• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome. Has there been any chatter about the contract he is looking for or expected to sign?

Cant remember where I saw it - might have been BR - but somewhere along the lines of 2-3yrs for $10 million. And he could be along the lines of what Ryu was last season for the Dodgers...or may not be.

Interest intensified when Holland went down.

That said - O's are in the lead for his services. (or so they say).

And apparently A.J. is willing to at least listen to the Rangers...since he's from Arkansas. Hmmmmm.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant remember where I saw it - might have been BR - but somewhere along the lines of 2-3yrs for $10 million. And he could be along the lines of what Ryu was last season for the Dodgers...or may not be.

Interest intensified when Holland went down.

That said - O's are in the lead for his services. (or so they say).

And apparently A.J. is willing to at least listen to the Rangers...since he's from Arkansas. Hmmmmm.

What I heard was that the O's have $15MM still to spend per their self-imposed cap, so that is probably why they are considered the favorites to land anyone they look at. I expect AJ to stay on the east coast, and I'm ok with that if the O's get him and this Korean guy falls to us on a 3 year deal. Even if it is a 3/$15, that is a liveable salary for an SP and then if we don't have room for him and he is serviceable this year we might be able to shop him around.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I heard was that the O's have $15MM still to spend per their self-imposed cap, so that is probably why they are considered the favorites to land anyone they look at. I expect AJ to stay on the east coast, and I'm ok with that if the O's get him and this Korean guy falls to us on a 3 year deal. Even if it is a 3/$15, that is a liveable salary for an SP and then if we don't have room for him and he is serviceable this year we might be able to shop him around.

I also read where a shoulder injury caused him to be moved to the closers role last year. I am guessing an injury to the closer? Not sure. But sounds like the guy is versatile.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not know this if Seattle signs Cruz.

Seattle has the sixth overall selection in the 2014 draft, meaning its first-round pick is protected under Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement. The Mariners have also already forfeited their second round pick in signing Robinson Cano to a 10-year, $240MM contract, meaning they'd "only" be looking at forfeiting their Competitive Balance round pick. Seattle won the final pick of Competitive Balance Round B in last summer's Competitive Balance lottery.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? What do you know about him, and what would you give him?

I know he's versatile with a mid 90's fastball, hard slider, and a really good change up. I saw somewhere where they compared it to Shields. I've watched videos on him and like what I see.
I'm not sure what the market is for him. Maybe something like 3/24 would get it done. That might be too much or not even in the ballpark. I have no idea on that.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I did not know this if Seattle signs Cruz.

Seattle has the sixth overall selection in the 2014 draft, meaning its first-round pick is protected under Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement. The Mariners have also already forfeited their second round pick in signing Robinson Cano to a 10-year, $240MM contract, meaning they'd "only" be looking at forfeiting their Competitive Balance round pick. Seattle won the final pick of Competitive Balance Round B in last summer's Competitive Balance lottery.

All this is because of Curtis Flood and freaking lawyers ...

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on my phone and hadn't read Wastin's post about him being versatile. I thought I would be by myself on that one. I knew he had spent time in the bullpen and I'm sure JD likes that

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is garbage. It means we would get the 6th pick after the 2nd round is complete.

No.

It means they lose that pick...and the Rangers get a supplemental 1st round pick. Same as if anyone else signed Cruz...

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

It means they lose that pick...and the Rangers get a supplemental 1st round pick. Same as if anyone else signed Cruz...

I guess I am confused by this statement in the article - meaning they'd "only" be looking at forfeiting their Competitive Balance round pick.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am confused by this statement in the article - meaning they'd "only" be looking at forfeiting their Competitive Balance round pick.

Correct. Seattle would not be losing their 1st round pick - b/c it is protected. And their 2nd rounder is already forfeited for the Cano signing.

So to sign Cruz - they would lose their "3rd" pick in the draft. (4th pick when some team signs Morales)

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. Seattle would not be losing their 1st round pick - b/c it is protected. And their 2nd rounder is already forfeited for the Cano signing.

So to sign Cruz - they would lose their "3rd" pick in the draft. (4th pick when some team signs Morales)

To make sure I understand what you are saying above is that Seattle loses their 3rd (Competitive Balance Round B pick) but we would still gain a 1st round pick. Is that correct?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To make sure I understand what you are saying above is that Seattle loses their 3rd (Competitive Balance Round B pick) but we would still gain a 1st round pick. Is that correct?

In the event that anyone signs Cruz... yes. The Rangers would gain a supplemental first round pick. (which would be in the 30's or 40's)

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker to the Marlins for 2 years.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, looks like either the FO is committed Moreland or perhaps they are waiting to see if they can swoop in and steal Cruz. But whats probably most likely is that we are primary focused on finding a guy to fill Holland's spot. Based on what I have read here, I would prefer Yoon or Burnet but I don't think Burnet is going to happen.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointed that we missed out on him. He played some good ball for us last year and was hard on lefties.

He was crazy good until Cruz or whoever put him on the DL.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

too bad, he fit nicely as a bench player and bat vs lefties. Would have liked Baker over Rosales if those were the options.