• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Eastern Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. They can't do anything special with Whiteside's contract. All they can do is give him 4 years like any other team. I think the only difference is that Miami can give slightly higher raises. It doesn't amount to a huge difference though.

I could be wrong, but I don't even think the Heat could offer that. The Heat could only offer no state tax as well as a clear definition of what his role is on the team (given he's already in that role). He's made mention that he loves Miami, so we'll see.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade's cap hold is $30 mil. Deng's is $13 mil. UD's is $5 mil. The Heat have to decide what to do with these guys before they can sign Whiteside or Johnson. Wade's cap hold is a killer. Riles has a lot of decisions; the main one being Wade.

I think if Bosh has to retire to due to a medical issue, his number comes off the book. I remember when Nash was dealing with his issues with the Lakers, a lot of us wanted him to retire before he played X amount of games so his salary would come of the books. He would still get paid but it wouldn't count towards to the cap.

Wade's is $20 mil, not $30 mil. UD is likely going to retire and Deng is likely going to seek a deal elsewhere given his re-emergence after the AS break.

Bosh, should he retire, will be on the books for a year and it would come off the following season.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade's is $20 mil, not $30 mil. UD is likely going to retire and Deng is likely going to seek a deal elsewhere given his re-emergence after the AS break.

Bosh, should he retire, will be on the books for a year and it would come off the following season.

Agree with all of this. I highly doubt Deng is back last year. Barring some miracle, He's gone

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow. Sounds like they may be headed for the luxury tax if they want to bring this team back as currently constructed.

But the bright side may be determined by Bosh's condition and his decision to either retire or continue to play. If he retires due to health issues they would only be in the luxury tax situation for approximately one season and could avoid setting themselves up for multiple violations in the near future.
you cant just sign guys over the cap and voluntarily go into the Luxury tax like that- it has to be certain moves...

you cant just say--- well I have 80 million on the books- (10 million in cap room for a 90M cap) and sign a guy for 12 million and say- ill just pay lux tax on that 2 million---it doesnt work like that---you CANT go over that hard cap unless you have an exception or make a trade that is uneven in years.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eric Pincus has Wade's cap hold at $30 mil on basketballinsiders.com. Dude knows his numbers but could have this one wrong.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong, but I don't even think the Heat could offer that. The Heat could only offer no state tax as well as a clear definition of what his role is on the team (given he's already in that role). He's made mention that he loves Miami, so we'll see.

@WiggyRuss doesn't get it.
Not everything is black and white with these players.
He doesn't understand they grey.
Deals happen.
Example, Wade could sign cheap next year with the understanding he's getting let's say a 4 year deal in '17 when the cap goes way up.
Then, by year 4, he could go on IR like Pierce is next season and get fully paid without playing a game.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Pincus has Wade's cap hold at $30 mil on basketballinsiders.com. Dude knows his numbers but could have this one wrong.

And if he signs before July 1 (like he will), then what cap hold is there?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deals happen.
Example, Wade could sign cheap next year with the understanding he's getting let's say a 4 year deal in '17 when the cap goes way up.
Then, by year 4, he could go on IR like Pierce is next season and get fully paid without playing a game.
the only problem with that is illegal and nothing like that has happened in the history of the game...other than that it sounds great! lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he signs before July 1 (like he will), then what cap hold is there?
there is no cap hold- he would be on the books for whatever he signed on as. allthough - he cant sign an extension before than anyway so its a moot quesiton

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the cap hold is based on the previous year's salary. Which Wade is currently making $20 mil, if I'm not mistaken.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deals happen.
this "gray" you are talkin about is nothing more than pure and total bullshit.

the last time teams tried to play a game like that - was the TWolves with Joe SMith and they lost 3 first round picks.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only problem with that is illegal and nothing like that has happened in the history of the game...other than that it sounds great! lol.

Which it's hard to prove given that this likely occurs more often than not.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the cap hold is based on the previous year's salary. Which Wade is currently making $20 mil, if I'm not mistaken.
it might be a little more than that but im not sure--- if its more than 20 i wouldnt think its much more though...it might actually be based on the cap to some extent as well......

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the deal that screwed them is Dragic...they dont need him and he makes a ton- you could get a PG that does 90% of what he does for a lot less money and years....

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it be smarter to do a one or two year deal-with a player option on the 2nd year (like LBJ)if he agrees to play at a discount? This way he can opt out and resign for a better deal long term? Also, that might allow him to play longer-while continuing to improve his game and prove he can keep his mind on basketball-thus giving the organization the confidence to pay him market value?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it be smarter to do a one or two year deal-with a player option on the 2nd year (like LBJ)if he agrees to play at a discount? This way he can opt out and resign for a better deal long term? Also, that might allow him to play longer-while continuing to improve his game and prove he can keep his mind on basketball-thus giving the organization the confidence to pay him market value?

With the cap going up significantly in 2017, I'd sign a 1-year 18-20 mil deal if I'm Whiteside. Have another productive year, and bank in '17. However, he's been making peanuts compared to the rest of the league, while having a significantly productive two consecutive seasons. He may not want to take the risk and cash in now - which I certainly can't blame him.

Reactions: LAD

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the deal that screwed them is Dragic...they dont need him and he makes a ton- you could get a PG that does 90% of what he does for a lot less money and years....

You can't find 10 PGs who can give you 18 and 8 on 48% shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.