• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm. It's in Japanese right? Someone doesn't know how to translate. I heard it on the radio.

Yeah, I just read some stuff about it. Someone used Google Translate which translated it incorrectly. A number of people eventually corrected the translation to "I can't decide". Some people are saying it didn't even relate to baseball, but was in reference to what his new avatar should be. He wasn't specific as to what it referred to.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now that's what i classify as a gamble

Gamble? How? Texas already owns him. How is it a gamble to see if he can take a rotation spot in spring training? Id he doesn't, and they dfa him what have they lost? Nothing.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he will get another chance. I hope he does well. But if he fails, i don't want to see wash to continue to play him, like he did with murphy.

It's sad when the gm has to proof a team against the idiot manager.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any reason other than contract why Wash has to hang around?

He made a couple of good runs, so that buys him time.

If we miss the playoffs this year, especially after all this spending this offseason, for any reason other than 1-5 are all hurt at the same time...I think he's gone.

this team now has expectations of a deep playoff run, with high hopes of finally getting the WS title. I don't want us to be the new Rays...always seem to be in contention and have a good farm system, but can't win what matters.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made a couple of good runs, so that buys him time.

If we miss the playoffs this year, especially after all this spending this offseason, for any reason other than 1-5 are all hurt at the same time...I think he's gone.

this team now has expectations of a deep playoff run, with high hopes of finally getting the WS title. I don't want us to be the new Rays...always seem to be in contention and have a good farm system, but can't win what matters.

yet everyone's "dream" replacement for Wash is Maddon.
Huh.

I think Wash gets a 2-3yr extension before Opening Day.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not saying blow up the system. just think that you have to bring in someone and go with Yu, Martin, Matt, a FA starter and the best of Lewis & Tepesch leaving Ogando, Scheppers & Ross in the pen where they need to be. that's not blowing anything up.

Scotty -- Other than Colby Lewis ... who was the last FA SP who pitched well for TEX?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yet everyone's "dream" replacement for Wash is Maddon.
Huh.

I think Wash gets a 2-3yr extension before Opening Day.
Why would you possibly think that before opening day?

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know what to say about the lack of SP (at this point at least) looks like we'll find out what emerges in ST.

I did see Odor's ranking, pretty exciting
So here's my question for those who know his game better, do you think he could play third?
and, would he translate there well offensively?

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know what to say about the lack of SP (at this point at least) looks like we'll find out what emerges in ST.

I did see Odor's ranking, pretty exciting
So here's my question for those who know his game better, do you think he could play third?
and, would he translate there well offensively?

I have followed him but of course not seen him that much so to me it is hard to say. Only thing I can say from my experience of being a 3rd baseman is the transition can be a little easier for a SS to 3rd because of arm strength and being on the same side of the diamond. I know that may not be much help.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a thought I wanted to throw out to you all. I am pretty sure we are not signing Tanaka anyway and not saying I want us to or not. But do you think it actually could have been a bone of contention for Yu if Tanaka signed with the Rangers and was getting paid twice as much. I can't help but think that Yu is the better pitcher and with him knowing that but seeing a fellow countryman getting paid twice as much could be hard for him to handle. And I would not blame him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a thought I wanted to throw out to you all. I am pretty sure we are not signing Tanaka anyway and not saying I want us to or not. But do you think it actually could have been a bone of contention for Yu if Tanaka signed with the Rangers and was getting paid twice as much. I can't help but think that Yu is the better pitcher and with him knowing that but seeing a fellow countryman getting paid twice as much could be hard for him to handle. And I would not blame him.
Not even a good idea. Would be very hard to handle especially when Tanaka gets more before his first game. No one knows if he can live up to anything like we have seen YU do.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the whole Tanaka circus is a bit ridiculous. Teams are lining up to pay a guy who has never pitched in the majors before 7 years at over $20 Million a season. The scouting reports I've read on him vary from bona fide #2 with upside to middle of the rotation guy who could have trouble due to his flat fastball. The name I hear most often for a comparison basis is Hiroki Kuroda.

Would you fork over $150 million to Hiroki Kuroda? Who knows, maybe Tanaka becomes the next Darvish. But I have yet to read one single report which rates him as a sure-fire ace. He does not have the stuff or makeup of Darvish. A 24-0 record with a minuscule ERA looks great in Japan ball. But MLB hitters punish flat fastballs left up in the zone a lot more than Japanese hitters do. His cutter is supposedly filthy, but how long until MLB hitters just sit on that pitch? I guess I just see a guy who likely will be very solid, maybe even very good who teams are treating like he's Justin Verlander or even Yu Darvish and I wonder why. I've never seen this competitive of a battle to land a #2 before.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the whole Tanaka circus is a bit ridiculous. Teams are lining up to pay a guy who has never pitched in the majors before 7 years at over $20 Million a season. The scouting reports I've read on him vary from bona fide #2 with upside to middle of the rotation guy who could have trouble due to his flat fastball. The name I hear most often for a comparison basis is Hiroki Kuroda.

Would you fork over $150 million to Hiroki Kuroda? Who knows, maybe Tanaka becomes the next Darvish. But I have yet to read one single report which rates him as a sure-fire ace. He does not have the stuff or makeup of Darvish. A 24-0 record with a minuscule ERA looks great in Japan ball. But MLB hitters punish flat fastballs left up in the zone a lot more than Japanese hitters do. His cutter is supposedly filthy, but how long until MLB hitters just sit on that pitch? I guess I just see a guy who likely will be very solid, maybe even very good who teams are treating like he's Justin Verlander or even Yu Darvish and I wonder why. I've never seen this competitive of a battle to land a #2 before.

But I was asking the question that would you agree or disagree that it would have been a problem for Yu. I think it would have been and possibly could be A not THE reason the Rangers did not really pursue Tanaka. It could have been a real issue.