• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like I said. I've discussed this thoroughly once before. I won't do it again.

Notice how I countered with "blame Wash" evidence ... and then ran away from the fire storm? I'm getting smarter with age and didn't fall into the abyss and explain how Game 3 misplay by YT set the stage for the deluge that followed. If TEX turned the DP that combination of Napoli and YT flubbed ... TEX gets out of the inning and takes the lead. Things went further downhill after the second string catcher wasn't able to move his feet or reach across his fat body to field a throw he knew he was going to get bang bang ... and it turned into a blow out. Should never have happened after winning Game 2.

I put the entirety of the 2011 WS failure on YT and Long Ball.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you going to get Derek to sign your hockey puck?

Adam Rosales will be there and I'm thinking of having a $1 hot dog, so I can ask him to sign the wrapper but then I may spend more on the hot dog than the signature is worth?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Rosales will be there and I'm thinking of having a $1 hot dog, so I can ask him to sign the wrapper but then I may spend more on the hot dog than the signature is worth?
Nah. DOUBLE up on the mustard

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have a Stars puck w the new logo, I bet he'd punch me if I asked him to sign it! :crutch:

No, knowing Derek the irony would be lost on him. He'd probably just sign it with a goofy grin and say something silly to you in his Harry Caray voice.

I like the guy as a player, but a Mensa candidate he is not.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, knowing Derek the irony would be lost on him. He'd probably just sign it with a goofy grin and say something silly to you in his Harry Caray voice.

I like the guy as a player, but a Mensa candidate he is not.

You're right and even if he "GOT IT", he is in no shape to try and take a swing and fall off the stage. Best i just have him sign something else and not risk further injury as i'm not sure he will be back this season at all. The micro fracture term scares the hell out of me, especially since it is his push leg.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read where Jerome Williams is close to making a decision between 3 teams. Maybe we are one of those teams.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see. 70 innings vs 150 innings. Yeah, you got this one wrong.

i am not arguing with you but pulling him and possibly Ross or Scheppers out of the pen weakens the one strong point we have with our pitching staff. we have 2 ready starters Darvish & Perez), 1 starter (Harrison) that still has to prove he is ready, and then a bunch of question marks (Tepesch, Lewis & if we do use Ogando, Ross or Scheppers) to fill the 4th and 5th spots. i would rather sign a FA starter as a stop gap until Holland returns, keep Ogando, Ross & Scheppers in the pen and use Tepesch or Lewis as the 5th starter

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not arguing with you but pulling him and possibly Ross or Scheppers out of the pen weakens the one strong point we have with our pitching staff. we have 2 ready starters Darvish & Perez), 1 starter (Harrison) that still has to prove he is ready, and then a bunch of question marks (Tepesch, Lewis & if we do use Ogando, Ross or Scheppers) to fill the 4th and 5th spots. i would rather sign a FA starter as a stop gap until Holland returns, keep Ogando, Ross & Scheppers in the pen and use Tepesch or Lewis as the 5th starter

also lets not forget that the Rangers have also brought in on minor league contracts with ST invites the following pitchers with MLB starting experience: Nate Adcock (5), Ryan Feierabend (19), Justin Germano (48) and, heaven forbid i hope not, Jose Contreras (175).

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 run lead, no way....how many runs did the Cards score in game 3? they freaking killed us... that's a red flag already in a WS.
I know there was a blown call, but that Cards team like our team that year, were obviously very dangerous offensively

How hurt was he? and how is everyone so sure that's why the ball was missed? maybe playing too shallow? If a person wants to make a better argument, then at least mention that someone should have been yelling at him to play doubles defense, the other two were playing deep...I don't know, a coach maybe?...that's a better argument, and Cruz didn't react well in his first move either, but if he had been positioned correctly it wouldn't have mattered

but what amazes me the most that everyone is sure he was too hurt to be out there, and that's the reason he missed the ball.

Maybe he was hurt, but the main reason I use for him not being out there is that he's not a good defender

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bullpen is still strong with or without Ogando, why go spend money on someone, when you already have the stopgap you speak of?

I would take Ogando over any of the stopgaps still out there

Only thing you can do now is hope that Tepesch AND Lewis pitch lights out in ST and makes the inclusion of Ogando in the rotation a moot point

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullpen is still strong with or without Ogando, why go spend money on someone, when you already have the stopgap you speak of?

I would take Ogando over any of the stopgaps still out there

Only thing you can do now is hope that Tepesch AND Lewis pitch lights out in ST and makes the inclusion of Ogando in the rotation a moot point

My feelings exactly on that last sentence.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from mlb trade rumors: The Rangers are looking for pitching depth, Durrett writes. "I mean guys that can help our big-league club," GM Jon Daniels says. "We would have been looking for that this time of year anyways before Derek (Holland) got hurt but that changes things a little bit."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ogando wants to start and everything I've read from JD & Co indicates he'll get that opportunity.

I do understand your - many others too - concerns re: his durability. But for now, he's going to get another, probably his last, opportunity to start. If he breaks down I'm sure we'll see the organization take a different approach with him going forward.

If Harrison pitches himself back into form, then it really only leaves the #5 hole left. And if Lewis or Tepesch step it up at ST, we're not in horrid shape IMO, plus it leaves the BP in excellent shape.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from mlb trade rumors: The Rangers are looking for pitching depth, Durrett writes. "I mean guys that can help our big-league club," GM Jon Daniels says. "We would have been looking for that this time of year anyways before Derek (Holland) got hurt but that changes things a little bit."

Doesn't mean that depth will be any better than what Ogando will provide, I'm all about bringing in low cost, high upside guys to compete with Lewis & Tepesch, but that's about it, let the best man win

Even a proven pitcher like Arroyo will scarcely provide more than Ogando would, only difference, way more expensive

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando wants to start and everything I've read from JD & Co indicates he'll get that opportunity.

I do understand your - many others too - concerns re: his durability. But for now, he's going to get another, probably his last, opportunity to start. If he breaks down I'm sure we'll see the organization take a different approach with him going forward.

If Harrison pitches himself back into form, then it really only leaves the #5 hole left. And if Lewis or Tepesch step it up at ST, we're not in horrid shape IMO, plus it leaves the BP in excellent shape.

As we all have seen if SP consistently go just 5-6 innings the BP will be eaten alive real quick. So what we get out of our starters will go a long way on how our BP holds up.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre says that Fielder will win the AL MVP in 2014. I love Beltre, but it will be tough to take it from Cabrera. Fielder and Trout are 2 of the ones that have a chance at taking it from him though. Beltre could as well. I expect Cabrera to be walked a lot this year without the protection from Fielder.