• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Eastern Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I've also taken you're position, but as Trojan pointed out awhile back, that years from now, nobody will remember opponent or circumstance.
They'll just see numbers, and if those numbers are 2/3 losses in the Finals, it wont look good.

What do you think of when you think of Jerry West ?

(... I don't think it is his record in NBA Finals.)

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The Logo
2. Built great Lakers Teams as Gm
3. Helped put together current Warriors roster

Yup ... the first thing people think about is not his 1-8 record in NBA Finals. (Elgin Baylor was 0-8, Wilt Chamberlain was 2-4 -- same as Lebron)

The players who lost the most Finals is dominated by the Lakers ... players who won the most is dominated by the Cs.

It would be interesting to know Jerry's impact on the Warriors roster. One rumor is that he was against the Klay for Love trade -- but I think it is hard to really know behind closed door discussions.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup ... the first thing people think about is not his 1-8 record in NBA Finals. (Elgin Baylor was 0-8, Wilt Chamberlain was 2-4 -- same as Lebron)

The players who lost the most Finals is dominated by the Lakers ... players who won the most is dominated by the Cs.

It would be interesting to know Jerry's impact on the Warriors roster. One rumor is that he was against the Klay for Love trade -- but I think it is hard to really know behind closed door discussions.

610x-1.jpg
Report: Jerry West threatened to resign if Warriors traded Klay Thompson for Kevin Love

Last summer, the Golden State Warriors were in the mix to get Kevin Love out of Minnesota, but Flip Saunders would not back off his asking price — Klay Thompson. A lot of people (myself admittedly included) thought they should pull the trigger.

They didn’t. It was the right move.

Thompson blossomed this season under Steve Kerr, who gave him added responsibilities. Meanwhile the Warriors found the versatile four they needed in Draymond Green.

Who was maybe the most vocal about keeping their shooting guard? Arguably the best shooting guard of all time — Jerry West. The part owner and consultant to the team was ready to walk if ownership pulled the trigger on the deal, reports Chris Ballard in a brilliant piece for Sports Illustrated (his work is almost always must read).

Perhaps West’s biggest contribution came last summer, though, when, along with Kerr, he adamantly opposed a trade centered around Thompson and Love. West argued that trading Thompson would be an enormous mistake. The Warriors were built on defense and Love, while a skilled offensive player, was a subpar defender. What’s more, West was certain Thompson would continue to improve, giving the Warriors a potential Hall of Fame backcourt for the next decade.

West felt so strongly that, according to one person close to the negotiations, he threatened to resign if the team made the trade. Chances are, West wouldn’t have actually done it—that’s just the way he talks—but when the most successful talent evaluator in league history feels that adamantly about something, it’s probably worth listening.

West tends to feel strongly about everything. And he’s right far more often than he’s wrong.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Spurs win it this year he may not even be the third best player on his team (Leonard, Aldridge, Parker).

I think people are truly discounting how impactful Duncan is defensively.
He voluntarily gave away an offensive role to be the team's catalyst on defense.
IMO, he is still the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the league.

He is 2nd in the entire league in Defensive Rating.
He is 1st in defensive box +/- in the entire league.

He is not a ride along player.
The Spurs have only lost 4 games badly all season, and Duncan wasn't active in those games.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He voluntarily gave away an offensive role to be the team's catalyst on defense.
IMO, he is still the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the league.

The Spurs have only lost 4 games badly all season, and Duncan wasn't active in those games.

I agree, Horns. I'm just referencing Duncan in terms of overall production. If you look back at the first meeting between Golden St. and San Antonio (where the Spurs got annihilated in Golden St.), I made reference to the fact that you can't take much from that game given that Duncan was available, and in that game Golden St. was in the paint all night. I even went further in stating that the Spurs title chances rely heavily on Duncan, even if he's no longer the player he once was.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss
Fan Duel bases cost of player by projected stats in every major category.
To hit value, a player needs to score 5 points per $1000 salary.
Example, LeBron usually costs $10,000 so he averages around 50
fantasy points per game.
Now, to put into perspective, Tristan costs $4500, Beasley
costs $4900, and yesterday Whiteside cost $8400.

No wonder you're so quiet on the topic of late.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget about Duncan either. He was a choke job away from being 6-0 in the Finals. Still though, 5-1 ain't bad.

Keep forgetting about him. I agree and if they win this year, he's 6-1 in the finals.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep forgetting about him. I agree and if they win this year, he's 6-1 in the finals.

Pop said yesterday if the Spurs make it back to the Finals he'll keep Duncan off of the roster.:D

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 102301
Report: Jerry West threatened to resign if Warriors traded Klay Thompson for Kevin Love

Last summer, the Golden State Warriors were in the mix to get Kevin Love out of Minnesota, but Flip Saunders would not back off his asking price — Klay Thompson. A lot of people (myself admittedly included) thought they should pull the trigger.

Thompson blossomed this season under Steve Kerr, who gave him added responsibilities. Meanwhile the Warriors found the versatile four they needed in Draymond Green.

Who was maybe the most vocal about keeping their shooting guard? Arguably the best shooting guard of all time — Jerry West. The part owner and consultant to the team was ready to walk if ownership pulled the trigger on the deal, reports Chris Ballard in a brilliant piece for Sports Illustrated (his work is almost always must read).

Perhaps West’s biggest contribution came last summer, though, when, along with Kerr, he adamantly opposed a trade centered around Thompson and Love. West argued that trading Thompson would be an enormous mistake. The Warriors were built on defense and Love, while a skilled offensive player, was a subpar defender. What’s more, West was certain Thompson would continue to improve, giving the Warriors a potential Hall of Fame backcourt for the next decade.

West felt so strongly that, according to one person close to the negotiations, he threatened to resign if the team made the trade. Chances are, West wouldn’t have actually done it—that’s just the way he talks—but when the most successful talent evaluator in league history feels that adamantly about something, it’s probably worth listening.

West tends to feel strongly about everything. And he’s right far more often than he’s wrong.

I remember this

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who's Duncan? i never heard of this duncan guy

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss
Fan Duel bases cost of player by projected stats in every major category.
To hit value, a player needs to score 5 points per $1000 salary.
Example, LeBron usually costs $10,000 so he averages around 50
fantasy points per game.
Now, to put into perspective, Tristan costs $4500, Beasley
costs $4900, and yesterday Whiteside cost $8400.

No wonder you're so quiet on the topic of late.

That boy's a bitch. He stays completely silent when things don't go his way and runs from adversity. Kind of like Lebron.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

If any Team not the Warriors or Spurs win, it would be one of the biggest upsets in NBA history, unless the 2 frontrunners had catastrophic injuries.
GSW is gonna be worn out for a long season last season - a long season of chasing the record this season- and a long playoffs.....

LeBron is RESTING right now- the Cavs will CAKEWALK through the LEast--- and sometime in the middle of June i will take a day or two off work- attend the parade and post-parade coronation of The King- probably get blacked out and wake up in a strange place with a girl well below my standards, throw up in her bathroom- go back to my place and watch sportscenter reruns for hours on end.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop said yesterday if the Spurs make it back to the Finals he'll keep Duncan off of the roster.:D

Classic pop being a genius again.

Its just too risky for a player like Duncan to participate in a Finals. We all know that losing in the Finals is devastating to your legacy. Its just not worth letting that all-important Finals Winning Percentage slip.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GSW is gonna be worn out for a long season last season - a long season of chasing the record this season- and a long playoffs.....

LeBron is RESTING right now- the Cavs will CAKEWALK through the LEast--- and sometime in the middle of June i will take a day or two off work- attend the parade and post-parade coronation of The King- probably get blacked out and wake up in a strange place with a girl well below my standards, throw up in her bathroom- go back to my place and watch sportscenter reruns for hours on end.

Golden State will be just fine. They aren't going to be worn down. These are elite athletes in their primes and don't have near the mileage that Lebron does. What evidence have you seen that Golden State is wearing down?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 102301

How much influence did he have when trading Ellis? If I remember correctly, a decision needed to be made regarding going forward with Ellis or Curry. The man is a genius. Shameful that he couldn't be brought back into the Lakers front office. They do have his son, Ryan, who is sharp and I think has a bright future in management.

Status
Not open for further replies.