• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morales wouldn't be part of any dh duo. He's a pretty good switch hitter. He would be the dh.

according to mlb trade rumors, there only seems to be only a couple of teams still in on Nelly and the Rangers are one of them

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct with the MLB teams

I guessed the Browns as well, but they said the answer was Buffalo Bills. I honestly cannot remember when the Browns made the playoffs since the 1980's!

Compare this with the NBA - I'm working from memory now, but I think they said that only 11 of the 30 teams have made the finals in the 2000's and there have been only 6 different champions....including the Mavs!!!

Nba- only like 8 franchises have won the title since 84. Pistons, lakers, bulls, rockets, spurs, celtics, heat, Mavs

The damn Browns made the playoffs the one time Dallas held their first rd pick, we wasted it on Felix Jones

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, I hadn't even considered this. But he's young and relatively inexpensive.

I'm not sure I can come up with the down side of at least considering signing him really.

Scouts might not like his stuff

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked my friend about the korean pitcher, and he said that he asked the international scouts if we were in on him and they said that we've scouted him before but doesn't think we're one of the teams that has already offered

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked my friend about the korean pitcher, and he said that he asked the international scouts if we were in on him and they said that we've scouted him before but doesn't think we're one of the teams that has already offered

Hey Terps. Off topic, but are you an ESPN insider? There's an NHL article about the best player at each age that I wanted to look at. Nichushkin, and Seguin are on it.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Terps. Off topic, but are you an ESPN insider? There's an NHL article about the best player at each age that I wanted to look at. Nichushkin, and Seguin are on it.

Val is going to be such a monster. Thank goodness for Jim Nill

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nevermind Terps. I just went to the Stars page and saw that you asked the same exact thing earlier today. Ha ha.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have over-estimated their value, and having that draft pick attached to them is another nail in their coffin. THe problem is their current teams really don't need them back. We wouldn't mind having Cruz as our DH, but we don't need him.. and the Mariners have essentially replaced Morales. They are both in a bit of a spot if you ask me...

I called this way back when Cruz declined the QO, he would re-sign with us if we stuck to our guns

No one is going to sign him for what we will AND give up a 1st round pick, not likely to happen, lots of people talking but no one acting

If Cruz does sign elsewhere, someone is desperate and it at the last minute

Cruz for 24 million over 2 years to play DH somewhere (maybe here), b/c no one wants him in the OF regularly

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another cheap option would be Suk-min Yoon (27) who I brought up awhile back. Supposedly he's got some offers and is going to choose soon. They're guessing 2yr/10. He's been a starter and reliever in his career.

With Holland's injury I'm certainly more open to this guy, might be a possible #5 guy or a solid bullpen piece, certainly worth a look at that price

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morales wouldn't be part of any dh duo. He's a pretty good switch hitter. He would be the dh.

It doesn't appear the Rangers have any intention of trading Moreland. That's why I think if they signed Morales, he wouldn't necessarily be the full time DH.

I honestly can't remember, is Moreland considered an adequate OF and would he be strictly limited to a backup for LF only?

I'd like to see Choice start the season in AAA, get his ABs, work on his weaknesses and then be a mid season call up or even trade chip.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't appear the Rangers have any intention of trading Moreland. That's why I think if they signed Morales, he wouldn't necessarily be the full time DH.

I honestly can't remember, is Moreland considered an adequate OF and would he be strictly limited to a backup for LF only?

I'd like to see Choice start the season in AAA, get his ABs, work on his weaknesses and then be a mid season call up or even trade chip.

Yes, an adequate OF with no speed. Not something that would excite me but is doable. But isn't it true that MM still has no contract for 2014. If so I find that odd.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, an adequate OF with no speed. Not something that would excite me but is doable. But isn't it true that MM still has no contract for 2014. If so I find that odd.

He is arbitration eligible this season and it is pending I think. Seems the last I saw MM and team were quite a bit apart. They'll come to some middle ground though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp...now I know why Law had the Rangers @ #13.

He only has 2 Rangers in the Top 100.

#44. Jorge Alfaro

Alfaro, one of my two sleepers for Texas going into 2012 (along with Cody Buckel, who broke out in 2012 but missed all of 2013 with the "yips"), repeated low Class A Hickory for most of last season after only about a half-season's worth of at-bats there the previous year, but made visible progress in many aspects of his game the second time around.

He has always had the raw tools to be a superstar, with an 80-grade arm and 80 power, but had no discernible plan at the plate other than "swing, then swing," and his tools behind the plate weren't matched by the effort or energy required to be an asset at the position. In 2013, he grew up, taking better at-bats and working harder at all aspects of his game, with good enough results for a late-season promotion to Myrtle Beach.

He's an unusual specimen for a catcher, built like a corner outfielder but athletic like a middle infielder, with the quick-twitch muscles of a player like Justin Upton, just lacking the finer things like instincts and effort required to convert them into performance. His 2013 season shows those aspects of his game are now coming, and if Myrtle Beach (a brutal park for power) doesn't stifle him, he could start to move more quickly toward an everyday major league job.

#64. Rougned Odor

Odor doesn't have huge tools, but he has the one that counts, the hit tool, and tremendous feel for the game that has always had him playing above his raw abilities.

His swing isn't textbook, with a lot of extraneous movement in his front leg and in his hands before he loads, and he never really comes set, but still manages to whip the bat through the zone and generate lots of hard contact, mostly doubles power now but probably growing into 10-15 homers down the road. He's a very good defender at second base and an above-average runner with good instincts on the bases -- and pretty much everywhere else on the diamond. He's an aggressive, intense player, one who is now learning how to channel that into consistent production at the plate.

I'd like to see a quieter approach, but you can't change a kid who's had this much success as is and may never need to make that kind of adjustment; he's a potential All-Star at second, most likely a consistently above-average regular whom coaches love for his energy as well as his talent.

Sidenote -
#67. CJ Edwards
The Cubs acquired Edwards in the Matt Garza trade last July after which we quickly saw the return of his electric stuff and athletic, if slight, build.

Edwards will sit 91-96 mph with little effort, getting natural cutting action on the pitch as well as some downhill plane, and he has a big, old-school curveball that's a 55 or 60 on the 20-80 scale, and both pitches have missed bats in the minors. His changeup has made progress and was solid-average by year-end, giving him a three-pitch mix along with average control, similar in total package to Chris Archer at a similar stage of development.

Where Archer had size to go with his athleticism, Edwards is a rake, listed at 6-foot-2, 155 pounds, and while he's not that emaciated, he's still on the skinny side for a potential 200-inning starter. He's been healthy so far, and he has No. 2 starter upside if he can handle the workload associated with making 33 starts a year in the majors, a tremendous get for the Cubs for two months of Matt Garza's time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're not signing Morales to be a part time dh.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they sign Morales, I think MM would then be on the block for pitching. Morales would be a back up for fielder and a fulltime DH. Good situation IMO.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they sign Morales, I think MM would then be on the block for pitching. Morales would be a back up for fielder and a fulltime DH. Good situation IMO.

Exactly

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand. I'm making this Morales signing up. There's no rumor to this, just throwing spaghetti and seeing what sticks.

But if we were to sign him (someone else), this is why I was asking about MM in the OF. It really does seem the Rangers want to part ways with Mitch, at least not yet anyway.

Com'on ST

Last edited by a moderator: