• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am afraid this article is going to be spot on. The Choo and Fielder contracts will be a weight around our neck for quite some time unless ownership really loosens the purse strings.

I'm not convinced of that.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way to find out is wait and see.

It is a very dangerous gamble that I would have been a lot happier to see the Angels or Mariners take on.

The Yankees can take gambles like this, but a budget conscious team simply cannot.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a very dangerous gamble that I would have been a lot happier to see the Angels or Mariners take on.

The Yankees can take gambles like this, but a budget conscious team simply cannot.

Choo and Fielder will give us some very good years of production. We'll probably end up eating some of both salaries, but if they are part of the team that gets us a ring, it's all worth it. I still think this team will spend more money. They just won't be stupid about it like the Angels. They're certainly not budget conscious like the A's. The Cubs spend shit tons of money and have less than nothing to show for it. This club will spend money, but they'll be smarter about it.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here. just got to figure that JD has some trades up his sleeve and nobody is untouchable for the right deal
This week leading up to it could be pretty interesting. Obviously we don't need a winter meeting to get trades consummated. Come on JD, throw us a bone.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo and Fielder will give us some very good years of production. We'll probably end up eating some of both salaries, but if they are part of the team that gets us a ring, it's all worth it. I still think this team will spend more money. They just won't be stupid about it like the Angels. They're certainly not budget conscious like the A's. The Cubs spend shit tons of money and have less than nothing to show for it. This club will spend money, but they'll be smarter about it.

I think the last 4 years of each will look very bad when you compare production and stats. Before that who knows. To me the best situation that can unfold will be for Choo to have a very good 2015 and allow us to trade him sometime in the next 12 months. Between that and the influx of very good young, cheap talent we can survive the bad years from Fielder since we no longer have a manager who would continue to play Fielder no matter how bad he is and for no matter how long.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This week leading up to it could be pretty interesting. Obviously we don't need a winter meeting to get trades consummated. Come on JD, throw us a bone.

All in due time my friend.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Bowden on a potential 3 way trade:

Texas Rangers | New York Mets | Atlanta Braves

Rangers acquire: Justin Upton from Atlanta

Justin Upton would be a perfect fit for the Texas Rangers.
The Rangers desperately need another big right-handed bat to put in the middle of the lineup behind Adrian Beltre and Prince Fielder, and Upton would be the perfect fit. The Rangers could then move Shin-Soo Choo back to right field, where he at least gets some better jumps and angles. The Rangers and Braves really don’t match up well on a deal, but get the Mets involved and the three teams could help each other. The Rangers' depth in the middle infield with Elvis Andrus, Jurickson Profar, Luis Sardinas and Rougned Odor make this deal possible.

Mets acquire: Elvis Andrus and $10 million from Texas

Andrus is one of the better defensive shortstops in baseball, and has above-average range to both sides. His positive attitude and energy would fit in perfectly in the Mets' clubhouse, and his defense would really help with run prevention for one of the best young rotations in baseball. The Mets would become pretty special defensively with him at shortstop and Golden Glove winner Juan Lagares in center field. Of course, the Mets would have to absorb close to $15 million per year through 2022 and/or have the risk of him opting out after the 2018 and 2019 seasons. However, if the Rangers agree to chip in $2 million a year for the next five years of the contract, the price would probably become close to acceptable for the defense and character they’d be getting back in the deal.

Braves acquire: Noah Syndergaard from New York; Michael Choice from Texas

The Braves are building for the opening of their new stadium in 2017, and a deal like this -- with the future in mind more than the present -- would make sense. They’ve already dealt Jason Heyward to the Cardinals for Shelby Miller and this deal would follow in those footsteps. As was the case with Heyward, the Braves control Upton for only one more season, and it doesn’t appear likely they’ll be able to extend him. Therefore, they’d be trading one year of Upton for six control years of Syndergaard. Syndergaard, 22, is considered a top-of-the-rotation type of starter, and would give the Braves a solid young staff, as he would be joining Julio Teheran, Miller, Alex Wood, Mike Minor and Brandon Beachy. The Braves could ask the Rangers to throw Choice into the deal with hopes that his hitting and power tools will eventually surface at the major league level. The deal would leave the Braves scrambling for outfielders, but at least give them two years to figure that out before the new stadium opens. Remember, the Braves have always been about their starting rotation, and it’s time they put the focus back where it belongs.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find a way to throw in Jon Niese from the Mets too. Upton and Niese would be a great haul in a trade. The Mets are trying to trade him and Gee. I'm not interested in Gee but would love to have Niese.