• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rumor Thread

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we are dreaming, there are about 3-4 Cubs prospects I would love to have. Kris Bryant, Albert Almora and Jorge Soler.

With the Mariners their names are Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak and Jesus Montero...........

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Castro = Wheeler
and Walker = Castro

then Miller = Wheeler?
Which means Miller = Castro, Walker, or Wheeler?

Not gonna happen. Brad Miller doesn't stack up to any of these guys.

Doesn't work that way. If Cubs want Walker over Wheeler, which they might since he is younger (by 3 years) and equally graded, then that deal gets done. The price for Miller goes up with one less young, top SS prospect off the marker which is what Mets would want and not a vet on the downside of his career. Supply and demand and not value vs value.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Insider:

Dan Syzmborski

Time for M’s to answer the A's
" Lee's contract situation likely will make the bidding for him less fierce than that for David Price. Owed a minimum of $37.5 million for one year if his option is not picked up or $52.5 million over two years if it is, it's the type of contract that would scare off a lot of the competition, including teams such as the Royals or Indians, who likely wouldn't be willing to pick up that amount of dough even if they still want to make additions in the next few weeks. You'd likely still lose one of the Mariners' young middle infielders in the trade, but the Phillies would probably value outfielder Austin Wilson's raw upside more than most organizations."​

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Insider:

Dan Syzmborski

Time for M’s to answer the A's
" Lee's contract situation likely will make the bidding for him less fierce than that for David Price. Owed a minimum of $37.5 million for one year if his option is not picked up or $52.5 million over two years if it is, it's the type of contract that would scare off a lot of the competition, including teams such as the Royals or Indians, who likely wouldn't be willing to pick up that amount of dough even if they still want to make additions in the next few weeks. You'd likely still lose one of the Mariners' young middle infielders in the trade, but the Phillies would probably value outfielder Austin Wilson's raw upside more than most organizations."​

I have a friend whos a philly fan, his hate for Ruben Amaro is on par with alot of the hoops posters hate for jacky Z.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a friend whos a philly fan, his hate for Ruben Amaro is on par with alot of the hoops posters hate for jacky Z.
he's systematically destroyed the phillies, so i understand his anger

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are some dumb ass GM's then....

I wouldn't say that. Ramirez can be a good pitcher and he was when he first came up. He had four strikeouts for every walk allowed in 16 games (8 starts) in 2012. His command deserted him last year, cutting that ratio almost in half, and hasn't come back. I don't know what changed between 2012 and last season, but he has the ability to be good if he can get his command back. Maybe a change of scenery will get him back to where he was two years ago. He's only 24, so there's still time for somebody to get him straightened out, but it might not be here where it happens. It's a shame, because he's got good stuff and a promising future two years ago. If some team wants him and thinks they can get him back on the right track, the Mariners should get what they can for him.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30s Several clubs are showing some interest in #Mariners RHP Erasmo Ramirez, who is currently at Triple-A Tacoma.

-----------------------

Trade him! Trade him now!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for us to trade him and then get Noesi'd by him three weeks later.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for us to trade him and then get Noesi'd by him three weeks later.

Ya, I forgot about the Noesi syndrome. I Guess we need to deal him to the National League so we get a 2 year bye from seeing him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
erasmo has tons of potential

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah, i think ramirez will become a solid 4-5 starter eventually

ackley is at best a utility guy

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was excited about him going into this year. He was great in 2012 when they called him up. Injuries slowed him last year and it looks like he lost his confidence and his release point towards the end of last year. I still think he can be a decent pitcher, just needs to gain his command back.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have an out pitch which is always my key of evaluating if a guy has a future. He can get 2 strikes, but can't put them away.

My belief is simple with pitchers: If you have to throw it across the plate to get a strike in the majors, you won't last long.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN:

David Price, SP, Tampa Bay Rays

i

Price is the big fish remaining in the free-agent market, but he'll also be the hardest to land. While the Rays are usually willing to let their highest-salaries players go, their asking price has proven to be more Madison Avenue boutique than thrift store. That said, Price isn't just a three-month rental, as you get the extra year from him and the chance to sign him long term. While it's not completely showing up in his ERA, Price has been truly dominant in a way he hasn't been before, bumping up his strikeout rate roughly 25 percent from his career numbers. Big improvements or declines in strikeout rate for a pitcher likely represent real changes in ability rather than flukes, unlike a category such as hits or homers allowed.
You would almost certainly have to give the Rays their choice of Brad Miller or Nick Franklin and likely Walker, if they're comfortable with his shoulder or a boatload of next-tier prospects if they're not. That's a steep price, but it's one that's hard not to seriously consider. They would have to pay Price a lot to extend him, but that's true of any top pitcher in today's market. Jon Lester, James Shields or Max Scherzer all will get nine-figure contracts this winter, and the teams signing them will have to give up a high draft pick, not to mention pay top dollar from Year 1.

