• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland extended crisp for 2 years 22.75 mm. I hate him.

Arroyo signs with diamondbacks. Don't know the details though.
Free agent pitcher Bronson Arroyo and the Arizona Diamondbacks have reached agreement on a two-year contract with an option year, a baseball source told ESPN.com.
Arroyo will make a base salary of $9.5 million this season and in 2015, according to the source. The deal includes an $11 million club option for 2016 and a $4.5 million buyout. If the Diamondbacks decline to exercise the option, he'll receive a guaranteed $23.5 million.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent pitcher Bronson Arroyo and the Arizona Diamondbacks have reached agreement on a two-year contract with an option year, a baseball source told ESPN.com.
Arroyo will make a base salary of $9.5 million this season and in 2015, according to the source. The deal includes an $11 million club option for 2016 and a $4.5 million buyout. If the Diamondbacks decline to exercise the option, he'll receive a guaranteed $23.5 million.

Wow...that's a lot of money for a dude pitching in a homer prone park.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Hitzges this morning, and I believe he gave the stat of: Cruz hitting .239 for 46 (48) games at Safeco Field. He gave some rather under impressive OBP, power stats as well. I know they've move the fences in, but if I'm Nellie, I don't go there unless I can get 2 years with an 3rd year option. IMO, he'd be better off taking a one year deal with a team in hitter friendly atmosphere.

Yeah, I'm not sure about lifetime but I looked up the last 3 seasons and at Safeco and if I remember correctly, he had something like a .198 AVG, 2 HRs, and 4 RBI in 86 ABs. But to his credit, most of that came in last season when the fences were moved in. If I remember correctly, it was a .278 AVG with 1 HR and 3 RBI last season. He has struck the most at of any away park at Safeco though… but that stat might have King Felix all over it. If I'm Cruz, the only way I got o the M's is if (1. they are the only team to make an offer. (2. if they at least lock me up till I'm 37-38. Because I think that ballpark will destroy his value and he will have a hard time getting any sort of multi-year after his time is up with them.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thats definitely more that JD was going to give for him… options are running low. I hope we are willing to go after someone of a better caliber than Hanson though. At this point an overpay is probably inevitable.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the latest with the Korean pitcher? Have the Rangers cooled off on him? I haven't seen anything lately...

you know, that nail fungus ad below is truly gross....

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats definitely more that JD was going to give for him… options are running low. I hope we are willing to go after someone of a better caliber than Hanson though. At this point an overpay is probably inevitable.

All depends on who is available and the cost.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not sure about lifetime but I looked up the last 3 seasons and at Safeco and if I remember correctly, he had something like a .198 AVG, 2 HRs, and 4 RBI in 86 ABs. But to his credit, most of that came in last season when the fences were moved in. If I remember correctly, it was a .278 AVG with 1 HR and 3 RBI last season. He has struck the most at of any away park at Safeco though… but that stat might have King Felix all over it. If I'm Cruz, the only way I got o the M's is if (1. they are the only team to make an offer. (2. if they at least lock me up till I'm 37-38. Because I think that ballpark will destroy his value and he will have a hard time getting any sort of multi-year after his time is up with them.

Decent point about who he was facing while swinging for Texas. Other than that, you said what I said; just with a little different verbiage.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends on who is available and the cost.

Was it you, jta, who? that was talking about how we need 10 starter options when the season begins? I had never thought of it in those specific numbers, but it's a damn good point.

I'd be foolish to be any faith in a Hanson to come in and light it up. But, the low cost, low risk is well worth giving him a look IMO.

But hell, we are looking at bringing in that over-weight toad who pitched for the A's and he's somewhere between 42 and 59.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland extended crisp for 2 years 22.75 mm. I hate him.

Arroyo signs with diamondbacks. Don't know the details though.

Look for Coco to suffer more injuries this year....it's breakdown time
just a hunch

:whistle:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the piggybank is empty.
I don't see any overpays for pitching. And quite frankly, the rotation is so iffy....(right now)
well, let's just hope for A LOT of runs, if the team can pull that off, we have a shot.

I don't have strong division-win hopes for this team, (after Holland went down) but it would be nice to score some runs.
may have to kick the deep-playoff-run-hopes into next season, and that's okay. Still a competitive team, farm still decent...hopefully some of those youngsters pay off.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any overpays for pitching. And quite frankly, the rotation is so iffy....(right now)
well, let's just hope for A LOT of runs, if the team can pull that off, we have a shot.

I don't have strong division-win hopes for this team, (after Holland went down) but it would be nice to score some runs.
may have to kick the deep-playoff-run-hopes into next season, and that's okay. Still a competitive team, farm still decent...hopefully some of those youngsters pay off.
Keep your eye on Harrison, Lewis and Tepesch. If two of the three pan out at all, we're in. Harry's report say he will be there. Tepesch is a year into it now and Lewis is a maybe. All's not lost yet and Holland may be back to finish out. But JD needs to do a trick and find a insurance SP.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it you, jta, who? that was talking about how we need 10 starter options when the season begins? I had never thought of it in those specific numbers, but it's a damn good point.

