• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely needs to find his stroke. If JD has designated him to start, does that mean Choice goes to AAA to be ready in case Mitch bombs. Choice needs to be in AAA playing if he can't play. IMO

The way I see it Choice is probably better off at AAA getting to play everyday. However I think if he comes out and rakes in ST he's on the 25 man. Pretty much the same argument as with Profar last year, except in this case, 4th OF/DH or play in AAA everyday.

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope Choice is stud. Not only could we use a young power hitter that under is control for a while, I really liked Gentry and he really looked like he figured some things out at the plate by then end of last season. I can see him having a good season for the A's- yuck.

But barring injuries to the A's OF he's going to be a 4th OF for them as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really feel that statement sums up the last season and a half. The runners were on base many times and just unable to score. Even Beltre had his problems with risp last year. Pretty much a team effort. Lets hope the addition of Choo and Prince help get us out of that rut. It got old real fast.
You are so right about RISP. That was not just a Mitch problem. More like a team effort.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it Choice is probably better off at AAA getting to play everyday. However I think if he comes out and rakes in ST he's on the 25 man. Pretty much the same argument as with Profar last year, except in this case, 4th OF/DH or play in AAA everyday.
I think so too.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude it really looks to me like we've got MM from the left and possibly a platoon with Choice or who knows from the right.
I believe that if MM was going to be traded he would already be a Pirate or a Brewer. I think JD is sticking with him for what he's going to give the team based on the low salary, purely economics. As for Cruz vs Morales. Morales would seem to be the better fit purely as a DH.

I agree, I don't think he is going to be traded and keeping him one of the best economical options we have. After looking at where payroll already stands, I would be shocked if we were even in talks with Cruz or Morales. I'm a little bit of a Cruz homer too, so it is no fun to type that at all.

In the end, I guess it will depend how everything goes in Spring. It's very possible that Choice rakes in SP and earns a spot in the lineup or perhaps even some other sleeper. I really don't look for that to happen though and if I remember correctly Moreland tends to have pretty good Springs. Presuming I am correct, I think, at first, Moreland will likely be given the everyday DH job and it will be his to lose. If he numbers start to slip vs. lefties, I can totally see it moving to a platoon between either he and Choice or maybe some sleeper like Chirinos who I think someone was saying had an amazing show of power recently in some fall league. Jim Adduci is another possibility.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are so right about RISP. That was not just a Mitch problem. More like a team effort.

What really pissed me off was getting guys on 3rd with less than 2 outs. You'd think Magadan is telling the whole team that sac flies are a waste of an out! I almost never saw sac flies last year... Usually a strike out, line drive at an infielder or a pop out.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What really pissed me off was getting guys on 3rd with less than 2 outs. You'd think Magadan is telling the whole team that sac flies are a waste of an out! I almost never saw sac flies last year... Usually a strike out, line drive at an infielder or a pop out.

Crawler probably has a point here, I've noticed the same thing, the numbers are pretty damning, its not the only when we're behind argument but high leverage situations Mitch has always been really bad

.800 Career OPS when batting while ahead, .670 when behind

Mitch Moreland Career Batting Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dude it really looks to me like we've got MM from the left and possibly a platoon with Choice or who knows from the right.
I believe that if MM was going to be traded he would already be a Pirate or a Brewer. I think JD is sticking with him for what he's going to give the team based on the low salary, purely economics. As for Cruz vs Morales. Morales would seem to be the better fit purely as a DH.

Someone might have commented already before I post this ... but it is very unlikely for Choice to be the RH DH. Just too few ABs for a rookie. He needs to be at AAA playing every day. Worst thing TEX can do to a rookie is to put him in a platoon especially if he's a RH bat.

If you have to platoon your DH ... you got the wrong guy as your DH.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone might have commented already before I post this ... but it is very unlikely for Choice to be the RH DH. Just too few ABs for a rookie. He needs to be at AAA playing every day. Worst thing TEX can do to a rookie is to put him in a platoon especially if he's a RH bat.

If you have to platoon your DH ... you got the wrong guy as your DH.

Moreland is actually solid against LHPs for a LHH, its RHPs he doesn't hit well enough against

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You were pissed off a lot then and even more-so the prior year I would think

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree, I don't think he is going to be traded and keeping him one of the best economical options we have. After looking at where payroll already stands, I would be shocked if we were even in talks with Cruz or Morales. I'm a little bit of a Cruz homer too, so it is no fun to type that at all.

