• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. In the pen for an entire year he might pitch 70 innings, even if he stays healthy all year. Even if he spends some time on the DL as a starter he'll pitch far more innings unless he completely breaks down at the beginning of tge season. The innings he provides as a starter, even if he has a DL stint are far more valuable than having him in the pen.

I'm a believer of having your best arms in the rotation no matter what, but I can see where he's coming from. If Ogando was in the bullpen he's probably going to be pitching in some pretty high leverage situations which can be the difference between winning and losing.

I don't think you should put a pitcher in the bullpen just bc you're concerned about potential injury. Pitchers get hurt, that's how baseball go.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Without adding anyone, here is how I see our rotation stacking up.

Darvish
Harrison
Ogando
Perez
Lewis, Tepesch, Kirkman

If Lewis is healthy and effective I'd say this is okay and we can add guys like Williams for depth. However, that's a big if, and if he's not healthy we need to consider someone like Arroyo.

Going down the stretch at the end of 2013 ... strongest pitching was coming from Perez as I remember. Depending on how Harrison looks in camp ... I might put Perez in the #2 spot and Harry in #4. When Holland returns that means three LH SPs ... that's critical mass given that most teams are heavier stocked with RH bats.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will get on my nerves more when he gets on base and steals bases at will

I'm being totally honest when I have to admit it is STILL tough to except that Gentry is playing for the A's, I'm trying to stay in denial

UGH
this kid better be worth it
baseball gods willing, Gentry can be great and everyone else on that team tanks, or a few important ones anyway

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an amazing things ... folks on a MLB chat board being accountable for their mistakes.

Whatever happened to the good old days when Larry Legend was never wrong?

It happens! hahaha

I've got a couple of dozzies previously, and quite frankly, one of which I am not admitting too.

So thanks ESPN for stepping up and taking the hit......pretty admirable actually.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you ogando in the rotation is not an afterthought. I'm betting they're planning on him being the #3 or #4 right now.

100% agree, he'll be stretched...I don't think this is even a question

(assuming nothing changes)

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plus, Garza is familiar with the NL central and pitched very well! Good deal for the Brewers imo

Too dangerous pitching in the AL again ... so running back to the friendly confines of NLC where expectations in MIL are pretty low so not much chance he disappoints. He's going to lose whatever edge he had pretty quick up there I think.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too dangerous pitching in the AL again ... so running back to the friendly confines of NLC where expectations in MIL are pretty low so not much chance he disappoints. He's going to lose whatever edge he had pretty quick up there I think.

I think it's more likely Milwuakee is offering the best contract, rather than Garza tucking his tail and running to NL.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norm just did a great segment on Nelly and his value. I can see why he hasn't signed anywhere yet. But like you said it only takes that 1 team to get stupid and offer something real high.

Here's my best guess, Seattle has made a very good offer and Cruz is holding out.

Why would he hold out? not entirely sure...maybe the one stupid team deal
or he wants to play the field and he's getting offers to DH

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm being totally honest when I have to admit it is STILL tough to except that Gentry is playing for the A's, I'm trying to stay in denial

UGH
this kid better be worth it
baseball gods willing, Gentry can be great and everyone else on that team tanks, or a few important ones anyway

In his first RBIA AB ... Gentry will get a totally different fan reaction than Hamilton did.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's more likely Milwuakee is offering the best contract, rather than Garza tucking his tail and running to NL.

If that was his best offer ... why didn't he just sign that deal a month ago? If one of those teams in the Tanaka hunt that missed out had Garza on their short list ... he didn't give them very long to call him before signing for 52/4. Seems kinda underwhelming to me.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean no disrespect, but what's with everyone's infatuation with Gentry?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you can't take Cruz out of the lineup, it's too risky if the game gets tied up, or you lose the lead.
I've been through this with Romeo before, Hamilton was hurt far worse (surgery immediately after that Series) than Cruz and not hitting as well throughout the playoffs as Cruz, but you don't pull him out of the line-up either, because they're too good...and they were game-changers

I'm sure you realize that alot of good players (any team) are frequently banged up in the Series and they rarely get pulled. And Hamilton hitting that HR that should have won the Series is a PERFECT example of why you keep hitters of that caliber in the game. He had adjusted his swing a little, you could see it...and it worked, because he's good (or he was)... players can adjust for being banged up when they're elite hitters

As far as I'm concerned, I considered it a pitching failure.... I think we need to move on from Wash, and probably will if we miss again
But I don't blame Wash for that Series, and I certainly don't blame him for keeping Cruz in.

And we've been over this before. You put your best players out on defense when you have a chance to win the game. You don't play afraid of losing the lead.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we've been over this before. You put your best players out on defense when you have a chance to win the game. You don't play afraid of losing the lead.
Right you are. How many times did Gentry go into center field late for defensive purposes?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fact is, we need ogando in the rotation more than we need him in the pen. The value he provides starting is greater than the few innings he would provide in the pen. Given the state of our rotation and need for quality starting pitching, we cannot afford to sacrifice that value and those innings for unproven fear that he might get hurt.

Maybe its just deja vu ... but didn't we have exactly the same conversation about him last off season too?

And while we are talking about the bull pen ... notionally ...

CL Feliz
RH Scheppers
RH Soria
RH Frasor
RH (long? Maybe Colby?)
LH Cotts
LH Ross

All those folks who say Ogando is needed in the bullpen ... I don't think there are enough lawn chairs.