• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew the Astros were on the rise big time. But at the end of last season almost all of the rankings showed the Rangers and Cardinals near or in the top five. And I'm not saying Law's ranking is wrong, but how'd we fall so far at years end? Although I do think his assessment of our lower level talent is, at least for now, fair.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont have a problem with it per-say...The guys are in the "boom or bust" stage currently. Just didnt think having 7 players in the Top 101 of BP would equate to a #13 rank.

But I guess Top End Talent has more weight than "majority"..

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranked 13 may be low but I can see us dropping some. The rankings are before the season and since that time we brought up a number of guys who were probably penciled in as being in the minors such as Profar, Tepesch and Grimm traded Leurys, Olt, Edwards, McGuiness, Aduci, Butler and I am sure others. So our depth at pitcher, 1b, c, and OF at the higher levels is a little depleted especially AAA. At least from what I can remember which sometimes is not much at all.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of "sure thing" prospects hurts us, as we've typically had more people in the top 25 prospects, and usually 1 in the top 10, Alfaro is our first ranked guy checking in at 39, and he's FAR from a sure thing, the 13 seems fair

Astros could be scary in a couple years if they continue to manage their minor league system effectively, as they have TONS of talent at just about every level of the minors

In 2 years is when I expect the Astros to make a noticeable jump, their biggest problem is they have "projectable" arms in the minors but few that are really high end, but I can imagine they'll be able to cobble toegther a really solid rotation from the sheer number of guys they have

Add in a couple shrewd FA moves, and there might be a power shift in the AL West sooner rather than later, and to think there are plenty of guys calling for the heads of their front office, these guys obviously know what they're doing... I just laugh at those ignorant fans

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranked 13 may be low but I can see us dropping some. The rankings are before the season and since that time we brought up a number of guys who were probably penciled in as being in the minors such as Profar, Tepesch and Grimm traded Leurys, Olt, Edwards, McGuiness, Aduci, Butler and I am sure others. So our depth at pitcher, 1b, c, and OF at the higher levels is a little depleted especially AAA. At least from what I can remember which sometimes is not much at all.

Ranked 13 for the upcoming season...fyi.

Meaning Odor is the Top Prospect - not Profar

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what he's saying, Profar has graduated from the ranks of qualifying for minor league rankings hence the drop in ranking, along with the other guys mentioned

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If a couple of those Hickory guys, Alfaro Williams, Gallo, Brinson, Guzman, Mazra, etc... make a big jump this season then you could see us being right back in the thick of the top 10

Beras is also a wild card

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see jta clarified what I was saying. I was speaking of our drop in rankings from before 2013 to before 2014.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a couple of those Hickory guys, Alfaro Williams, Gallo, Brinson, Guzman, Mazra, etc... make a big jump this season then you could see us being right back in the thick of the top 10

Beras is also a wild card

Very true. I will be really curious to see how Williams progresses especially.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlins and Nationals are interested in Baker. We might find out real soon how many ABs JD plans on giving Mitch.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vote on who would your rather take between Morales or Cruz out on MLBTR it is about even. Morales ahead 50.64% to 49.36%.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlins and Nationals are interested in Baker. We might find out real soon how many ABs JD plans on giving Mitch.

As I stated previously...the plan is for Choice & Moreland to platoon. At least, that's the current plan.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a vote on who would your rather take between Morales or Cruz out on MLBTR it is about even. Morales ahead 50.64% to 49.36%.

I voted Cruz because of the familiarity with the guys in our clubhouse and we have a back up 1st baseman already. I would like to sign either.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted Cruz because of the familiarity with the guys in our clubhouse and we have a back up 1st baseman already. I would like to sign either.
Likewise for the same reason.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I texted my friend today about baker and he said he was probably gonna sign with an NL team. Now this news is out that Miami and Washington are in on him. That blows me away man. I just don't know how I feel with having Choice and Moreland platoon at DH. Seems like a liability to me. I wish we had just stuck with the original plan of getting Cruz or Morales, which I guess we still might do since the news on them has been particularly quiet as of late. I figured we'd just sign baker because he's cheap, familliar with us, and he's a solid option for the job.