• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not think too highly of him last year but did not realize that his brother had died until I saw it mentioned on an earlier MLBTR article.

Seems like a guy who wants to re-establish his value and might be willing to come in for a one year deal. He won't be real inexpensive though IMO.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of that too but I just don't see it happening anymore. It really seems like they have committed to Mitch, not to mention Cruz has a desire to play the OF and they did give his number to Choo. Although, I think you can read to hard into that last thing. I would love to see it happen though, I just don't see it happening. Mitch would be a great guy to be able to have come in off the bench too. I would say that our bench might be our weakest spot right now. Granted, thats something that usually gets taken care of in ST.

The only way it might happen is if we put out a fairly large number for the one year.. Our lineup and bench would be much stronger, not to mention if everyone stays healthy, we'd have a nice trade chip at the deadline. It's no secret that Tampa likes Mitch. If Tampa is ever going to trade Price, it will be at the deadline if they are out of contention(unlikely but possible). Mitch, Profar, Ross and Luke Jackson might get that done, with Odor taking over at 2nd for the Rangers

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is better? Or who would you rather have? Alexi Ogando or Tommy Hanson?

I would say Ogando. But, why is this the only choice?

I figure Yu, Perez will be rock solid. After this, we've got questions all around. From Harrison and his recovery and stamina, to Lewis & Ogando with injury concerns, to Tepesch and is he ready for a full season.

We need more major league ready arms, especially starters, at ST. As someone said here earlier and often, you need 10 ML ready starters going into the season.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS? How so? I think that would be a mistake if he took something like that. He might only have 3 good years left in him (he will be 36-37 by then) and playing at Safeco is no way to boost his value for free agency when that contract is up. He would likely be on one year contacts bouncing from team to team after than if he went that way. His best bet IMO is still to take a one year deal at a hitter friendly park and boost his value for the following season, then maybe sign a 4-5 year deal to finish out his career. I think if he goes that direction, it still likely won't be with us but would put him in a much better position to gain more financially. Of course he could completely tank out this season to but I would be completely shocked if that happened.

I meant it was BS because he was never offered 5/75.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way it might happen is if we put out a fairly large number for the one year.. Our lineup and bench would be much stronger, not to mention if everyone stays healthy, we'd have a nice trade chip at the deadline. It's no secret that Tampa likes Mitch. If Tampa is ever going to trade Price, it will be at the deadline if they are out of contention(unlikely but possible). Mitch, Profar, Ross and Luke Jackson might get that done, with Odor taking over at 2nd for the Rangers

If the price for Price includes Profar or Odor then no thanks

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, the guys sucks so bad the angels didn't want him, but we'll take him. :L

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would say Ogando. But, why is this the only choice?

I figure Yu, Perez will be rock solid. After this, we've got questions all around. From Harrison and his recovery and stamina, to Lewis & Ogando with injury concerns, to Tepesch and is he ready for a full season.

We need more major league ready arms, especially starters, at ST. As someone said here earlier and often, you need 10 ML ready starters going into the season.

Oh I agree with you ... I was only weighing Hanson vs Ogando. There are quite a few other options.

If we score Ogando out as a #4 ... and the consensus is that we'd rather have Ogando in that spot than Hanson then Hanson then just becomes a contender if signed for the #5 spot. Hanson probably wants a deal that lets him leave if he doesn't make the roster ... and TEX is wanting him to fill up the queue at AAA as well ... knowing that 'you got to have 10 SPs to start the year'.

I think he'd be a good sign to the right program and let him fight for a spot in camp and let him go elsewhere if he isn't on the roster by May 30th. Not on 40man ... although he'd probably want that too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is in The Insider from Bowden:

BEST OFFSEASON -- BIG-MARKET GM: Brian Cashman | New York Yankees

It was the most expensive free-agent spending spree in baseball history when the Yankees committed a combined $438 million for 22 years of contracts to Masahiro Tanaka, Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann and Carlos Beltran. The Yankees quickly rebuilt their outfield, catching and starting pitching with All-Star caliber players and imported the best overall talent of any team in baseball this offseason. They also get credit for walking away from Robinson Cano by refusing to acquiesce to 10 years and approximately $240 million for a player in his 30s.

Runners-up:
Jon Daniels, Texas Rangers: Signing Shin-Soo Choo and trading for Prince Fielder
John Mozeliak, St. Louis Cardinals: Signing Jhonny Peralta and Mark Ellis and trading for Peter Bourjos

BEST TRADE -- Billy Beane: Jemile Weeks for RHP Jim Johnson

As we mentioned earlier, Beane basically stole Johnson from the Baltimore Orioles for Weeks, who hit .221/.305/.304 in 2012 and lost his job as the A’s starting second baseman. In 2013, was taken off the roster and played just eight major league games.

Weeks can run but is basically a backup second baseman. For him, Beane got a closer who led the AL in saves with 51 in 2012 and again in 2013 with 50. Johnson will be a free agent next winter, which means the A's do not have a long-term commitment and could potentially gain a draft pick if he signs elsewhere next winter.

Runners-up:
Rick Hahn, Chicago White Sox: Giving up Hector Santiago in a three-way trade and getting back Adam Eaton.
Jon Daniels, Texas Rangers: Swapping Ian Kinsler for Prince Fielder and $30 million.

BOLDEST MOVE -- Jack Zduriencik: Signing Robinson Cano

By definition, "bold" aptly describes Zduriencik's moves this offseason. Bestowing a 10-year, $240 million contract on a 31-year-old second baseman can only be described as "not afraid of danger or difficult situations; very confident in a way that may seem foolish and fearless before danger."

Runners-up:
Dave Dombrowski, Detroit Tigers: Trading Fielder for Kinsler
Jon Daniels, Texas Rangers: Trading Gentry for Michael C

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, the guys sucks so bad the angels didn't want him, but we'll take him. :L

The guy lost his brother last year and that apparently had a lot to do with it. I think it's a combination of things. I'm not a fan of his delivery and it could be the reason he's lost velocity. I'm pretty sure he used to throw in the mid 90's, and is around 90 or a little below now.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy lost his brother last year and that apparently had a lot to do with it. I think it's a combination of things. I'm not a fan of his delivery and it could be the reason he's lost velocity. I'm pretty sure he used to throw in the mid 90's, and is around 90 or a little below now.
He was reported at 90-92 and has dropped to 89. ERA over 4. Time off for bereavement may have caused his drop in performance. Hope he gets better in any case.