Cliff Lee, SP, Philadelphia Phillies

i

Lee's contract situation likely will make the bidding for him less fierce than that for Price. Owed a minimum of $37.5 million for one year if his option is not picked up or $52.5 million over two years if it is, it's the type of contract that would scare off a lot of the competition, including teams such as the Royals or Indians, who likely wouldn't be willing to pick up that amount of dough even if they still want to make additions in the next few weeks. You'd likely still lose one of the Mariners' young middle infielders in the trade, but the Phillies would probably value outfielder Austin Wilson's raw upside more than most organizations.

Justin Morneau, 1B, Colorado Rockies

i

When trading with the Rockies, the hiccup is generally the willingness of that mountain franchise to move players. For a team wanting to bring in Morneau, the hope is that the Rockies have learned from their experience with Michael Cuddyer, whom they refused to seriously shop last year despite the team being out of the playoff picture and Cuddyer having his best season at age 34. Morneau is having his best season since his first concussion in 2010, and it's one that's not just Coors Field-induced, as he's hitting .303/.337/.487 on the road. You won't land Morneau in a straight-up "Justins" trade -- Justin Smoak is long past the days when he was considered a top prospect -- but Coors is a good enough fit for Smoak that the Rockies might be interested if a lesser prospect in included, someone like catcher Tyler Marlette, given that the franchise is grumpy about starter Wilin Rosario's defense behind the plate.

Josh Willingham, OF, Minnesota Twins

i

The Mariners have a number of 1B/DH types, but the problem is that none of them are all that good. Smoak has been more than disappointing, Corey Hart was an interesting comeback attempt that the Mariners expected too much from, and Logan Morrison is mediocre. Willingham is no superstar, but he's a short-term rental who already has shown the ability to be a homer-heavy option even in a good pitcher's park (Target Field). Plus, he isn't likely to cost an arm or a leg. He can also get on base, something that could prove useful to the Mariners, as (Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager) have used up an egregious number of outs.

Matt Joyce, OF, Rays

i

While Price and Ben Zobrist are the prizes in Tampa's likely sell-off, Price will fetch a gigantic package, and Zobrist doesn't get his maximum value from a team that has decent options in the middle infield. Joyce still has another year of team control, and although he's only a solid regular rather than a giant difference-maker, the Mariners have gotten a 71 OPS+ from their left fielders, a 96 from right field and a 51 out of DH this year, all well below-average at the position. Those are holes that give Joyce the most bang for the buck in Seattle, a sizable upgrade on anybody the Mariners can put out there.
If the Rays want to hang on to Joyce, David DeJesus remains a possible option. DeJesus won't bring much power to the table, but he gets on base and is signed through next year. It would be a nice change of pace for Cano to go to the plate with runners on base.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN:

David Price, SP, Tampa Bay Rays

i

Price is the big fish remaining in the free-agent market, but he'll also be the hardest to land. While the Rays are usually willing to let their highest-salaries players go, their asking price has proven to be more Madison Avenue boutique than thrift store. That said, Price isn't just a three-month rental, as you get the extra year from him and the chance to sign him long term. While it's not completely showing up in his ERA, Price has been truly dominant in a way he hasn't been before, bumping up his strikeout rate roughly 25 percent from his career numbers. Big improvements or declines in strikeout rate for a pitcher likely represent real changes in ability rather than flukes, unlike a category such as hits or homers allowed.
You would almost certainly have to give the Rays their choice of Brad Miller or Nick Franklin and likely Walker, if they're comfortable with his shoulder or a boatload of next-tier prospects if they're not. That's a steep price, but it's one that's hard not to seriously consider. They would have to pay Price a lot to extend him, but that's true of any top pitcher in today's market. Jon Lester, James Shields or Max Scherzer all will get nine-figure contracts this winter, and the teams signing them will have to give up a high draft pick, not to mention pay top dollar from Year 1.

