• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Been discussed, Beltre isn't going to help fetch much back in return even in a package deal and actually serves this team much more at the time due to his ability to play defense and pinch run in late game situations

Beltre the last piece of the Eric Gagne trade may get a roster spot due to being out of options although I prefer Jim Adduci who in addition to playing all OF spots can also play 1b ... and has Gentry speed.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre the last piece of the Eric Gagne trade may get a roster spot due to being out of options although I prefer Jim Adduci who in addition to playing all OF spots can also play 1b ... and has Gentry speed.

Maybe Beltre will come up with a mysterious trip to the DL.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what David Schoenfield at ESPN had to say when addressing some players position moves:

Rangers: Center field to left field
Choo had been a right fielder with the Indians and then played center for the Reds. He had a huge year offensively but showed a lack of range in center. The Rangers will wisely move him back to a corner slot, with Leonys Martin in center. Even then, Choo may prove to be a below-average defender as his metrics in right field in 2012 were not good (minus-12 DRS).

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what David Schoenfield at ESPN had to say when addressing some players position moves:

Rangers: Center field to left field
Choo had been a right fielder with the Indians and then played center for the Reds. He had a huge year offensively but showed a lack of range in center. The Rangers will wisely move him back to a corner slot, with Leonys Martin in center. Even then, Choo may prove to be a below-average defender as his metrics in right field in 2012 were not good (minus-12 DRS).
He will contribute more with his bat but will most likely be fine in LF. Just my opinion. Time will tell.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TR wrote that yesterday. Heyman came out today and said he was wrong yesterday and that it's a major league contract.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone might have commented already before I post this ... but it is very unlikely for Choice to be the RH DH. Just too few ABs for a rookie. He needs to be at AAA playing every day. Worst thing TEX can do to a rookie is to put him in a platoon especially if he's a RH bat.

If you have to platoon your DH ... you got the wrong guy as your DH.

The DH, overall, has not been the boon it was envisioned to be way back when IMO. What would be the problem with having MM DH 400 AB there, and then rotate whomever we're resting - Beltre, Fielder, etc - the rest of the way?

I don't want Choice anywhere close to a part time DH/LF/RF etc this season. Period. Put him in AAA and see how he does and what plays out in Arlington.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen Adduci run, he doesn't have Gentry speed, then again, most people don't

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will contribute more with his bat but will most likely be fine in LF. Just my opinion. Time will tell.

Well, he wasn't great in RF and he pretty much sucked in CF. So I guess it's LF or else and I don't now what or else even means. hahaha But seriously, I'm pretty comfortable with him out there on an everyday basis. He's not going to be great, but then again, having a permanent position may help some too.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny ... you didn't mention Engle Beltre. Assuming TEX does not sign Cruz ... we may see a replay of Julio Borbon 2013's April ... in this case either Engle Beltre tears it up and becomes the 4OF ... or Adduci gets the 4OF and Beltre the 5OF until TEX can trade him. Having a guy without options on your 25man who has never been an every day player at the MLB level chokes the roster up.

Yeah, I didn't mention him because even if somehow he breaks out offensively this season, if he is in the lineup I don't see him at DH. He is just to valuable in the field. If you are going to have him in the lineup, you might as well have him in the OF stealing hits and runs from your opponent. Also, he just hasn't shown a a threatening enough bat to warrant being the DH. Honestly, no one I listed including Moreland has IMO but he probably comes the closest. I don't think the Rangers have had a true DH since Vladdy.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is weird bc he used to be above average in RF for a couple seasons when he first came up, and then he just started being bad around 2012, and then the Reds decided CF would be a good idea...

With Cruz the reason is obvious if you've watched him play: 1) he's scared of overdoing it and hurting himself due to his numerous lower leg injuries (quad, hamstring, ankle) over the years, 2) Any lost ability to said injuries over time, 3) not to mention any natural regression due to age (not injury)

All of which can also be seen in his declining activity on the basepaths

Choo is still a good baserunner and doesn't have that same issue right now, so I wonder what it is... lack of effort?

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DH, overall, has not been the boon it was envisioned to be way back when IMO. What would be the problem with having MM DH 400 AB there, and then rotate whomever we're resting - Beltre, Fielder, etc - the rest of the way?

I don't want Choice anywhere close to a part time DH/LF/RF etc this season. Period. Put him in AAA and see how he does and what plays out in Arlington.

I may be wrong but if I recall when the DH came in to being it had more to do with getting older stars who could no longer play in the field at a high level a way to stay in the game. Plus it gave fans the chance to continue seeing those players. Plus they brought fans to the ballpark.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be wrong but if I recall when the DH came in to being it had more to do with getting older stars who could no longer play in the field at a high level a way to stay in the game. Plus it gave fans the chance to continue seeing those players. Plus they brought fans to the ballpark.

I think you're right on all fronts. But it hasn't proven out to be a sound philosophy over time IMO.

Initially, I was in favor of it. But in reality, we've seen that producing from a strictly hitting position is extremely difficult. Much more so than was envisioned. Plus, the players DH are more like MM than not. Where's the stars?

But my question remains, "what would be the problem with having several people fill the roll?" A true DH hasn't proven to be all that efficient if my memory serves.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed on both the DH and Choice but I think its possible they give Choice a Bench spot...only because they did it with Profar and also because we really don't have too much of a bench right now. I hope not though... he needs everyday playing time. I guess we are good on OF though with Aducci and Beltre though.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on both the DH and Choice but I think its possible they give Choice a Bench spot...only because they did it with Profar and also because we really don't have too much of a bench right now. I hope not though... he needs everyday playing time. I guess we are good on OF though with Aducci and Beltre though.

True, I don't really care who it is between Adduci and Beltre long run, as long as the best player wins (I think both are out of options)

Choice needs to be everyday in AAA until he proves he can play everyday here, so we'll probably see him get a couple chances as the year progresses

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is weird bc he used to be above average in RF for a couple seasons when he first came up, and then he just started being bad around 2012, and then the Reds decided CF would be a good idea...

With Cruz the reason is obvious if you've watched him play: 1) he's scared of overdoing it and hurting himself due to his numerous lower leg injuries (quad, hamstring, ankle) over the years, 2) Any lost ability to said injuries over time, 3) not to mention any natural regression due to age (not injury)

All of which can also be seen in his declining activity on the basepaths

Choo is still a good baserunner and doesn't have that same issue right now, so I wonder what it is... lack of effort?
Maybe effort maybe concentration. For sure we will know more soon.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In your opinion, how'd that experiment go with Profar last year?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TR wrote that yesterday. Heyman came out today and said he was wrong yesterday and that it's a major league contract.
Too soon in my opinion.:scratch: This guy needs to prove he can still perform.