• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is there anyone out there worth acquiring for the rotation. Maybe Arroyo, but that's the only one I can come up with.
My thought is JD and pitching staff must feel really confident in Harrison and Lewis returning or else they would have gone after someone earlier. I think if Ogando stays in the pen, that may support my thoughts. Who knows at this point but it won't hurt to hope and that is what I'm doing.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought is JD and pitching staff must feel really confident in Harrison and Lewis returning or else they would have gone after someone earlier. I think if Ogando stays in the pen, that may support my thoughts. Who knows at this point but it won't hurt to hope and that is what I'm doing.

I don't see Ogando staying in the pen. We need starters, and when healthy ogando is a good starter.

elziegreat42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were saying?? ;-) I say this in jest for the record

No prob man. I didn't even respond to your original post so I really had no dog in that fight. I do recognize your foresight however. Good call.

elziegreat42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Plus, Garza is familiar with the NL central and pitched very well! Good deal for the Brewers imo

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Ogando staying in the pen. We need starters, and when healthy ogando is a good starter.

Of course the ideal situation with Holland out would be for Harrison to look sharp and Colby and Tepesch win the other spots in ST and Ogando then is able to pitch out of the pen. But if any of those 3 do not work out then Ogando is the most likely candidate. But the problem with that is it just seems like he will end back up on the DL based upon past experiences.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if they didn't add a Bruce Chen or Jerome Williams to cover their butts. What if Colby and Harrison don't come back from their injuries as well as we hope?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the ideal situation with Holland out would be for Harrison to look sharp and Colby and Tepesch win the other spots in ST and Ogando then is able to pitch out of the pen. But if any of those 3 do not work out then Ogando is the most likely candidate. But the problem with that is it just seems like he will end back up on the DL based upon past experiences.

I'm telling you ogando in the rotation is not an afterthought. I'm betting they're planning on him being the #3 or #4 right now.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Healthy is the question. Good starter? Absolutely. If he starts and doesn't hold up..... loss in the BP as well. Well "if" is still the biggest word in the dictionary.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Healthy is the question. Good starter? Absolutely. If he starts and doesn't hold up..... loss in the BP as well. Well "if" is still the biggest word in the dictionary.

Fact is, we need ogando in the rotation more than we need him in the pen. The value he provides starting is greater than the few innings he would provide in the pen. Given the state of our rotation and need for quality starting pitching, we cannot afford to sacrifice that value and those innings for unproven fear that he might get hurt.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact is, we need ogando in the rotation more than we need him in the pen. The value he provides starting is greater than the few innings he would provide in the pen. Given the state of our rotation and need for quality starting pitching, we cannot afford to sacrifice that value and those innings for unproven fear that he might get hurt.

As long as he can go longer than 5 innings... i'm all for it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if they didn't add a Bruce Chen or Jerome Williams to cover their butts. What if Colby and Harrison don't come back from their injuries as well as we hope?
If they don't come back, at least Harrison, then Ogando will for sure be in the rotation. Bruce or Jerome won't make any difference if neither come back. Tepesh can fill in till Derek gets back. May be rough waters for a while but we will work through it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Scheppers is a good opportunity to start as well as others in ST. For some reason JD hasn't signed Chen or Williams yet. Now that too may have a meaning. Think positive and a little crazy.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you ogando in the rotation is not an afterthought. I'm betting they're planning on him being the #3 or #4 right now.

You may be right but if Ogando ends up in the pen that that is a good thing because it means Harrison and Colby are back in form and Tepesch improved. I would not have a problem with that.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't come back, at least Harrison, then Ogando will for sure be in the rotation. Bruce or Jerome won't make any difference if neither come back. Tepesh can fill in till Derek gets back. May be rough waters for a while but we will work through it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Scheppers is a good opportunity to start as well as others in ST. For some reason JD hasn't signed Chen or Williams yet. Now that too may have a meaning. Think positive and a little crazy.

They could be a good #5 though..... I mean we trotted Justin Grimm out there for the first half of the season. Most of his games were over by the second inning with the Rangers losing 6-0. At least Williams and Chen could pitch 5 innings consistently and keep us in the ball game, isn't that all you expect out of a#5? With Holland going down, we need an open competition for the #5 and for a competition you need bodies.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, the Rangers have 2 definite reliable starters right now, Yu Darvish and Martin Perez.

Matt Harrison and Colby Lewis both have proven track records as starters, but both are coming off major surgery and both have injury concerns (Lewis more than Harrison). Both might be just fine. But I'd say it's a stretch to count on both as 100% definite for the entire season.

Alexi Ogando is healthy and has had some success as a starter. But he has definitely shown signs in the past from a durability standpoint that the bullpen is probably where he is better suited. Maybe he makes it an entire season as a starter, but that's hardly a guarantee.

Then you've got the fringe starters Kirkman and Tepesch and the possible bullpen converts in Ross and Scheppers. None of those guys are sure bets to succeed in the rotation for the entire season.

I beat this dead horse every offseason, but it always proves to be true. You can never have enough pitching. I think they need at least 1 more proven durable starter, whether it's Arroyo, Maholm, Chen... whoever.