• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a good idea. Would be very hard to handle especially when Tanaka gets more before his first game. No one knows if he can live up to anything like we have seen YU do.

I tend to agree. I think it would have been a big problem for Yu to see a pitcher that he is most likely much better than who is also from Japan and making twice as much as him. And to see him in the same clubhouse game after game so the problem is always right there for him to see.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I was asking the question that would you agree or disagree that it would have been a problem for Yu. I think it would have been and possibly could be A not THE reason the Rangers did not really pursue Tanaka. It could have been a real issue.

My post wasn't in reference to your post in any way. I was just making general statements about the situation.

You could be right in that Yu probably wouldn't care for a lesser countrymen of his being signed to roughly double the amount he was. I'm not sure how much (if any) JD weighed that factor. I think the main factors at play against the Rangers not signing Tanaka were his high salary demands not fitting into the already expanded budget and other teams needing/wanting him more to the point they overpay for him.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My post wasn't in reference to your post in any way. I was just making general statements about the situation.

You could be right in that Yu probably wouldn't care for a lesser countrymen of his being signed to roughly double the amount he was. I'm not sure how much (if any) JD weighed that factor. I think the main factors at play against the Rangers not signing Tanaka were his high salary demands not fitting into the already expanded budget and other teams needing/wanting him more to the point they overpay for him.

Sorry about that. Yeah, I agree about that last part on the main reason for not signing him. The other part was just a thought I had and even if we could have afforded him I think it would have caused a problem.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry about that. Yeah, I agree about that last part on the main reason for not signing him. The other part was just a thought I had and even if we could have afforded him I think it would have caused a problem.
Totally agree. Never a good idea IMO.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a thought I wanted to throw out to you all. I am pretty sure we are not signing Tanaka anyway and not saying I want us to or not. But do you think it actually could have been a bone of contention for Yu if Tanaka signed with the Rangers and was getting paid twice as much. I can't help but think that Yu is the better pitcher and with him knowing that but seeing a fellow countryman getting paid twice as much could be hard for him to handle. And I would not blame him.
I brought this idea up a few weeks ago and I was told that I was "over thinking this". But I do think it would have been an issue, can you blame Yu? One thing is for sure, this tanaka deal will give Yu a nice floor when negotiating an extension with the Rangers. We better be ready to pay up to keep him....

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought this idea up a few weeks ago and I was told that I was "over thinking this". But I do think it would have been an issue, can you blame Yu? One thing is for sure, this tanaka deal will give Yu a nice floor when negotiating an extension with the Rangers. We better be ready to pay up to keep him....

I must have missed your post then. I really don't see where you were over thinking it.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't even know what to say about the lack of SP (at this point at least) looks like we'll find out what emerges in ST.

I did see Odor's ranking, pretty exciting
So here's my question for those who know his game better, do you think he could play third?
and, would he translate there well offensively?

Amongst the current crop ... more likely Profar would move to third with Odor playing second.

It has been a long time since TEX developed a 2bman all the way from his signing. Profar, Kinsler and Young (via TOR system) ... all started out as shortstops.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor had it ( I think it was MLB radio), that Garza may be willing to take a shorter deal to rebuild his value. If this is so, should we make a run at him? Hell, we've already shelled out a bunch for him, he was disappointing but honestly he kept us in almost every game he pitched ( giving up 4 runs with our offense often meant defeat), and our offense will be improved this year. And we need an SP! If another team gives him a 4 year deal, then "sayonara Matt", but if we could get a 2 year deal, then maybe it's worth a shot?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Who is this Tanaka guy everyone is talking about? Who does he pitch for? Is he any good? Just wondering.

Tanaka has great numbers at AA/AAA-level Japanese league ... will that transfer to MLB? Nobody knows. But when Scotty talks about taking a gamble ... paying Tanaka double TEX is paying Yu ... is an out of sight gamble ... many talking heads project him to be a TORP ... but there have been so many who project him as a #3. You don't pay that kind of money for an entire league's #3s.

Masahiro Tanaka Japanese League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amongst the current crop ... more likely Profar would move to third with Odor playing second.

It has been a long time since TEX developed a 2bman all the way from his signing. Profar, Kinsler and Young (via TOR system) ... all started out as shortstops.

:agree:

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is this Tanaka guy everyone is talking about? Who does he pitch for? Is he any good? Just wondering.

Tanaka has great numbers at AA/AAA-level Japanese league ... will that transfer to MLB? Nobody knows. But when Scotty talks about taking a gamble ... paying Tanaka double TEX is paying Yu ... is an out of sight gamble ... many talking heads project him to be a TORP ... but there have been so many who project him as a #3. You don't pay that kind of money for an entire league's #3s.

Masahiro Tanaka Japanese League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com
I'll tell you what, I'm sick of hearing about him!!! Pick a team, please!!!! :gaah:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor had it ( I think it was MLB radio), that Garza may be willing to take a shorter deal to rebuild his value. If this is so, should we make a run at him? Hell, we've already shelled out a bunch for him, he was disappointing but honestly he kept us in almost every game he pitched ( giving up 4 runs with our offense often meant defeat), and our offense will be improved this year. And we need an SP! If another team gives him a 4 year deal, then "sayonara Matt", but if we could get a 2 year deal, then maybe it's worth a shot?

I would be willing for us to go with a 2 year deal plus we do not lose a draft pick. I also read an article that suggested Cruz take a 1 year deal to try and improve his market which is something we were all talking about a few weeks ago.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound like some folks are getting bored. Well it got worse today. HOT STOVE was terrible. Josh was on today. Talked about how he loves TEX fans . YUK!

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound like some folks are getting bored. Well it got worse today. HOT STOVE was terrible. Josh was on today. Talked about how he loves TEX fans . YUK!

Time heals all wounds. As ticked off as I was with him that last half year I miss the old Ham. But not the current one.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have followed him but of course not seen him that much so to me it is hard to say. Only thing I can say from my experience of being a 3rd baseman is the transition can be a little easier for a SS to 3rd because of arm strength and being on the same side of the diamond. I know that may not be much help.

That's why I've always said, if Odor is the real deal and Andrus stays with the Rangers, then Profar probably is probably the one to move over when Odor is ready,

That's under the assumption that we still have all 3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a thought I wanted to throw out to you all. I am pretty sure we are not signing Tanaka anyway and not saying I want us to or not. But do you think it actually could have been a bone of contention for Yu if Tanaka signed with the Rangers and was getting paid twice as much. I can't help but think that Yu is the better pitcher and with him knowing that but seeing a fellow countryman getting paid twice as much could be hard for him to handle. And I would not blame him.

I think all of you are overthinking this "Yu will be unhappy if Darvish made less money than another Japanese pitcher" thing, its a different system and there's nothing Darvish or Tanaka can do about that

If it truly bothers Darvish, then work on your game, win a CY Young and opt out early and get the big money,

Pouting and pitching poorly will do nothing but hurt his next contract

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1