• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now come on DT if you read my posts there was nothing heated. But I did enjoy the humor from you all.
Really not directed at you but try hard and you'll figure it out.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody think Matt Garza is worth $50 mil for 4 years?

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see it myself.....I would have been very surprised/discouraged if the Rangers had made this move.

I think 12.5 a year for Garza is very reasonable, but the way last year went kinda tainted perception. If Tex had signed him for 4/50 after the trade then everyone would have been psyched. I still expected him to sign for more, so I thought it was a good deal for Brewers.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 12.5 a year for Garza is very reasonable, but the way last year went kinda tainted perception. If Tex had signed him for 4/50 after the trade then everyone would have been psyched. I still expected him to sign for more, so I thought it was a good deal for Brewers.

Perception is reality, so you're probably right. Good point about after the trade.

But knowing what we know now, 4 years is a long time with this time bomb IMO.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like every time Cruz' name is in the title on MLBTR it's to let the people know another team is NOT interested in signing him. The Reds are the latest team. If we really have moved on, then it's interesting to follow to see whose pick we'll get.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am somewhat surprised he's not ranked higher than this since we got him with the thought he might be major league ready.

Place on the list is not determined by ML readiness, otherwise Alfaro wouldn't be 39 as he's further away than Choice

Choice's ranking is about where it should be

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Place on the list is not determined by ML readiness, otherwise Alfaro wouldn't be 39 as he's further away than Choice

Choice's ranking is about where it should be

How are they ranked? Potential, expectation, or how good they are right now?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they ranked? Potential, expectation, or how good they are right now?

I guess let me re-phrase, its probably a combination of "readiness" and potential,

As many high end prospects are also the ones that have shown it at multiple levels,

However, potential has to still be the overriding factor here I think, as guys like Carlos Correa, Buxton & Alfaro are still in A ball

Guys like Buxton I have to assume are being projected to jump through the levels quickly and at a high level

But keep in mind, Choice is a guy who in AAA and supposedly has good power, he still only managed 14 HRs

I'm sure that had to hurt his ranking just a bit, I think he's going to top that number this year but it still raises questions about his projection

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess let me re-phrase, its probably a combination of "readiness" and potential,

As many high end prospects are also the ones that have shown it at multiple levels,

However, potential has to still be the overriding factor here I think, as guys like Carlos Correa, Buxton & Alfaro are still in A ball

Guys like Buxton I have to assume are being projected to jump through the levels quickly and at a high level

But keep in mind, Choice is a guy who in AAA and supposedly has good power, he still only managed 14 HRs

I'm sure that had to hurt his ranking just a bit, I think he's going to top that number this year but it still raises questions about his projection

I wasn't being rude. I was just asking.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com's top 100 list is out, we had 5 make it

Alfaro 39
CJ Edwards 42 (I know he's with the Cubs now, but interesting to see him so high)
Odor 59
Choice 72
Sardinas 76
Gallo 92

No love for Jackson?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
MLB.com's top 100 list is out, we had 5 make it

Alfaro 39
CJ Edwards 42 (I know he's with the Cubs now, but interesting to see him so high)
Odor 59
Choice 72
Sardinas 76
Gallo 92

Ah yes ... I remember. TEX got Matt Garza for 84.1IP in exchange for C.J. Edwards, Justin Grimm, Neil Ramirez and Mike Olt.

Weren't we talking some time ago about all the top of the crop pitchers TEX has sent off to other spots in exchange for disappointments we got in return?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its just deja vu ... but didn't we have exactly the same conversation about him last off season too?

And while we are talking about the bull pen ... notionally ...

CL Feliz
RH Scheppers
RH Soria
RH Frasor
RH (long? Maybe Colby?)
LH Cotts
LH Ross

All those folks who say Ogando is needed in the bullpen ... I don't think there are enough lawn chairs.

There's also Shawn Tolleson....

Are you going to get Derek to sign your hockey puck?

I got him to sign my Game 4 WS ticket while I was there.

Current Plan is to have Choice platoon with Moreland....but they'll see how thing pan out in ST. Wash revealed that info yesterday at FanFest.

No love for Jackson?

He's ranked in the back half of the Top 10 on the farm (7-9 range). Chi Chi has leap frogged him I believe. Which is not a knock on Jackson, its just that there are better prospects & arms on the farm.

Sidenote - its also promising to read that Buckel might be back on track...guess time will tell.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes ... I remember. TEX got Matt Garza for 84.1IP in exchange for C.J. Edwards, Justin Grimm, Neil Ramirez and Mike Olt.

Weren't we talking some time ago about all the top of the crop pitchers TEX has sent off to other spots in exchange for disappointments we got in return?

Of those guys the only one I miss is Edwards, the others were expendable

Have it over to do, and I probably still do it

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'd kinda like Olt back about now as I expect he'd be Moreland's DH partner once he gets a 'reset' this year. Neil Ramirez too. Grimm performed below Garza but not by much.

All in all ... Garza was a bust ... 20/20 hindsight wasn't worth what TEX gave up for him.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most of us me included wanted this trade deadline deal to happen. JD did what he thought he needed to do to take us up a notch. Garza just didn't get it done and that is not JDs fault. I feel Rios did in our other pickup at the deadline. And I agree with you jta in that I will miss none of those guys and will even be surprised if Edwards does well at the MLB level.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball Prospectus released their rankings...

Top 101 has seven Rangers:

Odor 39
Alfaro 41
Chi-Chi Gonzalez 70
Sardinas 72
Choice 79
Nick Williams 88
Gallo 95