• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I texted my friend today about baker and he said he was probably gonna sign with an NL team. Now this news is out that Miami and Washington are in on him. That blows me away man. I just don't know how I feel with having Choice and Moreland platoon at DH. Seems like a liability to me. I wish we had just stuck with the original plan of getting Cruz or Morales, which I guess we still might do since the news on them has been particularly quiet as of late. I figured we'd just sign baker because he's cheap, familliar with us, and he's a solid option for the job.

The bottom of the line up will struggle to score runs as currently constructed.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
choice needs to be in AAA if he's not playing every day.

I agree, I don't want us to mess with another young player. Plus would like to see how he does playing every day at AAA.

I agree with others about Cruz and his familiarity and being able to give some rest to the OF. The plus about Morales is he is younger, a switch hitter, and if we did trade Moreland for some pitching he can back Fielder up at 1B. Of course we then have two mediocre 1B.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You may be right but I think we will see more out of Profar with him playing one position on a consistent basis. And with the speed of Martin and occasional pop from Soto/JP they may surprise us. Martin's pitch recognition will be a big part with him being successful.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
choice needs to be in AAA if he's not playing every day.
Agree with you Romeo and I bet he ends up in AAA. Something doesn't sound right here. A prospect DH'ing? But who knows? May work out but a little doubtful.:noidea:

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting trivia on MLB Radio this AM - discussing parity between the major sports. 28 of the 30 MLB teams have made the playoffs in the 2000's. Can you name the two that haven't made it?

Only one NFL team hasn't made it to the playoffs in the 2000's. Who is it?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vote on who would your rather take between Morales or Cruz out on MLBTR it is about even. Morales ahead 50.64% to 49.36%.

I personally prefer Cruz but I know he wants to start in the OF so Morales would be a better fit. That being said, I don't think the FO has any plans of adding either. I think we have already seen all the big moves the Rangers are going to make this off season but there may be a few minor ones left. I hope I am wrong though.

I'm like most everyone else too… I prefer that Choice gets playing time in AAA over platooning with Moreland but that does appear to be the plan at the moment.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL - Bills maybe?

2 MLB teams - 1 would have to be KC. Not sure on the other.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you Romeo and I bet he ends up in AAA. Something doesn't sound right here. A prospect DH'ing? But who knows? May work out but a little doubtful.:noidea:

Thats what the M's did with Montero… it didn't seem to work out well and he was getting in the lineup more often than Choice probably would.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting trivia on MLB Radio this AM - discussing parity between the major sports. 28 of the 30 MLB teams have made the playoffs in the 2000's. Can you name the two that haven't made it?

NFL = Browns
MLB = KC and Jays?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the NFL team… my first guess would be the Jags but I think they did make it back in 2005 or 2006. So I will just go with the Bills or the Dolphins.

For the 2 MLB teams, I would say the Royals and the Blue Jays… but maybe its the Cubs instead of the Blue Jays.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL = Browns
MLB = KC and Jays?
Correct with the MLB teams

I guessed the Browns as well, but they said the answer was Buffalo Bills. I honestly cannot remember when the Browns made the playoffs since the 1980's!

Compare this with the NBA - I'm working from memory now, but I think they said that only 11 of the 30 teams have made the finals in the 2000's and there have been only 6 different champions....including the Mavs!!!

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns made it sometime in 2000s..
I remember the Steelers beating them in the WC round I believe.

You're thinking of the Bengals. That was the game Carson Palmer got injured pretty bad. There was a season in which Cleveland won 10 games but that was the season they missed the playoffs despite their record.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vote on who would your rather take between Morales or Cruz out on MLBTR it is about even. Morales ahead 50.64% to 49.36%.
Cruz all the way. He's a Ranger (or rather was a Ranger - he knows the team and the field), he won't cost us a draft pick, and he's not Morales (I'm not a fan...)

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would seem to be the case… but you never know. I think Profar will play much better knowing where he will be playing in the field everyday. I am looking for a surprising season from him.

Also, Soto getting more regular playing time should help him a bit. He has shown some power though and has come up with some clutch hits against some big name pitchers. I still wouldn't expect him to hit over .240. Thats OK with me though as long as he calls a good game and plays good defense.

Martin has struggled some in winter ball but he has also shown that he can hit on the MLB level and has established himself as a real threat on the base paths.

I don't see any of them hitting .300 or anything like that but they have to potential to perform as good as any other bottom 3 in the league.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I texted my friend today about baker and he said he was probably gonna sign with an NL team. Now this news is out that Miami and Washington are in on him. That blows me away man. I just don't know how I feel with having Choice and Moreland platoon at DH. Seems like a liability to me. I wish we had just stuck with the original plan of getting Cruz or Morales, which I guess we still might do since the news on them has been particularly quiet as of late. I figured we'd just sign baker because he's cheap, familliar with us, and he's a solid option for the job.

It is sort of shocking that both Cruz and Morales are both still available this late. You would figure someone would have scooped at least on of them up by now. I'm sure if neither is signed by mid February that their asking prices might go down enough to raise the interest of several suiters.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just looked at seats for Opening Day and it looks as if the cheapest two people can go would be about $250. Anyone know of any better deals than that and are not planning to go? Please message me if you have any info...it would be very much appreciated. I plan to take my dad as a gift for helping me pay for college now that I have my first real job. Sorry if that is too much info. I'm just excited about the opportunity.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is sort of shocking that both Cruz and Morales are both still available this late. You would figure someone would have scooped at least on of them up by now. I'm sure if neither is signed by mid February that their asking prices might go down enough to raise the interest of several suiters.
They have over-estimated their value, and having that draft pick attached to them is another nail in their coffin. THe problem is their current teams really don't need them back. We wouldn't mind having Cruz as our DH, but we don't need him.. and the Mariners have essentially replaced Morales. They are both in a bit of a spot if you ask me...