Cliff Lee, SP, Philadelphia Phillies

i

Lee's contract situation likely will make the bidding for him less fierce than that for Price. Owed a minimum of $37.5 million for one year if his option is not picked up or $52.5 million over two years if it is, it's the type of contract that would scare off a lot of the competition, including teams such as the Royals or Indians, who likely wouldn't be willing to pick up that amount of dough even if they still want to make additions in the next few weeks. You'd likely still lose one of the Mariners' young middle infielders in the trade, but the Phillies would probably value outfielder Austin Wilson's raw upside more than most organizations.

Justin Morneau, 1B, Colorado Rockies

i

When trading with the Rockies, the hiccup is generally the willingness of that mountain franchise to move players. For a team wanting to bring in Morneau, the hope is that the Rockies have learned from their experience with Michael Cuddyer, whom they refused to seriously shop last year despite the team being out of the playoff picture and Cuddyer having his best season at age 34. Morneau is having his best season since his first concussion in 2010, and it's one that's not just Coors Field-induced, as he's hitting .303/.337/.487 on the road. You won't land Morneau in a straight-up "Justins" trade -- Justin Smoak is long past the days when he was considered a top prospect -- but Coors is a good enough fit for Smoak that the Rockies might be interested if a lesser prospect in included, someone like catcher Tyler Marlette, given that the franchise is grumpy about starter Wilin Rosario's defense behind the plate.

Josh Willingham, OF, Minnesota Twins

i

The Mariners have a number of 1B/DH types, but the problem is that none of them are all that good. Smoak has been more than disappointing, Corey Hart was an interesting comeback attempt that the Mariners expected too much from, and Logan Morrison is mediocre. Willingham is no superstar, but he's a short-term rental who already has shown the ability to be a homer-heavy option even in a good pitcher's park (Target Field). Plus, he isn't likely to cost an arm or a leg. He can also get on base, something that could prove useful to the Mariners, as (Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager) have used up an egregious number of outs.

Matt Joyce, OF, Rays

i

While Price and Ben Zobrist are the prizes in Tampa's likely sell-off, Price will fetch a gigantic package, and Zobrist doesn't get his maximum value from a team that has decent options in the middle infield. Joyce still has another year of team control, and although he's only a solid regular rather than a giant difference-maker, the Mariners have gotten a 71 OPS+ from their left fielders, a 96 from right field and a 51 out of DH this year, all well below-average at the position. Those are holes that give Joyce the most bang for the buck in Seattle, a sizable upgrade on anybody the Mariners can put out there.
If the Rays want to hang on to Joyce, David DeJesus remains a possible option. DeJesus won't bring much power to the table, but he gets on base and is signed through next year. It would be a nice change of pace for Cano to go to the plate with runners on base.

All interesting choices, but I don't know why Price keeps coming up in these articles. Upgrading the rotation is fine, but the M's need good bats and they're not going to get good bats if they have to use most of their best chips to land Price. Then there's the matter of Price already saying he wouldn't want to stay here beyond next year if he was traded here. Why would you trade your best chips (let's face it... the Rays aren't gonna settle for a grab bag of mid-tier prospects and/or failed major leaguers for Price) for a guy who won't want to stay beyond his current deal (probably necessitating another trade this time next year for less than you gave up to get him) and who plays a position you're not desperate to upgrade in the first place, leaving you with little to trade for something you actually need pretty desperately? The focus should be on hitters first and, if there's enough left over to trade for a solid pitcher, that's even better.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Rays would and wouldn't take I have no idea on. If it is what this guy mentions, then I would easily do it. He says he won't re-up, but that could be a tactic for a new contract. Even if he does leave, you deal him and et some return back on him making up for your loss. Yes we need bats, but they have to be available which we haven't heard there being a lot talked about. Cards are looking for a bat and they have way more to give up then us if the bat was legit. So if you can get Price for Franklin and Walker, I don't think that is irreplaceable. Maybe then you deal Elias and ? for hitting. Ramirez is said to be wanted by teams as well so you have that. We also have bullpen arms to trade and a guy like Price saves our pen much like Kuma and Felix does. I think it has to be looked at like a domino effect. Trade for a stud pitcher freeing you up to deal younger pitching for arms. Then trade Price later for young arm or two next year at deadline if he won't re-sign. Like I have mentioned before, we did this with Lee and never lost anything that we gave up for him. We may have come out slightly better if we can somehow turn Smoak into a player like Morneau in the deal mentioned above. All speculation, but fun to do.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smoak and morneau

hmmmmmm