkson...save it...combo guards like that are a dime a dozen. much more important to save that cap space.

Clarkson has good value and the Lakers could go over the cap to re-sign him. He could also be good trade bait. I wouldn't want to max him out or really even come close. Maybe $8-12 million per. But if it comes down to keeping him or Russell, I'm keeping Russell. Clarkson is pretty good, but I think he's probably pretty close to his ceiling. Russell has star potential.

I think Randle is hard to tell on which way he is going to go. Obviously he has shown he can be a very good rebounder. I have read some articles where the analytics guys are not as high on him as his stats show- and its well documented he has no right hand. It doesnt really worry me he is really bad defenisvely at this point- as its rare for a rookie big man to be good defensively (shout out to WCS). Can Randle be a top 10 PF in the NBA at some point down the line 4-5 years from now? Should be interesting. There are things to like, but im not sure...

Yeah, he's pretty close to an elite level rebounder and I don't doubt he'll develop in to just that. He's also got excellent handles for a power forward and can pressure defenses because he can go coast to coast. But, his half court offense needs a lot of work. He needs to develop his right hand and he needs more consistency on his mid-range jumper.

I'm hoping that the Lakers will see about having James Worthy work with him a little in the off-season. He has the quickness to be able to use some of Worthy's moves.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteside is probably this summers most intriguing FA.
Who knows how important/valuable Riley thinks he really is?
Plus, Whiteside fits in the category of players who couldn't figure it out, but then thrived once getting into the Heat system.
Is someone going to think they are smarter then Riley and end up with Ike Austin II ?

Yeah, if the Lakers were to end up with him, I think I'd be happy and nervous at the same time. He has all of the tools to be a dominant center and working with Kareem would help refine his offensive game.

But as I've said before, there's a reason that literally everyone passed on him more than once. Also, as you pointed out, what if Miami is just the right spot and the best place for him to succeed?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPURS were pissed I guess.... took it out on the Rockets
Although I read that in the Popovich era, the spurs are something like 10-0 in games following any 30 point losses.

Boban should play more.
That dude actually has some skills and could be another out of nowhere Spurs find.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take the sample size of 1.5 seasons over what Russell has shown.

I won't play the Chauncey Billups card from yesteryear....

But, * See CJ McCollum.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay to early to push the panic button on Russell.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's MY thought on it. Russell should go NO place...

Agreed.

I think your fan base is so used to success that it's hard to be patient.

Imo....pg and sf are the 2 toughest positions to play in the NBA right now.

You gotta grade Russell on the curve when you remember his competition.

A rookie is not gonna look great going against Parker, Paul, Westbrook, Curry, Conley, Wall, Kyrie....just to name a few.