I'd be foolish to be any faith in a Hanson to come in and light it up. But, the low cost, low risk is well worth giving him a look IMO.

But hell, we are looking at bringing in that over-weight toad who pitched for the A's and he's somewhere between 42 and 59.

It was winding, but its a philosophy I agree with, even if your top 5 is solid and legit, b/c injuries always happen

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its not about the piggy bank at this point its weighing cost and benefit, there aren't any SPs out there worth the cost for the benefit they'll provide at least in terms of upper level SPs (Santana, Jimenez)

All that's really left at this point is the Tommy Hanson's of the world. You get as many of those guys as you can on ST invites and non-guaranteed contracts and hope that a couple of them end up providing you with the innings you need to get by while Holland is out

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not about the piggy bank at this point its weighing cost and benefit, there aren't any SPs out there worth the cost for the benefit they'll provide at least in terms of upper level SPs (Santana, Jimenez)

All that's really left at this point is the Tommy Hanson's of the world. You get as many of those guys as you can on ST invites and non-guaranteed contracts and hope that a couple of them end up providing you with the innings you need to get by while Holland is out

We were able to acquire Blackley out of nowhere. He gave us a few good starts. We only need a stop-gap for at most 3/4's of the season. Holland will be back at some point. I'm really hoping the A's lose a little momentum and have expended most of their "Oakland Magic". How many games did those idiots win last year with home runs in the 8th and 9th inning? I think they will miss Colon. We all talk shit about him and rightfully so, but no matter which way you look at it, Oakland could count on that toad for a solid start every outing. The Angels gave up Trumbo who killed us every series we played them. Do they have the pitching to compete? I'd say Seattle is still one more offseason of good moves away from competing for the division, and the Astros are still a farm team. I think we're in good shape, as long as Moreland doesn't pull a "David Murphy" by being deadweight, Profar progresses as expected, Soto can hit .250 and not be an automatic out, and Leony's continues to adapt to major league pitching. It sucks that the bottom 4 of our lineup has questions, but the front office apparently has confidence in them, or maybe they're just being cheap by not ponying up on Morales.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were able to acquire Blackley out of nowhere. He gave us a few good starts. We only need a stop-gap for at most 3/4's of the season. Holland will be back at some point. I'm really hoping the A's lose a little momentum and have expended most of their "Oakland Magic". How many games did those idiots win last year with home runs in the 8th and 9th inning? I think they will miss Colon. We all talk shit about him and rightfully so, but no matter which way you look at it, Oakland could count on that toad for a solid start every outing. The Angels gave up Trumbo who killed us every series we played them. Do they have the pitching to compete? I'd say Seattle is still one more offseason of good moves away from competing for the division, and the Astros are still a farm team. I think we're in good shape, as long as Moreland doesn't pull a "David Murphy" by being deadweight, Profar progresses as expected, Soto can hit .250 and not be an automatic out, and Leony's continues to adapt to major league pitching. It sucks that the bottom 4 of our lineup has questions, but the front office apparently has confidence in them, or maybe they're just being cheap by not ponying up on Morales.

The Angels rotation is better than it was last year, but their bullpen is still garbage. Frieri will blow his share of saves. They lost Bourjos and Trumbo but I expect them to have a better year. They had some youngsters really start playing well at the end of they year, and they added Freese. It's going to be even tougher to win this division this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels rotation is better than it was last year, but their bullpen is still garbage. Frieri will blow his share of saves. They lost Bourjos and Trumbo but I expect them to have a better year. They had some youngsters really start playing well at the end of they year, and they added Freese. It's going to be even tougher to win this division this year.

I was watching a piece on MLB about how the Cards improved this year by increasing the WAR at each position and part of that was getting rid of Freese and his -0.3 WAR.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching a piece on MLB about how the Cards improved this year by increasing the WAR at each position and part of that was getting rid of Freese and his -0.3 WAR.

He had a 3.8 the year before, and I consider Freese an upgrade over Callaspo. A change of scenery could do him some good or the Angels could destroy another talent.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sadly, he's still probably an improvement over what they had last year, and it was a down year for him

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their rotation should be be better but they are relying on some young guys (Santiago, Skaggs, Richards) so nothing is guaranteed there

A full season of Weaver would help a lot too, but after those guys it gets ugly quick (not to mention the uncertainty of the other 3 guys as is)

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their rotation should be be better but they are relying on some young guys (Santiago, Skaggs, Richards) so nothing is guaranteed there

A full season of Weaver would help a lot too, but after those guys it gets ugly quick (not to mention the uncertainty of the other 3 guys as is)

I think Santiago is the pitcher that concerns me. I did not want the Angels to get him but I hope my concerns are nothing and he stinks the place up.