• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn it! I'm not the greatest on the computer but I thought I'd given you a good word there. I went all over the place there and apparently JMT had it right; wait on Fordman.

No worries. I appreciate the help though.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries. I appreciate the help though.
seems like one way to do it would be to change your email to one you don't really use and then just make a new account with the email that you use more often. Then you could set up a new user name at least and then you could just abandon this account and use the new one.

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like one way to do it would be to change your email to one you don't really use and then just make a new account with the email that you use more often. Then you could set up a new user name at least and then you could just abandon this account and use the new one.

Nah, if Fordman says it can't be done then I'll probably just stay with what I've got.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt. It's been something every year. He looked lost after he came back last year and for whatever reason couldn't play his way out of the slump. He does have the tools to be a very good hitter with power and for the sake of the Rangers I would like to see him put it together.

I know I sound like a huge MM fan. That's not the case. I'm for whoever can make this team better and a solid year from MM will make this team better.

For the last three years in the month of September Moreland has all but disappeared. 3 HRs & 4 RBI's.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe MM is as bad as most people make him out to be. Mitch has had 1 full season where he was given the starting job on a daily basis. His biggest problem has been staying healthy. Since 2010 he has 1560 plate appearances. Average for a 162 game season breaks out to 253/318/440 with 23 HR's and 68 rbis. For the money it would take to sign Morales or resign Cruz, I feel MM needs to be given this year as more or less his last chance as a Ranger. A lot of players take 3 or 4 years to find their groove and just maybe MM fits into that category. Just hope he can stay healthy to see what we can get out of him in a full season.

Anybody know what his numbers are after the allstar break since he became the starter. Thats were he killed us last year.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know what his numbers are after the allstar break since he became the starter. Thats were he killed us last year.
Across the board we failed w/RISP. Certainly a team effort. Moreland was just a part of the problem.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody believes me, but in the games I watched, the vast majority of Morelands extra base hits and RBIs came when the game was no longer in doubt.... (8-1 score either way). To address your earlier comment Painter, I place most of the blame for last seasons offense at the feet of David Murphy. The guy was trying to earn a contract and just fell flat on his face. Wash did the same thing with Murph as he did with Michael Young in his last year as a Ranger..... Insert him into the lineup every day despite the numbers clearly saying you should bench or replace the guy. I'm not a big Wash hater, but he needs to quit falling in love with "his guys" and ride the hot bat at the time. Nelson Cruz also deserves some of the blame for not appealing his suspension. Had he appealed, the Rangers would've at a minimum won a spot in the wildcard game.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody believes me, but in the games I watched, the vast majority of Morelands extra base hits and RBIs came when the game was no longer in doubt.:L... (8-1 score either way). To address your earlier comment Painter, I place most of the blame for last seasons offense at the feet of David Murphy. The guy was trying to earn a contract and just fell flat on his face. Wash did the same thing with Murph as he did with Michael Young in his last year as a Ranger..... Insert him into the lineup every day despite the numbers clearly saying you should bench or replace the guy. I'm not a big Wash hater, but he needs to quit falling in love with "his guys" and ride the hot bat at the time. Nelson Cruz also deserves some of the blame for not appealing his suspension. Had he appealed, the Rangers would've at a minimum won a spot in the wildcard game.
You make a good point about Murphy but the Moreland RBIS and hits is absurd.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a good point about Murphy but the Moreland RBIS and hits is absurd.

Maybe it is but I actually tend agree with him. Only reason I say that I don't know how many times I would be watching a close game with Moreland having an opportunity to help and he would fail and then when the game was no longer in doubt he would crank one. But that is just my perception of it.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's true. It looks like at the moment that is going to be up to Rios or possibly Moreland. I'm like you, I prefer Cruz there or even Morales but now that I look where we are on payroll and all of the loose ends on smaller contracts we still have, its hard to see them doing anything realistically, even on a team friendly deal. I hope I'm wrong though. It just seems like the FO is sending every signal it can that MM is the DH and he is going to get one last shot in the starting lineup. I think Choice is their backup if that doesn't pan out.

"I think Choice is their backup if that doesn't pan out."

If so ... the Gentry trade is huge.

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

M Moreland Post AS Break:
2010 - 255/364/469 9hr 25rbis
2011 - 241/300/367 5hr 27rbis
2012 - 278/317/426 5hr 25rbis
2013 - 183/273/366 10hr 23rbis

Unless I transposed some of the numbers there you go. 2013 by far and away MM worst last half. For whatever reason he wasn't able to play his way out of his slum.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is but I actually tend agree with him. Only reason I say that I don't know how many times I would be watching a close game with Moreland having an opportunity to help and he would fail and then when the game was no longer in doubt he would crank one. But that is just my perception of it.
Crazy to think he would only produce when we were ahead.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy to think he would only produce when we were ahead.

Or behind. But like I said that was my overall perception based on some of the games I remember it happening. I am not saying that it is fact.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M Moreland Post AS Break:
2010 - 255/364/469 9hr 25rbis
2011 - 241/300/367 5hr 27rbis
2012 - 278/317/426 5hr 25rbis
2013 - 183/273/366 10hr 23rbis

Unless I transposed some of the numbers there you go. 2013 by far and away MM worst last half. For whatever reason he wasn't able to play his way out of his slum.

And the last 28 days of 2013 he hit 155 with 1 HR and 3 RBIs. Not much down the stretch.

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. It looks like at the moment that is going to be up to Rios or possibly Moreland. I'm like you, I prefer Cruz there or even Morales but now that I look where we are on payroll and all of the loose ends on smaller contracts we still have, its hard to see them doing anything realistically, even on a team friendly deal. I hope I'm wrong though. It just seems like the FO is sending every signal it can that MM is the DH and he is going to get one last shot in the starting lineup. I think Choice is their backup if that doesn't pan out.

Dude it really looks to me like we've got MM from the left and possibly a platoon with Choice or who knows from the right.
I believe that if MM was going to be traded he would already be a Pirate or a Brewer. I think JD is sticking with him for what he's going to give the team based on the low salary, purely economics. As for Cruz vs Morales. Morales would seem to be the better fit purely as a DH.

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the last 28 days of 2013 he hit 155 with 1 HR and 3 RBIs. Not much down the stretch.

Very weak, can't deny it. I'm just afraid he's the best option we've got for now and because of that I'm hoping for the best. lol

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely needs to find his stroke. If JD has designated him to start, does that mean Choice goes to AAA to be ready in case Mitch bombs. Choice needs to be in AAA playing if he can't play. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

PAINTERMAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really feel that statement sums up the last season and a half. The runners were on base many times and just unable to score. Even Beltre had his problems with risp last year. Pretty much a team effort. Lets hope the addition of Choo and Prince help get us out of that rut. It got old real fast.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I think Choice is their backup if that doesn't pan out."

If so ... the Gentry trade is huge.

I sure hope Choice is stud. Not only could we use a young power hitter that under is control for a while, I really liked Gentry and he really looked like he figured some things out at the plate by then end of last season. I can see him having a good season for the A's- yuck.