• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I think DH is Mitch's job to lose but it would be very disappointing if Cruz went that cheap and we just had to sit on our hands. I think he will at least get $15M per year but my guess he it will be around $17M. I mean he has already turned down a $75M for 5 years deal, given the demand, I can see the years going down but I think he still could command more per season.

That 5/75 was a load of BS. I doubt he gets 15, but who knows what Jack Z is willing to give him. I think 3/36-42 will get it done.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 5/75 was a load of BS. I doubt he gets 15, but who knows what Jack Z is willing to give him. I think 3/36-42 will get it done.

BS? How so? I think that would be a mistake if he took something like that. He might only have 3 good years left in him (he will be 36-37 by then) and playing at Safeco is no way to boost his value for free agency when that contract is up. He would likely be on one year contacts bouncing from team to team after than if he went that way. His best bet IMO is still to take a one year deal at a hitter friendly park and boost his value for the following season, then maybe sign a 4-5 year deal to finish out his career. I think if he goes that direction, it still likely won't be with us but would put him in a much better position to gain more financially. Of course he could completely tank out this season to but I would be completely shocked if that happened.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After inking Rodney, the Mariners are "all in" and are "cautiously optimistic" that they will land outfielder Nelson Cruz. Seattle has been talking with Cruz and is willing to give him multiple years.

honestly, it sucks. Nellie has always been one of my favorites, had to be in our division

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, never heard about this but it looks like JD turned down a decent offer on Cruz in the winter of 2013: 4 years $56M

Rangers rejected Nelson Cruz's contract offer - MLB Daily Dish

Can't remember if the scandal was known of then or not… it doesn't seem like it. Sorry everyone.. I'm sort of a Cruz homer. I'm going to miss the guy probably more than most.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a one year deal for Cruz and the Rangers makes a lot of sense for both sides at this point. Mitch could be a backup 1B/OF left handed bat off the bench.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Z is going yolo this offseason.

He said he was going to from the start, they didn't have a lot of commitments which obviously gave him the payroll flexibility, and he's spending it.

They'll give us fits, guaranteed

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a one year deal for Cruz and the Rangers makes a lot of sense for both sides at this point. Mitch could be a backup 1B/OF left handed bat off the bench.

I have already posted about this before, so excuse me repeating myself.
My opinion is, when you're his age, you don't risk a one year deal, if it's a down year, hurts his value and another year older.
he'll sign for the most years, most money

don't get me wrong, I'd probably cry for joy if we could sign him for a year, but it's so very unlikely...imo

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the idea of that too but I just don't see it happening anymore. It really seems like they have committed to Mitch, not to mention Cruz has a desire to play the OF and they did give his number to Choo. Although, I think you can read to hard into that last thing. I would love to see it happen though, I just don't see it happening. Mitch would be a great guy to be able to have come in off the bench too. I would say that our bench might be our weakest spot right now. Granted, thats something that usually gets taken care of in ST.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already posted about this before, so excuse me repeating myself.
My opinion is, when you're his age, you don't risk a one year deal, if it's a down year, hurts his value and another year older.
he'll sign for the most years, most money

don't get me wrong, I'd probably cry for joy if we could sign him for a year, but it's so very unlikely...imo

Yeah, I really don't disagree with this either. He is really in a tough spot which is mostly his fault, he is about at the age where its his last chance to lock up that career contract. Had the PEDs thing not happened and he continued to play the way he was last season, he would have been signed a long time ago. There is definitely a risk involved with taking a 1 year deal as well but I think if he is feeling good and confident about himself, its worth the risk. The the 2015 OF FA class really isn't really he exciting at the moment:

2015 MLB Free Agents: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This division is getting better and fast.

Seattle has certainly made some major strides, and Houston's farm system is killer. Hopefully the Rangers are going to continue to track toward the top, and unfortunately, we all know the A's are going to be tough.

