• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your opinion, how'd that experiment go with Profar last year?

It seemed like when he played a position he was comfortable with -2B, SS- he had better ABs than he did when he was playing ones he wasn't as familiar with- OF, DH. I bet the splits would verify that. Personally, I think it hurt him a lot more than it helped. I look for him to have a much better season now that he has a well defined every day role. IMO young players need consistency when they are first brought up- their head is already all over the place with just being in the show.

Here are the splits: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=profaju01&year=&t=b#defp

Seems to pretty much agree with what I said.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His best two averages are at 2B and SS. But SS is significantly better than any. Great at PH though.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed like when he played a position he was comfortable with -2B, SS- he had better ABs than he did when he was playing ones he wasn't as familiar with- OF, DH. I bet the splits would verify that. Personally, I think it hurt him a lot more than it helped. I look for him to have a much better season now that he has a well defined every day role. IMO young players need consistency when they are first brought up- their head is already all over the place with just being in the show.

Here are the splits: Jurickson Profar 2013 Batting Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

Seems to pretty much agree with what I said.

"Defined roll...hurt more than it helped......young players need consistency."

I think the FO is a bunch - not one - of pretty intelligent fellas. My bet is they learn, and use the information for bettering the organization long run.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the FO is a bunch - not one - of pretty intelligent fellas. My bet is they learn, and use the information for bettering the organization long run.
Pretty much right on. Hope they do not use Choice the same way unless he's a Trout and I doubt that.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For sure they are... they know this stuff much better than I. Otherwise, I would be on payroll :) - I wish. Sometimes I think players make it tough. Lets not forget how good Profar was filling in for Kinsler last season. He earned that spot, unfortunately it didn't work out as well when Kins returned but with Berkman being down we didn't have a ton of other options. Choice could do something similar in SP making a a much tougher call or we could have some injuries that would require him to be called up. It's best for him and the club that he gets everyday playing time but there are certain situations that could arise where they risk not taking that approach.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right on all fronts. But it hasn't proven out to be a sound philosophy over time IMO.

Initially, I was in favor of it. But in reality, we've seen that producing from a strictly hitting position is extremely difficult. Much more so than was envisioned. Plus, the players DH are more like MM than not. Where's the stars?

But my question remains, "what would be the problem with having several people fill the roll?" A true DH hasn't proven to be all that efficient if my memory serves.

You are right as the original intent of the DH has disappeared. There are some like Ortiz who have done well at it but we really do not have anyone who truly fits the DH role. Someone who loves to hit and would be glad just to get their ABs. But then again most teams don't.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure they are... they know this stuff much better than I. Otherwise, I would be on payroll :) - I wish. Sometimes I think players make it tough. Lets not forget how good Profar was filling in for Kinsler last season. He earned that spot, unfortunately it didn't work out as well when Kins returned but with Berkman being down we didn't have a ton of other options. Choice could do something similar in SP making a a much tougher call or we could have some injuries that would require him to be called up. It's best for him and the club that he gets everyday playing time but there are certain situations that could arise where they risk not taking that approach.
How do you feel about Hanson getting a ML contract?:noidea:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that excited but at least it is for just $2 mill. It would be awesome if he was mentally and physically back and pitched like he did his first few years with the Braves. He was highly thought of back then. But we shall see.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right as the original intent of the DH has disappeared. There are some like Ortiz who have done well at it but we really do not have anyone who truly fits the DH role. Someone who loves to hit and would be glad just to get their ABs. But then again most teams don't.

I would also say guys like Dunn, Vmart, Mauer (might play some 1B though), Morales, Carter,Encarnacion, and Bulter fit the mold pretty well. Although some of them like Dunn and Carter SO a ton and are really just pure power guys. But that's only like half of the teams in the AL-so the rest of the teams in league pretty much have this non-traditional style DH thing going on. I think its great if the DH can do other things but like you both have mentioned, the DH really should be one of your top bats.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also say guys like Dunn, Vmart, Mauer (might play some 1B though), Morales, Carter,Encarnacion, and Bulter fit the mold pretty well. Although some of them like Dunn and Carter SO a ton and are really just pure power guys. But that's only like half of the teams in the AL-so the rest of the teams in league pretty much have this non-traditional style DH thing going on. I think its great if the DH can do other things but like you both have mentioned, the DH really should be one of your top bats.

One reason I would not mind Morales. He can hit and would probably be just fine with his role being a DH and he is a switch hitter. I think he could do some damage here in Arlington.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to sure yet. I can tell you that Hanson doesn't excite me too much and I would have preferred it to be a minor league deal b/c now I think they will have to make room for him on the roster. I think we still may have better options internally in Tepsch, Ross, or even Lewis. But who knows Maddux is great pitching coach and maybe he can find a way to get Hanson back to where he once was. If that ends up being the case- it would be a great deal especially for a #5 starter. I think they will find a place for him in the pen, maybe the long guy, if he doesn't get the 5 spot though.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One reason I would not mind Morales. He can hit and would probably be just fine with his role being a DH and he is a switch hitter. I think he could do some damage here in Arlington.

I would love to have him as well but he's probably at least going to command $10M per season (likely more) and it looks like we are already going to hit record payroll numbers without him. Not to mention we would have to give a top pick to a division rival. So I would say its a long shot we even make an offer. If it were my choice, I would go it with either him or Cruz on a 1 or 2 year deal- mostly because with the new signings we need to try to win now more than later IMO. We might actually be in a situation where not too far in the future we will have too many traditional style DH's- Beltre, Choo, Fielder. Of course you could argue that as totally being a reason not to sign either.