In the end, I guess it will depend how everything goes in Spring. It's very possible that Choice rakes in SP and earns a spot in the lineup or perhaps even some other sleeper. I really don't look for that to happen though and if I remember correctly Moreland tends to have pretty good Springs. Presuming I am correct, I think, at first, Moreland will likely be given the everyday DH job and it will be his to lose. If he numbers start to slip vs. lefties, I can totally see it moving to a platoon between either he and Choice or maybe some sleeper like Chirinos who I think someone was saying had an amazing show of power recently in some fall league. Jim Adduci is another possibility.

Funny ... you didn't mention Engle Beltre. Assuming TEX does not sign Cruz ... we may see a replay of Julio Borbon 2013's April ... in this case either Engle Beltre tears it up and becomes the 4OF ... or Adduci gets the 4OF and Beltre the 5OF until TEX can trade him. Having a guy without options on your 25man who has never been an every day player at the MLB level chokes the roster up.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny ... you didn't mention Engle Beltre. Assuming TEX does not sign Cruz ... we may see a replay of Julio Borbon 2013's April ... in this case either Engle Beltre tears it up and becomes the 4OF ... or Adduci gets the 4OF and Beltre the 5OF until TEX can trade him. Having a guy without options on your 25man who has never been an every day player at the MLB level chokes the roster up.

Difference is that Beltre is a good defender and Borbon was not

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland is actually solid against LHPs for a LHH, its RHPs he doesn't hit well enough against

They guy has a lot of potential, however as it has been mentioned a few times here he has had injury issues and long slumps throughout the last few years. His at bat vs I believe Jonathan Sanchez in the 2010 WS game 3 was one of the best AB's I think he's had and that was on a huge stage. The guy can hit, it just seems like he loses focus for some reason after missing significant time. He has delivered decent power numbers as far as HR's even while missing time the past few seasons, needs to cut down the swings and misses and up his OBP but that can be said of lots of guys. Not sure he is the answer at DH but that is what I believe the team has for 2014 and he will be getting the majority of the AB's there for the year barring a change personnel i would think

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is that Beltre is a good defender and Borbon was not

Hope we move Beltre for something decent vs losing him outright to lack of options like Borbon. While I agree E Beltre is the better defender and think his bat is plus vs Borbon I would question where he fits on the current roster going forward w/o a lot of power, being Martin is here for more years and Choo signed for a 7 year deal. Think there is an option year for Rios still as well, so could be a 4th OF like Gentry for a couple years I guess if he is doesn't end up optioned at some point

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't know if I like the sound of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope we move Beltre for something decent vs losing him outright to lack of options like Borbon. While I agree E Beltre is the better defender and think his bat is plus vs Borbon I would question where he fits on the current roster going forward w/o a lot of power, being Martin is here for more years and Choo signed for a 7 year deal. Think there is an option year for Rios still as well, so could be a 4th OF like Gentry for a couple years I guess if he is doesn't end up optioned at some point

Been discussed, Beltre isn't going to help fetch much back in return even in a package deal and actually serves this team much more at the time due to his ability to play defense and pinch run in late game situations

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who is right ... T.R. Sullivan or John Heyman?

Rangers, Tommy Hanson agree to Minor League deal | texasrangers.com: News

T.R. was pretty clear that it was a minor league deal and it is too soon for the TEX website to reflect the Hanson transaction but if it is a ML deal ... that means someone's going to get bumped off the 40-man to make room for him.

Vestiges of Jason Jennings whose signing about this time in 2008 bumped Armando Galarraga to a DFA. Can't get Galarraga this time ... he's not on the 40-man.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is right ... T.R. Sullivan or John Heyman?

Rangers, Tommy Hanson agree to Minor League deal | texasrangers.com: News

T.R. was pretty clear that it was a minor league deal and it is too soon for the TEX website to reflect the Hanson transaction but if it is a ML deal ... that means someone's going to get bumped off the 40-man to make room for him.

Vestiges of Jason Jennings whose signing about this time in 2008 bumped Armando Galarraga to a DFA. Can't get Galarraga this time ... he's not on the 40-man.

I hope T.R. is right.