• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just saw a story on Yahoo that Darvish may be having TJ surgery and will miss the entire 2015 season

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it. Let's roll with the youth and see what we end up with.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it. Let's roll with the youth and see what we end up with.

Yep. If we have great scouting and a nice farm system then no better way to put it to the test(within reason of course) when things like this happen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Yu Darvish might have surgery, could miss season | Dallas Morning News

There are veterans available. Chris Young, who had a strong bounce back season for Seattle last year, is a free agent. The New York Mets have been willing to listen to offers for Dillon Gee, a former UT-Arlington star.

The Rangers will first look at Nick Tepesch, who was hit hard in his spring debut on Friday, Nick Martinez, Lisalverto Bonilla and former first-round pick Alex “Chi-Chi” Gonzalez.

Why care?

If Darvish is indeed done for the season, so are our "let's win it all" attitude. Even for the most optimistic.

So why sign a veteran and sink squat into the rotation, at least today?

Right now we've got options to fill a starters - Ranaudo/Tep/Martinez - role anyway. It's not like someone is going to fill our # 1 starters position to begin with is it?

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why care?

If Darvish is indeed done for the season, so are our "let's win it all" attitude. Even for the most optimistic.

So why sign a veteran and sink squat into the rotation, at least today?

Right now we've got options to fill a starters - Ranaudo/Tep/Martinez - role anyway. It's not like someone is going to fill our # 1 starters position to begin with is it?

Well there is a business aspect to this and what your fans perceive and what/how you sell to the fans so they can buy tickets and attend games. They still want to offer hope to the fans for at least part of the season so they can sell as many tickets as possible.

I'm not saying I want the veteran by any means but ownership and many of the folks running the business side of things are certainly conscious of these things.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only chance this team has is to trade for someone like Hamels or Lee, and I just don't see that happening.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there is a business aspect to this and what your fans perceive and what/how you sell to the fans so they can buy tickets and attend games. They still want to offer hope to the fans for at least part of the season so they can sell as many tickets as possible.

I'm not saying I want the veteran by any means but ownership and many of the folks running the business side of things are certainly conscious of these things.

Point taken....loud and clear. I do get it for sure.

But the fans - you/me/us - will all except/understand the fact of what we had (Darvish #1) and what we are now dealing with is Holland is our bell-cow. And that isn't good.

Regardless of how I may not be as high on Yu as some, I do understand how important he is to our team. I also understand that although I may not think he's a top 5 pitcher in the game; I do THINK he's a top 10-12 pitcher and he could become one of the best in the game.

Like Romeo said.....let's get the surgery tomorrow. Get him rehabbed and well. Get him back on the mound by mid-season 2016 and then let's move forward.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken....loud and clear. I do get it for sure.

But the fans - you/me/us - will all except/understand the fact of what we had (Darvish #1) and what we are now dealing with is Holland is our bell-cow. And that isn't good.

Regardless of how I may not be as high on Yu as some, I do understand how important he is to our team. I also understand that although I may not think he's a top 5 pitcher in the game; I do THINK he's a top 10-12 pitcher and he could become one of the best in the game.

Like Romeo said.....let's get the surgery tomorrow. Get him rehabbed and well. Get him back on the mound by mid-season 2016 and then let's move forward.

Hell, if he got the surgery tomorrow he should be back on the mound next May. That said, what pitchers would you put in front of him? Scherzer, Kershaw, Bumgarner, Hernandez.... Who else? I think he's probably fringe top 5.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't expect Harry back, period.

Even Harry himself isn't really super high on his chances ever being able to pitch again when you hear him interviewed about it.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really doubt many fans will get excited no matter which unemployed veteran they bring in at this point. If they had signed Young I really don't see how that would have made anyone go out and buy tickets who isn't already. The knowledgeable fans know that without Darvish we certainly aren't going anywhere and the less knowledgeable fans don't know the difference between a fringe veteran pitcher and our best pitching prospects. That is how I see it anyway.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not. Good money (or prospects) after bad. When is Harry expected to be ready to return full time?
Perez by July and I expect him to get some starts especially now.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm NOT rating guys "necessarily" in front of him. It's more of a "neighborhood kind-of-thing." Wainwright, Sales, Hamels, etc.

For 2015, I wouldn't trade a lot to get, even a lot, back. The risks are just to great and it doesn't alleviate any of our concerns re: Choo, Prince, EA, etc. for this season.

I went/am going into 2015 with a cautiously-optimistically attitude, and I'm still there.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm NOT rating guys "necessarily" in front of him. It's more of a "neighborhood kind-of-thing." Wainwright, Sales, Hamels, etc.

For 2015, I wouldn't trade a lot to get, even a lot, back. The risks are just to great and it doesn't alleviate any of our concerns re: Choo, Prince, EA, etc. for this season.

I went/am going into 2015 with a cautiously-optimistically attitude, and I'm still there.

That doesn't really answer my question. You said Darvish might be a top 10-12 pitcher in baseball. Who are the 10 guys you put in front of him?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do THINK he's a top 10-12 pitcher and he could become one of the best in the game.

That doesn't really answer my question. You said Darvish might be a top 10-12 pitcher in baseball. Who are the 10 guys you put in front of him?

As you can see from my post I said....I do THINK (see above).

I look at pitchers for not only what they've accomplished, but the potential upside as well and think there's a bunch of guys like Fister, Strasbrug, SALE/WAINWRIGHT, Alvarez, Greinke, Zimmerman who'd I'd mention in the same sentence with Yu.

It's not a knock on Darvish. Did you think this is what I was saying? Wasn't what I was trying to do anyway.