Maybe the Angels will continue to suck. hahaha

Pretty safe to say the idea of winning 92-3-4-5-6 games in the AL West is going to be tougher for sure, even this year

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Ralph Kiner, to bad his career was only 10 years. He put up some pretty big numbers in a shortened career

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me David Murphy vs King Felix all day. Oh well I think in the end Nellie goes wherever he is offered both years and money. I don't really see a one year deal as some have talked about, based primarily on the draft pick compensation. If I am a team giving up a pick, it would seem as if you'd want more years at a lower AAV to compensate for that. That said if he signs with Seattle we might receive one of the lowest round draft picks of any signing team, as their 1st rounder is protected and their 2nd goes to the Yanks for Cano and the Rangers would get their next pick.

Yeah, you have a good point here as well… I really didn't figure that in. Not many- if any- teams are going to want to give that pick for one year deal. Maybe one of the ones whose pick is protected but they still have to give up something. You, lainey, and justin have all made a pretty good case against the one year deal or at least for him getting his multi-year deal now.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, never heard about this but it looks like JD turned down a decent offer on Cruz in the winter of 2013: 4 years $56M

Can't remember if the scandal was known of then or not… it doesn't seem like it. Sorry everyone.. I'm sort of a Cruz homer. I'm going to miss the guy probably more than most.

This much is clear

That wasn't a "good" deal then or now

Not bad back then, but not good either

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I really don't disagree with this either. He is really in a tough spot which is mostly his fault, he is about at the age where its his last chance to lock up that career contract. Had the PEDs thing not happened and he continued to play the way he was last season, he would have been signed a long time ago. There is definitely a risk involved with taking a 1 year deal as well but I think if he is feeling good and confident about himself, its worth the risk. The the 2015 OF FA class really isn't really he exciting at the moment:

2015 MLB Free Agents: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

His career contract will be a 2-3 year deal at best, if we sign him, so be it, I don't hate the guy but only with him understanding that he's a DH with some time in the OF

He's trying to play hardball in a situation in which he has no leverage and never really has since the moment he was suspended

If he and his agent are too thick headed to get this than good riddance

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe all the rumors and at this point thats all they seem to be, Cruz is really not wanting to go to Seattle or he'd already have accepted their offer. Doesn't mean he won't end up taking an offer to go there if or when they make it, if they haven't yet. Really hard to figure out what JD thinks as he will never reveal his real thoughts, but my guess is he may be resigned to just go with MM as the DH, backup 1B and OF. Based on comments they won't spend much more as the team seems to have about 15 million or so left to stay within the target payroll number for the year and I would guess another SP is probably priority before more offense. This leads to the bench questions, which will require another post

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This much is clear

That wasn't a "good" deal then or now

Not bad back then, but not good either

Yeah, I'm probably being a homer. 2013 was a tough year for him... His future had some question marks after that season too and after that performance he really didn't deserve the extention. Mostly what I was thinking when I posted this is having him till he was around 36 would be ideal for a team. I honestly think he will be pretty valuable to what ever team he goes to for around 3 more years.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm probably being a homer. 2013 was a tough year for him... His future had some question marks after that season too and after that performance he really didn't deserve the extention. Mostly what I was thinking when I posted this is having him till he was around 36 would be ideal for a team. I honestly think he will be pretty valuable to what ever team he goes to for around 3 more years.

He's always been a player who's career appears to be on the verge of falling off of a cliff, having players like that around til they're 36 is not ideal

He's never put any season together where he's been complete, he's had bouts of bad averages, low contact rates, lack of consistent power stroke or health/PED issues all throughout his career

Luckily for us he was a late bloomer and we got his best years for pretty cheap, anything more than 2-3 years is really pressing your luck at this point

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We talked about it here last winter ... maybe wasn't covered on the ESPN board. As I remember it we thought that 4 for 56 was a bit rich for him. Especially the years.

The thing is ... if Cruz were signed then he's the every day DH leaving two LH bats in a row (Martin #9, Choo #1) and no other LH bats other than Profar SH. Without Mitch in the lineup there is no power LH bat either although Martin might become one. Having Cruz would move Rios down to #6 which would make many here happy. If we knew MM was going to have a year like CD did last year this would all be easy. But I am sure edgy with the idea of Cruz going to SEA.

Let me ask this ... why isn't SEA trying to resign Morales? Are they just playing with Cruz to keep him away from TEX long enough that TEX goes another route? ... and then they go sign Morales leaving Cruz out in the cold?